Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2008, 10:53   #31
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Suman is spot on.

Like last time, it is finding its way to Delhi and is hitting Gurgaon today itself. If it manifests itself in blockades, then things will get really tough, even on the agra-mathura section.

Your only hope is to start really early like 1am from Gurgaon. You don't wanna be driving around Gwalior at night.
Old 28th May 2008, 11:05   #32
Senior - BHPian

Here is a report in rediff. It is Dholpur (not Pholpur, typo in my earlier messages) which lies on the Agra-Gwalior NH3 which is also in the centre of the storm.

Gujjar dacoits threaten to blow up Raje's palace

Notorious dacoit chieftain Jagan Gujjar and Ram Vilas Gujjar on Tuesday night threatened to blow up Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje's palace in Dholpur
Old 28th May 2008, 11:12   #33
LLL
BHPian

Pankaj, if you have to be in Blore on 2nd, then just take a flight for now. You can come back and take your car later. You dont want to find yourself in middle of a riot, especially if you will be carrying family & luggage.

But if you have to really drive, then why dont you consider leaving in evening and drive during night, crossing Rajasthan (NH8) and reach gujarat by morning? This is assuming that
1. agitators will go off to sleep at night
2. there isnt a huge rush and consequent jams of ppl trying to use this window to cross rajasthan
3. agitators dont leave the roads blocked off at night or the blockages are removed by administration.

Third solution that i can think of is to use smaller roads to cross rajasthan. I dont think they will be blocked. you can check with folks here or use googlemaps or mapmyindia to figure out the route.

Last edited by LLL : 28th May 2008 at 11:16.
Old 28th May 2008, 11:15   #34
Senior - BHPian

I dunno what made me decide to take the NH8 route to office and I reached in about 45 mins. Just now read this post that MG Road (my regular route) has been blocked by the Gujjars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Like last year, the agitation is getting progressively worse by the day. Today, they've blocked MG Road, tomorrow is a NCR roko (last year it was a resounding success & threw life COMPLETELY out of gear for the better part of the week).
Old 28th May 2008, 11:32   #35
Team-BHP Support

Avoid rajasthan, whether night or day.
For other routes, leave Delhi 2am or something. If they have a NCR agitation planned, you will miss the rush.
Old 28th May 2008, 13:15   #36
Senior - BHPian

Pankaj, best advice is by LLL, DO NOT even think of taking the car now. Leave it, take a flight & reach safely.

Explain to your boss what the problem was & come back after a few weeks to pick the car up with a couple of days leave.

The risk is not worth it.
Old 28th May 2008, 14:09   #37
BHPian

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Ishan, I am taking LLL & everybody's advice. Will be leaving by flight on 31st afternoon. I also talked to my boss regarding this & she is ready to pack the packers n movers charges for my car. is it a good idea to send the car by packers n movers?
Old 28th May 2008, 16:55   #38
Senior - BHPian

Right decision Pankaj and a very considerate & understanding Boss too. But you lost an opportunity of a picturesque drive..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Ishan, I am taking LLL & everybody's advice. Will be leaving by flight on 31st afternoon. I also talked to my boss regarding this & she is ready to pack the packers n movers charges for my car. is it a good idea to send the car by packers n movers?
Old 28th May 2008, 23:43   #39
Senior - BHPian

Yeah,

Please fly. I was not aware of Dholpur problems. A friend was planning on riding to ranthambore via dholpur because of this NH8 issue. That rules out NH2 too.

But should you still wish to take a chance, driving out at midnight is the only option that would cross agra by day break and a few more km later you're unhindered.

btw, last time, agitations led to proper siege of villages, with food blockaded and opposing parties' food ration trucks burnt etc. Madness twas.
Old 29th May 2008, 07:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

FLY!

Latest news talks of sealing entire Delhi border and a precautionary lockdown.

I HATE this Gujjar agitation. I hate all these agitations. More so, I hate opportunistic parties like Lok Jana Shakti which instead promote more rallies and disruption than actually encouraging a democratic solution. The very purveyors of democracy resort to strength and throwing public life out of gear than follow ANY democractic process.
Old 29th May 2008, 10:42   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Right decision Pankaj and a very considerate & understanding Boss too. But you lost an opportunity of a picturesque drive..
ya GD bhai, i really wanted to do this drive but what to do. Might be i will drive back when i shift back to NCR.

Thanks for all the help friends and i will really miss you all.
Old 29th May 2008, 12:56   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
ya GD bhai, i really wanted to do this drive but what to do. Might be i will drive back when i shift back to NCR.

Thanks for all the help friends and i will really miss you all.
Good decision, ps.
As regards transporting your car by Packers, my BIL had a bad experience when Agarwal Packers badly damaged his car while unloading it at Hyd.He had paid 7 K for transportation, and had ignored my suggestion to drive down from Chennai.
He had to run in circles to get them to own up, and paid 35 K for repairs. He has still not got the money from them, and is hoping to get it soon. In the process, his car was in the garage for nearly a month. He was lucky to get my WagonR for 2 months, failing which he would have had to spend another 6 K on local auto rickshaws.
Old 29th May 2008, 15:09   #43
Senior - BHPian

@pankajsachdeva
Driving by road would have been fun Tiring but fun

I love to do road trips. But about 500-1000KMS is my limit

Did a search on mapmyindia.com and got a very detailed result. Its about 12 pages long, so I am not posting here,

MapmyIndia - maps, directions, and local search across India - just search, print and go!

But heres a screenshot. this should give an idea
Attached Thumbnails
Gurgaon to Bangalore-temp.jpg  

Last edited by harjeev : 29th May 2008 at 15:17.
Old 30th May 2008, 08:58   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Good decision, ps.
As regards transporting your car by Packers, my BIL had a bad experience when Agarwal Packers badly damaged his car while unloading it at Hyd.He had paid 7 K for transportation, and had ignored my suggestion to drive down from Chennai.
He had to run in circles to get them to own up, and paid 35 K for repairs. He has still not got the money from them, and is hoping to get it soon. In the process, his car was in the garage for nearly a month. He was lucky to get my WagonR for 2 months, failing which he would have had to spend another 6 K on local auto rickshaws.
Thanks vnabhi for the information. I have to transport the car and i am just praying that i do not meet the same fate. Between don't these packers and movers give any insurance on car as they do on household goods?
Old 30th May 2008, 09:02   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
@pankajsachdeva
Driving by road would have been fun Tiring but fun

I love to do road trips. But about 500-1000KMS is my limit

Did a search on mapmyindia.com and got a very detailed result. Its about 12 pages long, so I am not posting here,

MapmyIndia - maps, directions, and local search across India - just search, print and go!

But heres a screenshot. this should give an idea
Thanks harjeev. Though i really wanted to do this drive and was mentally prepared for it, but now i have to send my car through pakers n movers.
just praying that the car should reach Bangalore safely.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks