Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2014, 21:07   #91
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - BR Hills : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyrules View Post
I had submitted a correction request to Google. After a long time, got a confirmation today that the route has been corrected. I verified and the route is indeed updated
Can you point to this section? It would be good to know.
Old 7th March 2014, 21:21   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Can you point to this section? It would be good to know.
I hope this is what you were looking for:

Earlier
Name:  Cbe3.PNG
Views: 1965
Size:  300.8 KB

Now
Name:  Cbe2.PNG
Views: 1919
Size:  71.2 KB
ozzyrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 10:06   #93
BHPian

Had been to BR hills over the weekend. The forest dept safari is closed until the rains set in (June, I guess). The only safari option currently at BR hills/K Gudi is through Jungle Lodges. They don't offer just the safari, you'll have to take their overnight package.
Old 18th March 2014, 12:37   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Had been to BR hills over the weekend. The forest dept safari is closed until the rains set in (June, I guess).
Oh that is bad news. Any reason mentioned by them for the same? My guess is it may have something to do with the forest fires in Bandipur and Wayanad forest sections.
Till June is a long time, was planning of visiting BR hills around May
Old 18th March 2014, 14:15   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Any reason mentioned by them for the same? My guess is it may have something to do with the forest fires in Bandipur and Wayanad forest sections.
I don't think it's to do with the forest fires. That's in a different area and moreover Jungle Lodges is still operating their safaris in BR hills, so there's no blanket ban on safaris. The forest guard said they usually close their safari every year around this time.
Old 18th March 2014, 21:02   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
...was planning of visiting BR hills around May
Quote:
The forest guard said they usually close their safari every year around this time.
Read in the newspaper that some safaris in Nagarhole, Tholpatty sanctuaries are also closed for a month or so. Think it is a usual seasonal closing Just for info.
Ddrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 15:00   #97
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

Planning to visit K. Gudi (JLR) shortly - intend to take the Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Yelandur route. Which route is recommended beyond Yelandur - A, B, or C?

Also, have not been to Kanakapura side for quite some time now. Is there a bypass now or one still has to drive through town?

Thanks in advance...
Old 2nd April 2014, 21:55   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Which route is recommended beyond Yelandur - A, B, or C?

Also, have not been to Kanakapura side for quite some time now. Is there a bypass now or one still has to drive through town?
Definitely avoid A, the road is non-existent. Either B or C is okay. You could maybe use one for the onward journey and one for the return, so that you cover the entire forest stretch.
There's no Kanakapura bypass, but the drive-thru town is not very time consuming.
Old 7th April 2014, 18:15   #99
Senior - BHPian

A quick update on my trip to K. Gudi this past weekend:

* Route taken: Bangalore-Kanakapura-Kollegal-Yelandur-BR Hills-K. Gudi
* Passing through Kanakapura is a breeze now with the wide/divided road running through town
* Road condition is good throughout - took me around 4 hours of sedate driving to cover the 215 km to K. Gudi
* Tried a different route on the way back to bypass Yelandur - as you exit the forest checkpost while coming back from BR Hills, take the first right hardly 50 m from the checkpost. Here is the route map. I loved the route due to zilch traffic and nice vistas - would be a feast for the eyes during/post monsoon, I am sure. Plus, you save about 10 km.
* Sightings included regular mammals - tuskers, Gaurs, etc. Some nice bird sightings including crested serpent eagles, "brainfever" birds, minivets, and a very beautiful paradise flycatcher.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 21:17   #100
BHPian

Hi,

We are planning to go to BR Hills on Saturday 3rd May and return to Bangalore on Sunday. Haven't booked the acco, will book either Akasa, Champakaranya or Rajathadri.

Can one go for night drives from the base at BR Hills after 6 pm? If that is not allowed, we can aswell stay at Nijaguna residency. My kid can have fun in the pool too.

From the posts I am thinking if we can try BR Hills - K Gudi early morning on Sunday and Saturday night. Would also like to try the drive to Chamarajnagar and back to K Gudi through Punanjur mentioned by Ozzy during the day time on Saturday.

Ozzy can you give the exact spot to turn left while coming from Chamarajnagar side?

Any suggestions on other must dos/see?

Cheers

Vindy
Old 1st May 2014, 23:32   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Can one go for night drives from the base at BR Hills after 6 pm?
Only until the forest check posts, which is not much distance. Won't be much of a jungle drive at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Ozzy can you give the exact spot to turn left while coming from Chamarajnagar side?
That turn-off at Punjur is non-existent. From Chamarajnagar, you'll have to enter K Gudi thru' the Chamarajnagar-BR hills road.
Old 2nd June 2014, 13:42   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Hi guys,

Planning to visit K. Gudi (JLR) shortly - intend to take the Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Yelandur route. Which route is recommended beyond Yelandur - A, B, or C?

Thanks in advance...
What is the difference between B and C? One is via ChamarajaNagar- Isn't that a little longer?

Last edited by anupkma : 2nd June 2014 at 13:50.
Old 3rd June 2014, 16:12   #103
BHPian

Nearest wine shop

Mod Note : Team-BHP maintains a strong stand against drinking and driving, and any mention of alcohol. Hence, posts containing ANY alcohol content (in text or pictures, directly or indirectly) will NOT be permitted.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by noopster : 3rd June 2014 at 20:40. Reason: Rule #11 violation
anupkma is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th July 2014, 23:56   #104

While driving to BR Hills through NH209, at a place called Sathyagala(about 130KM) from Bangalore, there is a narrow bridge built over Kaveri river which flows towards Shivanasamudra, has been installed with height barriers by the road authorities to avoid crossing over by heavy weight vehicles.

On enquiring a local petrol station guy, he informed us, these barriers are built mainly to avoid heavy vehicles due to the significant damage and vibrations observed in the bridge. On questioning him the alternative road for heavy vehicles, he told us, the buses and trucks are supposed to make detour from Kollegala through Talakadu and end up at the exit of the bridge.

The tempo guy tried hard to get through the barriers.
Bangalore - BR Hills : Route Queries-img_20140713_161931642_hdr.jpg

Two small walls have been build at the entry and exit of the bridge just before the height barriers.
Bangalore - BR Hills : Route Queries-img_20140713_162048852_hdr.jpg
Bangalore - BR Hills : Route Queries-img_20140713_162106484_hdr.jpg

And the narrow bridge.
Bangalore - BR Hills : Route Queries-img_20140713_161956929.jpg

This pic was taken just after the exit of the bridge(from Kollegala to Malavalli), where one can see the diversion of road.
Bangalore - BR Hills : Route Queries-img_20140713_162159583.jpg
Old 19th July 2014, 11:44   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I guess this was discussed earlier in Bangalore - Ooty route thread couple of months back.
Till I read your post I was thinking the diversion for heavy vehicles is just before the bridge towards the left while coming from Kollegal. I saw a mud road which is used heavily over there.

Most Viewed