Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2015, 12:27   #631
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Did a Bangalore-Tirur-Calicut-Bangalore trip last week. To Tirur was via Salem-CBE-Palakkad Bypass-Kuzhalmannam-Mankara-Ottapalam-Pattambi-Trithala-Kumbidy-Kuttipuram-Tirur. Although 120km more, this route is faster than the Nanjangud-Gundlepet-Gudalur-Nilambur route due to the road work and bad roads. It is also slightly faster than going via Kanakpura-Gundlepet.

Since we get 4 lane roads all the way to Kuzhalmannam (apart from L&T to Walayar stretch and 2-3 km stretch after Palakkad), this is now my default route to Tirur.

Normally from Pattambi, I go via Koppam-Valanchery-Puthanathani-Tirur. But google maps has been insisting to take the Trithala route. So this time decided to try it out. The Pattambi-Trithala road is a little patchy, rest of it was pretty good. Kuttipuram-Tirur is excellent. Overall felt it was better option for me since it gets me home without passing through Tirur town and also I do not need to pass through Valanchery and endure the NH 17 stretch till Puthanathani (Which can be very heavy on traffic)

Overall 8.5 hrs of driving time.

Return from Calicut was via the usual Manathavady route. Pretty uneventful apart from the fact that I got a little lost on the Manathavady by pass and ended up joining the highway 1 km before Kattikulam. The last 2 km before joining the main road was very narrow and completely broken.

This is the route (Via Kuruva Dwep Road and Kurakkanmoola)link.
Old 24th June 2015, 13:38   #632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Pretty uneventful apart from the fact that I got a little lost on the Manathavady by pass and ended up joining the highway 1 km before Kattikulam. The last 2 km before joining the main road was very narrow and completely broken.

I think you missed the left just before Payyampalli. There is a wayside chappel or rather a big cross (+) at the point where you have to take the left. It is more like a fork at that point and you have to take the left of the fork.
This is the route I am talking about. https://goo.gl/2eXgbL Point B is where you missed.

If your home is towards BP angadi side, may be you can also consider taking Pattambi-Thrithala-Edappal-Chamravattom route.

Most of the roads in Malappuram district, be it interior or highways, are in excellent condition . I had traveled from Calicut international airport to Vattathani, Tirur last week through Kolappuram-Thirurangadi-Chemmad-Parappanangadi and found that the entire stretch has top class road surface.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 13:42   #633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Return from Calicut was via the usual Manathavady route. Pretty uneventful apart from the fact that I got a little lost on the Manathavady by pass and ended up joining the highway 1 km before Kattikulam. The last 2 km before joining the main road was very narrow and completely broken.

Yes - that road is quite bad for about 2-3 kms in the last stretch before you join the Mananthavady-Kattikkulam main road.

You should have taken the left fork at the first main junction after you get on to the Koyileri-Kuruva road. The landmark is a big cross (Kurishupalli) right at the junction. The road from there to the Mananthavady-Kattikkulam road is quite good though slightly narrow.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 16:09   #634
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
I think you missed the left just before Payyampalli. There is a wayside chappel or rather a big cross (+) at the point where you have to take the left. It is more like a fork at that point and you have to take the left of the fork.
This is the route I am talking about. https://goo.gl/2eXgbL Point B is where you missed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post

You should have taken the left fork at the first main junction after you get on to the Koyileri-Kuruva road. The landmark is a big cross (Kurishupalli) right at the junction. The road from there to the Mananthavady-Kattikkulam road is quite good though slightly narrow.
Right. Figured that is exactly where I made the wrong turn.

Quote:
If your home is towards BP angadi side, may be you can also consider taking Pattambi-Thrithala-Edappal-Chamravattom route.

Most of the roads in Malappuram district, be it interior or highways, are in excellent condition . I had traveled from Calicut international airport to Vattathani, Tirur last week through Kolappuram-Thirurangadi-Chemmad-Parappanangadi and found that the entire stretch has top class road surface.
My home is at Tirur itself, but on Kuttipuram Road. So going via Edappal-Chamravattom may be too much of a detour.

Agree on the road quality. Almost every road is top class and that too with proper markings and reflectors. I even commented exactly on this to my brother in law this time. Bangalore roads look downright pre-historic in comparison.

OT: Visited the newly opened Hilite Mall. Looks like all the regular brands seen here are setting up shop there. Quite an impressive mall. Expect major jams on the bye-pass once this is fully operational.
Old 2nd July 2015, 14:22   #635
Distinguished - BHPian

Did Bangalore - Gundulpet section enroute to Calicut last weekend. Onward journey at 04:45 AM from Silkboard on Sat - 27 June, reached Calicut around 11:50 AM.

Return, started from Calicut around 01:45 PM on Monday 29 June, reached Bangalore around 10:30 PM.

Bangalore - Gundulpet section details are updated here.

Gundulpet - Kalpetta - Calicut : Road section between Gundulpet and KL border is very bad. More so since it rained heavily the night before our travel. One section especially just before forest entry was filled with water. Since it was not possible to make out the road, everyone was just gunning the vehicle through the slush to avoid getting sunk.

Did the same and ended up hitting engine guard of my XUV on a stone causing the guard to come loose. Have to get it replaced during next service.

Apart from this section, road condition is good. Saw few speed breakers have come up on Kalpetta bye-pass. Ghat section is still holding good despite rains. Thanks to rains traffic was less in KL, still took around 3 hours from Batherry - Calicut.

Since return was on a working day afternoon, there was no traffic. Reached Batherry in 2 hours and 40 mins. However, past that due to traffic on Gundulpet - Mysore section progress was slow.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 14:02   #636
BHPian

I am planning to drive to Wayanad from Bangalore in a few days with a bunch of family members in the ages of 3-70. We will be staying at a homestay near the Karapuzha dam in Wayanad. I've been through this thread and the Wayanad route thread (posting here because this thread is more active) and here is what I inferred:
  • The Nanjangud Gundlupet road should be totally avoided.
  • Route 1: Take Kanakpura road and a maze of twists and turns to reach Gundlupet from where I can go over to Sultan Bathery and beyond (or go to Nanjangud and HD Kote)
  • Route 2: Mysore - SH33 - HD Kote - Bavalli - Mananthavady - Karapuzha
  • Route 3: Mysore - Hunsur - Veeranahosahalli - Kattikulam - Mananthavady - Karapuzha

I am leaning towards Route 2 because I want less of forest roads, given the wide range of ages travelling. I also prefer Mysore road for the number of breaks required and the simple route (and especially now that the speed breakers have reduced).

Which of routes 2/3 would you recommend in terms of the road quality and time taken to reach Wayanad? I would be driving an XUV 500 so minor road issues should not be so bothersome.
Old 6th July 2015, 14:21   #637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
I am planning to drive to Wayanad from Bangalore in a few days with a bunch of family members in the ages of 3-70. We will be staying at a homestay near the Karapuzha dam in Wayanad. I've been through this thread and the Wayanad route thread (posting here because this thread is more active) and here is what I inferred:
  • Route 1: Take Kanakpura road and a maze of twists and turns to reach Gundlupet from where I can go over to Sultan Bathery and beyond (or go to Nanjangud and HD Kote)
  • Route 3: Mysore - Hunsur - Veeranahosahalli - Kattikulam - Mananthavady - Karapuzha
Route 2 via Bavali is easily the best route I can recommend for you. Budget around 5-6 hours from Bangalore to Karapuzha for a relaxed drive.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 14:47   #638
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
  • The Nanjangud Gundlupet road should be totally avoided.

I am leaning towards Route 2 because I want less of forest roads, given the wide range of ages travelling. I also prefer Mysore road for the number of breaks required and the simple route (and especially now that the speed breakers have reduced).
Which of routes 2/3 would you recommend in terms of the road quality and time taken to reach Wayanad? I would be driving an XUV 500 so minor road issues should not be so bothersome.
Route 2 will be the best in terms of both road quality and time taken. Only point to note is that once you leave Mysore, there is no family friendly place to stop (Restaurant, rest rooms) till you reach at least Kattikulam (~2 hrs from Mysore). So plan for a break accordingly.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 14:52   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Route 2 via Bavali is easily the best route I can recommend for you. Budget around 5-6 hours from Bangalore to Karapuzha for a relaxed drive.
Quote:
Route 2 will be the best in terms of both road quality and time taken. Only point to note is that once you leave Mysore, there is no family friendly place to stop (Restaurant, rest rooms) till you reach at least Kattikulam (~2 hrs from Mysore). So plan for a break accordingly.
Thanks for the quick responses, gentlemen! Sounds great.

Yes, will keep that in mind, @Rajeevraj.
Old 6th July 2015, 17:34   #640
Distinguished - BHPian

Got an update that bridge over Kaveri near Mallavallai on NH 209 is open from TBHPian vrvarier.

Link
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 21:49   #641
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Got an update that bridge over Kaveri near Mallavallai on NH 209 is open from TBHPian vrvarier.

Link
Nice. That is good to hear. Although I have come to like the alternate route (mainly because it bypasses Yelandur and Kollegala and the narrow stretches in between), good to have the main route back in action.

The last time I took the alternate route, it was past 8PM when I did the Talakkad-Purigali-Malavalli stretch and it was too deserted for my liking.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 19:51   #642
Senior - BHPian

Got back earlier today after a quick dash to Calicut over the weekend (Friday out, Sunday back).

Outbound, I took Malavally-Talakadu-T. Narasipura-Nanjangud-Hampapura to connect from NH 209 to SH 33. I have wanted to take this route for a while, but didn't have a chance till now. Since till T. Narasipura the status and conditions are well-known, this update is about the subsequent sections.

We know the junction on the outskirts of T. Narasipura where the road coming from Talakkadu (which is NH212 really) merges with the road coming from Ch. Nagar. The idea is to not to turn at this junction towards Santhemarahalli, but take the left turn immediately after. Locally this road is known as Link Road (presumably because it links NH 212 and SH 84 to Nanjangud). Take a left turn at the end of this road (there is a bus stand at this junction) and take a right turn at the next junction a couple of hundred metres later to go to Nanjagud. Apart from a bridge being built just before a village called Nagarle (and a couple of other new bridges whose approach roads haven't been surfaced yet), this road is excellent. You merge with the road coming from Ch. Nagar about 2 km short of Nanjangud, cross what looked to me like a very active cattle market and a railway gate (I found out on my return trip that there is a rather narrow underpass to cross the tracks at Nanjangud so taking this gate is not strictly necessary) to emerge on NH 212 bang in the middle of Nanjangud town.

At the next four-way junction after turning south, you turn right towards Hampapura. This road is also quite good in the beginning, though slightly narrower than the previous stretch. Problems start when you reach a village called Hullahalli. First of all, going through the village itself is a bit of a pain - the through road to Hampapura is not at all obvious. Once you clear the town it is again decent going till this junction:

https://www.google.co.in/maps/@12.09...76.4785053,17z

You approach the junction soaking in the mild early morning sun, with a song at your lips, and... stop! There is no road!

Well, the roads to left and right look OK, but the one straight ahead is not a road at all - just some soil dumped in the middle of a field. You can't even be sure if the soil dumping continues beyond your field of vision.

Since turning back is not an option, you decide to go ahead. Some distance later (after the 90-degree curve to the right), the road becomes visible again. You are back on track and in a few minutes you join SH 33 and are on your way to Mananthavady.

That bad road stretch is probably about 1.5 km, though it felt a lot longer. It definitely is not the way for low-GC sedans, but my i10 took it in its stride.

On my way back, continuing on the theme of exploring connections between NH 209 and SH 33 I turned right at Handpost towards Begur. This road is great all the way - new surface till Sargur and quite decent beyond. The drive along the Nugu dam and its reservoir was particularly enjoyable (there is a picnic spot here if you want to spend some time). At Begur my intention was to turn towards Kulagana and Dodda Kavalande reaching Santhemarahalli junction from west. There were two options on Google Maps for the Begur-Kulagana stretch, and I think I took the worse one (the one that branches off the road to Terakanambi). This road was so terrible that within a couple of km from Begur, I decided to turn back. I was in two minds whether to take the second one or not, but a call from my wife asking me to report for duty by 2 PM indicated I should take something tried and tested. So proceeded along NH 212 towards Mysore (with the intention of taking BM Road), on one of the most terrible road stretches I have seen. By the time I reached Nanjangud I had enough, so again turned towards T. Narasipura and followed my outbound route.

Traffic was very heavy from Malavally all the way till Bangalore. My adventures at Begur and the additional 40-45 km I drove added an extra hour to my usual commute. I was home by 2 PM as high command demanded, though.

This time I have KML dumps of the trip in case anyone wants them.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 21:25   #643
Senior - BHPian

Binand - I want the KML files. How would you be able to send it? Or can you attach it to this thread??
Old 19th July 2015, 21:43   #644
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The drive along the Nugu dam and its reservoir was particularly enjoyable (there is a picnic spot here if you want to spend some time).
This stretch was in tatters a year or two back. And when we drove, it was being relaid. We had to scamper through this stretch to hit Nh212 where widening work was just beginning. Good to note the interior roads are done.
Old 31st July 2015, 15:16   #645
BHPian

Folks, what would be the current best route from Bangalore to Sulthan Bathery on a Saturday? Starting from B'lore around 10AM, with family.

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks