Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2013, 18:45   #301
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Had gone to Calicut for Diwali. Outbound was on 1/11 and return on 5/11. Started at 4AM both ways; reached Calicut at around 12 noon outbound and Bangalore at 2 PM return (!). Had taken the Kanakapura-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet-Bathery-Thamarassery route throughout.
I had also driven to Calicut on the 1st but returned on Sunday (3rd) itself. Started much later both ways, and had longish breaks at Kalpetta on the way.

The only things to add to the road conditions :

1) NH212 has developed quite a few potholes in the Chundale-Lakkidi section (around Vythiri and thereabouts) - some of them are quite deep, so need to drive carefully.

2) While the 3 trenches across the road inside the forest has now been filled in and replaced by speed breakers, there are 2 or 3 new trenches that have come up in the Gundlupet - Forest entrance stretch. Don't seem to be speed breakers that were removed because I don't recall seeing any speed breakers there. These aren't as bad as the earlier ones inside the forest, but still uncomfortable to traverse.

Quote:
On my return, which was past 7PM, understood why NH17 is such a danger - horrible driving habits the drivers of Kerala have. The stretch between Calicut University and Ramanattukara is particularly bad - steep slopes, tight curves, zero illumination and bad drivers make a deadly combination.
+1 to that. It is indeed a pain driving that stretch especially at night.
Old 7th November 2013, 14:16   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On my return, which was past 7PM, understood why NH17 is such a danger - horrible driving habits the drivers of Kerala have. The stretch between Calicut University and Ramanattukara is particularly bad - steep slopes, tight curves, zero illumination and bad drivers make a deadly combination.
+100 to this. My hometown is Tirur and my wife's place is Calicut. So every time I go to Kerala I need to drive this stretch. Last time I went, due to various reasons, I drove this stretch 9 times in one week, half of it after 6PM. Highly stressful.

I have tried all kinds of combinations, the 2 routes that avoid the Chelari-Ramanatukara section are the routes via Parappanagadi-Chettipadi-Aanangadi-Athanikkal- Ferok and Parappanagadi-Chettipadi-Kadulundi-Karuvanthuruthy Ferok (This avoids the 2nd railway gate also). But some sections in these routes are currently in bad shape. But traffic is low and hence it is a relatively stress free drive. But you need to use the the Tirur -Tanur-Parappanangadi route to hit the above routes and this section has become pretty congested now.
Old 11th December 2013, 12:59   #303

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I thought all buses plying in Kerala had to have speed governors that restricted their speed to 60kmph (or 70 ?). Or is this applicable only to private buses ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
The state buses also need to have speed governors. In fact Commissioner Rishi Raj Singh on a surprise visit to a depot found a few ksrtc buses without them and had them impounded!!
Well that is news. I trailed another bus to go from Kottayam to Alleppy. Many times, I was doing 80+ and the bus was still ahead of me. Either my speedo is wrong or the bus is speeding.

One thing that is surprising in Kerala is the number of drivers who cut into the other lane while taking curves. Dangerous practice. Also, overtaking in blind corners seems like a crowd favourite.

Last but not least, many religious vehicles - Shabarimalai trips - were also quite dangerous on the roads. Couple of them made me nervous, as they seemed to be on a suicide mission.

Anyway, is there a route that gets back to Bangalore from Calicut area, or is it better to backtrack to Palghat and then follow the same route?
Old 11th December 2013, 13:37   #304
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphilip.iitk View Post

Anyway, is there a route that gets back to Bangalore from Calicut area, or is it better to backtrack to Palghat and then follow the same route?
Take the NH212 from Calicut via Thamarasserry-Vythiri-Batheri-Muthanga-Gundlupet-Nanjangud-Mysore-Bangalore.Roads are good.Budget for a 7hr drive.Wayside facilities are excellent.

The forest checkpost closes at 9pm at Muthanga,so time your drive accordingly.

http://goo.gl/maps/P7vP0

More on this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-query-21.html

No need to backtrack to Palakkad.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 11th December 2013 at 13:41.
Old 12th December 2013, 16:51   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Question for the experts: I may need to make a Bangalore-Pulpally trip next weekend. I was assuming that the route would be Bangalore-Mysore/Kollegala- Gundlepet-Bathery-Pulpally. But Google maps seems to be showing a different route as default. Is this a good route? Also, looking at the map, the other alternative seems to be Hunsur-Nagarhole. Which would be the best choice?

I will be returning the same day evening: While returning I plan to avoid the Mysore route since it will be Sunday evening and I guess this means I have to return via Bathery, Gundlepet to get on the Chamrajnagar-Kollegala route.

Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries-pulpallymap.jpg
Old 12th December 2013, 17:02   #306
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I was assuming that the route would be Bangalore-Mysore/Kollegala- Gundlepet-Bathery-Pulpally
It would be best to stick to Gundulpet - Bathery - Pulpally route. I have not traveled recently in Nagarhole stretch, however the road was not in good condition as per latest reports.
Also, as you are planning the best would be to stick to Kollegal route on way back.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 16:47   #307
BHPian

Planning to go to Calicut from the Bellandur side. Starting around 2 tomm.
Is Nice Road -> Kollegal -. Chamrajnagar -> Gundlupet recommended or the route via Mysore?
Old 19th December 2013, 19:00   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haripg View Post
Is Nice Road -> Kollegal -. Chamrajnagar -> Gundlupet recommended or the route via Mysore?
I assume you mean 2pm. At this time probably it is better to take the kollegal route.
Old 20th December 2013, 11:50   #309
BHPian

Hello,

Last time (around 2 years back) the road near Kabani was very bad. All most no road! Any Mysore to HD kotte was okey.

Quote:
Question for the experts: I may need to make a Bangalore-Pulpally trip next weekend. I was assuming that the route would be Bangalore-Mysore/Kollegala- Gundlepet-Bathery-Pulpally. But Google maps seems to be showing a different route as default. Is this a good route? Also, looking at the map, the other alternative seems to be Hunsur-Nagarhole. Which would be the best choice?

I will be returning the same day evening: While returning I plan to avoid the Mysore route since it will be Sunday evening and I guess this means I have to return via Bathery, Gundlepet to get on the Chamrajnagar-Kollegala route.

Attachment 1177431
Old 20th December 2013, 12:13   #310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haripg View Post
Second what Rajeevraj mentioned above. Kollegal route would be best for a 2PM start, infact I guess speed breakers on Mysore road means Kollegal route is best option anytime.

Do note that it takes around 3.5 hours from NICE road exit on Kanakpura road - Gundelpet. Though a 2 PM start will not cause any issue, please do keep the 9 PM forest check post closure in mind.

You will be able to reach check-post with sufficient time even if you take Mysore road (Via NICE road), there was a KSRTC bus (not sure about it now) which starts from Satellite stand at 04.00 PM which reaches check-post around 08.45 PM.
Old 20th December 2013, 20:14   #311
BHPian

Hi Planning to drive for the first time from Bangalore to Calicut, have been to mysore thou. So what should I be aware of from Mysore to Calicut, I see there is a forest area in between. Just curious is it 2 lane road or single lane, also will there be regular to fro traffic during day time. Please let me know which is the best route considering I will be travelling with wifey & 4 year old kid.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Samsan
Old 20th December 2013, 21:17   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
Hi Planning to drive for the first time from Bangalore to Calicut, have been to mysore thou. So what should I be aware of from Mysore to Calicut, I see there is a forest area in between. Just curious is it 2 lane road or single lane, also will there be regular to fro traffic during day time. Please let me know which is the best route considering I will be travelling with wifey & 4 year old kid.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Samsan
From Mysore, your route would be Nanjangud-Gundlepet-Bathery-Kalpetta-Calicut. It is a straightforward route. The only real junction is at Gundlepet, where after Gundlepet town you need to take a right. The straight road goes towards Gudalur-Ooty.

The forest section is the Bandipur forest and comes between Gundlepet and Bathery. There will be speedbreakers every few 100 meters inside the forest section, so be aware of that. If you are lucky you may sight some deer herds, Langurs etc.. The Karantaka-Kerala Border is inside the forest. It is called Muthanga. From Muthanga all the way till you get down the ghats consists of the hilly wayanad district which means pretty much winding roads. The ghat section consists of 9 hair pin bends.

The road from Mysore all the way to Calicut is single laned. Road condition is great. Expect reasonable traffic between Mysore and Nanjangud. Nanjangud-Gundlepet-Bathery traffic will not be high. Once you cross bathery, all the way to Calicut expect reasonably heavy traffic.

Regarding halts, I normally stop at the Coffee Day which is on the left side just before Gundlepet town, Other options I have used are Mintflower- As you enter Bathery town right side, Woodlands-As you reach Kalpetta, and a couple of resorts before you hit the Ghat section(15-20 min after Kalpetta). Key thing with all these places are good rest rooms.

Rough timings would be as follows

Mysore-Gundlepet: 1 hr
Gundlepet-Bathery- 1 hr
Bathery- kalpetta- 30 min
Kalpetta- Start of Ghat Section (Lakkidi): 30min
Ghat section: 20-30 min
Adivaram (bottom of the ghat) to Calicut: 1 hr.

Regulars to Calicut also use an alternative route: Bangalore-Kanakpura-Kollegal-Chamrajnagar-Gundlepet and then the regular route. But since it is your first time, I would recommend sticking to the Mysore route.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 20th December 2013 at 21:18. Reason: Typo Correction
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 21:35   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
You really should scroll back a bit and read past messages, but in summary:

- Unless there are other compulsions, you should really stick to Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Sulthan Bathery-Kalpetta-Thamarassery-Koduvalli-Calicut route. It is the best for groups with women/children passengers.

- Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet - I can't help you.

- Gundlupet-Calicut (NH 212) is entirely 2-lane, single carriageway with half-lane hard+half lane soft shoulder on either side for most of the distance. I generally cover this distance in 3 to 3.5 hours (about 150 km for me).

- Gundlupet-forest edge - excellent roads, occasional speed breakers (typically as you enter and as you leave a village). Traffic is scarce except weekends/late afternoons. This is about 18 km.

- Forest edge on KA side - KA-KL border. About 18 km of careful, slow progress. You will see various fauna, but please be aware that they have the first claim on the forest - do not litter, stop, blare your stereo, smoke etc. There are about 35 speedbreakers in this stretch, so progress would be slow.

- KA-KL border - Sultan Bathery town. About 20 km. No speed breakers, good roads. Same comment as above applies while you are within the forest in the KL side.

- Sultan Bathery-Kalpetta-Lakkidi. About 40 km. Quite a lot of traffic during day time. Almost all towns are potential traffic bottlenecks (none have bypasses). Bathery and Kalpetta are particularly egregious, they will take between 30-45 minutes to cross during daytime. The road is also full of twists and turns, with the notorious Kerala buses/lorries/jeeps etc. all on the prowl. Drive very carefully. Excellent road condition.

Lakkidi-Adivaram. 12 km of downhill road. Unpredictable - you might do this in 15 minutes, or you can be stuck for hours. 9 hair-pin bends and several more sharp/blind curves.

Adivaram-Thamarassery-Kunnamangalam-Karanthur. 30 km, near-continuous array of small towns. Heavy traffic, lots of pedestrians. Drive very, very carefully.

Karanthur-wherever you want to go in Calicut city. Calicut is like any Indian city of comparable size - too many vehicles, too little policemen, general chaos prevails on the roads.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 21:46   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The road from Mysore all the way to Calicut is single laned.
Quote:
- Gundlupet-Calicut (NH 212) is entirely 2-lane, single carriageway with half-lane hard+half lane soft shoulder on either side for most of the distance.
Sorry for back to back posts, and for quoting myself. But as all can see, these two contradict each other. My version is the factually and pedantically correct one. Lane is the part of road demarcated for a single file of vehicles, while carriageway is an orthogonal section of road across which unrestricted movement of vehicles is possible.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 22:15   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for back to back posts, and for quoting myself. But as all can see, these two contradict each other. My version is the factually and pedantically correct one. Lane is the part of road demarcated for a single file of vehicles, while carriageway is an orthogonal section of road across which unrestricted movement of vehicles is possible.
Agree with your comment. What you mentioned is the correct way to describe. The only reason I called it single-laned was because samsan02 in his post had asked if it was 2 lane or single lane road. So kept the same context in my reply.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed