Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2014, 18:23   #391
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

A quick question - what would be a less crowded, family friendly, good food breakfast option on the Mysore Road suitable for a 6 AM start from Bangalore tomorrow?

Also, there was a post in this thread or elsewhere which very nicely detailed the way through Mysore city to exit onto NH 212 - can someone point me to that?
Old 27th July 2014, 19:01   #392
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
A quick question - what would be a less crowded, family friendly, good food breakfast option on the Mysore Road suitable for a 6 AM start from Bangalore tomorrow?
A good option will be Kamat Janapadloka on the right side soon after Ramanagaram. However with a 06.00 AM start I guess you will be crossing it around 07.30 AM.
Another option can be Hotel Amaravati before Mandya.

For crossing Mysore city just follow directions to Mysore Palace, once you cross palace you need to take left towards NH 212. This is the route you have to follow, the Kamat Madhuvan at end of the map route is also a good breakfast option.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 19:10   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Also, there was a post in this thread or elsewhere which very nicely detailed the way through Mysore city to exit onto NH 212 - can someone point me to that?
Last time I stopped at a business hotel kind of place just before Mysore ring road signal. It seemed new. Did not try the food but was a clean restaurant with excellent rest rooms.

On crossing Mysore I had post a set of instructions a couple of times. Not sure if you meant that. In summary keep going straight after the ring road signal. Head straight through the several circles till you hit a t junction. Take a right, first left, go past ksrtc stand, road curves left, take the next right, go straight, past the palace and take the exit towards gundlepet.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 19:19   #394
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You can stop at Adigas in Maddur on right side. Just opposite to Adigas, on left side of the highway itself, there is a restaurant called Thimmadas that was also recommended earlier on this thread, but could not try it as it wasn't open when we reached there at 6.30am last time. If you start from Blr at 6am both these places should be open. Crowds depend on the day, weekends & holidays it will be crowded.
For the route to Gundlupet via Mysore city, just keep heading straight and ask/look for signs to the Palace/Ooty/Calicut. As @Rajeevraj mentioned, head straight at all the circles enroute, go past KSRTC bus stand (on your right side), turn left, then right go past Hotel Siddartha and then you will head towards Palace/Ooty/Calicut direction. Kamat Madhuvan is nearby to Palace, another option for breakfast

Last edited by NPV : 27th July 2014 at 19:21.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 12:19   #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
How is the road conditions
Tholpetty>begur forest reserve>kabini reservoir>sargur>Mysore.
Is there any timing for entry into begur forest road.
Will be on a bike so want to know if it's moon path or smooth tarmac.

Bikes are forbidden through Nagarhole route, make a quick check before you head out.
Old 11th August 2014, 13:24   #396
Senior - BHPian

I am again on the road to Calicut, on independence day. Thinking of going via Mananthavady this time. What is the opinion of (Malavally-T. Narasipur-) Nanjangud-Handpost-Bavali route?

Will be driving solo in my I10 with probably a 5 AM start from Bangalore.
Old 11th August 2014, 17:17   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am again on the road to Calicut, on independence day. Thinking of going via Mananthavady this time. What is the opinion of (Malavally-T. Narasipur-) Nanjangud-Handpost-Bavali route?

Will be driving solo in my I10 with probably a 5 AM start from Bangalore.
Not much of information about the condition of roads connecting the Mysore-Mananthavady SH33 to NH212. (Nanjangud-Hampapura or Begur-Handpost ). I had travelled on the T.Narsipur-Nanjangud road a while back, and the condition then was mixed - with some good patches and some horrendous sections as well. No idea about current conditions. Malavalli-T.Narsipur should be decent.

I'd think Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore-HDKote-Bavali-Mananthavady would probably be a safer option. SH33 between Malavalli and Mysore is generally in OK condition except for small sections around Bannur town, and as per last reports Mysore-Bavali-Mananthavady is also in good shape probably with only small sections of relaying remaining in the Village roads near Karapur.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 11:47   #398
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, kala. I have pretty much completed my planning; the only grey area at the moment is the route from Mananthavady to Kalpetta. There seems to me are two routes:

* The M'vady-Calicut route which goes via Panamaram and connects to NH 212 at Kainaty, a few metres shy of the spot where the Kalpetta bypass starts.

* Another route that requires one to take a detour from the above route a few km (about 6-7 km, at a guess) from M'vady, and then join the KL SH 54 to connect to NH 212 in the middle of Kalpetta town.

The latter seems to me is a few kms shorter (looking at Google Maps) but I recall all Calicut-M'vady buses used to claim via: Panamaram, which makes me suspect the former route is better in quality. Any first-hand knowledge here?
Old 13th August 2014, 11:52   #399
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Begur-Handpost
Quote:
Thanks, kala. I have pretty much completed my planning; the only grey area at the moment is the route from Mananthavady to Kalpetta. There seems to me are two routes:
Handpost to Begur is broken for about 2-3km beyond Kabini around Nugu. But other wise very decent to drive. It was basically getting re-laid, when I drove before the rains. Not sure if it was completed.
Old 13th August 2014, 17:04   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

* The M'vady-Calicut route which goes via Panamaram and connects to NH 212 at Kainaty, a few metres shy of the spot where the Kalpetta bypass starts.

* Another route that requires one to take a detour from the above route a few km (about 6-7 km, at a guess) from M'vady, and then join the KL SH 54 to connect to NH 212 in the middle of Kalpetta town.

The latter seems to me is a few kms shorter (looking at Google Maps) but I recall all Calicut-M'vady buses used to claim via: Panamaram, which makes me suspect the former route is better in quality. Any first-hand knowledge here?
I guess you must be referring to the deviation from Naalaam mile towards Tharuvana and reaching Kalpetta via Padinjarethara-Pinangode-Vengappally ? If so it isn't really worth it. The distance saving isn't much (May be 2-3 kms ? Definitely under 5) and the Panamaram-Kainatty road is much better in terms of quality.

If at all you want to take the road via Padinjarethara, there's no point coming to Kalpetta either. Better to continue straight from Padinjarethara towards Pozhuthana and join NH212 at Vythiri. Very curvy roads, but a scenic drive amidst tea plantations. Again distance wise not much of a savings, and will certainly be slower than going via Panamaram-Kaniyambetta-Kainatty.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 09:19   #401
BHPian

Mysore - Mananthavady Road:

I took the Mananthavady Mysore road 2 days back from Kattikulam.
Kattikulam - Bavali - Forest Road - Handpost - Mysore.
The road is good all the way, except for the very frequent humps.
Old 18th August 2014, 12:24   #402
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haripg View Post
The road is good all the way, except for the very frequent humps.
Have they marked these speed breakers now?
Last time I traveled it was very difficult to identify these speed breakers due to lack of signage's and markings.
Old 18th August 2014, 12:38   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Have they marked these speed breakers now?
Last time I traveled it was very difficult to identify these speed breakers due to lack of signage's and markings.
If my memory serves me right the ones inside the forest from Bavali till the start of the deviation towards Karapur were all pretty well well marked earlier itself. Is it the same ones that we're talking about ?
Old 18th August 2014, 12:51   #404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
If my memory serves me right the ones inside the forest from Bavali till the start of the deviation towards Karapur were all pretty well well marked earlier itself. Is it the same ones that we're talking about ?
During a trip to Kabni Jungle lodges in May end I had noticed many speed breakers between Handpost and JLR turn off unmarked. Also the speed breakers at start of forest stretch were also not marked. Saw quiet few skid marks near forest ones, guess due to shadow from trees drivers were finding it difficult to spot the speed breakers.

I guess the ones you are saying are further towards KL border.
Old 18th August 2014, 13:18   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
During a trip to Kabni Jungle lodges in May end I had noticed many speed breakers between Handpost and JLR turn off unmarked. Also the speed breakers at start of forest stretch were also not marked. Saw quiet few skid marks near forest ones, guess due to shadow from trees drivers were finding it difficult to spot the speed breakers
Ah OK. I haven't travelled on this route for quite a while now (Probably a year+) so these speed breakers may perhaps be newer, I don't recall too many of them between Mysore and the WLS entrance.

Quote:
I guess the ones you are saying are further towards KL border.
Yes - the ones I'm referring to are the ones inside the forest stretch after you pass the villages when going from Mysore. There are a lot of them in that stretch - say at least 2 per km, but they were all generally well marked.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks