Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2015, 14:04   #691
Ice
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Did this drive last week in my City.

Onward
Left Bangalore at 10.15 AM. on Thursday 22 October.
Route : Bangalore - Kanakapura - Kollegal - Chamrajnagar (lunch@Nijaguna Residency) - Gundlupet - Bathery - Kalpetta - Calicut
Reached Calicut at 6.30 PM.
Leisurely driving with no real traffic.

Return
Left Calicut at 10.30 AM on Saturday, 24th October, on the same route. Caught in a traffic jam while going uphill towards Wayanad border, due to road construction. Was practically stationary for an hour. The traffic was made worse by jolly weekenders driving up the hill on the wrong side of the road, thereby on-coming traffic. Very stressful.
The stretch from Kollegal to Bangalore was done in twilight. Traffic, though not excessive, was very unruly. Weekend biker gangs racing each other, small cars emulating sports cars, and buses behaving like hatchbacks, all made this stretch incredibly painful. I was very surprised by the volume of traffic, considering I was returning on Saturday, the day before the long weekend ended.

A slightly irritable 5 year old in her car seat, and a spouse reduced to performing inane monologues as entertainment for the slightly irritable 5 year old, made the journey less than ideal. But my family's role in my heightened stress levels was minute, compared to the other guys on the road.

Reached Bangalore at 8.30 PM. That's 10 hours. Driving time is indeed a function of traffic, and traffic alone.

Road Condition
Mostly good, but watch out for:
1. Bad surfacing for about 4 kilometres from the NICE Road exit ramp, towards Kanakapura on the Kanakapura Road.
2. Stretch between Chamarajnagar and Gundlupet gets worse as you near Gundlupet, but is only patchy at worst.
3. Ghat section is mostly OK, but area near hairpin bends is quite worn out.
4. Kalpetta to Calicut - road surface is mostly good, but there are some horrendous ditches on turnings that can wreck your car if you aren't watchful.

Last edited by Ice : 27th October 2015 at 14:08. Reason: added "Road Conditions"
Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 10:29   #692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Weekend biker gangs racing each other, small cars emulating sports cars
Did you observe this between Kollegal and Malavalli, or Malavalli to Kanakapura stretch? The biker gangs seems to be a bit shady, if you ask me. Considering that these places are not the so called "hep or posh" localities like Bangalore, I find it a bit suspicious. Hope the district police is watching.

Quote:
A slightly irritable 5 year old in her car seat, and a spouse reduced to performing inane monologues as entertainment for the slightly irritable 5 year old, made the journey less than ideal.
I agree with you. Toddlers have a unique ability to identify an irritating situation, and act as to irritate us further . But kids are after all kids.
Old 28th October 2015, 11:46   #693
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Did you observe this between Kollegal and Malavalli, or Malavalli to Kanakapura stretch? The biker gangs seems to be a bit shady, if you ask me. Considering that these places are not the so called "hep or posh" localities like Bangalore, I find it a bit suspicious. Hope the district police is watching.
Mostly between Kollegal and Malavalli. Yes - very shady. They start racing with every car, and it's not fun. Downright dangerous, if you ask me. When I'd done this trip with the Audi Quattro Challenge, we actually pulled over and let these buzzards go by.

Quote:
I agree with you. Toddlers have a unique ability to identify an irritating situation, and act as to irritate us further . But kids are after all kids.
Oh no, I'm not complaining at all. In fact, I'm in admiration for my daughter - she sat through the 10-hour journey in her car-seat, without any major tantrums.
Old 3rd November 2015, 18:45   #694
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Drove Calicut-Bangalore today. After a long time took the standard Bathery-Gundlepet-Mysore-Bangalore Route.
  • Felt like the stretch from the Last hairpin (on the way up) to almost Kalpetta has been resurfaced. Looked smooth and freshly painted.
  • Deep small pot holes still exist between Chuldale and Kalpetta. Mostly close to Kalpetta.
  • Work has been completed in the Bandipur Exit to Gundlepet stretch, nice wide road.
  • 99% work completed in the Gundlepet-Nanjangud stretch. Although little disappointed that it was not made 4 lane, the wide road definitely helps move faster.
  • Nanjangud-Mysore is still messy. Rough surface, road work and heavy traffic. Good news is that this section is being upgraded to 4 lane. Approx 5-6 km in different stretches is in the final stages. Should be opened up in the next month or so. Some sections no sign of any work. Overall not too bad, especially if travelling during non peak hours.
  • Calicut to Nice Road junction took 6hr 55min of driving time. Was faster than my recent previous trips via Manathavady. So the Gundlepet route is back in contention.
  • Stopped at the newly opened Nijaguna at Gundlepet (couple of pictures below). Looked good from outside, but in spite of being very new, already looking a little run down inside. Food was average and the saunf served at the end of the meal had a bunch of ants running around. Rest rooms for now were clean(but Indian Style). Rest rooms pretty small, can cater to only 2-3 people at a time. Considering that this may become a popular halt for the Kerala/Ooty crowd, will be interesting to see how they handle the maintenance. Personally, will not be stopping here again. Would prefer CCD or Misty Rock.

Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries-nija1.jpg

Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries-nija2.jpg

Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries-nija3.jpg

Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 17:45   #695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Stopped at the newly opened Nijaguna at Gundlepet (couple of pictures below). Looked good from outside, but in spite of being very new, already looking a little run down inside. Food was average and the saunf served at the end of the meal had a bunch of ants running around. Rest rooms for now were clean(but Indian Style). Rest rooms pretty small, can cater to only 2-3 people at a time. Considering that this may become a popular halt for the Kerala/Ooty crowd, will be interesting to see how they handle the maintenance. Personally, will not be stopping here again. Would prefer CCD or Misty Rock.
Where exactly is this new Nijaguna? When coming from Mysore side, is it just after the Gundlupet circle (take right here to go towards Sulthan Bathery, straight ahead takes you to Bandipur, Mudumalai etc.)? Because on the Bandipur road, there used to be a Bar & Restaurant on the right side of the road. The buildings looked familiar to the photos you posted. The Bar and Restaurant was not really great, food was just about pathetic, but looked like a place for locals to meet up.
Old 5th November 2015, 17:55   #696
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Where exactly is this new Nijaguna? When coming from Mysore side, is it just after the Gundlupet circle (take right here to go towards Sulthan Bathery, straight ahead takes you to Bandipur, Mudumalai etc.)? Because on the Bandipur road, there used to be a Bar & Restaurant on the right side of the road. The buildings looked familiar to the photos you posted. The Bar and Restaurant was not really great, food was just about pathetic, but looked like a place for locals to meet up.
No, this is right opposite the coffee day couple of km before gundlepet when coming from Mysore. On the right side from Mysore side. It seemed to be a completely new set up. I think it was just empty land before.
Old 5th November 2015, 21:02   #697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post

Nothing new to mention about road conditions. There is a dip between chamanarajnagar & Santhamarahalli which will bottom out the suspension if taken at normal speeds.
Be aware of this one. A college of mine hit this one around 80kmph last weekend on his way to Calicut and
his front left tyre (almost new Michelin) burst into pieces. Luckily he was able to control his car to a safe stop.
arjithin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2015, 12:39   #698
Senior - BHPian

Had spent Diwali with family at a resort near Antharasanthe on Mysore-Mananthavady road (the resort is on the shore of Kabini reservoir). On the way back, took a route via the two dams - Beechanahalli and Nugu - since the kids haven't seen a dam yet in their lives. If anyone is interested, this route is:

Come towards Handpost from Antharasanthe - take the right branch of the Y junction a few km before Handpost - keep going straight till Beechanahalli dam (you cross downstream on a bridge with a great view of the dam's shutters) - a little bit further you arrive at a circle with a flagpost - turn left - few kms to reach the Handpost-Begur road - turn right - few more kms to cross downstream of Nugu on a similar bridge. Wasn't particularly noticing distances, but I think from SH 33 to Beechanahalli dam is about 18 km and from the dam to SH 86 (Handpost-Begur) is about 12 km.

Here's a view of Beechanahalli (mobile camera, moving car):

Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries-img_20151112_111842868.jpg

And of Nugu (DSLR, stationary):

Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries-dsc_0125.jpg

From Begur I took NH 212 to Mysore and BM Road to Bangalore. The former is widened nearly 100% till Nanjangud (untouched within Nanjangud town and I believe some legal troubles are brewing for NHAI here) and maybe 20% between Nanjangud-Mysore. BM Road on Thursday 1-4 PM was quite OK to drive.

Last edited by binand : 14th November 2015 at 12:49.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2015, 09:50   #699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
(untouched within Nanjangud town and I believe some legal troubles are brewing for NHAI here)
It is the usual problem. The shop keepers etc. on both sides of the road are unwilling to accept the compensation and allow the shops to be demolished.
Old 16th December 2015, 16:18   #700
Senior - BHPian

Hmm..big silence of 1 month in this thread !!!.

I am heading to CLT on 23rd post lunch.

Thinking of taking Kanakapura road to Gundlupet and then normal Kalpetta road to Kozhikode. Any recent updates on the road conditions?? It's been 2+ months since I drove that route !!
Old 17th December 2015, 00:31   #701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm..big silence of 1 month in this thread !!!.

Thinking of taking Kanakapura road to Gundlupet and then normal Kalpetta road to Kozhikode. Any recent updates on the road conditions?? It's been 2+ months since I drove that route !!
The Kanakapura-Malavalli sector - specifically about 10 kms just before Halaguru has become quite patchy with the odd unexpected pothole here and there - so better keep speeds within limits in that stretch to avoid surprises. The rest of the roads are more or less in the same condition as it was 3-4 months back.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 07:06   #702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thinking of taking Kanakapura road to Gundlupet and then normal Kalpetta road
I'm starting on the wee hours of 24/12; but plan to take BM Road and Mananthavady - Kalpetta. BM Road is manageable if one starts at 3 AM or so. Please post an update on Gundlupet - S. Bathery so that I can reconsider. :-)
Old 17th December 2015, 09:29   #703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm starting on the wee hours of 24/12; but plan to take BM Road and Mananthavady - Kalpetta. BM Road is manageable if one starts at 3 AM or so. Please post an update on Gundlupet - S. Bathery so that I can reconsider. :-)
Me too waiting for a latest update on Gundlupet-Kozhikode stretch. Will be driving to Tirur on 25th early Morning and planning to take the Mysore-Wayanad- Bypass route instead of the shorter Bandipur-Gudalur-Nilambur route.
Old 17th December 2015, 09:36   #704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Me too waiting for a latest update on Gundlupet-Kozhikode stretch. Will be driving to Tirur on 25th early Morning and planning to take the Mysore-Wayanad- Bypass route instead of the shorter Bandipur-Gudalur-Nilambur route.
Will post an update after I reach CLT..mostly post 10 PM.
Old 17th December 2015, 18:52   #705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
I did the Gundlupet-Bathery-Kalpetta stretch last Saturday and Kalpetta-Calicut on Sunday morning. No issues with the Gundlupet-Kalpetta sector - continues to be in very good condition. Kalpetta-Lakkidi still has the odd pothole here and there, but generally OK. The ghat section is rough at 3 or 4 hairpin bends, but nothing too serious. From Adivaram till Malapparambu is quite decent as well. (I didn't go into Kozhikode city, but took the bypass. The city roads were quite pathetic when I visited last month, I don't expect it to have improved much even now since there weren't any signs of any work in progress either).
kala is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks