Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2015, 21:39   #136
BHPian

re: Bangalore - BR Hills : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Here is the rate card for safari. Link

Regarding food options at BR Hills, I was not able to find any apart from Gorukana when I checked couple of months back.
We were unable to avail the safari :( . We reached K Gudi at 3-00 PM and was informed that all vehicles were already booked to full capacity. However we enjoyed a relaxed mini picnic session beside the small lake.
A positive note on the lunch option. we did not pre-book Gorukana ; and were politely denied lunch by Gurukana crew. We decided to search nearby areas and found a small eatery 'Giridarshini'. Typical darshini style lunch, served on a banana leaf. fresh, hot and tasty. On our way back , at dusk, we spotted a sambar deer, 2 bull elephants beside a small lake and a lone gaur.
ankan.m.blr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 12:48   #137
BHPian

Bangalore to B.R. Hills & Back

We recently did a trip to Biligiri Ranga Temple (BRT), which is nested in the serene B.R. Hills, about 80 KMS from Mysore. Here are details of the route taken.

While there are multiple ways to get to B.R. Hills from Bangalore, we choose the route via Mysore on our onward journey and via Maddur for the return. Here is a summary of the trip,

29-Aug - Bangalore - Mysore (11.45am - 2.45pm)
Very familiar mid-high traffic for a long weekend. Beyond Kengeri, the traffic eased up a little bit. It’s always a pleasure to drive into Mysore (so unlike Bangalore) – you are greeted by wide roads and open spaces. We however did not have a stopover in Mys and steered left on the ring road towards Bannur (Had a short wait time for the second car, which reached Mysore an hour earlier to join us.)

29-Aug - Mysore - T.Narsipur (3.00 - 4.15pm)
Most stretches are under construction with no roads in most parts - best avoided
Alternate: Via Chamarajanagar, although a bit longer.

29-Aug - T.Narsipur - Yelandur (4.15 - 5.00pm)
Again, some stretches under construction, but better than the last sector.

29-Aug - Yelandur - B.R Hills (5.00 - 5.40pm)
Fantastic roads. As the hills get nearer, the roads get better. The road up the forest range is awesome with absolutely no traffic. We reached the home stay and freshened up for the evening program.

After two days at the quaint hill town – visiting the temple, the Raghavendra swami mutt nearby and schools for food distribution, it was finally time bid goodbye. Our trip started after lunch and we decided to take a shorter route back.

31-Aug - B.R. Hills – Yelandur - Kollegal (3.30 – 4.15pm)
Excellent roads. The Yelandur - Kollegal road, which was supposedly under maintenance is in excellent condition and a breeze to drive on.

31-Aug – Kollegal – Ranganatha Swami Temple - Barachukki falls (4.15 – 5.30)
This sector was also surprisingly in very good condition. We were warned that there are very bad stretches in this sector, but did not notice any. After a brief darshan at the temple, we headed to Barachukki only to find out that the gates close by 5.00pm (we reached there by around 5.07pm). The security was very clear that no admissions were possible beyond that.

31-Aug – Barachukki – Malavalli (5.30 – 6.00pm)
Nice roads again, with beautiful green fields on either side. As we neared Malavalli, we had to take a decision on whether to continue towards Kanakapura and take the NICE road to reach Yeswantpur or to head left towards Maddur. We decided to do the latter.

31-Aug Malavalli-Maddur (6.00 - 6.45pm)
This was the stretch with roads under construction all throughout. We realized it would have been shorter and better to head straight to Kanakapura, but a break at Maddur was planned and therefore we stuck to this route.

31-Aug Maddur – Bangalore (7.15-9.15pm)
Very familiar rush hour traffic after Bidadi and on the ring road via Kengeri and we were home by 9.15.

In summary, while the onward and return were pleasant drives, with no strict timelines to adhere to, I’d suggest taking the Bangalore-Kanakapura-Kollegal-B.R. Hills route for the shortest route. For those willing to clock extra miles (almost 45-50), the route via Chamarajanagar is exceptionally scenic and worth the extra gasoline.
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 13:50   #138
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to B.R. Hills & Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
29-Aug - Mysore - T.Narsipur (3.00 - 4.15pm)
Most stretches are under construction with no roads in most parts - best avoided
Alternate: Via Chamarajanagar, although a bit longer.

31-Aug Malavalli-Maddur (6.00 - 6.45pm)
This was the stretch with roads under construction all throughout. We realized it would have been shorter and better to head straight to Kanakapura, but a break at Maddur was planned and therefore we stuck to this route.
Thanks for the detailed route information and road conditions
I think these are the possible routes that you could have avoided.

Mysore-Nanjangud-Yalandur-BR Hills may have been an option to consider

For the return, once you got to Malavalli you should have proceeded via Kanakapura instead of Maddur , would have saved you time and the pain.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 09:51   #139

Hi!

Planning to head to Salem/Yercaud from Mysore during the upcoming long wknd from 23-25 Oct.

Vide thread todate what I could makeout is that some sections of road near chamarajanagar is decent as compared to T Narsipura

Would be of immense help if anyone can give further inputs on the following --

1. Road conditions of the following 2 options-

(a) From mysore to Sathyamangalam via Nanjangud/Chamarajanagara and exit to TN to proceed to Salem/Yercaud via Bhavani

OR

(b) From Mysore to MM Hills via T Narsipura/Kollegal and exit to TN to proceed to Salem/Yercaud via Mettur.

2. How much time to exit to TN based on one of the above routes suggested?

Cheers!
Old 20th October 2015, 10:21   #140
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby29 View Post
(a) From mysore to Sathyamangalam via Nanjangud/Chamarajanagara and exit to TN to proceed to Salem/Yercaud via Bhavani

OR

(b) From Mysore to MM Hills via T Narsipura/Kollegal and exit to TN to proceed to Salem/Yercaud via Mettur.
I think Mysore-Nanjanagud-Chamarajanagar should be fine. There are some rough patches between Nanjangud-Chamarajanagar but manageable.
From Chamarajanagar the road is excellent via Hassanur, Dimbam ghat, Sathyamangalam, Gobichettypalayam (bypass), Chithode (turn left, join NH47. This short ramp is muddy and not tarred and gets you down on to NH47). From here continue on NH47 to Bhavani and then Salem. Salem-Yercaud ghat road is fine too.

Last edited by NPV : 20th October 2015 at 10:22.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 11:25   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby29 View Post
1. Road conditions of the following 2 options-

OR

2. How much time to exit to TN based on one of the above routes suggested?

Cheers!
As per earlier posts roads around MM hills are not in good condition. Also you get much betters roads (2 lane and 4 lane highways) in the option a. So option a is what I would choose.
Landkruzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 08:34   #142
BHPian

Hello All,

Just back from the BR Hills. Stayed at K Gudi Wilderness Camp.

Here are a few updates to those interested:

K Gudi:
This camp is situated inside the reserves area. Infact, we were told it is the only JLR property to be located inside a reserve, and remaining all are outside.
We stayed in tented cottage. They are clean and much better than what you would expect from a 'tent'. Electricity is only supplied in the mornings from 8AM till 10AM (or 10:30) and in the evening from 6PM to 10PM. Thats when you get hot water in the rooms.
The stay includes buffet lunch, afternoon tea/coffee, evening safari, post safari tea/coffee + snacks, wildlife film, buffet dinner with bonfire. Next morning tea/coffee, morning safari, post safari buffet breakfast. The food is good and we mostly ended up over eating.
The safaris are in an open jeep, which takes 8 people max plus the driver cum guide. They last for 2 hours and are the longest I have been in. Though, the rains ensured we saw minimum animals. Best time to visit- dry summer months.

Route:
We took the NICE Road, exited at Kanakpura Road (SH209) and followed it. Crossed Halaguru, took a left just before Malavalli. Reached Kollegal. This town has no by-pass. This is the 1st place we encountered traffic. Continued till Yelandur, took a left and headed towards Sargur. Here, we took a left and were on the BR Hills road. This roads leads straight to K Gudi. Most of the roads are good and we were able to maintain 80-90 Kmph. One thing which I noticed was the tremendous amount of 2 wheelers on the roads. Throughout the journey, they made overtaking difficult. Its only when we entered the Forest Reserves area that these disappeared. Covered a distance of 214kms in 4 hours 30 mins with one stop for snacks. Please bear in mind that restaurants are hard to find on this route.

Hope this helps.
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 12:27   #143
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

Any new breakfast joints that have come up on this route?

Thanks in advance..
Old 20th March 2016, 04:55   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Any new breakfast joints that have come up on this route?
I don't think anything there apart from those at Kanakpura and Chamarajnagar if you are going via that route.

There is a CCD which you can see on Google maps near BR hills temple route, however it is just a small counter and not a shop as such.
Old 21st March 2016, 14:23   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I don't think anything there apart from those at Kanakpura and Chamarajnagar if you are going via that route.
In which case, does it make sense to go via Mysore Road (given the large no. of breakfast stops there) and divert to Malavalli after Maddur? Any idea on the latest road conditions b/w Maddur and Malavalli?
Old 21st March 2016, 15:14   #146
BHPian

Quote:
In which case, does it make sense to go via Mysore Road (given the large no. of breakfast stops there) and divert to Malavalli after Maddur? Any idea on the latest road conditions b/w Maddur and Malavalli?
Breakfast/Rest room options : Better to stick to Mysore road.
I went through the Mysore Road -> Maddur -> Malavalli stretch about 3 months ago, in Dec 2015. For description of road conditions : see this post.

If you are driving on this in a high ground clearance vehicle/SUV during the day, then this road is do-able. Taking this route in a low ground clearance vehicle (a low slung sedan, for ex) or driving on this road after it's dark, is not recommended. I drove this route, to and fro, in my Zest during the day time.
perty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 21:59   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
after Maddur? Any idea on the latest road conditions b/w Maddur and Malavalli?
Yes, if you are particular about food option it is best to go via Mysore road.
Instead of taking Maddur Malavalli I guess best option would be to take Mysore ring road - Bannur - Malavalli.
Though it's been a while I travelled on this route, there been posts Mysore road thread that the conditions are good.
Old 26th March 2016, 19:08   #148
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - BR Hills : Route Queries

Back from a quick drive to BR Hills - took the Mysore road till Maddur and moved on to NH209 at Malavalli, primarily due to better food options.

The Maddur-Malavalli stretch is a mix of good and bad roads, ranging from super-wide runways to single-lane sections, with widening/relaying work underway. In fact, was stuck in a jam for 10 minutes or so with 2 trucks trying to cross each other at a narrow stretch. However, given the pace of construction, I am sure the work will get completed in the next few months. But till then, as someone said, this stretch is best done during daylight.

Took the diversion to BR Hills soon after crossing Kollegal, which joins the Yelandur-BR Hills road just before the forest check post. Roads inside the WLS are excellent. Stayed at K Gudi Wilderness Camp and went on 2 safaris - had good sightings including sloth bear, barking deer, crested serpent eagle, brown fish owl, paradise flycatcher, etc. Made a quick visit to the BR Temple as well, one of my favorite places in that area. Diverted towards Barachukki falls on the way back but got to know that the gates close at 4:30 PM, so had to give it a miss! Overall, a nice quick jaunt to the wilderness.

Some pics below...

cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - BR Hills : Route Queries-kg1.jpg  

Bangalore - BR Hills : Route Queries-kg2.jpg  

Bangalore - BR Hills : Route Queries-kg3.jpg  

Bangalore - BR Hills : Route Queries-kg4.jpg  

Bangalore - BR Hills : Route Queries-kg5.jpg  

Bangalore - BR Hills : Route Queries-kg6.jpg  

Bangalore - BR Hills : Route Queries-kg7.jpg  

cool_dube is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 11:03   #149
BHPian

Any recent updates on the road conditions and weather ?
Old 9th May 2016, 14:19   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindr View Post
Any recent updates on the road conditions and weather ?
Got back yesterday from a weekend trip to BR Hills.

My wife and I rode to BR Hills on Saturday morning. We left at 7am and were there at 1135am. A single break at Malvalli was the only stop. We took the Kanakpura Road and I highly recommend it over Mysore Road. However; we did not follow the entire route gmaps recommended. I hear that road isn't the greatest. What we did was veer off a little after Kollegal at a place called Mudigundam and went towards Yeriyur, Yelandur. Hung a left at Yelandur town and headed towards BR Hills. The roads are excellent all the way.

Yelandur to BR Hills is super steep at some points and might require engaging lower gears.

What you must be prepared for is traffic between Kanakpura and Bangalore. It can get frustrating. One slow moving heavy vehicle causes a long pile up and it is very difficult to over take.

We stayed at Gorukana. While it is warm up there, its not like Bangalore. Should top off at 30 degrees or so. Fortunately, it rained in the evening and it did get a little chill.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks