Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2023, 10:26   #211
BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Kerala : Route Queries

Planning to drive from Mumbai to Thiruvananthapuram, once again, this April end.

The idea is to start at 4AM from Vikhroli, thereby beating the traffic on the Pune Expressway, go the Pune - Satara - Kohlapur - Hubli - Davangare - Bangalore route.

1st day halt is at my brother's place in Bannerghatta Road, BLR which again helps me avoid BLR traffic by going via the NICE road. We expect to reach there around 8 PM.

We plan to start at 5AM on the second day and go via the Krishnagiri - Salem - Dindigul - Tirunalveli - Nagercoil - Trivandrum route. Think we should reach home by 5 PM.

Just a couple of challenges:

1. Looking out for IOCL pump with XP95: Given we'd be taking the M340i, we'd need to find out good IOCL pumps with XP95. Last month, we had done a BLR trip from Mumbai, and things got a bit dramatic when we were down to just 30km DTE before we finally found a decent IOCL pump. Is there any map to COCO pumps on the highway?

2. Uneven Roads: Though the highways are generally way better than roads in cities like Mumbai, we still have random uneven surfaces and unscientific speed breakers. Found MH highways to be plagued with this problem more than the ones in KA. My sense is the TN ones are even better. Any thoughts?
Old 23rd April 2023, 23:00   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnadevjs View Post
Just a couple of challenges:

1. ...Is there any map to COCO pumps on the highway?

2. Uneven Roads: ...Found MH highways to be plagued with this problem more than the ones in KA. My sense is the TN ones are even better. Any thoughts?

1. You can use google maps and do a "iocl coco pumps" search. It will dynamically show the locations as we move the map.
On your second stretch; Bangalore to Tvm - there are many IOCL pumps on the NH44 itself, so this should be easy to spot.

2. Am not sure on the first stretch, but on your second leg of Bangalore - Tvm, the NH44 is very good with no unexpected bad patches. The very last part of Nagercoil to Tvm could be sketchy though.
But do watch out for the metal obstacles placed by TN police on intersections. They place these obstacles in different patterns on most of the intersections.
sarathlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 12:03   #213
BANNED

There is a "search along the way" feature in Google maps, available while navigating. Can be used to find COCO fuel stations and restaurants.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 17:04   #214
BHPian

Thank you folks. We did the trip last weekend.
While traffic from Mumbai to Kohlapur was very heavy, roads are fairly good all through, with Karnataka being better than Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu being the best!

I did struggle with IOCL XP95 pumps on the MH-KA stretch though. Once we hit reserve fuel (we had topped up in BOM), we went almost 70km without an IOCL pump.

Mumbai to Kerala : Route Queries-10.jpg
We were living quite dangerously till we thankfully found an IOCL pump with XP95.

I didn't try this Search along the way route - couldn't find it on Google Maps for iOS. I couldn't even find a guide for this feature on Google. :-/
Old 23rd August 2023, 09:20   #215
Senior - BHPian

We (7 couples - all senior citizens) are planning for a trip from Payyanur (Kerala) to Navi Mumbai (staying at either Panvel or Vashi). We will be using a 19 seater A/c Traveller.

My question is that, is there any route we can select without touching Karnataka as believe Karnataka has the highest entry tax especially for travellers and Tourist buses?
Old 23rd August 2023, 09:27   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
My question is that, is there any route we can select without touching Karnataka as believe Karnataka has the highest entry tax especially for travellers and Tourist buses?
Well, theoretically there will be, considering that Karnataka does not stretch all the way across the peninsula. But practically speaking - the extra expense on fuel, food/stay, entry tax to three other states (TN, AP and TS), toll and time-is-money considerations would mean that you would be penny wise, pound foolish if you choose to do so.

Last edited by binand : 23rd August 2023 at 09:30.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 14:57   #217

Mumbai to Kerala : Route Queries

I am planning a Roadtrip from Mumbai To Kerala. Please help with any suggestions, how are roads? I am also being made aware that roads in Kerala are pretty narrow, is it safe to drive?
Old 2nd November 2023, 16:02   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donian.f View Post
I am also being made aware that roads in Kerala are pretty narrow...
There is some truth in that. But thousands of Keralites and visitors drive on these very same road each day and manage to get on with their lives.

You need to be careful & patient to drive on Kerala roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donian.f View Post
I am planning a Roadtrip from Mumbai To Kerala. Please help with any suggestions...
Most Mumbaikars drive down the MPEW and hit the Bangalore highway from Pune. Then after crossing into Karnataka, based on the destination in Kerala, they choose the entry border crossing location.

For some destinations there might be a case to be made for hitting the NH 66 at Panvel and taking the coastal route throughout.
Old 17th January 2024, 21:24   #219

Dear BHPians

I am planning to drive from Mumbai to Kochi in a couple of days. I'll be breaking the trip in 3 days driving 12 hours, I wish to avoid night drives and prefer budget accomodation along the way with a parking. Can BHPians advice on a decent route, i have driven on this route but I hear NH48 is undergoing some work lately and NH66 isn't walk in the park either?

If someone could advise on routes, diversions, things note it'll be really great. I intend to start on a early Saturday morning and reach my intended location in Kochi by early Monday Morning so as to drive into work Fresh!

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks