Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2013, 08:58   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Mumbai to Kerala : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
HVK, wont this be hectic? Take out 1-2 hours for crossing Bangalore and then the troubled Hosur-Krishnagiri section?
8 hours from Kolhapur to Bangalore, then 6-7 hours from there to Munnar is worth a long day's drive - better the tea estates of Munnar than a seedy hotel in industrial town Hosur. Even assuming you do not want to drive all the way to Munnar in one go - maybe staying the previous night at Belgaum is a good idea - you are better off staying at either Salem, Karur or Dindigul
Old 27th February 2013, 18:00   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Why stop over at Hosur? You can make it to Munnar itself with an early morning start.

Hotel Victoria, Hosur.

Hotel Tri-Sea, KK

Routing is wonky. You are doing Alapuzha-KK-Alapuzha.
Instead, consider going from Munnar direct to KK (assuming you have not firmed up H/B bookings), then driving from KK to Alapuzha.
Ok, I'll then stick to Kolhapur - Munnar - KK - Alapuzha - Kochi (Further route please)

Quote:
Driving NH17 in KL is one of the most miserable things you can do - by day - considering the heavy traffic. If you leave from KK in the morning, consider yourself lucky if you reach Kozhikode by the end of the day.
That is my single largest worry. So, if I leave from Kochi early am at about 4 am, would I be able to get past Mangalore all the way till Murudeshwar?

Quote:
HVK, wont this be hectic? Take out 1-2 hours for crossing Bangalore and then the troubled Hosur-Krishnagiri section?
I was actually contemplating doing the drive in one shot. Don't think 1000 odd kms is too hectic for me as I am used to driving such distances. The only question is whether the route is safe for driving past sunset.

Could you please suggest a travel plan past Kochi? On the drive back from KK, I'd like to visit the famous Padmanabhaswamy temple in Trivandrum. Is that enroute? I'd also like to know of temples around Kochi for my family to visit during my stay there.

Thanks a lot for your help guys.
Old 27th February 2013, 18:09   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Ok, I'll then stick to Kolhapur - Munnar - KK - Alapuzha - Kochi (Further route please)
Munnar-Poopara-Bodimedu-Bodnayakanaur-Theni-Andipatti-Madurai-Tirunelveli-Kanyakumari

KK-Suchindram (Temple)-Nagercoil-Thuckalay (Padmanbhapuram Palace)-Trivandrum (Padmanabhaswamy Temple)-Kollam-Alapuzha-Aroor-Ernakulam/Kochi

Quote:
That is my single largest worry. So, if I leave from Kochi early am at about 4 am, would I be able to get past Mangalore all the way till Murudeshwar?
Definitely. If you leave that early, you should cross Kozhikode before 730 am and just about beat the congestion in the busy Kozhikode-Kannur sector. You can be in Mangalore as early as 11 am.

Quote:
I was actually contemplating doing the drive in one shot. Don't think 1000 odd kms is too hectic for me as I am used to driving such distances. The only question is whether the route is safe for driving past sunset.
Excellent roads. Very fast. NO safety issues. Wildlfe crossings if you take the Udumalaipet-Munnar road.

Quote:
Could you please suggest a travel plan past Kochi? On the drive back from KK, I'd like to visit the famous Padmanabhaswamy temple in Trivandrum. Is that enroute? I'd also like to know of temples around Kochi for my family to visit during my stay there.

Thanks a lot for your help guys.
Off Ernakulam/ Kochi, you have the famous Chottanikkara Temple. If you take NH17 from Kochi, you canalso drop in at Guruvayoor Temple, but since it will always be crowded, you will slip on your ideal time window towards Kozhikode/ Kannur.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 18:32   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
If thats the case, then as HVK said, there are absolutely no safety issues. But make sure you do Udumalpet-Munnar in daylight. Thats one drive you dont want to do during dark. Its a visual treat.

If you start after work from Pune, you need to do at least 350 to hit Belgaum. Thats about 6 hours including a dinner break. If you start say 5PM from Pune for example, give 1 hour to get out of city and you should be in Belgaum by about 12/1 AM. (Sankam is hotel most recommended)

Now Munnar is about 1000km from here. But the last 100km should would take 3 hours due to ghats and you should also do in day time and in leisure rather than hurry through that stretch.

So even if you start by 8AM from Belgaum, you should be able to reach Perundurai at ease by evening. You have a decent place Hotel Chennis, where you can hole out for the night.

Start early the next day say 5/6AM to enter to go past Udumalpet section and take a leisure drive through the hills to reach Munnar by 9/10 AM.

Last edited by ampere : 27th February 2013 at 18:33.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 20:37   #80
Senior - BHPian

Met @moralfibre @ Munnar Deep woods resort. In fact, I guessed that he should be a bhpian just from his mannerisms and then confirmed with the team-bhp sticker.
@moralfibre - Feel free to message me any time you need a help inside Kerala.
amalji is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 15:23   #81
BHPian

Hello All,
Newly joined Team-BHP and this is my first post. Planning a trip to Kochi by Road starting 23Nov2013. I have been reading this threads and wanted to your views on
1. whats the best route to take
2. Hotels / Motels on the way which are suitable for family overnighter

Mods: Please move this comment if this is not the appropriate thread

Thank you in advance,
Chiro
Old 31st October 2013, 12:33   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiro View Post
Hello All,
Newly joined Team-BHP and this is my first post. Planning a trip to Kochi by Road starting 23Nov2013. I have been reading this threads and wanted to your views on
1. whats the best route to take
2. Hotels / Motels on the way which are suitable for family overnighter

Mods: Please move this comment if this is not the appropriate thread

Thank you in advance,
Chiro
I am also planning to do a similar trip in December. My trip is going to be 2 weeks long and therefore I included Goa in my trip. Here is my tentative plan for now. I would also like to get suggestions from everybody regarding the overall schedule and my route.

Day 1: Mumbai - Pune (150 Kms) 3-4 hrs Leaving after work
Day 2: Pune - Goa (500 Kms) 8-9 hrs Leaving in the morning
Day 7: Goa - Ooty (700 Kms) 13-14 hrs Leaving early morning
Day 10: Ooty - Munnar (300 Kms) 6-7 hrs Leaving in the morning
Day 14: Munnar - Davanagere (800 Kms) 11-12 hrs Leaving in the morning
Day 15: Davanagere - Pune (575 Kms) 8-9 hrs Leaving in the morning
Day 16: Pune - Mumbai (150 Kms) 3-4 hrs

Here is the route I am planning to take:
Linky

Planning to stay in Goa, Ooty, and Munnar at Club Mahindra. While at Ooty, I am planing to visit Coonoor also. In Kerela, my plan is to visit Kochi, Munnar, Thekkady, and Alappuzha. If possible I would like to visit Kodaikanal too. Are there any other places nearby Ooty and Munnar, that I must visit?

Please suggest if the routes in the map are good/fast/safe or if I should consider alternative routes.

Thanks.

Last edited by Immix : 31st October 2013 at 12:55. Reason: Google Maps link update
Old 25th March 2014, 11:29   #83
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am planning to visit Kerala in April and thinking of self-drive from Thane (MH).
I will be driving with my wife and 3.5 yrs old son.
Car: DZire VXI
Plan with Date: Visit Cochin / Alleppy, Thekkady, Munnar, Kodai, Madurai
14 - Thane to Satara / Kolhapur (depending on start time - may be late afternoon)
15 - Satara / Kolhapur to Mysore
16 - Mysore to Guruvayoor
17 - Guruvayoor to Alleppey (houseboat)
18 - Alleppey to Thekkady
19 - Thekkaday to Munnar
20 - Munnar
21 - Munnar
22 - Munnar to Kodai
23 - Kodai
24 - Kodai to Madurai to Hosur
25 - Hosur to Belgaum
26 - Belgaum to Thane

Please suggest if the mentioned drive plan is ok and comfortable or need to change route / destinations.

Cheers,
Sameer.
Old 25th March 2014, 11:40   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameervg View Post
14 - Thane to Satara / Kolhapur (depending on start time - may be late afternoon)
Early morning 3/4AM would help getting out of Mumbai and also beat Pune-Kolhapur traffic to quite some extent. And this way you should be able to push to Belgaum. And maybe Hubli too.

Quote:
15 - Satara / Kolhapur to Mysore
16 - Mysore to Guruvayoor
Do you want to take the Mysore option to Guruvayur ? Else you should take the 4-lane road. Hubli-Bangalore-Hosur-CBE-Palakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur.

Stay at Hosur or Salem : 15
Guruvayur : 16

Quote:
17 - Guruvayoor to Alleppey (houseboat)
18 - Alleppey to Thekkady
19 - Thekkaday to Munnar
20 - Munnar
21 - Munnar
Sounds Good.

Quote:
22 - Munnar to Kodai
23 - Kodai
24 - Kodai to Madurai to Hosur
25 - Hosur to Belgaum
26 - Belgaum to Thane
I would say strike-off Kodai for the moment. Spend time in Munnar. No point going to another hill station.

Munnar-Udumalpet-Dharapuram-Perundurai-Salem-Hosur-Bangalore-Tumkur (stay)

And then the final leg to Mumbai as per your convenience.
Old 25th March 2014, 12:07   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Early morning 3/4AM would help getting out of Mumbai and also beat Pune-Kolhapur traffic to quite some extent. And this way you should be able to push to Belgaum. And maybe Hubli too.

Do you want to take the Mysore option to Guruvayur ? Else you should take the 4-lane road. Hubli-Bangalore-Hosur-CBE-Palakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur.

Stay at Hosur or Salem : 15
Guruvayur : 16

Sounds Good.

I would say strike-off Kodai for the moment. Spend time in Munnar. No point going to another hill station.

Munnar-Udumalpet-Dharapuram-Perundurai-Salem-Hosur-Bangalore-Tumkur (stay)

And then the final leg to Mumbai as per your convenience.
Many thanks Ampere for quick suggestions.

Starting so early will not be possible for me as we are traveling with kid.
Also do not want to drive more than 10-12 hours as my wife and son will not allow me.

Day 1
Actually I have some work in Thane till 14th Afternoon so planning to start by late afternoon.
I have driven on Thane - Belgaum route 3-4 times so aware of Pune traffic, hence considering first stop-over at Kolhapur. Or may be Belgaum if my work completes early.
Day 2
Hope Belgaum to Salem should be ok considering Bangalore traffic.
Day 3
Road condition / traffic between Salem and Guruvayoor although 4 laned ?
Day 4
Road condition / traffic between Guruvayoor and Alleppey although 4 laned ?

Do you think I should add 1 more day @ Alleppy and 1 @ Munnar instead of Kodai? Please suggest.

Hope your suggestions may help in getting home approvals for drive instead of Flight + rental car. Hahaha!

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sameer
Old 25th March 2014, 12:20   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameervg View Post

Day 1
Actually I have some work in Thane till 14th Afternoon so planning to start by late afternoon.
I have driven on Thane - Belgaum route 3-4 times so aware of Pune traffic, hence considering first stop-over at Kolhapur. Or may be Belgaum if my work completes early.
Day 2
Hope Belgaum to Salem should be ok considering Bangalore traffic.
If its Kolhapur halt for Day-1, then Day-2 should be Hosur

Quote:
Day 3
Road condition / traffic between Salem and Guruvayoor although 4 laned ?
4-Lane till Coimbattore, 2-Lane from there on, but travel times are much better compared to Mysore.

Quote:
Day 4
Road condition / traffic between Guruvayoor and Alleppey although 4 laned ?
Trichur-Ernakulam : 4-lane

Quote:
Do you think I should add 1 more day @ Alleppy and 1 @ Munnar instead of Kodai? Please suggest.
You can easily spend 3 nights in Munnar and relax rather than drive to multiple destinations. Yes 2 nights Allepey (or Kumarakom) would be good. A night at Thekkady is also good.
Old 2nd April 2014, 15:27   #87
Senior - BHPian

I am planning a Thane Ernakulam trip during the second weekend of this month. Kindly advice as to the best route to be taken. Best by way of good roads rather than a shorter route. The trips is for bringing a car home rather than a sight seeing one.
Old 2nd April 2014, 15:59   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I am planning a Thane Ernakulam trip during the second weekend of this month. Kindly advice as to the best route to be taken. Best by way of good roads rather than a shorter route. The trips is for bringing a car home rather than a sight seeing one.
- There is nothing to suggest but the boring 4-lane all the way.
ime it correct to
- Get out of Thane,
- Beat the Pune - Kolhapur Traffic
- Beat the Tumkur-Bangalore-Hosur traffic
Old 2nd April 2014, 19:25   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Stick to Thane-Kolhapur-Hubli-Chitradurga-Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Trissur route. You can do it in 2 days with a break on Day 1 at either Tumkur or Hosur.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 22:05   #90
Senior - BHPian

I will stick to the same route suggested by both of you, rather than drive via Goa.
Dear HVK, your programme plan as per this link (https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzW...WtJWHJSWU1GU00) from one of your post in this thread will be very useful to me till Salem. Many thanks indeed.

Last edited by rajeev k : 6th April 2014 at 22:07.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks