Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2015, 14:54   #556
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Hotel Siddharth in Mysore would be a decent place for breakfast - they should be open by 7:30 or so - but you'd have to go via the city to get there - can't take the Ring road option.

Not sure why you wanted options in Bathery. In case you're taking the handpost route, you wouldn't need to touch Bathery at all.
Thanks Kala. I typically go through the city and do not take the ring road. So this should work.

The Bathery question was in case I decide to return via the usual NH212 route.
Old 9th March 2015, 11:20   #557
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Hotel Brahmagiri. Details here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3564452

If you can sustain till you join NH 212 then there are hotels galore, of course.

Quote:
There is a hotel/restaurant in Kattikkulam on the right hand side of the road (sorry - don't recall the name) which looked pretty decent. Never used the rest rooms there, but from the overall looks of the place there's good chance that it has clean toilets as well.

Mananthavadi town would probably have a few good hotels, but if you're headed towards Kalpetta or Kuttyadi side they would all be off your route. (I recall seeing a good looking hotel on the Kannur route)
Returned after a weekend trip to Calicut. Took the Mysore-Handpost-Bavalli-Manthavady route both ways. Lovely route. Binand's detailed post on the route, with photos was very helpful. Especially that Y fork after Handpost and the details about bye-pass road before the forest.

Started from home at 5.20 am, since Friday was Holi and a holiday for most schools and several companies, was worried about Mysore Road traffic. But thankfully we were early enough and had a smooth ride till Mysore. Initial plan was to head into the City and stop at Hotel Siddharth as recommended by Kala, but as we approached Mysore (~8 am), saw the signs for 'Atrium Boutique Hotel' located a few 100 meters before the Columbia Asia Signal. Hence decided to try it out. Decent food and very good rest rooms. Started from there at around 9 am and went through the city and on to SH-33. Initial plan was to stop at Manathavadi, but reached there faster than I expected (~11.15 am) and hence decided to push on to Kalpetta, took the bye-pass Road at Manthavady, slightly rough surface, but pretty good road. Planned to break at one of the places close to the ghats, but had just overtaken a string of lorries after a long struggle and did not want to repeat that again. So finally stopped at 'White House' few km after Adivaram (~12.30PM). Decent place. Since it was a Friday and the noon prayer time, the roads were quite deserted and was able to make good progress and reached Calicut around 1.45PM.

Return was the same route. Left at 6.15am. Reached Hotel Brahmagiri ~8.30am with a 10 min motion sickness break. The food was decent and rest rooms clean, but we were the only people at the restaurant. The next building was a bar and were a bunch of people hanging around outside (Hope they were not waiting for it to open at 9 am in the morning) and staring at us as we were leaving. No worries, but the ladies found it uncomfortable.

Noticed the Hotel Holiday Inn mentioned by Kala at Kattikulam. Looks a decent place, maybe will try that also next time.

Used the Mysore Ring Road after a long time and felt it was more time consuming than going through the City. Traffic on Mysore Road was not very heavy, but not too less either. So was not a very comfortable drive. Reached home by 3.30pm after another hours break at the A2B complex.

Overall the SH-33 route to Calicut will definitely be at least 30 min faster compared to the Mysore-Gundlepet route till the road works are complete. Only major concern is that taking this route (especially on the return) means that you don't have the option of taking the Kanakpura Route (At least till Mysore-Bannur-Malavalli is fixed). This will be a deal breaker when returning on a weekend evening. Even at 12-3PM on a Sunday it was not very comfortable.

Another interesting point to note was that the forest section seemed quite heavily inhabited as compared to the Bandipur route. I later realized that this is probably because this route goes along the edge of the forest.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 12:00   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Only major concern is that taking this route (especially on the return) means that you don't have the option of taking the Kanakpura Route (At least till Mysore-Bannur-Malavalli is fixed).
I have been meaning to check out Malavalli-Talakkadu-T. Narasipura-Nanjangud-Hampapura-Handpost route for a while now; just haven't been able to yet. My query and kala's answer here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3642845

This, if doable, lets you have the best of both worlds - NH 209 and Mananthavady. My next trip could be in April, when I'll try to check this out.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 14:22   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been meaning to check out Malavalli-Talakkadu-T. Narasipura-Nanjangud-Hampapura-Handpost route for a while now; just haven't been able to yet. My query and kala's answer here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3642845

This, if doable, lets you have the best of both worlds - NH 209 and Mananthavady. My next trip could be in April, when I'll try to check this out.
Was planning to take this route on my return trip from Wayanad yesterday, but due to a last minute decision of my wife to buy some "Unniyappams" from the famous (Late)Kuttettan's shop on the Thirunelli route ended up travelling towards Tholpetty and took the Nagarahole-Hunsur-Mysore-SH17 route eventually.

The roads on this route right from the acute right turn at Kutta till you get to the HDKote-Hunsur State Highway are rather flaky with smooth surfaces for only about 10-15% of the way. Nothing that can't be handled by a sedan since you'd anyway be travelling only at around 40kms or less since this is a dense forest stretch, but rough and uncomfortable nevertheless.

Also tried two alternatives to Mananthavady bypass which were discussed in the other thread (All Roads to Kerala) during this trip.

The road via Kuruva Island which takes off to the left about 200 meters before Kattikkulam and reaches Koyileri via Payyampalli is good all through, but does not save you any time or distance, it is almost exactly the same distance as the Mananthavady bypass and takes around the same time as well.

On the way back took the alternate road from Payyampalli that reaches Kattikkulam just before the town (on the Mananthavady side). This is about 5kms shorter, but has broken roads for about 2 to 3 kms, so not really worth the trouble.

There's yet another road that turns off towards Payyampally from the Kattikkulam-Mananthavady road which is also about 4-5 kms shorter than Mananthavady bypass. That also had some bad stretches earlier - will check out its current state the next time I'm on that route.
kala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 09:37   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The road via Kuruva Island which takes off to the left about 200 meters before Kattikkulam and reaches Koyileri via Payyampalli is good all through, but does not save you any time or distance, it is almost exactly the same distance as the Mananthavady bypass and takes around the same time as well.
I also took this route while going to Kenichira on Friday. Good roads but little narrow.
Quote:

On the way back took the alternate road from Payyampalli that reaches Kattikkulam just before the town (on the Mananthavady side). This is about 5kms shorter, but has broken roads for about 2 to 3 kms, so not really worth the trouble.

There's yet another road that turns off towards Payyampally from the Kattikkulam-Mananthavady road which is also about 4-5 kms shorter than Mananthavady bypass. That also had some bad stretches earlier - will check out its current state the next time I'm on that route.
Took one of these routes while returning to avoid Panamaram but do not know which one. Does not save any time though shorter as road is narrow and broken. Entered Kattikulam town.
Old 22nd March 2015, 22:10   #561
Senior - BHPian

Some updates on the Calicut route based on my trip this weekend.

Mananthavady bypass : Took an alternate route to get to Koyileri from Kattikkulam (different from the regular Mananthavady bypass and the road via Kuruva island which were discussed here earlier). This is a left turn about 4 kms from Kattikkulam town at a place called "54th mile". Very decent roads even though slightly narrow, saves about 4-5 kms when compared to the Mananthavadi bypass. Probably the fastest option if you are coming via Kattikkulam and your destination is Kalpetta.

If coming from Kalpetta. turn right at Koyileri toward Kuruva Island and after about 3 kms you come to a fork with a big Cross placed right at the junction (Kurishupalli). The natural curve on the road takes you to the right fork which leads to Payyampally / Kuruva. Take the left fork instead and continue straight on that road to meet the Mananthavady-Kattikkulam road at 54th Mile.

On my return journey came via the old NH212/NH209 route (Sulthan bathery-Gundlupet-Chamarajnagar). The 9 kms stretch that was bad between the forest gate and Gundlupet shows some improvement - One half of the road has tarmac now for about 6 kms - so the non-tarred section has reduced to about 3 kms - so pretty much drivable.

The Malavalli-Kanakapura section has become much better now with fresh tarmac for about 15-20 kms starting from a little after Halagur to about 10 kms before Kanakapura (This section had lots of patchwork earlier, but has been fully resurfaced now).

The bad patches on the Kalpetta-Lakkidi section has also been fully fixed now - and the rough patches on the ghat section too patched up. So NH212 inside Kerala is now pretty smooth all through (At least till Adivaram - I didn't go all the way to Calicut this time)
kala is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 10:25   #562
Distinguished - BHPian

Article in Manorama today talking about the night ban and saying the alternate route road work is finally done and will bring in relief to travelers. The route being talked about is the Hunsur-Gonikoppa-Kutta-Manathavady one. The exact conditions of the Gonikoppa-Kutta stretch have not been clear since in general no one here uses that route. Based on this report it looks like the work is now complete. Not sure if it was complete earlier and Manorama decided to put an article now or whether it actually completed now.

In any case, looks like this route should be now good for night drives to Calicut (At least from a road quality perspective)

Note: Could not find an online link to the article
Old 26th March 2015, 11:19   #563
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I've been planning to take the Mysore -Manathavady route for quite some time now.
How is the road condition between Kattikulam and Pulpally (via Payyampally, Pakkom)? I reckon, that will be the shortest route to Bathery?
If not, please suggest an alternate route to Bathery.
Old 26th March 2015, 16:07   #564
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
How is the road condition between Kattikulam and Pulpally (via Payyampally, Pakkom)? I reckon, that will be the shortest route to Bathery?
Please do look at the All Roads to Kerala thread, I think the Kattikulam route is discussed in detail.
Other routes to Bathery are:
1. Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Bathery
Bangalore-Mysore can be a pain if not timed well. Plus there is road widening work on Nanjangud-Gundlupet stretch.

2. Take Kanakapura-Malavalli-T Narasipura-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet-Bathery.
Should be lot better than #1, the detour via T Narasipura is due to the closure of the bridge over River Cauvery near Shivanasamudra.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 22:03   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
I've been planning to take the Mysore -Manathavady route for quite some time now.
Recall BHPian pramodpk mentioning a couple of weeks ago that he tried a route to Kattikkulam (from Kenichira I think) that avoided touching Panamaram, and mentioned that the roads weren't all that great. I suspect that route might be a part of the one you're referring to - i.e the one via the Koodalkkadavu bridge to Pulpally and Batheri.

There are 2 or 3 of alternate routes to get to Batheri from Kattikkulam other than the one you mentioned - one via Panamaram-Nadavayal-Kenichira-Beenachi, another via Panamaram-Pachilakkad-Varadoor-Meenangadi-NH212 and a third one via Panamaram-Kainatty-NH212.

I have never been on the route via Pulpally, so cannot comment, but the other two (the one via Nadavayal and the other via Varadoor) weren't in that great a condition the last time I travelled (which was probably a year or so back). The last one via Kainatty is in excellent shape, but is probably about 8-10 kms longer. My personal preference would be for that option since eventually the time taken may be more or less the same and it would certainly be easier on your vehicle.

Lot of recent reports available on the Mananthavady-Bavali-Kattikkulam route, so no need to comment on that I guess..

P.S. Based on my experience last weekend, going via NH209-T.Narsipur-Gundlupet-Bathery is very much a viable option now, and that would definitely be the fastest if your destination is Sulthan Bathery.

Last edited by kala : 26th March 2015 at 22:06.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 22:18   #566
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
I had done the Pulpally-Bathery stretch around a year back. Road was very good, but quite twisty (more than the regular Wayanad roads). But was a good drive.

But even with the road work, I assume the Gundlepet route would be the fastest way to Bathery (Unless you just want to try something different). The Chamrajnagar route will also help bye-pass most of the roadwork. So that is also a good option.
Old 29th March 2015, 12:56   #567
Senior - BHPian

What would be a good route to take if one were driving to Calicut from KIAL? This trip might have a start time during peak morning hours in Bangalore on a weekday (start from KIAL around 7 AM).

- Bite the bullet and take Hebbal-ORR-Hosur Road-NICE Ring Road?
- Devanahalli-Dodballapur-Nelamangala-NH 48 and connect to BM Road somewhere?
- Devanahalli-Nelamangala-NICE Ring Road?
- Any other?
Old 30th March 2015, 19:14   #568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What would be a good route to take if one were driving to Calicut from KIAL? This trip might have a start time during peak morning hours in Bangalore on a weekday (start from KIAL around 7 AM).

- Bite the bullet and take Hebbal-ORR-Hosur Road-NICE Ring Road?
- Devanahalli-Dodballapur-Nelamangala-NH 48 and connect to BM Road somewhere?
- Devanahalli-Nelamangala-NICE Ring Road?
- Any other?
Since it is a 7 am start, how about going straight through the city and hitting Mysore road? You should be through the city and on Mysore road by 8am
Old 1st April 2015, 17:18   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Since it is a 7 am start, how about going straight through the city and hitting Mysore road? You should be through the city and on Mysore road by 8am
Convinced the wife to take a cab to the airport. So I'll start from Marathahalli at around 6. Thanks for the advice though. Planning to check out the T. Narasipura-Nanjangud-Handpost route.
Old 1st April 2015, 20:45   #570
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Convinced the wife to take a cab to the airport. So I'll start from Marathahalli at around 6. Thanks for the advice though. Planning to check out the T. Narasipura-Nanjangud-Handpost route.
Looking forward to that update.

In other news, Nanjangud-Gundlepet has worsened further due to road work. Update from my brother in law who traveled last weekend. Already unrecognizable as the old tree lined highway that it was as recent as 6 months back. He is not a person very particular about road conditions, but he himself decided to take the Chamrajnagar-Kanakpura route on the return journey from Bandipur.

Hope the work completes fast.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks