Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would suggest the following:

- Come down straight to Changepally
- Cut the 4-lane and drive to Uthukulli
- Exit the SH here to Tiruppur
Did this quick all-day trip yesterday. Reached Attibele toll at 11:58 pm, just 2 minutes ahead of the day pass toll we'd taken in the morning

Once we reached Gobichettypalayam, was told by locals that going back towards Chithode/Changepally is a detour so just continued in the Sathy direction and turn off at Kunnathur towards Perumanallur. Both these State Highways are in excellent condition (2 laned). No problem crossing these small villages/mini towns. Just a couple of intersections where some minor road work was in progress.
At Perumanallur, it intersects NH47 (bridge above) and going straight below the bridge takes one directly into one part of Tiruppur.

Last edited by NPV : 8th June 2015 at 09:16.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 09:36   #8642
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
At Perumanallur, it intersects NH47 (bridge above) and going straight below the bridge takes one directly into one part of Tiruppur.
Good to note this part. I was not sure if crossing Perumanallur would be a pain. Hence suggested Changepalli. So looks like pretty much all roads around this region are decent. And also crossing Perumanllur is easier than I thought.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 08:13   #8643
BHPian

I am planning a drive to Cochin sometime tomorrow. Wondering if the Palakkad - Mannuthy stretch has improved? Saw a snap some days ago on a bus getting stuck in mud, hence the query. So, should I take the Pollachi - Kollengode route or the regular Walayar - Palakkad - Trichur route?
Also - Solo drive. So if anyone is without a ticket and needs to travel to Kerala, pls PM
Old 11th June 2015, 09:35   #8644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
I am planning a drive to Cochin sometime tomorrow. Wondering if the Palakkad - Mannuthy stretch has improved?
Glen, the only fly in the ointment on the NH7-NH47 route is the stretch between Madukkarai and Walayar. You can easily do Walayar-Vadakkanchery in as many minutes as the number of kilometres, unless you hit this stretch at the peak hours - it's completely 4-laned.

Vadakkenchery-Mannuthy is also decent. Not sure if last couple of days' rains (if any) had caused significant damage!

Quote:
Also - Solo drive. So if anyone is without a ticket and needs to travel to Kerala, pls PM
You might want to post your ride in BlaBlaCar
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 15:59   #8645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
I am planning a drive to Cochin sometime tomorrow. Wondering if the Palakkad - Mannuthy stretch has improved? Saw a snap some days ago on a bus getting stuck in mud, hence the query. So, should I take the Pollachi - Kollengode route or the regular Walayar - Palakkad - Trichur route?
Till vadakkencheri,road is perfect.

VKI-Mannuthy,road shoulders are bad(in fact hardly any shoulder at most places).I would suggest you do this stretch before it gets dark,after dark its pure misery.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 12:14   #8646
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good to note this part. I was not sure if crossing Perumanallur would be a pain. Hence suggested Changepalli.
Checked gmaps again - my destination in Gobi was Pallipalayam so I was already on SH-81, so at the junction ahead I had the option of going right towards Kunnathur (which I took) or continue straight towards Chengapalli.
But the Kunnathur option takes one via Perumanallur almost directly to Tiruppur compared to the Chengapalli option where one needs to drive further on NH47 for Tirupur. Yes, if those towns were crowded it would have taken more time

Last edited by NPV : 12th June 2015 at 12:16.
Old 12th June 2015, 21:18   #8647
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
But the Kunnathur option takes one via Perumanallur almost directly to Tiruppur compared to the Chengapalli option where one needs to drive further on NH47 for Tirupur. Yes, if those towns were crowded it would have taken more time
I had not suggested NH47. I had suggested to cut through NH47 at Changepally and head straight to Uthukuli and then turn right to Tiruppur. But then I guess it also depends on where in Tiruppur you need to go. I remember @luvurride (and I think @ajitbr) mentioning, Tiruppur being notorious for one ways and hence the choice of entry to town can help save quite some time in commute within the town.

Last edited by ampere : 13th June 2015 at 10:07.
Old 13th June 2015, 08:51   #8648
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had not suggested NH47. I had suggested to cut through NH47 at Changepally and head straight to Uthukuli and then turn right to Tiruppur. But then I guess it also depends on where in Tiruppur you need to go.
I'm not sure where in Tirupur the Uthukuli road leads to. But yes sir, there are several roads each leading to a different part of Tirupur so it will help to know which road will take you to the destination fastest

Our destination was near the Railway station and the roads around it include some 1 ways so it was almost like going around an island

Hence we took the road going from Avinashi town to Tiruppur and on the return leg we took the road from Tirupur to Perumananallur to head back to Gobi.
Old 13th June 2015, 13:15   #8649
BHPian

Traveled yesterday from Bangalore to Cherthala. Started at 5:15 AM from Marathahalli and reached home by 1:15 PM with a single stop for breakfast near Palakkad exactly after 400KMs and 4.5 hours of drive.

The best part is - there are no more speed-breakers (humps) on the way that were present earlier between the entry to L&T by-pass and the previous tollbooth .

Work has also started to mark the white travel lanes on the above stretch . It was a pain without this driving in the nights.

Last edited by rejeen : 13th June 2015 at 13:17.
Old 15th June 2015, 10:44   #8650
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a question. Any family friendly places to stop for lunch in the section between Avinashi and Palakkad? Looking for something on the highway, with parking and good restrooms.

Am aware of the A2B's and the other restaurants on the Salem-CBE section, but don't recall seeing any decent places post the Chegampalli toll booth. Don't recall reading about any recently in this thread also.

There used to be a 'Chanakya' (or similar name) just before the Chandranagar Jn at Palakkad, Does that still exist?
Old 15th June 2015, 11:01   #8651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Had a question. Any family friendly places to stop for lunch in the section between Avinashi and Palakkad? Looking for something on the highway, with parking and good restrooms.
There are two Saravana Bhavans (on both sides of the highway, facing each other) at some where near Karumathampatti. Then there is one just after the road from CBE city joins NH47. And then there is a Hotel Malabar or some thing similar just 1-2 kms after Walayar check post.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 11:11   #8652
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We have had lunch couple times at the Ananda Bhavan near Avinashi bypass, it is on right side when going towards Coimbatore. Found the food to be good, lots of space for parking and decent rest rooms at the side of the building. More details here

Few km ahead of this place there is a Saravana Bhavan also (not the Chennai based original one!), saw this recently but no idea how the place is, again it is on right side when going towards Coimbatore.

The Aaryaas near Chandranagar, Palakkad is also decent but not great restrooms.
This is at the place the highway curves to left towards Alathur/Thrissur.

Last edited by NPV : 15th June 2015 at 11:15.
Old 15th June 2015, 11:23   #8653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had a question. Any family friendly places to stop for lunch in the section between Avinashi and Palakkad? Looking for something on the highway, with parking and good restrooms...
1. There's an Aaryas (I think) and some other shops, basically an NHAI Amenity centre (like the one at Vaigundam) a little after the Chengappalli toll booth (the Rs.50 toll). It's on the right side, while driving towards CBE.

2. Hotel Gowrishankar, behind a Reliance fuel station, about 3-4km after the Karumathampatti toll gate (the toll booth is not functional now). Again, on the right side, while driving towards CBE. So you have to go under the flyover and turn around. The Reliance bunk sells good diesel, had tried it a week ago. There's also a Bharat Benz showroom right next to it, with very prominent hoardings.

3. A little further ahead, before the NH splits into the L&T bypass and Avinashi road (leading to CBE city), there's a good veg hotel on the left side. Can't recollect if it's Anandabhavan or Saravana Bhavan. But, we'd tried it a few months ago, and was decent.

4. After the L&T toll booth at Madukkarai, on the left side, Gowrishankar. This has been there for ages, and they're good. You'll also get some KFC-look-alike chicken stuff in a small eatery nearby. That's also decent.

5. Ootupura, after Kanjikode. But that's not accessible from the highway as there's a flyover now. You have to take the service road.

These are the hotels I can recommend. If you only need a bio-break and a tea/coffee for refreshment, then pull over into one of those Jeyankar or Divya Bakes bakeries that dot the highway. Have tried at least 3 of them, all of them had clean wash-rooms and well lit parking space.

Quote:
There used to be a 'Chanakya' (or similar name) just before the Chandranagar Jn at Palakkad, Does that still exist?
Yes, they're still open, and at the same place. Their entrance and a portion of the building had to be demolished for widening the highway, so it looks different now.

Last edited by silversteed : 15th June 2015 at 11:24.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 11:47   #8654
BHPian

Hi folks,

I need to travel from changanacherry to Bangalore next month and was thinking to take the Theni route. However I haven't yet taken this route, so unaware.
Requesting your inputs on driving directions and a good restaurant to halt for breakfast.
Old 15th June 2015, 12:02   #8655
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent Martin View Post
Requesting your inputs on driving directions and a good restaurant to halt for breakfast.
For breakfast in Theni you can try Meenakshi Bhavan which is adjacent to a Bharat Petroleum pump campus. There is also a bigger hotel called Western Gatz with lodging, etc but haven't tried the place or their restaurant.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks