Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2008, 18:45   #226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
This is not a good news at all:( was thinking of Bangalore -Goa- Udupi trip soon
On second thoughts, its pretty okk overall. Only a small stretch between Byndoor (I think) and Kumta is bad. You know its mining truck induced damage because the bad patches are only on one side.. i.e. when they go towards M'lore with their overloaded cargo.

Beyond Ankola, I am not aware. Beltangadi to Udupi is pretty good as well except for tiny patches and the concretization work within Udupi itself.

I also went "off roading" on Beltangadi-Uppinangadi-Puttur "shortcut" road. Ghastly is not the word.

PS: Is there a seperate thread for NH17 condition?

Last edited by spadival : 7th July 2008 at 18:47.
Old 10th July 2008, 17:21   #227
BHPian

Update on road condition at Shiradi Ghat

There is an article on The Hindu today regarding the Shiradi Ghat stretch. The Hindu : Karnataka / Bangalore News : Potholes surface on Shiradi Ghat road I did not know what to say after i read this article and then thought that let me share this bad news with TEAM BHP members. I had suffered first hand driving on the trecherous stretches before the road was taken up for repair. I had driven down this strech recently in May 08, when the repair was almost complete. The Government spent almost Rs.35 crores for the repair, and in just one month, the road is destroyed by overloaded mining trucks. Corruption has once again taken a heavy toll of this stretch.
Old 12th July 2008, 09:35   #228
Senior - BHPian

update (july-10th) NH-48

Hello Guys

i am currently enjoying my vacation in Udupi, so cant write more... i travelled this thursday(10th july) and luckily it didnt rain..so driving was really a pleasure...

about the roads, really great till sakleshpur(Except the bypass road to hassan which is ok ok but bumpy sorts)

and once you cross sakleshpur and enter shiradi road condition worsens..

but i would say on a clear day, its still pretty nice as you can spot the potholes clearly. just be careful near the curves where the concrete ends. this is where the potholes have surfaced mainly

I really feel its just a matter of days before the roads become history again

according to me the real trouble is BCRoad-mangalore and then mangalore-udupi stretch

Terrible traffic jams..so be prepared to face worst traffic than even we bangaloreans are used too

all in all a pleasent experience.. considering the fact that i was haivng running fever from previous night and drove all the way(430 kms) with few crocin tablets now and then

so a normal driver would really find the roads to be heavenly
Old 12th July 2008, 20:44   #229
BHPian

Bangalore to mangalore Road condition.

Hi guys,
I desperately need to know the best route from Mangalore to Bangalore, in terms of road condition and distance. Last time I had a torrid experience travelling along this route. The Road was really bad. This time its for my dad, whos travelling from Mangalore to Bangalore tomorrow and he asked for Tg's help So guys, please help!
Regards,
TG.
Old 12th July 2008, 21:55   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Hello Guys

i am currently enjoying my vacation in Udupi, so cant write more... i travelled this thursday(10th july) and luckily it didnt rain..so driving was really a pleasure...

about the roads, really great till sakleshpur(Except the bypass road to hassan which is ok ok but bumpy sorts)

and once you cross sakleshpur and enter shiradi road condition worsens..

but i would say on a clear day, its still pretty nice as you can spot the potholes clearly. just be careful near the curves where the concrete ends. this is where the potholes have surfaced mainly

I really feel its just a matter of days before the roads become history again

Potholes already!!!! this shows the QUALITY of work done:( i think this happens only in INDIA....guess couple of months and we are back in same old days....

This is really disgusting! the guy who had got this contract would have become a lakhpati or corerpati by now and forgotten what he has done....
Old 12th July 2008, 22:23   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
There is an article on The Hindu today regarding the Shiradi Ghat stretch. The Hindu : Karnataka / Bangalore News : Potholes surface on Shiradi Ghat road I did not know what to say after i read this article and then thought that let me share this bad news with TEAM BHP members. I had suffered first hand driving on the trecherous stretches before the road was taken up for repair. I had driven down this strech recently in May 08, when the repair was almost complete. The Government spent almost Rs.35 crores for the repair, and in just one month, the road is destroyed by overloaded mining trucks. Corruption has once again taken a heavy toll of this stretch.
Who has to be blamed?...the mining trucks? or the authorities who are failing stop the wrong practices followed by the mining trucks or the people who are sitting quiet and going through the sufferings induced by these trucks?

Sad to know the hard earned money of a tax payer is going through the drains....
Old 13th July 2008, 09:30   #232
Senior - BHPian

Very unfortunate, From last few years almost all road work I can see done with bad quality, great setback for India!

I am fed up with paying tax month after month. When questioned about road quality its blame game saying funds released for National highway is too less so contractors have to compromise on the quality and Ministers blame contractors/officers.

Ultimately public will suffer too much from this situation. I realized roads (mainly national highways) are in very bad condition in Karnataka. But Few statehighways are in very good shape.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 14th July 2008, 10:53   #233
BHPian

Hi Team,

I travelled to Mangalore by bus last Friday night as i had to attend a function there. The onward & return journey was by KSRTC bus. Woke up during the onward journey when the bus was negotiating the shiradi ghat roads. The traffic was heavy with a long line of buses and mining trucks. Could see that potholes had already surfaced on the roads and could also feel them as the ride was bumpy. I was feeling so bad and was feeling frustrated because a common man cannot do much to stop this injustice to the tax payers money.

The worst was to come on the return journey saturday night. In view of two consecutive nights on the bus, i feel asleep as the bus reached BC Road. I woke up at 4am and we are still on shiradi ghat. The bus had stopped and darkness all around. The roads were jammed and traffic had come to a standstill. After some time, the traffic started moving slowly, but in start-stop fashion. As we moved along, we came to know the reason. Many mining trucks had parked on the right side of the road (left side for us when we are climbing the ghat road) and one mining truck had a tyre puncture on the left side of the road leaving a small gap of the road in which a bus / truck can barely squeeze through.

The mining trucks have become a law unto themselves and looks like they can do anything they please. Park on the wrong side, travel with 3/4 times the stipulated carrying weight. Can we TEAM BHP'ians start a mail campaign to the responsible authorities and try to bring in some change?
Old 14th July 2008, 12:03   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
Hi Team,

The mining trucks have become a law unto themselves and looks like they can do anything they please. Park on the wrong side, travel with 3/4 times the stipulated carrying weight. Can we TEAM BHP'ians start a mail campaign to the responsible authorities and try to bring in some change?
I think its a nice thing to do, atleast its better then cribbing! how to go about it?
Old 14th July 2008, 12:08   #235
Senior - BHPian

My 2 cents :

With the mining lobby in the state ministry every attempt to save the condition of this road is futile.
Old 15th July 2008, 09:51   #236
Senior - BHPian

Guys

I am back to bangalore yesterday.. and after seeing some of the posts, i consider myself lucky for not facing any traffic on Shiradi

Thanks to the clear weather, i could see that roads were better(if it rains, potholes+water= mess)

Overall, its drivable i guess as we all know how bad it was just few months back, i would say 95% good road

And about the traffic, i feel its more during the nights and early morning, if you somehow manage to reach shiradi at 10am -2 pm, you might get a safe passage i guess
Old 15th July 2008, 10:30   #237
Senior - BHPian

Rajesh, good to know its 95%better then what it was... but how soon would it get back there

Me driving down this weekend.....we can weekly updates on the condition

About the traffic jam i guess its been happening quiet often during the nights, now being a rainy season the chances are high!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Guys

I am back to bangalore yesterday.. and after seeing some of the posts, i consider myself lucky for not facing any traffic on Shiradi

Thanks to the clear weather, i could see that roads were better(if it rains, potholes+water= mess)

Overall, its drivable i guess as we all know how bad it was just few months back, i would say 95% good road

And about the traffic, i feel its more during the nights and early morning, if you somehow manage to reach shiradi at 10am -2 pm, you might get a safe passage i guess
Old 15th July 2008, 11:37   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
Hi guys,
I desperately need to know the best route from Mangalore to Bangalore, in terms of road condition and distance. Last time I had a torrid experience travelling along this route. The Road was really bad. This time its for my dad, whos travelling from Mangalore to Bangalore tomorrow and he asked for Tg's help So guys, please help!
Regards,
TG.
As of now I can say best route from Mangalore to Bangalore would be,
MLR-B.C.ROAD-GURUVAYANKERE-UJIRE-MUDIGERE-GONIBEEDU-BELUR-HASSAN-BLR
The total distance is around 360Kms, and the road condition is good all the way till Bangalore
Old 15th July 2008, 16:26   #239
BHPian

Accident

Hello Guys..
i had been to Marawanthe/Udupi from bangalore this weekend. Took the bangalore - hassan - chikmagalur - Baalehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Someshwara - Koteshwara - kundapur - marawanthe.
The condition of the road is very good and probably the nearest route (440 Kms to Kundapur).
While returning, i took Udupi mangalore bangalore route.
The condition of Saligrama and Udupi is PATHETIC to the CORE
Then, the condition between Suratkal and mangalore is very bad as there is a flyover project gng on.
Then the big surprise! I thought Mangalore-Bangalore via shiradi could be a breeze after all the appreciations i heard for THE work!
God, there is potholes all the way from Mangalore junction till BC road. And then decent road with occasional potholes till Uppinangadi.
Uppinangadi to Gundia is decent, but curves are bad..
And the traffic is too much.. every 3rd vehicle is a lorry and every 2nd lorry belongs to the mines.
12 Kms before sakleshpur onwards, the roads are amazing... here, u can really tell that work has gone thru
Then the sad part... crossed Kunigal at 12 am sunday night... i am doing 100 Kms.... Saw a temp traveller infront of me slowing down... i casually slowed a bit too.. but surprisingly he cam to a standstill skidding to my amaze..... i tried hard to stop... the wheels locked... Rammed the tempo at 70 Kmph from behind.
Grill, headlamps, bumper, bonnet damaged bigtime.... estimate 75k!!
the vehicle was towded to bangy for 3k with me and spouse inthe rear seats....

will post snaps soon!
Old 15th July 2008, 19:24   #240
Senior - BHPian

Oh sorry to hear about the Accident and good that you are safe!

Its very sad that traffic is too much because of Mine lorries I don't understand why they are not using train as transport. NH17 is also in bad state because heavy lorries.

I discussed this matter with responsible people but nothing is going to work out overcome this matter. I suggest email request to few government authorities.

Untill 2010 this condition is expected to be continued and from there it will be heaven since they will either run out Mines or law will be enforced by then. Also there is condition apply to make it happen which we will know next India elections. I hope this is true because I would like to see parmanent solution to this bad infrastructure even If it takes 2 years I am ready to wait.

Regards,

Ravi.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks