Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2011, 08:06   #316
dot
Senior - BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Friends,,
After reaching Sawantwadi from Amboli, which route to take in order to touch NH17. Planning to go to Calangute eventually.
Old 7th May 2011, 08:13   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Friends,,
After reaching Sawantwadi from Amboli, which route to take in order to touch NH17. Planning to go to Calangute eventually.
Continue on NH17 via Banda towards Panaji.
Take Mapusa bypass and continue a few more kms (halfway to Panaji), where you will see right turn towards Calangute.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2011, 18:17   #318
BHPian

Hi,

Have just arrived in Goa yesterday. The route I used was Andheri-JVLR-Mulund-Airoli-Vashi-Expressway-Kolhapur-Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Banda-Mapuca-Panjim-Margaon
Time taken was 10 hours to Mapuca. This due to heavy (and indisciplined)truck traffic on the expressway & NH4. One has to keep zig zagging from the left to the right lane and back again to get past these guys. Also lost about an hour in all at the toll booths on NH4 (in Maharashtra) due to massive traffic jams / tail backs. It was taking so long that I got out of the car (and left my wife to inch it forward) to see what the problem was. The guy at the toll booth says they have to enter each car's number into the computer and this takes time. Also they have a major problem with change - "Lokar Nai"!!!! Really annoying. What's the point of a toll road if one is going to lose time at the other end. However, no such problem at the one toll in Karnataka.
Turned off at Sankeshwar and headed for Gadhinglaj. Road surface was broken and rough but acceptable. Usual SH standard but better than last year. Gadhinglaj to Ajra was a bit better and then about 10 Kms before Amboli and all the way to Sawantwadi the condition improved dramatically. Road has just been resurfaced. However, the road although smooth is still undulating (wavy) so one still keeps getting bounced (gently) around a bit. However, better this than crashing into potholes. Few bad patches after Sawantwadi (near Banda) but nothing to worry about. After that it's the usual Goa "Magic Carpet" roads. Be careful of speeding. I saw one of the Police Esteem "Interceptors" hanging around.

If anyone has used NH17 in the last couple of days, I would appreciate some feedback on that road as I would hate to have to put up with the same delays on the way back.

SS
Old 9th May 2011, 00:41   #319
BHPian

Guys, I need help. I am driving from Mumbai to Goa on NH4 shortly and wish to reach the new campus of Goa Institute of Management located at Sanquelim. The map shows that Sanquelim can be reached by taking a left turn at Mapusa and following the Bicholim route. The map also indicates that Sanquelim can be approached directly from the Belgaum side - either via Jamboti / Chorlem or via Khanapur / Valpoi. What I need to know is whether any of the last 2 routes are motorable - there are some reports on other threads about major issues on the Jamboti-Chorlem section but these are dated. There is no info at all about the Khanapur-Valpoi route. Grateful if somebody can provide some info because I could save considerable travel time if I could reach Sanquelim from Belgaum directly rather than first go to Mapusa and then trace my steps back.
Old 9th May 2011, 10:36   #320
BHPian

Tarunp, Dont even think of the Jamboti - Chorla route. From Belgaum these are the best routes,
1. belgaum - amboli - sawantwadi - mapuca - bicholim - sanquelim.
2. belgaum - khanapur - ramnagar - anmod - molem ( take the right turn after the checkpost ) - honda - sanquelim.
if Seeking Adventure ( at your own risk please ) 3. belgaum - tilari - assonara - bicholim - sanquelim.
Hope this helps.
Old 9th May 2011, 10:55   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
If anyone has used NH17 in the last couple of days, I would appreciate some feedback on that road as I would hate to have to put up with the same delays on the way back.
Not literally in the last couple of days, but ...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2317222
Darryl.Burke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 14:40   #322
BHPian

Thanks Sahir for your inputs. Any thoughts on the Khanapur - Valpoi route ?
Also, just can't locate ramnagar, anmod & molem on the Eicher road atlas - do you have a link to a map ?
Old 9th May 2011, 16:18   #323
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunp View Post
Before Sahir gets back. Search for Tilari route on this forum.

Quote:
Also, just can't locate ramnagar, anmod & molem on the Eicher road atlas - do you have a link to a map ?
Heard of google maps, wikimapia.org, etc?
Old 9th May 2011, 16:34   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunp View Post

Khanapur - Jamboti - Chorla - Satari - sanquelim - honda - valpoi.
Check google maps.
Old 9th May 2011, 20:03   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
Khanapur - Jamboti - Chorla - Satari - sanquelim - honda - valpoi.
Check google maps.
There are some recent pictures of NH4A in some other thread,and the road tarmac is absolutely brilliant.
Old 9th May 2011, 21:57   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
There are some recent pictures of NH4A in some other thread,and the road tarmac is absolutely brilliant.
Ranjit, The route I am speaking about is not NH4A. Its Chorla route.
Old 10th May 2011, 09:03   #327
Senior - BHPian

Deaths drive travellers away from NH17

Something in todays Times about a route that I still love travelling on compared to the NH4.

Deaths drive travellers away from NH17 - The Times of India
Govt couldn?t care less about drivers? safety - The Times of India
Old 10th May 2011, 09:24   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Yes. I just did Belgaum - Khanapur - Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem - Ponda on NH 4A and the road conditions where quite ok. Please see details in this post :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ueries-16.html

Please note that I did this route on a Sunday when the mining trucks are off the roads due to a court order. On other days, I understand the trucks are a big nuisance
Old 11th May 2011, 14:51   #329

Hi,i'll be taking the Pune-Kolhapur-nipani-sawantwadi-goa route this weekend for Goa in a car.
What is the road conditions around this time?
Can anyone suggest good pitstops along this way?
Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 15:50   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponderer View Post
Hi,i'll be taking the Pune-Kolhapur-nipani-sawantwadi-goa route this weekend for Goa in a car.
What is the road conditions around this time?
Can anyone suggest good pitstops along this way?
Thanks
There is Sai International before Kolhapur,then there is the Mcdonalds & Coffee Day adjacent to each other after Kolhapur town to your right,then just as you ascend the Tavandi Ghat after Kolhapur,there is a restaurant to your right,that too is very good.

The NH4A is also very good,so you might want to consider taking that route,especially if you are travelling on a Sunday as then there would be no trucks either on NH4A.Kolhapur-Belgaum-Khanapur-Londa-Ponda-Panjim.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks