Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2015, 11:50   #571
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post

If coming from Kalpetta. turn right at Koyileri toward Kuruva Island and after about 3 kms you come to a fork with a big Cross placed right at the junction (Kurishupalli). The natural curve on the road takes you to the right fork which leads to Payyampally / Kuruva. Take the left fork instead and continue straight on that road to meet the Mananthavady-Kattikkulam road at 54th Mile.
Took this route last week while coming from Kenichira towards Mysore/Bangalore. Excellent roads with negligible traffic.
The point where one has to turn off to this road from Kattikulam-Mananthavady road is exactly at the '6 km to Mananthavady' milestone. There is a small orthodox church on to the left side as soon as you turn off to this road. There are the remains of a fully burnt Kallada MA Volvo just before the turn off. Maps link here:http://goo.gl/maps/9PavY

Had taken the Payyampalli-Dasanakkara-Punchavayal route to reach Kenichira on the onward journey but found that to have many rough patches especially for a few km after the turn off from Kattikulam.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 8th April 2015 at 11:51.
Old 10th April 2015, 02:12   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Did Kochi-Calicut-Mysore today. Good surface all the way. Road widening work started between forest exit towards Nanjangud.
Hi Coolclouds.,
Can you please help me with the route. planing a mysore - TVm. Totally new to the route north of Kochi and any help will be appreciated

Planning to start from mysore by 6:00 in the morning

Thanks
George V
Old 10th April 2015, 07:56   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvgeorge View Post
Hi Coolclouds.,
Can you please help me with the route. planing a mysore - TVm. Totally new to the route north of Kochi and any help will be appreciated

Planning to start from mysore by 6:00 in the morning

Thanks
George V
The standard route would be Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Sulthan Bathery-Kozhikode-Thrissur-Ernakulam-Alappuzha-Kollam-Trivandrum.

If you start at 6am, traffic on Kerala roads all the way till Trivandrum will be very bad. Mysore-Gundlupet-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Thrissur would have a lower traffic and shorter but the roads are winding.

If you are comfortable, try to do some portion of this route in the night to beat traffic.

Hope others can suggest a faster TN route for day drive.
Old 10th April 2015, 09:06   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
But even with the road work, I assume the Gundlepet route would be the fastest way to Bathery (Unless you just want to try something different). The Chamrajnagar route will also help bye-pass most of the roadwork. So that is also a good option.
So, I took the Kanakapura - CH nagaram route last week.
The detour from Malavalli to T Narasipura is a bit confusing. The roads passes through some villages and places where roads are non-existent.
The Safari doesn't fit in the old bridge just before T Narasipura, so had to take a detour over the new bridge (ring road) there. Otherwise, roads are good. CH Nagaram to Gundelpet stretch has got a fresh coat of tar, so that's one great stretch.
Old 10th April 2015, 12:37   #575
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
So, I took the Kanakapura - CH nagaram route last week.
The detour from Malavalli to T Narasipura is a bit confusing. The roads passes through some villages and places where roads are non-existent.
The Safari doesn't fit in the old bridge just before T Narasipura, so had to take a detour over the new bridge (ring road) there. Otherwise, roads are good. CH Nagaram to Gundelpet stretch has got a fresh coat of tar, so that's one great stretch.
Problem is that there are a number of routes between Malavalli and T.Narsipura. Many of them have bad sections. The best most advisable route is the one below.

https://goo.gl/maps/HQXfO

With this roads are good and you do not touch the narrow bridge also.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 12:00   #576
BHPian

I am planning for a Bangalore - Wayanad Trip in this week end. Planning to start at 6 PM from Bangalore. Which would be the best route to reach Mysore ?( Considering the Evening traffic), Should I stick to Regular NH 17 or should try the Malavalli route.

Since I am planning for a night drive, Mysore-Handpost-Bavalli-Manthavady is open for Night traffic? Please let know.

Or if I want to take the Kutta - Gonikoppa What is the road condition ?
Old 13th April 2015, 12:34   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post
I am planning for a Bangalore - Wayanad Trip in this week end. Planning to start at 6 PM from Bangalore. Which would be the best route to reach Mysore ?( Considering the Evening traffic), Should I stick to Regular NH 17 or should try the Malavalli route.

Since I am planning for a night drive, Mysore-Handpost-Bavalli-Manthavady is open for Night traffic? Please let know.

If you're starting in the evening The route via Bavali is not an option either. The forest section on that route also has a night traffic ban. The only viable option is Hunsur-Gonikoppa-Kutta-Mananthavady.

Wouldn't advice going via Malavalli since the Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore road (SH33) is undergoing heavy roadwork. Suggest SH17 itself. If you're in the northern part of Bangalore may be you could explore the Nelamangala-Channarayapatna-Nagamangala-Pandavpura-Mysore option (I have never been on this route, so can't vouch for how good it is - but there have been multiple discussions on this route in other threads)
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 12:35   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post

The Malavally-Bannur-Mysore road was dug up for relaying (including new bridges/culverts); and most regulars have been avoiding it for a while now. Probably they had a plan of readying it before monsoons in which case it might be nearing completion, but I wouldn't risk it at night time.

So you have only the SH17 option - unless based on your starting point you are inclined to try Nelamangala - NH48 - Srirangapatna.

The forest route of Handpost-Bavali-Mananthavady is closed between 6PM and 6AM; you are SOL here too.

Kutta-Gonikoppal has been getting some press in Kerala that it has been resurfaced and is now quite a good road; in fact it is the only option if you want to go to Wayanad in the night.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 15:27   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

Kutta-Gonikoppal has been getting some press in Kerala that it has been resurfaced and is now quite a good road; in fact it is the only option if you want to go to Wayanad in the night.
I thought the Kutta-Kaatikulam stretch is also closed from 9pm to 6am..
Can you please confirm, its not?
Old 13th April 2015, 15:46   #580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
I thought the Kutta-Kaatikulam stretch is also closed from 9pm to 6am..
The Kutta-Kattikulam stretch is actually between Nagarhole NP (KA) and Tholpetty WLS (KL) on one side, and Brahmagiri WLS (KA) and Aralam WLS (KL) on the other side. So technically, the road goes through some kind of no-man's land, and is not covered in the scope of the night travel ban.

Having said that, there is a case in the Supreme Court of India to include this stretch also in the ambit of the ban. I don't recall seeing any judgment on this matter though. As of today, the overnighters from Calicut to Bangalore and vice versa takes this route.
Old 16th April 2015, 00:05   #581
BHPian

Hi,

We are planning to go to University of Calicut. For a 5:00 am start is it better to take the Muthanga - Caliut - University route or Nilambur - Kondotty - University route?

Thanks

Vindy
Old 16th April 2015, 03:22   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
We are planning to go to University of Calicut. For a 5:00 am start is it better to take the Muthanga - Caliut - University route or Nilambur - Kondotty - University route?
Road conditions should be better via Muthanga-Bathery-Calicut bypass. From last reports the Theppekkadu-Gudalur sector remains in bad shape, and that can be a real downer for the Nilambur route (though it may be slightly shorter)
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 08:10   #583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks

Vindy
I think Chamrajnagar-Gundlupet-Muthanga-Ramanattukara-University route would be a better option. The Theppekadu-Gudalur municipality limit stretch has several pothole filled sections. Had taken this road last week. Also, traffic from Vazhikkadavu to Thenjhipalam could really tire you out. Comparatively, Wayanad has much lesser traffic.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 08:47   #584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks

Vindy
I would also recommend the calicut route. In addition to the bad sections and higher traffic density, crossing the towns especially nilambur and manjeri can cost quite a bit of time.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 09:46   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The comparison is really between Gundlupet-Ramanattukara options - which is approximately similar distance along both the routes give or take a few km. The towns are roughly comparable too - Kalpetta and Manjery have bypasses, Bathery and Nilambur don't. For every Kondotty on one route there is a Thamarassery on the other. If the Theppakkad-Gudalur stretch is bad, the Gundlupet-Moolehole stretch is being widened. Vythiri? Edavanna.

The pendulum swings in favour of the Wayanad route instead of the Malappuram one primarily because of the fact that it is national highway throughout (NH 212/NH 17). The Gudalur-Nilambur-Manjeri stretch consists of state highways.

Having said all that, if you take some of the minor roads that connect NH 213 and NH 17, you might find the Malappuram route shorter.

In short, it is a very close call to make.

Most Viewed