Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2008, 20:11   #241
Senior - BHPian

That was really unfortunate Pramod that you had an accident and its good to know that nothing major happened and both of you couple are fine.

I think this road will never get laid properly and though i havent personally travelled on this section ,had been hearing very bad reviews about this road.
Old 16th July 2008, 10:04   #242
Senior - BHPian

Pramod very unfortunate, but good you guys are safe!

Which car were you driving?
Old 26th July 2008, 12:45   #243
Senior - BHPian

Guys, drove down to Mangalore couple of days back...It was a diffrent feeling this time. Used to feel very nice the moment you hit Nelamangala, with huge tress on both sides giving you company all the way...but now all the trees have been choped all the way till yediyur...it looks very bad now:(

On the road part, the road till Hassan is strating to crack lots of potholes have developed, not as good as it was sometime back if they dont fix it soon then be ready for a bad ride...

Traffic, it has gone up immensely i can say that the road is dominated by "Trucks" Bullet tankers and ore trucks....

Once you hit Sakleshpur from there its very hard to over take, i found atleast 60+ lorries from sakleshpur onwards, More of Ore lorries..

Road wise i think its matter of a month or 2 before it gets back to what it was ...pathetic state! with the number of trucks plying on that road every day it will get worse in no time..

Shiradi about 6-7kms of bad patch, Soon after Gondya 2-3 turns are bad, Till BC road you will face bad patches on regular interval...

After Nelliady trucks would be parked(mining trucks) sometimes you might find 40+ trucks parked all along, this stretch might be little dangerous if the on comming traffic is heavy..

On the whole no fun driving on this road, guess have to leave wih the good old memories of NH48:(
Old 29th July 2008, 13:54   #244
Senior - BHPian

Roads are going bad day by day.. but i hope you didnt face much traffic after B C road.

Did you take the same route while returning ?
Old 29th July 2008, 15:25   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

Did you take the same route while returning ?
I have suggested him not to take this route.
I suppose he'll be taking the other route MLR-BC Road-UJIRE-MUDIGERE-BELUR
HASSAN-BLR while returning tomorrow(30-july)
Old 1st August 2008, 10:02   #246
Senior - BHPian

Yo guys am back, ya had asked Sush about the Charmadi road conditions and took a decision come via Charmadi...So took a diversion at BC road and headed towards Charmadi, at Ujire i enqured about the Charmadi road conditions with some local auto and taxi guys they advised me not to take the charmadi route as it has also gone bad, so had to get back to NH48 via Dharmasthala..

I was shocked to see that within a weeks time road had gone bad in some places...Sakleshpur town the road was nice till about 5+kms but now it has also started to tear up...

The truck traffic has gone up big time during the day time itself one can find loads of them wonder whats the status at night!

I would recommend that not to drive during the nights...

Road goes bad from Shiradi ghats...from there on on regular intervals you will come across bad patches, in a months time am sure it will get horrible!

I started from my home at 6(Basavanagar) and reached Sakleshpur by 9:45 this is with 20mins breakfast break...i reached Mangalore around 2..
Old 1st August 2008, 10:41   #247
Senior - BHPian

Few things what i notived:

A loaded mining truck wont go beyond 25kmph, came across many of them, same with the bullet tankers...Be careful of the empty mining trucks these guys behave as if a chicken let out of cage

Horn please! while overtaking, thanks to my new powerful horn i saved my self many times... these guys change lanes without indicating and many drive in the middle....
Old 1st August 2008, 11:02   #248
BHPian

guys tried through bangalore, mysore route to mangalore. It goes like this mysore -hunsur-periyapatna-kushalnagar-madikeri-sullia -puttur- mangalore. I travel to mangalore from madikeri regularly through this route i feel this route is good nowadays. Roads are excellent from bangalore to kushalnagar via mysore and madaikeri to sullia ghat section almost 80%of the pot holes have been covered up. The route through sakleshpur is worse nowadays coz of those lorries and those roads

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st August 2008 at 11:23. Reason: .....
Old 1st August 2008, 11:39   #249
Senior - BHPian

@lohith....
Never trust local auto guys.. as far as i know charmadi ghat is far far better then shiradi ghats as of now
Old 4th August 2008, 14:55   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Yo guys am back,
OT: Hope you are safe and sound. These days, you need to wear a biohazard suit if you make a trip to M'lore, with the number of diseases out there - Malaria, Dengue, Chikungunya etc etc.
Old 4th August 2008, 15:06   #251
Team-BHP Support

Recently I visited Mangalore, I completely avoided the National Horror 17 after Mulki. I took kinnigolli-katil-Bajpe-kavoor-KSRTC route to Bharath mall and back. The route was highly twisting but good, enjoyed driving to Mangalore after a long time.
Old 4th August 2008, 15:06   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
OT: Hope you are safe and sound. These days, you need to wear a biohazard suit if you make a trip to M'lore, with the number of diseases out there - Malaria, Dengue, Chikungunya etc etc.
haha i know, Was scared of mosquito's....Mangalore town seems to be fine. places like Belthangady, Nelliady were effected by CG

Hopefully the heavy rains will wash the mosq's offf
Old 4th August 2008, 15:25   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Recently I visited Mangalore, I completely avoided the National Horror 17 after Mulki. I took kinnigolli-katil-Bajpe-kavoor-KSRTC route to Bharath mall and back. The route was highly twisting but good, enjoyed driving to Mangalore after a long time.
Had been to Udupi during my visit, Panambur was flooded with lorries...100s of them, add to the mess massive potholes. people driving sedans have to be very careful and to top it all the express buses with the impatient bus drivers honking and pushing everyone off their way...

But i made sure that i troubled a express bus(Durgamba) properly this dude gave me lots of trouble till pannambur but once the roads got cleared i made sure that he was behind me all the time...
Old 4th August 2008, 15:44   #254
BHPian

What more can happen to this road? Closed for 8-10 months for repairs and concrete work, once it is reopen we are back to square one within 2 months.

I happened to visit B C Road this weekend, the whole journey was very tiresome. Rs 200 Cr is the amount officially spent on the Ghat repairs and it looks absoultely the same before the repairs(except for the concrete stretch on hair pin bends). Before it was only the ghats and now the entire stretch is ridden with potholes. Hassan bypass has almost become a cross country track. Trucks and two wheelers (between Kunigal and Hassan) are not making it very easy to hit highway speeds.

Until the 4 Lane is completed and ghats are redone with concrete i do not see any change on this NH.

Regards
Old 4th August 2008, 17:01   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Recently when i came to Udupi(parents were in Mangalore) it took me 45 mins to travel from Udupi to panambur and 45 mins from there onwards. Same story both ways..

Bad roads(broad..but under construction), heavy traffic, trucks parked all over and rains...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks