Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2017, 13:29   #916
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Hello BHPians, I am planning to go to Virajpet on Tuesday from Chennai by Road. I am planning to start at 3 am from chennai and want to know best route and restaurant options.My final destination is Club Mahindra at Virajpet.
From Chennai, vellore-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Electronic City-NICE road-Mysore road exit-Mandya-Srirangapatna-KRS road-Yelwala-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Virajpet.
Excellent roads all the way. 6/4 Lane till Srirangapatna, then 2 lane till Yelwala, 4 lane till Bilikere and 2 lane then onwards.
Plenty of good restaurants all over the Bangalore-Mysore road, and after Srirangapatna, Cafe County Hunsur is a good one. Expect moderate traffic on Mysore-Bangalore road especially inside towns of Ramnagar, Channapatna and Mandya.
I have no idea about the road from Virajpet town to Club mahindra.

google maps link for the route. https://goo.gl/qjysQO

You could have posted this query in the Bangalore-kannur route query thread. Bangalore-Virajpet is 80% of the route from Bangalore to Kannur

Last edited by sandsun7 : 14th May 2017 at 13:31.
Old 15th May 2017, 10:52   #917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post

I narrowly escaped from a major accident somewhere between Mysore and Nanjanagudu. The road between Mysore and Nanjanagudu is 4 lane now, but there is a culvert where the road is only 1 lane wide and the outer lane disappears without any warning (both sides of the road).
It started raining once we crossed Mysore and I was doing around 60 kmph on this road, there was a lorry on right lane and I was overtaking it when I realized that there is NO road infront of me but a concrete culvert. Since the Lorry was on right, I have only one option to brake hard and my car stopped with just 1 feet (literally) to spare.

Sorry, I dont have exact coordinates of these three, will capture it on my return next week.

Here are the exact positions, all of them while coming from Gundlupet to Mysore.

1. 100 meter of unpaved road close when you are 5 km away from Nanjangaud. The wide road ends at unpaved road and 4 lane road starts after this stretch
Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries-img_20170514_071801302.jpg

2. The culvert I mention above - 200-300 meters away from the start of 4 lane road/Point number 1
Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries-img_20170514_071941741.jpg

3. 4 lane becomes 2 lane again without warning at the Kabini river bridge after Nanjanagudu. Not sure on the other side

4. 4 lane becomes 2 lane again just before Kadakola town 12 kms before Mysore. (reverse direction travel need not worry on this)
Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries-img_20170514_072806524.jpg

In summary, be very careful on the last 7 km of the Gundlupet - Nanjangaud road till you cross Kabini bridge and be on right lane when ever possible

And just for records , Yesterday was my fastest CLT- Whitefield drive, 4.30 AM start, 7.30 AM Mysore ORR start and 11 AM Whitefield ( including a 30 minute break). Gundlupet - Mysore was done very fast, Mysore ORR helped clear Mysore town in ~15 minutes

Last edited by arjithin : 15th May 2017 at 11:01.
arjithin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 15:05   #918
BHPian

Quote:
4 lane becomes 2 lane again without warning at the Kabini river bridge after Nanjanagudu. Not sure on the other side
The reverse (Mysore to Nanjangud) is fine, as it's the old bridge and part of the old road. Irony is that the newly created bridge has issue
Old 24th May 2017, 07:41   #919
BHPian

Hi,
Am planning a drive down to Thamarasherry solo on a Thursday morning from Electronics city and am looking for a bit of advice.
Thought of going via Ramnagara-channapatna road and Mysore ORR-Gundulpet route. Was planning on a 6 am start- just concerned about city traffic in Mysore- would this route be OK or should i take the Kanakpura road road to Mysore?
Planning to return with the kids on Sunday. Will probably leave Thamarasherry by 10-11 AM. If i am crossing Mysore at 3 Pm what would be the best option to get back to Bangalore?
Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 08:08   #920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudraksh2005 View Post
Hi,
Am planning a drive down to Thamarasherry solo on a Thursday morning from Electronics city and am looking for a bit of advice.
Thought of going via Ramnagara-channapatna road and Mysore ORR-Gundulpet route. Was planning on a 6 am start- just concerned about city traffic in Mysore- would this route be OK or should i take the Kanakpura road road to Mysore?
Planning to return with the kids on Sunday. Will probably leave Thamarasherry by 10-11 AM. If i am crossing Mysore at 3 Pm what would be the best option to get back to Bangalore?
Thanks
Take the mysore ring road to bypass Mysore. Good roads and less traffic all the way. While going take right at Columbia Asia signal and that road will take you to other side of Mysore.

I suggest you start by 5 AM, that will save you around 30 minutes in travel time.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 09:24   #921
BHPian

Quote:
Take the mysore ring road to bypass Mysore. Good roads and less traffic all the way. While going take right at Columbia Asia signal and that road will take you to other side of Mysore.
The right from Columbia Asia is longer (~25km) than the left (~17km) for reaching Nanjangud road, isn't it? In my experience, it is also the more crowded road. I've not taken the right in recent times because I leave early in the morning and reach Mysore by around 5:30 to 6:30 and then it makes no sense to take the ring road at all. While coming back to Bangalore, I take the left fork as mentioned.
A350XWB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 09:52   #922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
The right from Columbia Asia is longer (~25km) than the left (~17km) for reaching Nanjangud road, isn't it?
Yes. The thumb rule is that:

If you are going towards Nanjangud left at Columbia Asia is shorter.
If you are going towards Hunsur right at Columbia Asia is shorter (D-uh!).
If you are going towards Mananthavady both sides are approximately equal in distance.

The left (eastern) arc has many unsignalled junctions with radial routes out of Mysore (Bannur road, T. Narasipura road etc.). Be careful of crossing traffic.

The right (western) arc has I think one or two signals. But the key problem here is the presence of three railway underpasses that are single carriageway and hence sometimes results in bottlenecks.

Otherwise, at all times I have driven on it the MRR is practically empty. It is a six-lane, dual carriageway with service roads that is a beauty to drive on. Watch out for lane blocking done by the traffic police using those metal structures on wheels.

Quote:
Will probably leave Thamarasherry by 10-11 AM. If i am crossing Mysore at 3 Pm what would be the best option to get back to Bangalore?
See if you can start by 9. The alternative Mysore-Bannur-Malavally-Kanakapura-Bangalore route can be tried, but I understand there are some road works happening along that route.

Last edited by Zappo : 24th May 2017 at 12:30. Reason: Merged
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 10:45   #923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I suggest you start by 5 AM, that will save you around 30 minutes in travel time.
Quote:
The right from Columbia Asia is longer (~25km) than the left (~17km) for reaching Nanjangud road, isn't it?
I stand corrected. Its turn LEFT at Columbia Asia signal while going towards Kozhikode.

Apologies for the typo.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 10:55   #924
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Bannur-Malavalli-Kanakapura route has good roads but there is some widening work in progress on Kanakapura Road, so this option gets nullified for now.

Take the Mysore-Bangalore route till Kengeri and then use the NICE Road if your final destination in Bangalore is on the Northern, Southern or Eastern sides.

EDIT:For Electronics City as mentioned in your post, NICE Road is a no-brainer.

Last edited by NPV : 24th May 2017 at 10:58.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 13:00   #925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
If you are going towards Nanjangud left at Columbia Asia is shorter.
If you are going towards Hunsur right at Columbia Asia is shorter (D-uh!).
If you are going towards Mananthavady both sides are approximately equal in distance.
Yes, that sums it up beautifully. Earlier, I used to take the western arc while coming from Kozhikkode and used have a hell of a time due to the traffic because of my timings.
The eastern arc has some non-signaled crossings, but most of the time, police will keep barricades to slow down the traffic. But yes, there are other places where you have to be careful when all of a sudden, bikes appear out of nowhere, crossing the road.

Quote:
I stand corrected. Its turn LEFT at Columbia Asia signal while going towards Kozhikode.
Apologies for the typo.
I also thought that it might be a typo as you are a regular on this route

Last edited by A350XWB : 24th May 2017 at 13:01. Reason: Typo
A350XWB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 13:20   #926
Distinguished - BHPian

As Calicut folks may know, lot of roads are being expanded/newly laid. My sister-in law mentioned yesterday that widening and relaying work is complete on the road that connects the Wayanad/Bangalore Highway from near Karanthur/Nirmala Hospital to the NH Bye-pass near Thondayad. Basically the route shown below. Good option to avoid the Vellimadukunnu/Malaparamba Byepass Jn signal stretch and get on to the bye-pass near Thondayad. The road extends further across the bye-pass and joins up the KT Gopalan Road from where one can get back on Mavoor Road at Kotooli and thus avoid Thondayad Signal also.

Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries-calicutnew.jpg

Although I did not travel by it, looks like the work on the Sarovaram/Kalipoika - Rajendra Nursing Home- Bank Road Cross- MCC Cross Road- Gandhi Road expansion/relaying alignment is almost done. Enables the straight alternate connection to beach side from Mini-Byepass/Arayadathupalam without going through Mavoor Road CSI etc..

Like the way that the expansion is being taken up. Identifying alternate routes and widening/relaying/aligning them instead of looking at fancier options like flyovers straightaway. Calicut definitely needs more roads.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 24th May 2017 at 13:23.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 16:40   #927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
As Calicut folks may know, lot of roads are being expanded/newly laid. My sister-in law mentioned yesterday that widening and relaying work is complete on the road that connects the Wayanad/Bangalore Highway from near Karanthur/Nirmala Hospital to the NH Bye-pass near Thondayad.
Is this the same road which crosses the By-pass near the rumble strips before Thondayad junction? When I visited Kozhikkode last time (first week of May), the entry to this road was partially blocked from both sides and only bike riders were using it. Need to check this out next time.
I have to reach Thenhipalam and due to the current condition of the By-pass with all the construction and traffic, I would love to avoid it as much as possible. Last time, I took the Mukkam-Edavannappara-Kondotty-Kakkanchery route from Thamarassery, which was a much more relaxed drive compared to the regular route via Koduvally-Kunnamangalam. When traveling with family from Bangalore, I usually reach Thamarassery by the start of morning rush-hour.

Last edited by A350XWB : 24th May 2017 at 16:42.
Old 24th May 2017, 17:44   #928
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is this the same road which crosses the By-pass near the rumble strips before Thondayad junction? When I visited Kozhikkode last time (first week of May), the entry to this road was partially blocked from both sides and only bike riders were using it. Need to check this out next time.
I have to reach Thenhipalam and due to the current condition of the By-pass with all the construction and traffic, I would love to avoid it as much as possible.
Exactly. That is the one. Should definitely save time during peak hours.
Old 27th June 2017, 16:28   #929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
As Calicut folks may know, lot of roads are being expanded/newly laid. My sister-in law mentioned yesterday that widening and relaying work is complete on the road that connects the Wayanad/Bangalore Highway from near Karanthur/Nirmala Hospital to the NH Bye-pass near Thondayad. Basically the route shown below. Good option to avoid the Vellimadukunnu/Malaparamba Byepass Jn signal stretch and get on to the bye-pass near Thondayad. The road extends further across the bye-pass and joins up the KT Gopalan Road from where one can get back on Mavoor Road at Kotooli and thus avoid Thondayad Signal also.

Although I did not travel by it, looks like the work on the Sarovaram/Kalipoika - Rajendra Nursing Home- Bank Road Cross- MCC Cross Road- Gandhi Road expansion/relaying alignment is almost done. Enables the straight alternate connection to beach side from Mini-Byepass/Arayadathupalam without going through Mavoor Road CSI etc..

Like the way that the expansion is being taken up. Identifying alternate routes and widening/relaying/aligning them instead of looking at fancier options like flyovers straightaway. Calicut definitely needs more roads.
You can actually enter this road from Mundikkalthazham by taking a left from Karanthur. This new road now bypasses Muzhikkal, Vellimadukunnu, Paroppadi and Malapparamba. This is not shown in Google maps yet, but private cars are also using this road now. See the marked route in blue. The red route takes you to Mavoor road- Thondayadu junction in case you need to go to Ramanattukara route .
Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries-screenshot_1.png
knightrider_7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 10:10   #930
Senior - BHPian

http://www.mathrubhumi.com/news/indi...srtc-1.2205772

Quote:
കോഴിക്കോട്: കോഴിക്കോട് നിന്ന് ബെംഗളൂരുവിലേക്ക് പോയ കെഎസ്ആര്*ടി ബസില്* സിനിമാ സ്*റ്റൈല്* കൊള്ള. ഇന്ന് പുലര്*ച്ചെ 2.45 ഓടെ ബെംഗളൂരുവിൽ നിന്ന് 65 കിലോമീറ...
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed