Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2011, 15:43   #1666

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
When did you start from Bangalore and how
much time did it take to get on to the elevated NH4?
Or did you take NICE road?
Ampere, I stay in JP Nagar so NICE road was the logical option for me thereby avoiding almost any inner city traffic and being on the highway straight away.

I started at 8AM, which is not too early as I always find doing that difficult not being too much of a morning person. Was on Kanakpura Road straight away and joined NICE road from there. Hit the Hubli bypass checkpost at 11:55.

I was maintaining 3 digit speeds through the entire stretch, mostly between 120-140, which given the condition of the road didn't require very high levels of concentration. However, I will recommend that anyone driving this stretch especially after Chitradurga be aware that you will find the odd idiot driving on the wrong side of the road and right at you and in the fast lane!
Arion003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 16:58   #1667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion003 View Post
The Nh-4 section from Bangalore to Hubli is excellent both ways. On the way back on Nh-4 there is a slight diversion through a small town around 18km short of Davangere, so watch out for that.
That town would be Harihar.

This point comes after Ranebennur/Kumarapatnam, and is after the 2nd Reliance bunk after Hubli. (the first one is immediately outside Hubli & is on the left. The second bunk is on the right).

So when you approach this point, the road looks like it goes straight. It does, but it is a un-divided 2-way leading into town. It is easy to mistake this because the other side (BLR-Hubli) of the highway seems correctly set-up (it is on the other side of the divider, and there is no interruption).

In case you do go down this 2-way on the left side, just stop, reverse back & get on to the highway on the other/wrong side of the divider).
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2011, 21:48   #1668
Senior - BHPian

This is great. Bangalore - Hubli in 4 hours. I wanted to have a quick check on available route from Yellapur to Sonde. Is this route a good one for a small car like Estilo? I am visiting Goa by starting on 25th afternoon with a hault at Hubballi due to my little one. Again next morning will visit Honavar via Ankola and the proceed towards Goa, a bit extra driving in wrong direction but needed to avoid bad roads.
While coming back planning to visit Sonde via Yellapur and then back to Hubbali for a hault. Any updates would be of great help. Thanks for all comments on Hubli-Ankola route while going to Goa.

-Rajiv
Old 17th November 2011, 15:29   #1669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
This is great. Bangalore - Hubli in 4 hours. I wanted to have a quick check on available route from Yellapur to Sonde. Is this route a good one for a small car like Estilo? I am visiting Goa by starting on 25th afternoon with a hault at Hubballi due to my little one. Again next morning will visit Honavar via Ankola and the proceed towards Goa, a bit extra driving in wrong direction but needed to avoid bad roads.
While coming back planning to visit Sonde via Yellapur and then back to Hubbali for a hault. Any updates would be of great help. Thanks for all comments on Hubli-Ankola route while going to Goa.

-Rajiv
Any reason you are going to Honnavar from Ankola on your way to Goa? If you want to avoid bad roads, you can take Hubli-Yellapur-Right turn onto NH17-Karwar-Goa. NH all the way. And the road was good the last time I went there.
Old 17th November 2011, 18:50   #1670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_joker View Post
Any reason you are going to Honnavar from Ankola on your way to Goa? If you want to avoid bad roads, you can take Hubli-Yellapur-Right turn onto NH17-Karwar-Goa. NH all the way. And the road was good the last time I went there.
I need to meet somebody at Honnavar. Originally planned to take the Bangalore-shimoga-Sagar route as it was en-route. But as that road is horrible I need to take the best road (my 1 year kid is with me and I do not want to take any risks). Then plan is to go to Goa from Honnavar.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 17th November 2011 at 18:56.
Old 17th November 2011, 20:56   #1671
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Goa by starting on 25th afternoon with a hault at Hubballi due to my little one.
@Rajiv, please use "Hubli" instead of "Hubballi", even though "Hubballi" is the correct name. People may not recognize "Hubballi"
Old 18th November 2011, 08:02   #1672
Senior - BHPian

Sure condor. Was just trying to be realistic.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 20:49   #1673
BHPian

Hi,

This query is not so much about the route, rather about Goa!

I'm planning to visit Goa during Xmas - on the eve and a couple of days thereafter. Could someone give pointers on what I can possibly do in Goa, apart from the usual parties n stuff? I'm looking at more of cultural events, maybe some kinda carnival etc? Anyone been during Xmas or those from Goa could provide some inputs? Thanks!
Old 11th December 2011, 09:41   #1674
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruiser View Post
Hi,

This query is not so much about the route, rather about Goa!

I'm planning to visit Goa during Xmas - on the eve and a couple of days thereafter. Could someone give pointers on what I can possibly do in Goa, apart from the usual parties n stuff? I'm looking at more of cultural events, maybe some kinda carnival etc? Anyone been during Xmas or those from Goa could provide some inputs? Thanks!
Here you go.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...st-timers.html

All questions have a thread as answers!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 11:20   #1675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Here you go.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...st-timers.html

All questions have a thread as answers!
Thanks, Ampere. Well, this will be my third (or is it fourth!?) trip to Goa But the first time during Xmas and hence the question. Running through the thread and will post further queries there.
Old 13th December 2011, 00:10   #1676
BHPian

How is the latest road condition from Bankapur to Yellapur via Mundgod?
Anybody has taken this route recently? seems to be shorter than going via hubli bypass
Old 13th December 2011, 00:41   #1677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo View Post
How is the latest road condition from Bankapur to Yellapur via Mundgod?
Anybody has taken this route recently? seems to be shorter than going via hubli bypass
I did this route in a Safari last month. Roads are good for the major part, but worst to bad roads of around 20 KMS, single road through out and you need to literally come to a stand still if you have a lorry/bus on the opposite direction. You won't find any sign board in English, so need to stop at every junction to enquire.

Also need to be careful when driving as there are a lot of stray cattle, road work (patch work) happening in between.

I avoided this route on the way back and did the Yellapur - Hubli -Bankapur. I was able to cover the section faster despite being longer.
Old 13th December 2011, 11:36   #1678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwa View Post

I avoided this route on the way back and did the Yellapur - Hubli -Bankapur. I was able to cover the section faster despite being longer.
thanks diwa, I too will follow hubli road
Old 26th December 2011, 01:19   #1679

Banglaore to Goa_Dec 2011_Road / Fog conditions

I am planning a road trip from Bangalore to Goa over the Christmas break 2011 (Leaving Bangalore Dec 28th and returning on Jan 2nd).

The last that I drove this stretch was in July this year and I encountered fog for approx 2 hours after Chitradurg. Considering that it is a bit colder now than it was in July, I am expecting some more foggy stretches (and denser fog too!) .

Has anybody driven this stretch duing the past week or so (Dec 15th 2011 onwards)? Any updates on the fog conditions? Is it advisable to hit NH4 before dawn?

Though my preference is to cover this distance during the night, I would want to avoid driving in the fog as much as possible. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on the route conditions.

Thanks
Dinesh

PS: Moderators: I could not find any open thread on this topic and am thus starting a new one. Please do move this to an existing thread in case there is one that I missed.

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th December 2011 at 10:07. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 08:57   #1680
Senior - BHPian

Just back from Goa after celebrating new year there.

The best road today from Bangalore is NH 4 till Hubli and NH 63 from there via Yellapur-Karwar. Excellent stretch thoughout except broken road - No pot holes- on the curve after Yellapur - two KMs. No big deal. The coastal road - NH 17 - from Ankola is superb too.

We left our home on Bannerghatta Road at 5 AM - and reached Cancona at 2 PM with Breakfast break at Davanagere for Forty minutes. Add another one and half hour if you are going to North Goa.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks