Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2010, 15:20   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
Never travel through NH 17 after kannur . Just tried to do a kollur trip and dropped that idea after seeing the terrible road conditions from kannur onwards . And about some statements like ' 12 hours to kollur etc are really misleading . I did a trip on september 2008 . Roads in kerala apart from kasargod was ok then .

But it took us 8.5 hours to reach kollur from manglore . I felt as if we are traveling through hell and nothing less . While returning from kollur we took vandse , karkala , mudabidri , kaikamba route to reach manglore .

This time I was planning to do that route , but by this time even kerala road conditions deteriorated .

And even after going though this statement , if you are determined then there is a solution . Bypass kannur and kasargod after leaving calicut . Go through iritty , virajpet , sullya , puttur , vittal , moodabidri , karkala , vandse and kollur . This route is longer when compared to nh17 but better . One thing to take note is that I havent travelled though iritty or sullya . In mudabidri session you will be able enjoy a lot as it is quite scenic .

got some reports that the iritty - virajpet has been repaired. cant confirm the same. The above route seems to be a good option.

Hotel beena residency is recommended to all. Contact info is available online.
Old 19th March 2011, 15:35   #47
BHPian

Re: A train query

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Very scanty info is available on Byndoor.

The question is not just about distance from rly stn to Kollur. It is also about conveniences at the respective stations - will be get a taxi to Kollur, a rick to the town or at least, a bus to Kollur? The consensus is to take a bus, if everybody is in a good mood. Else, we will take a taxi right from the station.

If we decide to take a taxi, the road conditions too would be important. What would be the taxi rates per KM?
Went to Kollur a few days ago; so, updating this thread on the hope it might come in handy for someone.

I travelled Kollam-Byndoor/Mookambika Road by Gandhidham Express. If it keeps right time, 1615 hours from Kollam and 0720 hours at Byndoor (2-1/2 hours late at Byndoor in my case). The station is 2 km from the nearest bus stop (NH-17). Auto charges Rs.30 till the bus stop. Taxis are available (mostly Omni) from station at Rs.400 till Kollur. Buses are there every 30 minutes or so. Byndoor-Kollur takes 45 minutes. Road is a single-lane road but with an intact surface; ride is comfortable.
Old 20th March 2011, 16:52   #48
Team-BHP Support

Re: A train query

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Went to Kollur a few days ago; so, updating this thread on the hope it might come in handy for someone.

I travelled Kollam-Byndoor/Mookambika Road by Gandhidham Express. If it keeps right time, 1615 hours from Kollam and 0720 hours at Byndoor (2-1/2 hours late at Byndoor in my case). The station is 2 km from the nearest bus stop (NH-17). Auto charges Rs.30 till the bus stop. Taxis are available (mostly Omni) from station at Rs.400 till Kollur. Buses are there every 30 minutes or so. Byndoor-Kollur takes 45 minutes. Road is a single-lane road but with an intact surface; ride is comfortable.
I guess considering the state of NH17 near Byndoor, train is the best option!
Much much better and also sheer enjoyment of Konkan railway!
Old 4th April 2011, 17:57   #49
BHPian

re: Trivandrum - Kollur : Route Queries

Hi, Any idea about the road condition from Kannur - Managalore and Mangalore -Udupi- Kollur ?
Old 4th April 2011, 19:19   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunnn View Post
Hi, Any idea about the road condition from Kannur - Managalore and Mangalore -Udupi- Kollur ?
Both the stretches are pretty bad.Kasargod-Mangalore is still better as compared to Kannur-Kasargod.Also very dense traffic making it very difficult to overtake.

Mangalore to Kollur is again high density traffic,especially till Kundapur. Road widening is in progress in this section,making it very difficult to keep good speeds.Once you turn into the Kollur road from Kundapur,its better.Target for a 5.5 hour drive between Kannur and Mangalore and a further 2-2.5 hours to Kollur.
Old 4th April 2011, 20:41   #51
BANNED

I had travelled Kollur - Udupi - Mulki by road in 1st week of February, and the roads here are good; but widening work is happening.

"No pot holes" would be a better term.

Feedback is that Mangalore to Udupi is still better - but that is mere hearsay.
Old 5th April 2011, 12:16   #52
BHPian

Thanks 'ranjitp1' and 'BaCkSeAtDrIVeR' for the update.

I will post the details after the trip.
Old 5th April 2011, 13:34   #53
BHPian

I did Kannur - Udupi on March 22nd and 23rd. The road per se is good, but there is so much traffic. It is literally moving from one truck to another truck. Difficult to overtake with oncoming traffic. Worse if you are behind those "bullet" tankers. Frustrating to drive. It took me 5 hours to reach Kannur.
Mangalore to Kollur road is fine but as four laning work is going on at a brisk pace, there may be diversions, lot of dust, and deep shoulders. You will have drive carefully.
Old 24th April 2011, 06:43   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I did Kochi Kollur a year back. Roads upto mangalore was in shape that time. Beyond Mangalore widening and overbridge works were on.

Best route is NH17, via Ponnani from Chavakkad.

For making darshan anytime is OK. The system at the temple is to do the Pooja through Pujaris who would assist for a dakshina. But would be very helpful. I got to know one through a friend and was very helpful. If need his contact number PM me.
@Rajeev. Could you please send me the contact number of the Pujari that you know. I am planning a trip next week and this would be helpful. since I am a newbie and don't have PM facility, could you please email me the details at godeepdive@yahoo.com
Old 24th April 2011, 07:34   #55
Senior - BHPian

Have a nice trip and darshan and post details. How are you planning to go? The mail id is bouncing. Shri Vishnu Uthuppa and can be contacted in 0825 4258225.
Weekends would be crowded due to school vacations and usually mid weeks are better.
You can go to Kudajadri by shared jeeps and would be an experience in off-roading.
Old 24th April 2011, 22:23   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Have a nice trip and darshan and post details. How are you planning to go? The mail id is bouncing. Weekends would be crowded due to school vacations and usually mid weeks are better.
You can go to Kudajadri by shared jeeps and would be an experience in off-roading.
Thanks Rajeev for the information. I am planning to drive down from Pune via Goa, Kollur, Mangalore to Ernakulam. Kudajadri won't be an option this time as I am travelling with a small baby. Hope to do it sometime in future.
Old 3rd September 2011, 11:32   #57
Team-BHP Support

Any one has recent updates regarding the road conditions?

I'm planning to drive from trivandrum to mookambika back to trivandrum, via kodungallur, guruvayoor, and any other good temples on the way. Are the roads good enough to do this trip in a wagonR?

Or is it a bad idea in a wagonR?

While going, stay would be at guruvayoor, and while return, it is likely to be at alleppey.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd September 2011 at 11:43.
Old 3rd September 2011, 14:09   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
While going, stay would be at guruvayoor, and while return, it is likely to be at alleppey.
Because of this, fine going on on your car. Else, I would have recommended train. An early morning start (just afer Nirmalyam @ 3.00 AM) will see you reach Kannur for breakfast by 8 AM. And Kollur by sunset. (yes, roads are so bad) this side of Manjeshwar.

And to make it worthwhile, consider Udupi, Sringeri & Dharmasthala.

Pretty bad roads north of Kozhikode. Drive only during daytime. Check couple of recently started threads on Gujarat / Pune-Goa > KL travel.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 3rd September 2011 at 14:14.
Old 6th September 2011, 07:48   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Because of this, fine going on on your car. Else, I would have recommended train. An early morning start (just afer Nirmalyam @ 3.00 AM) will see you reach Kannur for breakfast by 8 AM. And Kollur by sunset. (yes, roads are so bad) this side of Manjeshwar.

And to make it worthwhile, consider Udupi, Sringeri & Dharmasthala.

Pretty bad roads north of Kozhikode. Drive only during daytime. Check couple of recently started threads on Gujarat / Pune-Goa > KL travel.
Thanks!

jkdas has also travelled to Mahe this week, and as per his facebook update, roads are almost non-existent! If he is struggling in the Safari, cant imagine what my WagonR will need to endure. Dropping the plan!

Will be driving to Guruvayoor most probably and turn back from there.
Old 6th September 2011, 08:36   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thanks!

jkdas has also travelled to Mahe this week, and as per his facebook update, roads are almost non-existent! If he is struggling in the Safari, cant imagine what my WagonR will need to endure. Dropping the plan!

Will be driving to Guruvayoor most probably and turn back from there.

If you still want to do Kollur, best option I think is train to Udupi and a bus from there.
Udupi-Kollur is 90Km and with very decent roads.

But yes, if Guruvayur is in the plan, then it would be difficult on the way back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks