Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2011, 16:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - BR Hills : Route Queries

Has anyone been to BRT recently? Just want to know if there is any new place for night stay at BR Temple side of the forest other than the IB and the FRH (Forest Rest House) ?
Old 26th May 2011, 13:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Has anyone been to BRT recently? Just want to know if there is any new place for night stay at BR Temple side of the forest other than the IB and the FRH (Forest Rest House) ?
You can stay at the K. Gudi Wilderness Camp run by Jungle Lodges and Resorts. It is not very far from the temple. You can book online here - [Jungle Lodges and Resorts Ltd]-[Wildlife and Adventure Ecotourism Destination]
Old 26th May 2011, 13:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
You can stay at the K. Gudi Wilderness Camp run by Jungle Lodges and Resorts. It is not very far from the temple. You can book online here - [Jungle Lodges and Resorts Ltd]-[Wildlife and Adventure Ecotourism Destination]
Hey sorry, I should've been more specific, I know about this JLR place and it was there when I went to BR Hills. I just wanted to know if there is any other lodges/camp came up in BRT area. It's bit difficult to get accommodation there unless you book fairly in advance.
Old 26th May 2011, 14:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Hey sorry, I should've been more specific, I know about this JLR place and it was there when I went to BR Hills. I just wanted to know if there is any other lodges/camp came up in BRT area. It's bit difficult to get accommodation there unless you book fairly in advance.
There is something called GORU KANA in BR Hills. Fauji had been there some time back and here is his travelogue. You will find more details there
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...lady-luck.html

EDIT: here is the link from the above travelogue
http://gorukana.org/

Last edited by amitoj : 26th May 2011 at 14:17.
amitoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 02:26   #20
BHPian

Anyone knows the current road conditions? I know Bangalore - Mysore - Nanjangud - Chamrajanagar - B R Hills won't fail in terms of comfort (road surface/places to take break), but if Bangalore - Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamrajanagar is *good*, I'd be open to that instead (because it is a road less traveled). Please advice.
Old 31st October 2011, 08:53   #21
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
Anyone knows the current road conditions? I know Bangalore - Mysore - Nanjangud - Chamrajanagar - B R Hills won't fail in terms of comfort (road surface/places to take break), but if Bangalore - Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamrajanagar is *good*, I'd be open to that instead (because it is a road less traveled). Please advice.
I had been to K Gudi in April and the took the route:
Bangalore - Mysore - Nanjangud - Chamrajanagar - Yallandur - K Gudi
The Nanjangud - Chamrajnagar stretch was not great, there were several rough patches and potholes, safe to keep speeds under 60 kph. But once you get to Chamrajanagar it's NH209 and that's superb. Also, the road from Yallandur to BR Hills was being relaid so again rough.
I think NH209 from Bangalore - Kanakapura - Chamrajanagar road is very good but places for breaks might be an issue unless you carry food.
Old 31st October 2011, 09:58   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
if Bangalore - Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamrajanagar is *good*, I'd be open to that instead (because it is a road less traveled). Please advice.

I was there at BR Hills last week and took the Bangalore - Kanakapura - Mallavalli - Kollegal - Yelandur - Chamrajnagar route. Ahh! What a drivers paradise! A beautiful & Scenic route with less traffic. Reached BR Hills within 3.5 Hrs including a breakfast stop at the yummy Vasu Hotel in Kanakapura. Please take this route and believe me you will enjoy your drive.

Last edited by redrage : 31st October 2011 at 09:59.
redrage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 13:01   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
I was there at BR Hills last week and took the Bangalore - Kanakapura - Mallavalli - Kollegal - Yelandur - Chamrajnagar route. Ahh! What a drivers paradise! A beautiful & Scenic route with less traffic. Reached BR Hills within 3.5 Hrs including a breakfast stop at the yummy Vasu Hotel in Kanakapura. Please take this route and believe me you will enjoy your drive.
You need not have to go to Chamarajanagar. At the fag end of Kollegala town, you need to take a left turn (just before the river) into a country side (but good) single road and after passing thru a few villages, you'd end up at the forest checkpost gate. You should be saving atleast about 50kms this way.

3.5hrs thru Chamarajanagara is very impressive.

Prasad
Old 31st October 2011, 13:08   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
You need not have to go to Chamarajanagar. At the fag end of Kollegala town, you need to take a left turn (just before the river) into a country side (but good) single road and after passing thru a few villages, you'd end up at the forest checkpost gate. You should be saving atleast about 50kms this way.

3.5hrs thru Chamarajanagara is very impressive.

Prasad
The route from kollegal town to BR hills was dug up and rerouting through villages. Also the route from Forest gate to K Gudi ( Jungle lodges) place where i was staying was more compared to the route i usually take to BR hills through Chamrajnagar.

I tried both the routes and it was more or less difference of 10 kms to Kgudi. To Br hills also difference is around 22-25 kms.

Both routes have their share of bad stretches, i prefer the chamrajnagar route as i have better luck in spottings on this route.

Bangalore - BR Hills : Route Queries-route.jpg

Name:  JLR_kgudi_Map.gif
Views: 14940
Size:  314.7 KB

Last edited by redrage : 31st October 2011 at 13:30.
Old 31st October 2011, 13:35   #25
BHPian

Quote:
The route from kollegal town to BR hills was dug up and rerouting through villages. Also the route from Forest gate to K Gudi ( Jungle lodges) place where i was staying was more compared to the route i usually take to BR hills through Chamrajnagar.
Didn't realize you went to Jungle Lodges. You are right, the forest is thicker on the Chamarajanagara side. Except for Peacocks, Mongoose and some occassional deer, I have not seen anything else, though the villagers near Yelandur do complain of elephant herd vandalizing their crops.

Prasad
Old 31st October 2011, 15:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both routes have their share of bad stretches, i prefer the chamrajnagar route as i have better luck in spottings on this route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
You are right, the forest is thicker on the Chamarajanagara side. Except for Peacocks, Mongoose and some occassional deer, I have not seen anything else, though the villagers near Yelandur do complain of elephant herd vandalizing their crops.
Actually, the stretch between BR Temple and K Gudi is pretty thick and the sightings have been pretty good on that stretch. Recently, someone here posted that he spotted a leopard on this stretch. Don't remember where he has posted though.

I personally have sighted Elephants, Barking deer, Boars, Chital, Sambar, Monkeys, peacocks etc, almost all except the cats on this stretch
Old 31st October 2011, 16:35   #27
BHPian

Well its a mere matter of luck i tell you. Happened to see a leopard on the stretch leading to K Gudi from Chamrajnagar. I saw wild dogs this time on the BR hills stretch. So i alternate between the two , favorite being the former
Old 31st October 2011, 21:28   #28
BHPian

Couple fo weeks back I hadbeen to Chamarajanagara(From here BR Hills is may be 30-40kms). From BLR to Chamarajanagara I took Via mysore, while return via kollegala and Kanakpuara.

Simply put, Via Kollegala and kanakapura road is fantastic. No need to thinks twice, it is the best road at this time.

regards,
-manju
Old 4th November 2011, 16:11   #29
BHPian

Thanks guys for your valuable inputs. So tomorrow's plan Bangalore > Kanakapura > Malavalli > Kollegal > Yelandur > Chamrajanagar > K.Gudi. Breakfast at Kanakapura. Will report the road condition next week.

Speaking of spotting, I had good lucks in Chamrajanagar - K.Gudi road before. If you're into birding, you may be interested to know I had a good shot of a Blue-bearded Bee-Eater on that road.
Old 9th November 2011, 10:09   #30
BHPian

As of first week of Nov 2011: the best route is Bangalore Kanakpura Malavalli Kollegal Yelandur B.R.Hills K.Gudi as documented in Map created by GPS Visualizer

There is not a single pothole in the whole stretch. It is not wide all the way but has zero traffic. From Yelandur, you have to get off NH-209 and follow the sign to BRT. There are two alternative roads, and one of them is newly done (which is noted in the track). Also for a pleasure drive, we went down the Chamrajanagar side, and the road is under construction there. There are long stretches with just stone-chips and no tar. Maybe it'll be ready in a couple of week's time. Till then Yelandur-B.R.Hills-K.Gudi is the best.

Me being a safe driver who'd never even try 3-digit speed in undivided unfenced highways, from K.Gudi to Bangalore Silk Board junction (~200km) I could make in 4 hours flat.
kousik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks