Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2016, 16:22   #151
BHPian

Re: Himachal Pradesh by Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Kdp 95, congratulations in advance for your upcoming graduation.

My suggestion is to wait till June end if you’re keen to go to Chitkul/Spiti/Tabo/Kaza.

You can do the Kullu/Manali/Kasol/Malana/Tosh in February. Manali does get quite a bit of snow but most the roads are cleared quickly. You may not be able to get to Rohtang pass as that road normally gets very heavy snowfall throughout the winter.

If you’re keen on undertaking this trip to Himachal in February you can visit Kasuali/Shimla/Narkanda & then on to Dharamshala/Dalhousie going Via Bilaspur/Hamirpur/Kangra route that is quite scenic & is winding mountain road.

Driving time to Dharamshala from Shimla is around 10 hours and it will take another 6 hours to drive to Dalhousie.

Please carry a good quality tyre puncture repair kit & a good air compressor as a many of these roads have broken surfaces that will test the strength of the sidewalls of your tires.

Drive safe & enjoy.
I also second the thought of waiting for June and you can do a long trip Trans Himachal entering from Chandigarh side to Bilaspur to Manali to Rohtang to Keylong(Lahul Valley) to Spiti Valley (Kaza) to Kinnaur to Shimla to Chandigarh and Back. This tour will test you and your car.

However if you only have February on you mind you can plan like this.

Enter HP from Pathankot side then go to Dalhsousie- Khajjiar-Chamba - Dharamshala -Mcleodganj-Palampur-bir billing-Barot-Mandi-Kullu-Kasol-Manikaran valley-Manali-Aut-Banjar-Shojha-Rampur-Sarahan-Sangla-Chitkul-Kalpa-(May try to go beyond on Kaza road till the point it is open)-Back to-Rampur-Narkanda-Chail-Kasauli-Chandigarh.

Places recommended for night halt
1.Dhalosie
2.Mcleodgunj
3.Barot
4.Kasol
5.Manali
6.Sarahan
7.Sangla
8.Kalpa
9.Chail
10.Kasauli

You may find many locations off beat and not very famous on the regular tourist circuit but places will be good for adventure journey. Since you will be covering most roads only once it will be less monotonous to travel.
mountaineer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 18:15   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Kdp 95, congratulations in advance for your upcoming graduation.

Undertaking a road trip such as this is quite an endeavour that will be demanding both on your body & vehicle however if properly planned it can have therapeutic effect on your soul.

First off, February is not the month to visit a few of the places that are on your list such as Spiti, Chitkul, Tabo, Kaza etc. Most of the mountain passes get snowed out in late December and open only by June. If you’re trying to get to Chitkul, you will not be able to get beyond Karcham as roads beyond will be undriveable on account of heavy snowfall etc. till May.

For getting to Tabo and Kaza you will not be able to get there from Manali side in February as Kunzum pass does not open till May end. Even if you want to get there via Shimla/Rampur/Pooh route most of the roads beyond Rampur will be snowed out till almost end of April.

My suggestion is to wait till June end if you’re keen to go to Chitkul/Spiti/Tabo/Kaza.

You can do the Kullu/Manali/Kasol/Malana/Tosh in February. Manali does get quite a bit of snow but most the roads are cleared quickly. You may not be able to get to Rohtang pass as that road normally gets very heavy snowfall throughout the winter.

If you’re keen on undertaking this trip to Himachal in February you can visit Kasuali/Shimla/Narkanda & then on to Dharamshala/Dalhousie going Via Bilaspur/Hamirpur/Kangra route that is quite scenic & is winding mountain road.

Driving time to Dharamshala from Shimla is around 10 hours and it will take another 6 hours to drive to Dalhousie.

Please carry a good quality tyre puncture repair kit & a good air compressor as a many of these roads have broken surfaces that will test the strength of the sidewalls of your tires.

Drive safe & enjoy.
Well thanks, I would be a lawyer by May 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaineer View Post
I also second the thought of waiting for June and you can do a long trip Trans Himachal entering from Chandigarh side to Bilaspur to Manali to Rohtang to Keylong(Lahul Valley) to Spiti Valley (Kaza) to Kinnaur to Shimla to Chandigarh and Back. This tour will test you and your car.

However if you only have February on you mind you can plan like this.

Enter HP from Pathankot side then go to Dalhsousie- Khajjiar-Chamba - Dharamshala -Mcleodganj-Palampur-bir billing-Barot-Mandi-Kullu-Kasol-Manikaran valley-Manali-Aut-Banjar-Shojha-Rampur-Sarahan-Sangla-Chitkul-Kalpa-(May try to go beyond on Kaza road till the point it is open)-Back to-Rampur-Narkanda-Chail-Kasauli-Chandigarh.

Places recommended for night halt
1.Dhalosie
2.Mcleodgunj
3.Barot
4.Kasol
5.Manali
6.Sarahan
7.Sangla
8.Kalpa
9.Chail
10.Kasauli

You may find many locations off beat and not very famous on the regular tourist circuit but places will be good for adventure journey. Since you will be covering most roads only once it will be less monotonous to travel.
I will leave Spiti Valley, Rohtang Pass etc for the Leh-Ladakh Trip in the coming years. Based on your suggestions, my itinerary is as follows:

Day 1- Navi Mumbai-Ajmer
Day 2- Ajmer-Amritsar
Day 3- Amritsar-Dalhousie
Day 4- Dalhousie Sightseeing
Day 5- Dalhousie -Mcleodganj
Day 6- Dharamshala Sightseeing
Day 7- Dharamshala-Barot
Day 8- Barot-Kasol
Day 9- Kasol-Manikaran
Day 10-Kasol Sightseeing (Tosh/Malana)
Day 11-Kasol-Manali
Day 12-Manali Sightseeing
Day 13- Manali
Day 14- Manali-Narkand
Day 15- Narkand-Chail
Day 16- Chail-Kasauli
Day 17- Kasauli Sightseeing
Day 18- Kasauli-Udaipur
Day 19- Udaipur-Navi Mumbai
Day 20- Additional Day.

Now the question that emerges is that which route should I opt for, the Kangra/Hamirpur/Bilaspur or Mcleodganj-Palampur-bir billing-Barot route. As suggested both are scenic and good routes. Any other suggestions/advice are welcome.
kdp95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 11:29   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp95 View Post
Well thanks, I would be a lawyer by May 2017.

Now the question that emerges is that which route should I opt for, the Kangra/Hamirpur/Bilaspur or Mcleodganj-Palampur-bir billing-Barot route. As suggested both are scenic and good routes. Any other suggestions/advice are welcome.

Kangra/Hamirpur/Bilaspur is just a route with not much in between.

Palampur is a very beautiful place and Bir Billing is must see as it is the place from where Para gliding takes place.

I suggest you go to Barot as it is also a very beautiful destination though a small village. You will definitely like it if you are a Trout fan as you will probably get the best trout.

I have some query on your plan.

1. Why are you skipping Sangla Valley. You are already going to Narkanda so will be a very good option to spend one night in Sangla. It will be worth for sure. You can also plan to do a trek (only if you are enthusiastic) to nearby glacier from Sangla.

2. Your Day 17 plan - Kasauli to Udaipur : I feel is going to be a long day.
Old 26th October 2016, 21:08   #154
BHPian

Quote:

Palampur is a very beautiful place and Bir Billing is must see as it is the place from where Para gliding takes place.

I suggest you go to Barot as it is also a very beautiful destination though a small village. You will definitely like it if you are a Trout fan as you will probably get the best trout.

I have some query on your plan.

1. Why are you skipping Sangla Valley. You are already going to Narkanda so will be a very good option to spend one night in Sangla. It will be worth for sure. You can also plan to do a trek (only if you are enthusiastic) to nearby glacier from Sangla.

2. Your Day 17 plan - Kasauli to Udaipur : I feel is going to be a long day.
Okay i will take the Palampur route. I am staying at Barot. As regards Sangla Valley, i thought that i would not be able to go to Chitkul, Nako etc, hence to keep it for the Leh Ladakh Trip. How far is it from Narkanda?

I will try to leave as early as possible in morning for Udaipur, then lets see what happens.

I have a query. One of my cousins has told me that there is some ban in HP regarding non-HP private vehicles. They are allowed to enter but only to park at the hotels. For sightseeing we have to use the local taxis? Is this true?
Old 27th October 2016, 12:17   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp95 View Post
Okay i will take the Palampur route. I am staying at Barot. As regards Sangla Valley, i thought that i would not be able to go to Chitkul, Nako etc, hence to keep it for the Leh Ladakh Trip. How far is it from Narkanda?

I will try to leave as early as possible in morning for Udaipur, then lets see what happens.

I have a query. One of my cousins has told me that there is some ban in HP regarding non-HP private vehicles. They are allowed to enter but only to park at the hotels. For sightseeing we have to use the local taxis? Is this true?
Sangla is some 7 hours from Narkanda. See if possible to cover will be good.
Kinnaur distt. is very different from rest HP and you can appreciate a lot of diversity in Culture and Geology.

I don't see any ban for outside vehicles in HP. I have been spotting a lot lot of HR/PB/CH/DL/UK/WB/JK/UP/MH/RJ/GJ regularly so don't worry.

Remember HP is a Dev Bhoomi and tourist are welcome. Also like to add the Police is very courteous and will always support you in every situation, wherever you are and whenever you are.It is a very safe place to be so drive safe and enjoy the view.
Old 15th November 2016, 02:54   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Sangla is some 7 hours from Narkanda. See if possible to cover will be good.
Kinnaur distt. is very different from rest HP and you can appreciate a lot of diversity in Culture and Geology.
Can you please advise if November end is a good time to visit kinnaur valley? I plan to leave on the 24th of this month from Delhi for Chitkul.
Old 15th November 2016, 10:23   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Can you please advise if November end is a good time to visit kinnaur valley? I plan to leave on the 24th of this month from Delhi for Chitkul.
November end is OK to visit Kinnaur. The weather will be cold with sunshine but no snow. It may not be the best time to visit if you are keen on snow.

What is you overall plan ? Are you also planning spiti valley ?
Old 15th November 2016, 20:55   #158
BHPian

Quote:
November end is OK to visit Kinnaur. The weather will be cold with sunshine but no snow. It may not be the best time to visit if you are keen on snow.

What is you overall plan ? Are you also planning spiti valley ?
Thanks! Not keen on snow, I have 4 days off from work and want to visit chitkul. Have been postponing the trip from few years.

The plan is as follows:

Day 1: New Delhi - Sarahan.
Day 2: Sarahan - Chitkul.
Day 3: Chitkul - Sarahan(or some place else, any recommendation?).
Day 4: Sarahan - New Delhi.
Old 17th November 2016, 09:41   #159
BHPian

Hi,

Can someone help with an on ground update on how long the road till Reckong Peo is expected to remain open? When is it expected to start snowing this season? Will the roads remain open until middle of December?

thanks
Old 18th November 2016, 08:41   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Thanks! Not keen on snow, I have 4 days off from work and want to visit chitkul. Have been postponing the trip from few years.

The plan is as follows:

Day 1: New Delhi - Sarahan.
Day 2: Sarahan - Chitkul.
Day 3: Chitkul - Sarahan(or some place else, any recommendation?).
Day 4: Sarahan - New Delhi.
I suggest you have two nights in Sangla (Chitkul). May plan to spend one night in the wilderness. You can plan a night stay to nearby mountian range in the tents.Local arrangement of tents is possible but need to check if they will be available in Nov End.It will be adventure and i am sure worth trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Hi,

Can someone help with an on ground update on how long the road till Reckong Peo is expected to remain open? When is it expected to start snowing this season? Will the roads remain open until middle of December?

thanks
Good question but difficult to answer. Presently weather is good and does not seem to snow in this month. But then you never know. In recent years there has been a spell of snow even in the month of November so will be very difficult to forecast.

You may check the below link to see the weather forecast for next one week and may plan accordingly.

http://www.weathershimla.gov.in/
Old 26th November 2016, 10:02   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm planning to drive from Delhi to a few places in Himachal during the 3rd week of December'16

Just to give you a background. I have been to Himachal plenty of times in the past but, I love this place and keep going back and dont mind visiting the same typical touristy place but, my endeavor always was to identify some small scenic place that is a must visit

Have already been to the following places in Himachal

1. Shimla
2. Manali
3. Rohtang Pass
4. Manikaran
5. Narkanda
6. Tirthan Valley

Can someone please recommend any places that I should visit this time around? Planning to hire a Zoomcar in Delhi and will be having 7-9 days total days at hand

Appreciate your inputs
Old 26th November 2016, 11:45   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I'm planning to drive from Delhi to a few places in Himachal during the 3rd week of December'16

Have already been to the following places in Himachal

1. Shimla
2. Manali
3. Rohtang Pass
4. Manikaran
5. Narkanda
6. Tirthan Valley

Can someone please recommend any places that I should visit this time around? Planning to hire a Zoomcar in Delhi and will be having 7-9 days total days at hand

Appreciate your inputs
The Kangra-Dharamsala-Palampur belt is very beautiful. It should be on your list. You can stay at Kangra which is quiet and a lot less crowded. From there, day trips can be made to Palampur, Dharamsala, McLeodganj, Dharamkot and Triund.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 08:50   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The Kangra-Dharamsala-Palampur belt is very beautiful. It should be on your list. You can stay at Kangra which is quiet and a lot less crowded. From there, day trips can be made to Palampur, Dharamsala, McLeodganj, Dharamkot and Triund.
Thanks Shreyans, that's a wonderful suggestion.

Based on what you recommended, I have created a draft plan as below.

Let me know if this is doable? If not, please feel free to tweak it. I dont mind adding a day to below itenary

Day 1 : Karol Bagh, New Delhi to Kangra

Day 2 : Kangra Local Sightseeing

Day 3: Kangra to Mcleodgung, Dharamsala and Triund

Day 4 : Kangra to Palampur

Day 5 : Kangra to Manali

Day 6 : Manali

Day 7: Manali to Tirthan Valley

Day 8 : Tirthan Valley to Karol Bagh, New Delhi
Old 28th November 2016, 09:45   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thanks Shreyans, that's a wonderful suggestion.

Based on what you recommended, I have created a draft plan as below.

Let me know if this is doable? If not, please feel free to tweak it. I dont mind adding a day to below itenary

Day 1 : Karol Bagh, New Delhi to Kangra

Day 2 : Kangra Local Sightseeing

Day 3: Kangra to Mcleodgung, Dharamsala and Triund

Day 4 : Kangra to Palampur

Day 5 : Kangra to Manali

Day 6 : Manali

Day 7: Manali to Tirthan Valley

Day 8 : Tirthan Valley to Karol Bagh, New Delhi

I thought you've already been to Tirthan and didn't want to visit again! Can't blame you though, it truly is a mesmerizing place. One can spend weeks exploring Tirthan and the hidden gems around Jalori.

Coming back to topic, it sounds pretty much like a plan. I would suggest a few things though.

1. Drive to Kangra via Ludhiana, Phagwara, Hoshiarpur, Chintpurni-Jwalaji instead of the Ropar-Nagal-Una route. Better roads, lesser congestion.

2. There isn't much to see in Kangra itself apart from the fort and a few temples. This can be a rest day for the upcoming Triund Trek.

3. There is a one-way system for traffic management in McLeodgunj. Verify the timings, plan accordingly and leave early. We didn't know and ended up wasting a few hours waiting for our turn. Also, the place gets very crowded and parking is a real pain there.

4. Kangra to Palamapur is a scenic drive through tea gardens with beautiful views. But again, there isn't much to see in Palampur itself. So as you are planning to go Manali and Palampur falls en-route, I'd suggest you club the two and save a day. Gives you the additional day in Tirthan.

5. If you have religious inclinations, you have the option of visiting various temples including Chintpurni-Jwalaji, Bhagsunag and Baijnath
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 11:32   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I thought you've already been to Tirthan and didn't want to visit again! Can't blame you though, it truly is a mesmerizing place. One can spend weeks exploring Tirthan and the hidden gems around Jalori.
Thanks Again for your wonderful inputs

1. I'm personally a fan of Tirthan Valley and dont mind adding it to itenary if it ain't messing up other things. I just want to stay in some cottage by the stream and spend a night just listening to water gushing by

2. Also, do you recommend making Kangra as base location or McLeodgunj? I mean book a hotel in base location for 2-3 days and visit the nearby places like Dharmasala, Palampur, Triund etc? Thoughts?

3. Finally, any hotels that you can recommend in all these places?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks