Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 11:52   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
About 600 to 700 meters after this right turn, you see Chamarajanagar KSRTC bus stand on your left and a restaurant named Mayura Rajdhani (I think) in front of it (also on your left).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
And just wanted to confirm whether beyond Kollegal hotels, say Annapurna and Nandini near the bus stand, there wont be any place worth for even a snacks-break and perhaps the toilet facility for some elder lady in the group upto Gundlupet?

Also, just curious to know if you know the condition of the route Malavalli->T.Narsipura->Nanjangud for another group who wants to visit the 2 temple towns mentioned here?
New Hotel called Nijaguna Residency has opened in heart of Chamarajanagar. Good food and excellent ambience. Good place to break for break fast if you leave Bangalore around 6 AM and drive on NH 209 and good place to have lunch if you leave Bangalore around 10 AM.

Hotels in Chamarajanagar, Hotels near Bandipur, Hotels near K Gudi, Hotel in Chamrajanagar, Resorts in Chamarajanagar, Resorts near Bandipur

For latest on road condition on NH 209, take a look at mys post here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2726027
Fauji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 13:12   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
New Hotel called Nijaguna Residency has opened in heart of Chamarajanagar. Good food and excellent ambience. Good place to break for break fast if you leave Bangalore around 6 AM and drive on NH 209 and good place to have lunch if you leave Bangalore around 10 AM.

Hotels in Chamarajanagar, Hotels near Bandipur, Hotels near K Gudi, Hotel in Chamrajanagar, Resorts in Chamarajanagar, Resorts near Bandipur

For latest on road condition on NH 209, take a look at mys post here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2726027
Thanks Fauji. Had been seeing advertisement hoardings of this hotel all over the place on NH 209 for the past 6 months or so, but was rather lazy to look up where it was in Chamarajnagar. Just checked out the location on the website, guess I never noticed it because the turn to the hotel from NH209 comes up after the turn off to Gundlupet.

Will check it out on my next trip. Looks like a nice place from the photographs on the website.
Old 27th March 2012, 20:36   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Gundlupet-Sulthan Batheri : Good roads till Muthanga except for some small patches near the beginning of the forest. Muthanga to Batheri a little bit rough, but decent.

Bathery-Kalpetta : Average to below average. No major potholes, but the road surace is very rough almost all through. Wonder why they seem to be ignoring this stretch of NH212 all the time. (The surface of the rest of NH212 -Kalpetta to Calicut- is in excellent shape now, I was told).
Myself did a quick round-trip to Calicut and back just now.

Agree to the above comment regarding "Gundlupet-Sulthan Batheri" stretch.

Beyond Bathery, it is again a decent stretch till Meenangady. But Meenangady->Kalpetta->Chundale(Y-fork to Ooty & Mysore coming from Calicut side) stretch is very rough almost all through because of some pipeline work happening now. Beyond Chundale, upto Calicut, it is in the best of conditions. Took just 15 minutes down-hill and 30 minutes uphill in the ghat section as the full 12-km stretch, including all the hair-pin bends, are in super-excellent condition now. Overall, took 8 hours in either directions which includes a 30-minute break for tea & kids-care and 1-hour breakfast at Jubilee@Bathery (onwards) and 1-hour dinner at KamatMadhuvan@Mysore (return).

Am not too sure, but somehow feel that NICE Road is a very rough stretch, as compared to both Mysore Road and Hosur Road stretches(that comes immediately before and after NICE).

@kala:Thanks for all your replies but incidentally, myself did not try NH-209 stretch this time since we needed to touch Mysore either ways !
Old 27th March 2012, 20:45   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
The above road does indeed goes to B.R Hills. For MM Hills you need to take a left turn much before (when coming from Malavalli).
I was talking about the junction where NH-209 takes a right turn just after Kollegal town. I guess B.R. Hills diversion is much beyond towards Yellandur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
I saw some road repair/widening around 5-6 months few kms after T.Narasipur. I still recommend this route, as the alternative, via Mysore is almost double the distance and you'd have to cross the Kapila bridge (at T.Narasipur) which is getting jammed frequently these days.

Also, from Malavalli, do not go towards Bannur, instead follow the road to Talakad. At Talakad handpost you have two options - one to come via Sosale (and cross the twin bridges at T.Narasipur), and the second is to actually come via Talakad itself. The second option ensures that there are smooth roads throughout and the temple at T.Narasipur comes to your RHS as you enter T.Narasipur town (and skip crossing the bridges).

Prasad
I was enquiring about touching both Nanjangud and T.Narasipur temples in one trip. While going to Talakkad via Malavalli, I have seen lots of buses to T.Narasipur but not sure which one most/all of them take. So, let me know which is the best route to cover both Nanjangud and T.Narasipur temples in one trip from Bangalore. If we can cover both before afternoon, plan to head to Mysore for a quick visit to zoo(for kids) and Chamundi Hills(for elders) too. So, please suggest accordingly.
Old 28th March 2012, 09:54   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was talking about the junction where NH-209 takes a right turn just after Kollegal town. I guess B.R. Hills diversion is much beyond towards Yellandur.
Actually the straight road at that junction goes almost parallel to NH209 along the eastern bank of that river which you cross via that narrow bridge in a North-South direction (Not sure of which river it is) and eventually joins the Yelandur B.R.Hills State highway about 3-4 kms east of Yelandur. You can see it clearly on Google maps (The road starting at Mudigundam and going upto Honganuru on SH57 through Mamballi and Kunagalli, The Green line in the link Kollegal to B.R.Hills / MM Hills - Google Maps ).

The MM Hills road on the other hand goes directly eastward from Kollegal (SH79 which starts very close to the point where NH209 enters Kollegal town). Yes - NH209 does take a right turn at that point also, but that junction is at right at the beginning of Kollegal town (The Red line on that GM link above), not 1.5 kms after Kollegal
Old 28th March 2012, 10:31   #126
BHPian

Quote:

I was enquiring about touching both Nanjangud and T.Narasipur temples in one trip. While going to Talakkad via Malavalli, I have seen lots of buses to T.Narasipur but not sure which one most/all of them take. So, let me know which is the best route to cover both Nanjangud and T.Narasipur temples in one trip from Bangalore. If we can cover both before afternoon, plan to head to Mysore for a quick visit to zoo(for kids) and Chamundi Hills(for elders) too. So, please suggest accordingly.
I strongly recommend going via Talakad. At Malavalli, you need to continue towards Kollegal and after 1-2 kms, you need to take a right turn to Talakad (there are Panchalingadarshana markings, but not very very evident, so please keep asking till you take this right turn). This is a narrow winding country side road taken by most going to Talakad.

Once you enter Talakad, you need to take a right turn to T.Narasipur (need not have to go deep inside Talakad). In about 15kms you'd get T.Narasipur. The Gunjanarasimha swamy temple would be to your right as you enter T.Narasipur. If you want to visit Agastyeshwara temple and/or Sheshachandrika Mutt in Tirumakoodalu on the opposite bank of this temple, you can either take that bowl shaped boar (harigolu as it is called) or drive about 3-4kms crossing Kapila bridge.

It should not take more than 3hrs to T.Narasipura from Kanakapura-NICE Road junction. Add one hour journey to Nanjangud and another 30-40mins to Mysore, your plan of goign to Zoo and Chamundi Hills is very feasible. If you are going on a Sunday, watch the Mysore Palace illumination from Chamundi Hills after 7PM.

Prasad
Old 10th April 2012, 19:53   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Onward journey on Saturday morning :

Bangalore-Malavalli : Road continues to be good. Wanted to have breakfast at Hotel Gokul at Kanakapura, but it wasn't open at 7:15 AM when we passed by.
Travelled on NH209 once again last weekend. Passed Kanakapura at around 7:45 AM, but Gokul restaurant wasn't open even then. So ruling out that one as a breakfast option for now. May be they're open only for lunch / dinner ?? Or are they closed on Saturdays ??
Old 10th April 2012, 20:17   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Travelled on NH209 once again last weekend. Passed Kanakapura at around 7:45 AM, but Gokul restaurant wasn't open even then. So ruling out that one as a breakfast option for now. May be they're open only for lunch / dinner ?? Or are they closed on Saturdays ??
Been travelling on Mysore road mostly for early morning drives towards Calicut and so our timings would be similar (variance of max 15 mins) on either routes. For breakfast, our strategy is simple - try to reach Bathery before 9 AM for timely breakfast with an early start. By virtue of an early start, kids will sleep till Gundlupet where I stop briefly for a tea at 'Hotel Maddur' on the RHS bang opposite the forest office just before the forest entry gate. Next 30-40 minutes after they wake up, they surely enjoy the drive through forest and the wildlife spottings. With ample car parking, neat toilets and good food, Jubilee@Bathery is one favourite option for a good breakfast break. These days, WindFlower getting too crowded for even breakfast !

Last edited by ajithbr : 10th April 2012 at 20:18.
Old 13th April 2012, 18:29   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Drove from Bangalore to Kalpetta and back last weekend through my regular NH-209 route . Thought I'll update about the road conditions.

Onward journey on Saturday morning :

Bangalore-Malavalli : Road continues to be good. Wanted to have breakfast at Hotel Gokul at Kanakapura, but it wasn't open at 7:15 AM when we passed by.

Malavalli-Kollegal : Good roads till about 5 kms before Kollegal. Patchy roads then for a couple of kms, Looked like they're planning to start some repair work here soon.

Kollegal - Chamarajnagar : The repairwork of the initial 3-4 kms from Kollegal which was patchy earlier is all done now. So good roads all through (except the narrow stretches in 3-4 villages)

Chamarajnagr-Gundlupet : Average to above average. Surface re-laying happening at 4 or 5 places on the way - each about 100 to 200 metres. Can still cover the 34 kms in around 35 minutes.

Took 3 hrs 30 minutes from near Metro on Kanakapura road to Gundlupet including a 30 minute breakfast break at Hotel Nandini, Kollegal (near the bus stand)

Gundlupet-Sulthan Batheri : Good roads till Muthanga except for some small patches near the beginning of the forest. Muthanga to Batheri a little bit rough, but decent.

Bathery-Kalpetta : Average to below average. No major potholes, but the road surace is very rough almost all through. Wonder why they seem to be ignoring this stretch of NH212 all the time. (The surface of the rest of NH212 -Kalpetta to Calicut- is in excellent shape now, I was told).
After reading this post, I too decided to take this route for my Bangalore - Vythiri travel. Bangalore - Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegal was breeze. Roads are great and very less traffic. But Kollegal to Chamrajanagar, there was few villages and people with bullockcart were on the road. Chamarajnagar to Gundlupet was also really good except at very few places. Overall this route is worth if you are driving on day time and wanted to avoid the mysore road traffic. I took ~3.15hrs to reach gundlupet.

Muthanga to Vythiri, the road condition was bad and loads of traffic. I took 2hrs to reach my destination after entering Kerala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
I have started from Bangalore at 6am and had breakfast at this hotel around 8:15am. Food was really good but it is little costly. Masaladosa costed Rs50/- and a coffee @ Rs40/- But the place is confortable. This place is little inside on your left side on the Sathy route after the Inspection Bunglow.
Old 16th April 2012, 15:52   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Did not realize there was a Calicut thread . I want to try the NH 209 route but was worried about the lack of good eat/rest room facilities. Looks like there are options. I mostly would want to try it while returning to Bangalore. The Gundlepet-Mysore-Bangalore route leaves me drained due to the high speed traffic. I start at around 4am while going to Kerala, and at that time the Mysore route is comfortable and I reach the Gundlepet CCD by around 7.30/7.45. So probably will not save any time taking the NH209 while going.
Old 16th April 2012, 17:07   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Rajeevraj: Agree with you. I myself usually start early morning from Bangalore (before 4AM) so as to reach Calicut for breakfast. Bangalore - Mysore - Gundelpet is not crowded that time and its a pleasure to drive and also food/ fuel options are plenty. It was however the return journey that usually gets real irritating. Traffic builds up exponentially from Nanjangaud. With a break for just getting takeaways it takes around 8 hrs from Calicut to my room in Domlur.

Hence for a change took Chamarajanagar route yesterday. Took 3 hrs exact to reach Koramangala from Gundlupet. Total travel time from Calicut was around 7 hr 15 mins. More than the time saved, the drive was very relaxed one thanks to total absence of any traffic. The strech between Gundlupet - Chamarajanagar (some 26kms odd) the road is not in great shape, though no potholes, the surface was very rough. However from Chamarajanagar once you join NH 209 surface is great. Also, being sunday night (Started from Gundlupet at 6:30PM) all towns were almost deserted.
The word of caution though, this route passes through many villages / small towns where the NH is only wide as any by lane (May be some 15mts wide) Iam not sure on any weekday how much traffic will be there. Couple of buses in opposite direction and you may get a traffic jam. Also, there arent any hotels available, saw Rajadhani resturant in Chamaranagar as discussed in few posts above, however apart from that none.
Since we were a convoy of couple of cars felt a bit safe, if you are travelling alone Iam not sure how safe the route is (though havent come across any incidents in the forum).
The route somehow reminds of Mysore - Gundlupet route some 8 years back (pre NH -212 phase) with tree lined narrow road.
Google maps link to the route : Gundlupet, Karnataka to Bangalore, Karnataka - Google Maps
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 17:49   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
The route somehow reminds of Mysore - Gundlupet route some 8 years back (pre NH -212 phase) with tree lined narrow road.
Google maps link to the route : Gundlupet, Karnataka to Bangalore, Karnataka - Google Maps
Another 5 years back, pre-2000 days, even Bangalore->Mysore had been similar. Even when I took 1 PM or 2 PM KSRTC bus from majestic to Calicut, never had to be bothered which side window seat to take since no direct sunlight falls on your face when you cross this stretch.

During rush days, I will NEVER stop between Mysore and Bangalore for the sake of food. It would be either carrying from home or at times, getting the parcel from any of the good hotels in Bathery. Beyond Bathery, you may not get good hotels (upto Mysore) or they are too crowded (between Mysore and Bangalore). There had been instances where we had food breaks in Mysore - either Kamat Madhuvan just at the entrance of the city or one of the Malayalee hotels bang opposite KSRTC stand where the parking area is on the back-side of their building.

Last edited by ajithbr : 16th April 2012 at 17:53.
Old 16th April 2012, 22:06   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

During rush days, I will NEVER stop between Mysore and Bangalore for the sake of food. It would be either carrying from home or at times, getting the parcel from any of the good hotels in Bathery. Beyond Bathery, you may not get good hotels (upto Mysore) or they are too crowded (between Mysore and Bangalore). There had been instances where we had food breaks in Mysore - either Kamat Madhuvan just at the entrance of the city or one of the Malayalee hotels bang opposite KSRTC stand where the parking area is on the back-side of their building.
This time we stopped at Hotel Savory, which is an Arabian/Kerala restaurant. This is while exiting Mysore may be a couple of KM before Columbia Asia Signal. Food was good and parking was pretty decent.

In the Bangalore- Mysore stretch, almost every hotel seems totally crowded during rush days. I noticed quite a few new ones that have come up in the recent past including an Empire Hotel just after Maddur. No respite from crowds though
Old 17th April 2012, 09:40   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Another 5 years back, pre-2000 days, even Bangalore->Mysore had been similar.
There had been instances where we had food breaks in Mysore - either Kamat Madhuvan just at the entrance of the city or one of the Malayalee hotels bang opposite KSRTC stand where the parking area is on the back-side of their building.
Yes Ajith, during my colleage days we too used to take afternoon buses to Calicut from Bangalore, traffic on Bangalore - Mysore route was like Nanjangaud- Gundelpet traffic of nowdays. The whole Bangalore - Mysore strech was 2 laned and lined with tress.
The Malayalee hotel you saying of near Mysore KSRTC stand is Hotel Maharaja I guess, wonder if its still open. Had food last from there around 6 yrs back, guess they were losing business by then since it was almost empty and was very poorly kept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
This time we stopped at Hotel Savory, which is an Arabian/Kerala restaurant. This is while exiting Mysore may be a couple of KM before Columbia Asia Signal. Food was good and parking was pretty decent.
Didnt notice Savory during last drive, will keep an eye open for it this weekend. Also, the Kamat which Ajith mentioned about in his post is good. Hotel Amaravathi near Mandya is also OK. However my routine is based on early morning / evening start stop at BP COCO outlet near Channapatana (the one with MacDonalds) fill petrol, bio break, get some takeaway and be at home in Calicut by time for Breakfast / Dinner.
Old 17th April 2012, 15:18   #135
BHPian

Quote:
The Malayalee hotel you saying of near Mysore KSRTC stand is Hotel Maharaja I guess, wonder if its still open. Had food last from there around 6 yrs back, guess they were losing business by then since it was almost empty and was very poorly kept.
Yes. I am not sure whether they closed by now. Maybe, another Kerala-style hotel had opened there, I guess. Even otherwise, I think there are 2 more Kerala style hotels somewhere inside the same building complex.

Quote:
Also, the Kamat which Ajith mentioned about in his post is good. Hotel Amaravathi near Mandya is also OK.
In Mandya town, just before the main junction (the first big junction, I guess just near KSRTC and with the traffic police kiosk) while coming from Mysore side, you have Hotel Haripriya which is also very good with ample car parking space in front. It is a 3/4/5 storey building and the menu is similar to Shanti Sagar chain.

Most Viewed