Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2012, 11:48   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Did Calicut - Bangalore yesterday evening. Started from Calicut around 4PM. Got stuck in ghats due to a truck breakdown on 9th hairpin bend. Lost above 1.5 hrs there. By time we reached Batthery was 8PM. Road between Kalpetta and Batthery is a mess huge potholes which will scratch underbody if you not careful.
From Batthery roads improve, however there are speed breakers put every 500 mts or so in KA side of forest. Took Mysore route itself since it was late and traffic may be lesser by then. Crossed Mysore by 09:45 PM, stopped over Empire Maddur for dinner. They took some 45 mins to serve dosas . Should say food was better than what we are used to in Empire's in Bangalore. Started from there around 11:45, reached Bangalore - Murgeshpalaya at 1:10AM.
Old 6th September 2012, 14:13   #167
BHPian

Bhpians
Need suggestion on a one night stay hotel in/near kozhikkode byepass. I am travelling from Kochi to Bandipur and will be reaching kozhikkode by late night (Can start only by arnd 7.30PM from Kochi). Hotels with online booking options much appreciated

Thanks in advance
Old 6th September 2012, 14:37   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
Bhpians
Need suggestion on a one night stay hotel in/near kozhikkode byepass. I am travelling from Kochi to Bandipur and will be reaching kozhikkode by late night (Can start only by arnd 7.30PM from Kochi). Hotels with online booking options much appreciated
There's the horribly overpriced Kadavu Resort on the bypass itself. If your budget doesn't stretch to Mallya's levels, then one option I can suggest is to take the left turn at the Thondayad Junction on the bypass (Indira Gandhi Road into the city) and cross Baby Memorial Hospital. There is Calicut Towers a bit further (almost bang opposite the Moffusil Bus Stand on IG Road). I had stayed there a couple of weekends back and found it to be reasonably good (Rs. 1350+taxes for an A/c double room). Call 0495-2720702, or check Makemytrip/Cleartrip for online booking.

ObGMaps link: http://goo.gl/maps/qzKrA - 3km from the bypass junction apparently.

Last edited by binand : 6th September 2012 at 14:39.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 15:09   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Soccerfan, plenty of good hotels in Calicut town. With you reaching late night, there should be no problem of traffic. Some of the hotels I know: Hyson, Span International, Paramount, Malabar Gate, Calicut Tower, East Avenue Suits etc.. etc..

For contact # and booking options, just google the Hotel name followed by Calicut. Mostly the hotel website will turn up 1st.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2012, 18:58   #170
BHPian

Thanks for the replies bhpians. Will checkout the options
Old 10th September 2012, 12:59   #171
Senior - BHPian

I stayed in Marina Residency on YMCA road. It costed me about 1500 for an A/c Room. Very neat room, reasonably sized as well. They have a very good restaurant which served complimentary breakfast as part of the package.
Old 13th September 2012, 21:50   #172
BHPian

Any info on road condition to ooty from kabini. kabni resort guys recommend mysore route as the sargur - begur route is in bad condition
Old 13th September 2012, 23:14   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any info on road condition to ooty from kabini. kabni resort guys recommend mysore route as the sargur - begur route is in bad condition
Which resort ? Most of the resorts like Kabini River lodge (JLR property) and the Serai are situated in or around Karapur, and the last 8 to 10 kms after you take the deviation from SH33 are in pretty bad shape.

Orange county is on the other bank of the reservoir. It's about 25-30 kms off SH33 if my memory serves me right. As of last year the road to the resort was reasonably OK (Not as good as SH33, but pretty much managable) except for the last kilometer or two which is more or less like an untarred road.

Addition : In case your destination is Karapur, I have a feeling going via Sulthan Batheri-Mananthavady-Bavali may be shorter / better. If it's orange county, via Mysore would probably be better (Both assuming that you don't want to take the Begur-Sargur road as recommended).

Last edited by kala : 13th September 2012 at 23:18.
Old 14th September 2012, 10:32   #174
BHPian

thanks kala. I'm currently in jlr kabini. need to go to ooty. guess I will take manantavady, bathery, gudalur route. any info on road condition in this route from manantavady. I know abt conditions till manantavady
Old 14th September 2012, 12:03   #175
BHPian

sorry for back to back posts. since its a harthal tmrw in kerala, bathery route won't be feasible. hows sh33, sh 57( hampapura) nanjangud route?
Old 14th September 2012, 12:10   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
thanks kala. I'm currently in jlr kabini. need to go to ooty. guess I will take manantavady, bathery, gudalur route. any info on road condition in this route from manantavady. I know abt conditions till manantavady
Take the route via 4th Mile, to Panamaram from Mananthavadi. Its in a good shape.
From Panamaram take the route via Meenangadi to Bathery, its better than via Beenachi.
Overall to Bathery, the road is good, but with some bad patches.

From Bathery till Gudalur road is good. From Gudalur to Ooty, road is good, but with lot of bad patches. But should not be an issue, we can drive through.
Old 14th September 2012, 14:11   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
sorry for back to back posts. since its a harthal tmrw in kerala, bathery route won't be feasible. hows sh33, sh 57( hampapura) nanjangud route?
I've never travelled on the Nanjangud-Hampapura road. SH33 was in pretty good shape from Mysore till the entrance to the WLS (The point at which the road is closed and you need to take a left turn and go through village roads). From that point to Kabini RIver Lodge would be about 12 kms approximately, and the road conditions vary from bad to very bad..

If you were coming from the other side, Mananthavadi-Bavali is excellent, and Bavali to the forest checkpost from where SH33 is closed (on the other side of the same closed section of SH33) is very good except for frequent speed breakers. From there to JLR would be about 5 or 6 kms, and that stretch is pretty bad. But then with the harthal I guess it would be risky.

Edit : Noticed only just now that you're in JLR already and want to travel to Ooty. So the directions would be applicable in reverse. (And you must be already aware of the road conditions between Karapur and Mysore :-)

Last edited by kala : 14th September 2012 at 14:13.
Old 14th September 2012, 21:36   #178
BHPian

I came from Kochi via manantavady, bavali. not sure of kabini, hampapura, nanjangud :-). anyway lemme see tmrw
Old 20th September 2012, 09:39   #179
Senior - BHPian

As per news, Bangalore-Mysore highway is blocked by farmers in connection with Cauvery water issue.
Old 20th September 2012, 13:25   #180
BHPian

The road from Karapura till the SH33 was in bad conditions. Therefater it was pure bliss . But have to go all the way till mysore outer ring road to take the route to Nanjangud. Sargur->Begur route is in bad condition I heard

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks