Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2015, 12:26   #511
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortopilot View Post
Hi Team,

I have to drive down to Calicut on Feb 8th Sunday but unfortunately have quite a few constraints

1) Departure - Earliest Koramangala 6.00 PM
2) Arrival - Before 4.00 AM (preferably 3) at Calicut

This obviously throws the regular route out the window, which alternate route do I take and by when can I reach Calicut?

I drive a bolero and am very comfortable driving ghat's at night (from Kanjirapally, Kerala )
You can take the route taken by private buses. Mysore-hunsur-gonikoppa-kutta-manathavady-kalpetta- calicut. Not sure of the condition between gonikoppa and kutta, but last time I went in bus it seemed OK. The kallada volvo that leave kalasipalayalam by 9-10 reaches calicut by 6. So with a 6pm start you should be able to reach by 3-4am.

Other option is to go via Coimbatore. Since you have the 4 lane all the way to cbe and you will be doing palakkad calicut late night, you should be able to to reach in 10 hrs although distance is more than 100km more.

Note: assuming you are used to driving at night and there is more than one driver.
Old 11th January 2015, 18:03   #512
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
You can take the route taken by private buses. Mysore-hunsur-gonikoppa-kutta-manathavady-kalpetta- calicut. Not sure of the condition between gonikoppa and kutta, but last time I went in bus it seemed OK.
Thanks for the response I think I will go via Bangalore -> Hunsur -> Gonikoppal -> Kutta -> Mananthavady and so on, I will update the thread about the road conditions post travel.

Last edited by ortopilot : 11th January 2015 at 18:05. Reason: hyperlink not working, removed
Old 11th January 2015, 18:45   #513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortopilot View Post
Thanks for the response I think I will go via Bangalore -> Hunsur -> Gonikoppal -> Kutta -> Mananthavady and so on,
As per my colleague who travelled few weeks back apart from ~4 KMS around Hunsur roads are good.

Have a safe drive.
Old 16th January 2015, 12:01   #514
Senior - BHPian

Folks - is there any views on offer on the condition of these two roads connecting NH 209 and NH 7:

- Kanakapura-Thally-Hosur
- Harohalli-Anekal-Attibele

Planning to take one of these in an upcoming return trip to Calicut.
Old 16th January 2015, 12:11   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Folks - is there any views on offer on the condition of these two roads connecting NH 209 and NH 7:

- Kanakapura-Thally-Hosur
- Harohalli-Anekal-Attibele

Planning to take one of these in an upcoming return trip to Calicut.
I have tried part of the Harohalli - Attibele road a couple of years ago. (From Harohalli I went to Jigani - Electronic city instead of Anekal - Attibele - The first 60% or so of the road is the same as the one that goes to Anekal). The road was good only in parts and took me quite a while to traverse (average speed of probably 30 kmph), so never tried it again. No idea about current conditions.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 16:53   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Which route did you take to talakad? The right turn just before the blocked bridge? If so how is the road condition up to talakad?

Yes Rajeev. The rigt turn just before the blocked bridge. The road is beautiful going through paddy fields. Single lane but no traffic though. It's a straight road till you reach a place where there is a board to Kollegal pointing to left. Do not take that road.
Go towards T Narsipura and just before reaching the city, there is a left towards Chamrajnagar. There are signboards to indicate that.

This road is very smooth again with fields on both sides. And I felt it had a lot of character (wells, temples, sugarcane mills etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Oops I thought you were aware of the bridge closure, it's being discussed in few threads since a month or so.

If you're returning with family suggest you start early and take Mysore Road.

Yes. Took Mysore Road. Left Calicut by 6:30 and reached Indiranagar at 16:00.
Loved the Thalakkad route, but the stretch has no eatery or toilets in between that bridge till T.Narsipura.

Last edited by Samurai : 18th January 2015 at 23:39. Reason: back-to-back
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 07:26   #517
Senior - BHPian

Is the route via Chamrajnagar - Kollegal- Gundlepet okay to travel on a bike?

The last time I posted, I couldn't get an update and ended up doing the Mysore route which was okay.
Old 22nd January 2015, 08:07   #518
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

The last time I posted, I couldn't get an update and ended up doing the Mysore route which was okay.
It should be actually much more fun on a bike. Although since the bridge near kollegal is closed you will need to take malavalli-talakad-t narsipur- chamrajnagar- gundlepet. This will be even more enjoyable on a bike. In fact when I was returning last time, me and my co brother were talking about planning a bike trip through that route.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 14:04   #519
BHPian

Quote:
One of my friends took that route last month in his Bullet and enjoyed it. As the bridge is closed, took the route that Rajeevraj mentioned above.

Post Gundlupet however, he encountered a herd of elephants in the Bandipur forest road, which was a bit scary. He managed to move on before elephants got too close. This was at around 7:30 PM.
motorsan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 14:24   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsan View Post
Post Gundlupet however, he encountered a herd of elephants in the Bandipur forest road, which was a bit scary. He managed to move on before elephants got too close. This was at around 7:30 PM.
Elephant encounters are very frequent in this route especially in evening and early mornings. If on bike one should be very careful since they are known to chase bikes frequently.
Old 28th January 2015, 18:31   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am planning to do the above route one way and the return planning to take the route below in the map. The destination is Quilandy and when I plotted it , this is what I got.

Anyone has any info on this route and how good it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries-untitled.png  

Old 28th January 2015, 18:56   #522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to do the above route one way and the return planning to take the route below in the map. The destination is Quilandy and when I plotted it , this is what I got.

Anyone has any info on this route and how good it is.
I don't think you need to go via Hunsur-Gonikoppal route. You can take SH 33 from Mysore and go via Handpost and nagarhole. The below post by binand describes the route in details. Should be great on a bike.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3507902

This is the route Link

EDIT: forgot to mention. Not sure of the latest conditions between Manathavady and Kuttiadi. Assume it should be good.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 28th January 2015 at 19:07.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 19:19   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think you need to go via Hunsur-Gonikoppal route. You can take SH 33 from Mysore and go via Handpost and nagarhole. The below post by binand describes the route in details. Should be great on a bike.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3507902

This is the route Link

EDIT: forgot to mention. Not sure of the latest conditions between Manathavady and Kuttiadi. Assume it should be good.
Awesome! This route it is. Looks like the most direct and straight route in the map.
This will be the first time after years of traveling between Bangalore and Calicut/Quilandy that I will be trying a different route that does not take the usual Thamarassery Ghats.

Thanks for the map plot.
Old 29th January 2015, 12:11   #524
Senior - BHPian

So this morning, I caught on TV (and then later in newspapers) that a research report submitted by KFRI (Kerala Forest Research Institute) to the Supreme Court has declared the night traffic ban in NH 212 an utter failure. The report recommends withdrawal of the ban (restricting it to a total of 3 hours between 5:30 and 7 AM and PM) and convoy movement of vehicles.

My view on this is highly skeptical; I'd rather the Supreme Court gave the two district administrations (Wayanad and Ch. Nagar) and the state forest departments (KL and KA) a few months to get their act together, or else order the permanent closure of the road.
Old 31st January 2015, 13:35   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
So this morning, I caught on TV (and then later in newspapers) that a research report submitted by KFRI (Kerala Forest Research Institute) to the Supreme Court has declared the night traffic ban in NH 212 an utter failure. The report recommends withdrawal of the ban (restricting it to a total of 3 hours between 5:30 and 7 AM and PM) and convoy movement of vehicles.

My view on this is highly skeptical; I'd rather the Supreme Court gave the two district administrations (Wayanad and Ch. Nagar) and the state forest departments (KL and KA) a few months to get their act together, or else order the permanent closure of the road.
Here is the permanent closure verdict by Supreme court ( from todays news paper)

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle6841023.ece

Edit: including a pic of print paper with a map.
Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries-img_20150131_133104.jpg

Last edited by arjithin : 31st January 2015 at 13:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks