Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2012, 14:50   #76
BHPian

Friends, My family plans a Thrissur- Kollur trip. Google map shows Thrissur- Kundapura- Tallur- Devalkunda- Vandse- Kollur. How good is this route particularly Kundapura - Kollur stretch. Any other better options?
Old 13th October 2012, 19:44   #77
BANNED

re: Trivandrum - Kollur : Route Queries

I am unable to comment on the road conditions - but it is pretty straignt forward route - NH 17 throughout; up to to Kundapura. After a bridge at Kundapura, you turn right to Kollur. It is well marked, IIRC. Unless the NH widening in KA has removed the markers. Still, you ought not to miss the Kundapura town and the bridge. If in doubt, consult MaPS. Man Passing by on the Street once you pass Kundapura town. :-D
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2012, 21:52   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
I always heard horror stories about the NH 17 stretches like Kannur-Kasargod, Kasargod-Mangalore and Mangalore-Kundapura. Anyone have latest road condition updates on these stretches ??
I do not know about the exact road condition now but last February I did Kollur and was not bad at all barring the diversions due to four-laning work in Mangalore Kundapura sector.
Drive safely and there need not be any worry on horror stories. Kundapura to Kollur would be deserted at night and is less inhabited area and so try to avoid that stretch at night.

Last edited by rajeev k : 13th October 2012 at 21:53.
Old 14th October 2012, 09:22   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Friends, My family plans a Thrissur- Kollur trip. Google map shows Thrissur- Kundapura- Tallur- Devalkunda- Vandse- Kollur. How good is this route particularly Kundapura - Kollur stretch. Any other better options?
Done the Ernakulam-Kollur-Vadakara yesterday. I was expecting the very bad, but road condition was better. The details are given below:
Ernakulam to Trichur - Excellent four line road.
Thrissur to Kunnamkulam - Bumpy road, but no pothholes anyway (you can take the Kunnamkulam bypass from Kecheri if traveling daytime)
Kunnamkulam to Kozhikode -Good, narrow, curvy NH17. Traffic will be a headache.
Kozhikode to talassery - Roads are good but the traffic will be heavy.
Talassery to Kasargod - Roads are good upto Kanhangad. There is a bad section on one overbridge approach road. The ghat section of 5 kms before Cherkala is completely broken,
Kasargod to Mangalore - Roads are good in Kerala, expect a few occasional bad sections. The road condition is bad after entering Karnataka. There are diversions because of the 4-line work. But we can do 40km/hr easily. Heavy traffic during daytime.
Mangalore to Uduppi - Excellent roads with diversion which are clearly marked. The road conditions at the diversions are also not at all bad, so you dont want to reduce your speed.
Uduppi to Kudapura - Good with diversions.
Kundapura to Kollur - The roads till the junction Hemmadi (here we turn towards right to Kollur) is completely broken. Be careful if you are in Sedan. After this the road conditions improves.
Hope it helps. Have a nice trip
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I am unable to comment on the road conditions - but it is pretty straignt forward route - NH 17 throughout; up to to Kundapura. After a bridge at Kundapura, you turn right to Kollur. It is well marked, IIRC. Unless the NH widening in KA has removed the markers. Still, you ought not to miss the Kundapura town and the bridge. If in doubt, consult MaPS. Man Passing by on the Street once you pass Kundapura town. :-D
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I do not know about the exact road condition now but last February I did Kollur and was not bad at all barring the diversions due to four-laning work in Mangalore Kundapura sector.
Drive safely and there need not be any worry on horror stories. Kundapura to Kollur would be deserted at night and is less inhabited area and so try to avoid that stretch at night.
Thanks for the information. The roads are not that bad as I expected. NH 17 is not a National Terror now
denver85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 12:46   #80
BHPian

I am planning a trip with my wife and 2 young children in May. Please suggest a few good hotels near Mookambika temple.
Old 18th March 2014, 13:00   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks2010 View Post
I am planning a trip with my wife and 2 young children in May. Please suggest a few good hotels near Mookambika temple.
Check the last few messages in the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...oute-take.html
Old 18th May 2015, 21:56   #82
Senior - BHPian

Fellow TBHPians, I am planning a trip from Kollam to Mookambika temple by next week in my XUV. I read most of this thread and the other one referring the same subject.

I am familiar to the road conditions up to Guruvayur. I can see two routes in Google maps viz. Calicut-Vythiri-Thirunelli and the other one is the "traditional" Kannur-Kasargod route. I've been to all these places but, unfortunately not recently.

The question is out of these two which route you'd suggest for me in the prevailing road conditions? My priorities are a lot less traffic and better road conditions. There won't be any night driving. Alternative suggestions are most welcome. TIA !
Old 21st May 2015, 14:08   #83

Help on Kochi - Kollur - Mangalore - Bangalore route

Hi

We are planning for a family trip from Kochi to Kollur.

High level plan is as below.

Day 1 - Kochi - Kasargod (overnight stay)

Day 2 - Kasargod - Mangalore - Udupi (temple) - Kollur (overnight stay)

Day 3 - Kollur - Murudeshwara - Mangalore (overnight stay)

Day 4 - Mangalore - Bangalore

Need expert advise on the above and route to be followed as this is the 1st time I am driving in this route.

Which is the best route from Kochi to Kasargod assuming we are starting by 5am?

Any good place to see on day 3 near Murudeshwara or Mangalore?

Which is the best route based on current conditions to Bangalore from Mangalore?
Old 21st May 2015, 14:42   #84
Team-BHP Support

Re: Help on Kochi - Kollur - Mangalore - Bangalore route

Kochi-Kasargod: Ernakulam-Angamaly-Trichur-Kunnamkulam bypass (Pannithadam)- Edappal - Kottakal - Calicut - Mahe - Kasargod.

Extremely fatigue inducing drive. Please inputs on this section from regulars. You may have to break at Calicut for day one. Kasargod is also possible by day one. But just check with correct bypasses etc.

Last edited by ampere : 21st May 2015 at 14:58.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 13:01   #85

Thanks ampere.

For the mangalore - Bangalore route, found the following as best route from other thread. Does it still hold good?

https://goo.gl/maps/6aibv
Old 22nd May 2015, 13:06   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjish View Post
For the mangalore - Bangalore route, found the following as best route from other thread. Does it still hold good?
Yes thats the active route these days after the Shiradi ghat closure. See Bangalore-Mangalore thread. Its a very active thread. You pretty much get daily updates on that section!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 20:50   #87

Kochi to Kollur Mookambika

Dear All,
I am planning to take a road trip from Kochi to Kollur Mookambika over the weekend.. I am planning to start from Edappilly on Friday night so that I can avoid traffic on Kerala roads. Would be starting back from Kollur on Sunday afternoon. I have a few queries..
  1. Best route to take to reach Kollur with minimal time time loss?
  2. Is it safe to drive through the roads after entering Karnataka border (please don't get offended people, it is a family trip and hence the question)?
  3. Are there any deserted stretch after crossing Kerala border?
  4. Any good places to stay and eat near Kollur temple? Pointers would definitely help.
Thanks for your help in advance!

Cheers!

Note from Support: Please avoid cross-posting between threads. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 16th May 2016 at 21:09. Reason: See note. Please no SMS. THanks!
Old 16th May 2016, 21:04   #88
BHPian

Trivandrum - Kollur (Mookambika) query

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achumon007 View Post
Any good places to stay and eat near Kollur temple? Pointers would definitely help!
Cheers!
There is a decent restaurant just diagonally opposite the temple.
Old 16th May 2016, 22:30   #89
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kochi to Kollur Mookambika

Quote:
Any good places to stay and eat near Kollur temple?
Abimon Residency has been recommended by other members on the Bangalore-Kollur thread, check that out for stay. Also there's a Adigas restaurant near the temple attached to the Mookambika Palace hotel that has lodging, check that as well.
Old 17th May 2016, 14:29   #90
BHPian

Re: Kochi to Kollur Mookambika

Quote:
Dear All,
I am planning to take a road trip from Kochi to Kollur Mookambika over the weekend.. I am planning to start from Edappilly on Friday night so that I can avoid traffic on Kerala roads. Would be starting back from Kollur on Sunday afternoon. I have a few queries..
  1. Best route to take to reach Kollur with minimal time time loss?
  2. Is it safe to drive through the roads after entering Karnataka border (please don't get offended people, it is a family trip and hence the question)?
  3. Are there any deserted stretch after crossing Kerala border?
  4. Any good places to stay and eat near Kollur temple? Pointers would definitely help.
Thanks for your help in advance!

Cheers!
There is not much route options, its pretty direct. To reach Ramanattukara, you can take either Thrissur route or Ponnani (shorter). You can bypass Kozhikode and beyond Kozhikode there will be lot of lorry traffic in the night (specially tanker lorries).
There is no safety issues in driving KA in this region and no deserted stretch in the border too. Stick to NH after Nileswar and don't enter Kanhangad town. I heard that the state highway towards Kasargod is not in good shape.
Also don't enter in to Uduppi town unless u want to visit the temple.

For stay, Beena Residency is very near to temple, or else try in Mookambika Palace or Abhimon. In Abhimon, you will get big rooms with 4 / 5 beds.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks