Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2013, 15:11   #286
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Lot of white lines across the road at several places on the Bathery-Kalpetta stretch which would appear to be speed breakers from a distance, but aren't. Couldn't figure out the purpose of these. Any guesses ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Pedestrian crossings?
Certainly not pedestrian crossings. These are thin (may be about 6 inches only) white lines that go right across the road, always in a group of about 15-20 lines at a distance of about 10 or 15 meters between each (And also not every line is a single line - there are double lines and triple lines too). Also in most places where such lines were seen, the center portions are marked as something resembling a traffic island or an imaginary road divider (a broad strip of about 1 meter width demarcated with white lines in the middle of the road and the strip covered with slanted white lines).

Looked to me like some indication to drivers to slow down, but I haven't seen such markings anywhere else in India or abroad.
Old 16th October 2013, 12:01   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Certainly not pedestrian crossings.
===============
Looked to me like some indication to drivers to slow down, but I haven't seen such markings anywhere else in India or abroad.
Similar lines were seen when we traveled in August along Tamil Nadu SHs adjoining Thiruannamalai/Kancheepuram. These were mostly at village entry points obviously to warn motorists to slow down. Some places earlier hump projections were visible too. Certainly a better professional method than humps.
Old 16th October 2013, 13:36   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Certainly not pedestrian crossings. These are thin (may be about 6 inches only) white lines that go right across the road, always in a group of about 15-20 lines at a distance of about 10 or 15 meters between each (And also not every line is a single line - there are double lines and triple lines too). Also in most places where such lines were seen, the center portions are marked as something resembling a traffic island or an imaginary road divider (a broad strip of about 1 meter width demarcated with white lines in the middle of the road and the strip covered with slanted white lines).

The Calicut-Palakkad NH has such markings (From your description, Looks to be the same thing). I had also asked around and even attempted googling. But could not find out what they meant.
Old 16th October 2013, 13:37   #289
BHPian

Quote:

Were these just before some curves or turns? Might be then to indicate to get over to the left before the curve begins!
Old 16th October 2013, 13:46   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also in most places where such lines were seen, the center portions are marked as something resembling a traffic island or an imaginary road divider
Oh OK, I now know what you mean. I think it has to do something with bus stops. These are locations where there are bus stops on both sides of the road - so, if two buses (in opposite directions) stop then the whole road is blocked. My guess is that these special lines mark the perimeter of the zone within which buses are allowed to stop, and the middle imaginary divider indicates the pass-through lane for other vechiles (cars etc.).
Old 16th October 2013, 17:38   #291
BHPian

1. Mysore - Gundelpet - Sultan Bathery - Kalpetta - Vytheri - Calicut
The best route. Roads is good, once you enter Kerala. And Karnataka section is also not bad. Only thing : in the frost area, (which is under Karnataka) has lots of humps. So, be careful.

2. Mysore - Gundelpet - Bandipur - Gudalur - Pandalur - Vytheri
I travelled in the route some 4 years back, during one rainy season. The views are super good ! Roads were not so bad. But you will take more time, and I think you need to pay toll/fees at Tamilnadu check post.

3. Mysore - Hampapura - Kakankote - Manantody - Vytheri - Calicut
Never tried this. But travelld the last part (Mananthody-Vytheri-Calicut) Road si good. But Mysore to Hampaura might take more time.
Old 21st October 2013, 10:46   #292
BHPian

I got fined here once , its very easy to miss - I was driving at a sedate 70Kms there , but the cops informed that it is some town area and hence speed needs to be 50kmph :-( , they claim they have a board upstream
Old 30th October 2013, 06:59   #293
Senior - BHPian

This thread has rarely discussed this - which are the best fuel stations on this route, especially on the KL side? Preferably with landmarks and GPS coordinates.
Old 30th October 2013, 10:28   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyvictor View Post
I got fined here once , its very easy to miss - I was driving at a sedate 70Kms there , but the cops informed that it is some town area and hence speed needs to be 50kmph :-( , they claim they have a board upstream
Which town was this ?

Quote:
This thread has rarely discussed this - which are the best fuel stations on this route, especially on the KL side? Preferably with landmarks and GPS coordinates.
I generally fill up at Padma Service station, Kalpetta (belongs to M.P.Veerendrakumar - ex Union minister / MD of Mathrubhoomi publishing).

http://goo.gl/maps/vhh2L

Quite a decent place - in fact one of the very few places where the attendants refuse to accept a tip after helping you check your tyre pressures and refill air..

But generally crowded because it is the only fuel station inside Kalpetta town.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 11:57   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have fueled up quite a few times at a bunk just before entering Kalpetta town when coming from Calicut-On the Left side. No cause for complaints.

Have also heard good reports from immediate family on the bunk around a km before Adivaram.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 21:44   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which one in Bathery is best? I normally fill the tank at Bathery while leaving Kerala or entering Kerala taking advantage of the lower petrol price in Kerala.
Old 30th October 2013, 22:01   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Which one in Bathery is best? I normally fill the tank at Bathery while leaving Kerala or entering Kerala taking advantage of the lower petrol price in Kerala.
I used to tank up at one of the two fuel stations near Beenachi (an IOC one on the right or the BP one on the left when coming from Calicut) till some time back. But these days their air compressors are always "out of order", so you can't fill up air, and they don't accept credit cards either (even though they flaunt a board that says credit cards accepted). So I stopped using them for a while now. Haven't tried the IOC one in town (which is always crowded) or the HP and IOC bunks that come up after passing the town (when coming towards Bangalore)
kala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 12:25   #298
BHPian

Drove Bangalore(ITPL)-Silk Board-NICE Road-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-C’Nagara-Gundlupet-S’Bathery-Panamaram-Tharuvna-Niravilpuzha-Kuttiadi-Vadakara(Villiappally) to yesterday evening. As I left late from office, I did not take the regular route through Hunsur-Nagerhole-Kutta-Mananthavady. If I am leaving after 2 PM from office, reaching Nagerhole before 6 PM is very difficult. I left office at 2.45 PM only so decided to take the Bathery route. Updates timings and traffic conditions below (Road conditions are well-known in this route):

Bangalore(ITPL) to Kanakapura road (NICE road exit) – Started from office near ITPL at 2.46 PM. Took the Graphite India-Marthahally-Silk board-NICE Road route. The traffic till Silk board was fine and crossed Silk board by 3.20 PM. The traffic was heavy on the Hosur road, managed to reach the Kanapura road exit at 3.50 PM. I was in two minds before entering the NICE road whether to take the Mysore road or Kanakapura road to reach Gundlupet. As I reached the toll gate, Kanakapura road came in my mouth and then decided to take that.

NICE Road exit to Malavalli – The traffic was less on the NH 209. Even the Harohalli and Kanapura towns were less crowded. The roads are awesome and scenic. I recommend this route in daytime over the speed breaker SH17. Reached Malavalli at 5.05 PM.
Malavalli to Kollegal – Minimum traffic and excellent roads. Made good time in this stretch. Reached Kollegal at 5.30 PM.

Kollegal to C’Nagar – It was a challenging drive after Kollegal. Everyone knows the narrow villages between Kollegal and C’Nagar, all the cattle and people of the village were on the road. It was a zig-zag drive through villagers, cows, ghots, dogs etc in the fading light. Reached C’Nagar at 6.10 PM.

Chamrajnagar to Gundlupet – I was expecting really bad roads on this stretch after the monsoon. Last time I have done this route in May. But the roads were good and traffic was less. Another important thing notice here, most of the oncoming traffic was ready to dip their headlamps which made the progress easy. I had a nightmare traveling on the Shimoge-Tumkur last Saturday where nobody doesn’t even know there is an option called dim-bright lights. Reached Gundlupet at 6.42 PM.

Gundlupet to Sulthan Bathery – Excellent roads all the way. Other than frequent speed breaker in the Karnataka everything was good. Traffic was light. Now, all the speed breakers are clearly marked and the cuts previously existing are converted into proper humps. Reached Sulthan Bathery by 7.45 PM.

Sulthan Bathery to Panamaram – Took the right from Beenachi through Kenichira and Nadavayal. Traffic was less and there were some occasional bad patches. Rains started as I approach Panamaram. Reached Panamaram at 8.30 PM.

Panamaram to Niravilpuzha – The Mananthavady-Calicut road upto Nalaam mile was superb. The roads are really bad between Nalaam mile and Tharuvana. Rains became heavy also which reduced the visibility. Traffic was minimal. After Tharuvana the roads are a little better with occasional bad patches. The rain was heavy and so the progress was slow. The 1 km detour at Niravilpuzha due to bridge construction was really bad. I was literally crawling this 1km in 1st gear only. Reached Niravilpuzha by 9.20 PM.

Niravilpuzha to Kuttiadi – Excellent roads. The best ghat section around and least traffic. Reached Kuttiadi at 9.45 PM and stopped there for my first break. It was continuous drive for 7 hours and 350 kms which have taken my energy level down.

Kuttiadi to Villappally – The traffic was less in the late hours. Reached home safely at 10.15 PM.

Hope it helps

Regards,
Deepak Erancheri
denver85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 22:29   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
While coming from bathery to calicut, i pick the BP after the right turn post bathery main center. It comes to the right. Fuel quality is good and the toilet facility is v good.

Else go to the ioc on the bathery hilltop center.

Personally prefer to provide cash than a credit card in KL fuel stations.
FuelInjector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 18:27   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I am doing this route again between 1-4 November (long weekend); will update after that.
Had gone to Calicut for Diwali. Outbound was on 1/11 and return on 5/11. Started at 4AM both ways; reached Calicut at around 12 noon outbound and Bangalore at 2 PM return (!). Had taken the Kanakapura-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet-Bathery-Thamarassery route throughout.

Outbound was two cars (my uncle and family in the second; I was leading as the guide vehicle for them). We had packed breakfast so no restaurant break. The road is superb throughout with some minor cracks due to the exceptionally heavy monsoon. No complaints at all.

Return was one car with self and family. Got caught in a religious event at Yelandur town so lost some time there. Apart from that, we stopped at Nijaguna for breakfast - what I had planned as a 30-minute break took more than 1.5 hours. The service was that bad. The food was awful too (I had taken the wife there for the first time after building up a verbal reputation for the place; all shattered). Dirty oil, yukky wadas, barely edible dosas. Turned off Hosur Road to HSR to pick up lunch at Subway there.

Nothing much to report, really. The road quality is as good as ever. The drive is as peaceful.

On Sunday we went to Tirur and Purathur (a small coastal town at the estuary of the Bharathapuzha) where I have relatives. The 55 km to Tirur took 2 hours via Meenchanda-Ramanattukara-Chelari-Chettippadi-Tanur. Did disaster tourism - showed my wife the locations of two major recent accidents (Jagathy's and the bus-rickshaw crash from a few weeks back). This entire stretch is very nice to drive - except that I got caught at the two railway gates both ways. On my return, which was past 7PM, understood why NH17 is such a danger - horrible driving habits the drivers of Kerala have. The stretch between Calicut University and Ramanattukara is particularly bad - steep slopes, tight curves, zero illumination and bad drivers make a deadly combination.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks