Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2015, 16:14   #616
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
This is on the left side, just after exiting Kanakpura when coming towards Bangalore (just after the bridge after main Kanakpura town). Looked like a coffee day kind of joint. I have not noticed it before. So I guess it must be new.
Was it named "The Kitchen" by any chance? . Then perhaps I know the owner.
Old 7th May 2015, 16:23   #617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Kitchen is further down towards Bangalore I guess. I had visited Kitchen once for breakfast and found the place descent.

PIC - Kitchen
Old 7th May 2015, 16:29   #618
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Kitchen is further down towards Bangalore I guess. I had visited Kitchen once for breakfast and found the place descent.

PIC - Kitchen
No, definitely not this one. This was a more modern structure. Let me check if my dashcam has captured it.
Old 11th May 2015, 13:19   #619
BHPian

Folks,

Thanks for all the recent updates. Planning to do a trip to Kozhikode this Friday, it's going to be Kozhikode - Bengaluru on Friday - planning if we can squezze in Nagarhole into it. Heard Nagarhole, last safari is at 8am, would leaving Bengaluru at 4a help?

As usual, suggestions on the best route to take and be back (planning to leave Kozhikode on Monday).
Old 11th May 2015, 13:27   #620
Distinguished - BHPian

Unfortunate happening last Saturday when my in-laws were driving down to Bangalore from Calicut. They had taken the Manathavady-Handpost-Mysore route. Just at the end of the new forest bypass road, the car hit a couple of goats. How this happened is still a mystery to both my co-brother who was driving and my sister in law who was in the front passenger seat. They said, to them it felt that the goats were pushed in front of the car. There were a couple of foreigners riding bullets in front and it could have been the goats got spooked and suddenly jumped to the middle of the road.

In any case, unfortunately, one goat died and another was injured in the leg. In no time there was a big crowd of people (a little surprising as it is fairly desolate area) and discussions on compensation. Demanded 12-15000 for the 2 goats and finally settled at 8000. (Had no idea one would need to shell out so much money).

Car bumper was damaged and needs to be replaced.

There is a small doubt that it could have been done purposely also, but no way to substantiate that. Overall a very unfortunate experience in every way. So would recommend to be doubly careful driving these stretches
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 14:21   #621
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is a small doubt that it could have been done purposely also, but no way to substantiate that. Overall a very unfortunate experience in every way. So would recommend to be doubly careful driving these stretches
Sorry to hear about the ordeal.
I have heard from friends about such incidents at other places as well. One of them mentioned there were some people beside the road camouflaged in the greenery who threw a dead chicken in front of the car but luckily my friend suspected something was amiss and just did not slow down. If one stops, they would claim that the chicken was killed by their car and demand money. In fact few years ago such incidents were common in Bangalore at places like Thilak Nagar (near Jayanagar)

Last edited by NPV : 11th May 2015 at 14:30.
Old 11th May 2015, 23:19   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonblr View Post
Folks,

Thanks for all the recent updates. Planning to do a trip to Kozhikode this Friday, it's going to be Kozhikode - Bengaluru on Friday - planning if we can squezze in Nagarhole into it. Heard Nagarhole, last safari is at 8am, would leaving Bengaluru at 4a help?

As usual, suggestions on the best route to take and be back (planning to leave Kozhikode on Monday).

Guys, any help on the above? Need to plan hence asking again.
Old 11th May 2015, 23:32   #623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, any help on the above? Need to plan hence asking again.
Not sure about the safari details, but I assume you will need to take the Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Nargarhole-Tholpetty-Manathavady-Kalpetta-Calicut route if you want to catch the safari at Nagerhole.

If 8 am is the last safari, with a 4am start I assume you should just about make it. Probably 3.30am is a better bet.

If straight to Calicut, the route with the most decent roads is the Bangalore-Mysore-Handpost-Bavalli-Kattikulam-Manthavady-Calicut route. But no places to break between Mysore and Manthavady.

Since you are returning on a Monday, Mysore route should be good. The route to avoid Mysore is Gundlepet-Chamrajnagar-T narsipura-Talakad-Malavalli-Kanakpura-Bangalore. But for this you need to return via Bathery.
Old 11th May 2015, 23:48   #624
BHPian

Thanks a ton Rajeev - this surely helps to plan.

3.30 is going to way to early, I am now thinking maybe do the Nagarhole piece while returning as there is a safari at 4pm. if the plan is to do Nagarhole while returning, the route
Quote:
Bangalore-Mysore-Handpost-Bavalli-Kattikulam-Manthavady-Calicut
seems nice expect for no eateries on the way :-( Thanks for letting me know that. What is that "Handpost" is it a place or something else? I can't get that on google maps - sorry if I am dumb.

I didn't quite understand what you meant by you need to return via Sulthan Bathery?
Quote:
The route to avoid Mysore is Gundlepet-Chamrajnagar-T narsipura-Talakad-Malavalli-Kanakpura-Bangalore. But for this you need to return via Bathery.
Old 12th May 2015, 06:57   #625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is that "Handpost" is it a place or something else? I can't get that on google maps - sorry if I am dumb.
This Handpost is a four-way junction about 40 km out of Mysore on the road towards Mananthavady (KA SH 33). When coming from Mysore, the straight road goes to Mananthavady, turn right for HD Kote and Hunsur, and left for Begur.

In general, there are several places called Handpost arranged in a circular fashion around Mysore; so I suspect these are the locations of some sort of military advanced warning system evolved by the rulers of that princely state. The one we are discussing is the most well-known, but I know of at least 4-5 others.

Quote:
I didn't quite understand what you meant by you need to return via Sulthan Bathery?
He meant, to take the Mysore avoidance route via Chamarajanagar - which is recommended as the Mysore-Bangalore road can be a complete PITA; T-BHP has a thread dedicated to it - you need to come via Sulthan Bathery - as the route via Mananthavady does not (easily) connect to that route.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 11:32   #626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton Rajeev - this surely helps to plan.

3.30 is going to way to early, I am now thinking maybe do the Nagarhole piece while returning as there is a safari at 4pm. if the plan is to do Nagarhole while returning
There are 2 routes through Nagarhole to Mysore/Bangalore
  • Manathavady-Kattikulam-Bavalli-Handpost-Mysore
  • Manathavady-Kattikulam-Tholpetty-Hunsur-Mysore

Other experts can comment, If I am not wrong, the 2nd route is the one that passes through the main Nagerhole Santuary and I assume safari etc.. will be available only on this route.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 17:26   #627
Senior - BHPian

Updates on the Malavalli-Talakad-Chamarajnagar route towards Wayanad/Calicut :

The good news first :

The entrance to the Malavalli-Marenahalli lake-Purigaali road which Rajeevraj had reported as closed a couple of weeks ago is now open once again. The first half a km of the road is still un-tarred, but gravel track is firm and reasonably smooth with no potholes.

And the bad news :

1) NH212 between T.Narsipur and the turn-off towards Kollegal just after Mugur is now undergoing widening work. 3 or 4 diversions of about 0.5 to 1 kms in length. Road condition in the diversions pretty bad, very slushy with lots of potholes - thanks to the recent rains.

2) Work has restarted on the Gundlupet to Forest entrance stretch also - so about 3-4 kms is bad there as well. Again, the recent rains has made the situation worse.

So for people going to Wayanad / Calicut the route via HD Kote-Bavali will be a much better option till the roadworks are all completed.
kala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 19:08   #628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post

1) NH212 between T.Narsipur and the turn-off towards Kollegal just after Mugur is now undergoing widening work. 3 or 4 diversions of about 0.5 to 1 kms in length. Road condition in the diversions pretty bad, very slushy with lots of potholes - thanks to the recent rains.
During my trip couple of weeks back,there weresigns of work starting, but just one ~50 meter deviation. Looks like they are really proceeding super fast. Hope it continues till finish and does not slow down when the road is at its worst condition due to the work.
Old 26th May 2015, 11:31   #629
Senior - BHPian

Came back from Kannur yday. Almost all the humps between srirangapatnam and mandya are now removed, but replaced by traffic barricades. Some places the removal of hump kept a dip, other places its fine.
Old 26th May 2015, 23:45   #630
Distinguished - BHPian

Did a trip to K Gudi last weekend, had taken NH 209 to check the road condition and to see the bridge status. Came to know deadline for the bridge work is 28th June, hope it gets done around the same time.

Also, took the right towards Talakkad via Belakavadi just before the bridge. Road condition is good and can be considered as an option to bye-pass bridge section.

However, do note that NH 212 widening work is ongoing around T Narasipura also.

Also, Chamarajnagar - Gundulpet section is patched at most of the places apart from the entry to Gundulpet town which remains rough. There is some work going and hope it is done soon.

NH 212 from Gundulpet - Mysore is a mess due to numerous deviations. Unfortunately, road is not upgraded to 4 lane. It looks like an slightly wide 2 lane road based on the completed section.

Pics of bridge work

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks