Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2011, 21:59   #451
ppr
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanm View Post
Went to Bombay last Wednesday via Amboli-Ajzra-Shankeshwar-NH4-Express way and returned last night.

As soon as you cross from Goa to South Maharastra the road really sucks all the way to Sawantwadi, from there to Amboli it's pretty ok, Amboli to Ajzra is not too bad, after that it goes down hill in more ways than one, the final stretch before the NH4 of around 5-6km's is the worst road I have ever witnessed, there is a crater around 1km from the NH4, I hit that 3 times now in the last 2 months.
I believe you must have taken the Ajra Uttur Nipani road to the NH4. After Amboli, you need to take the right road towards Gadhinglaj and then Sankeshwar. If you turn towards Ajra, you end up going via Uttur. That road is supposedly very bad.
Old 10th October 2011, 23:24   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppr View Post
I believe you must have taken the Ajra Uttur Nipani road to the NH4. After Amboli, you need to take the right road towards Gadhinglaj and then Sankeshwar. If you turn towards Ajra, you end up going via Uttur. That road is supposedly very bad.
Yeah that's the road I had taken last 3 times, trouble is I can't read the road signs in Marathi and was driving alone, the first time I drove this route was via Gadhinglaj and was very good and fast, where is the turn to Gadhingladj after Amboli?
Old 10th October 2011, 23:32   #453
ppr
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah that's the road I had taken last 3 times, trouble is I can't read the road signs in Marathi and was driving alone, the first time I drove this route was via Gadhinglaj and was very good and fast, where is the turn to Gadhingladj after Amboli?
I think it is pretty close to Ajra. Maybe even just after Ajra. Not very clearly signposted from what I remember. The Uttur road is sign posted, just avoid that.
ppr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 23:40   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Stefan,good to see you back on the forum.Hope you are doing good.

Well from Ajra,you take a left towards Uttur,instead take the right and it goes via Gadhinglaj onto Sankeshwar.The Amboli road ends up in a dead end- T- Junction at Ajra,left takes you to Uttur-Nipani and right takes you to Gadhinglaj & Sankeshwar.Google maps does not show up the turns very clearly.
Old 10th October 2011, 23:45   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppr View Post
I think it is pretty close to Ajra. Maybe even just after Ajra. Not very clearly signposted from what I remember. The Uttur road is sign posted, just avoid that.
Will try to figure it out next time, probably will have the Mrs with me at least she can read the road signs and speaks more Hindi than me.
Old 11th October 2011, 06:19   #456
BHPian

@Stefan: I have found that the best alternative is to proceed from Amboli straight upto Belgaum instead of taking the turn for Uttur/ Gadhinglaj. Just before you hit Belgaum town, a left turn takes you towards the NH4. When you see the big flyover at the end of this road, take a left and you are on your way to Pune. Extra distance - about 40 kms, extra time - about 20 minutes (considering the craters on the Uttur/ Gadhinglaj roads) - body in one piece at the end of the day.

I have been recommeding this route on the forum for quite some time now, but most people seem to avoid it because of the extra kms. But for me, the extra riding comfort is a first any day.

Cheers for your next trip.
Old 11th October 2011, 10:19   #457
Senior - BHPian

@suniladhiya: Are you referring to this route?
Google Maps
As of October, how is the road condition of this route that you have recommended?

I have a plan to reach North Goa from Pune on 22 October (and would prefer a good road over a short cut).

Edit: @ranjit: Are you referring to this route? http://g.co/maps/uy3rz How is the condition as of this month?

Last edited by S_U_N : 11th October 2011 at 10:26.
Old 11th October 2011, 12:52   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N;2539530I have a plan to reach North Goa from Pune on 22 October (and would prefer a good road over a short cut).

Edit: @ranjit: Are you referring to this route? [url=http://g.co/maps/uy3rz
Pune, Maharashtra, India to Casa Candolim Beach Resort - Google Maps[/url] How is the condition as of this month?
Yes this is the route from Sankeshwar.The route via Belgaum to Amboli is also good.Expect certain rough patches on both routes but nothing alarming.Around Amboli where the landslides happen continues to be bad.
Old 11th October 2011, 13:41   #459
BHPian

Planning for a Nov trip to Goa. Would Prefer south goa . The route decided on is Panvel:Pune:Nipani:Bauxite Road:Sawantwari Road . From here which route should i continue on , the sawantwadi road to reach Amboli or take the state highway 130 to reach North Goa.

Drive comfort is of top priority.
Old 11th October 2011, 16:03   #460
BHPian

@ Sun and Ravi Yadav: The route I am referring to is as follows: Speed along NH4 rght upto the first Belgaum exit. Take this exit on the left and turn right under the flyover. Go straight and dont take the turn on the left. The straigt road is the Bauxite Road which will run for about 7 kms and join the Belgaum-Amboli-Vengurla State Highway. It totally bypasses Belgaum City, no signals, no traffic snarls. From the exit of this road to Amboli is exactly 60 kms. From there, carry on to Sawantwadi, Banda, Pernem, Mapusa and further to wherever you want to go in Goa. From what I have read in recent posts on this forum, the bad patch is between Sawantwadi and Goa Border due to road widening work. Also, few meters may be bad in the Amboli Ghat due to the recent landslides as mentioned by Ranjit. But overall, I have found this route to be the best in terms of driving comfort.

Have a safe trip.
Old 12th October 2011, 16:42   #461
BHPian

@suniladhiya unable to get the exact rout that you are talking about.

If possible can you post the rout from Belgaum to Goa on one of the maps and post the link, which will make it more clear.
Old 12th October 2011, 17:01   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooze View Post
If possible can you post the rout from Belgaum to Goa on one of the maps and post the link, which will make it more clear.
This is the route to Amboli from NH4 Belgaum exit.

Bauxite Road to Sawantwadi, Maharashtra - Google Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Yadav View Post
Planning for a Nov trip to Goa. Would Prefer south goa . The route decided on is Panvel:Pune:Nipani:Bauxite Road:Sawantwari Road . From here which route should i continue on , the sawantwadi road to reach Amboli or take the state highway 130 to reach North Goa.

If south goa is your destination,then I would suggest that that you take the NH4A from Belgaum via Londa-Mollem-Ponda-Madgaon.Reason is because even the Sawantwadi-Banda section is potholed,so if you are able to negotiate the potholed sections of NH4A,it is a much more scenic drive as well as it takes you straight to South Goa.Saves you the trouble of driving from North to South which can be time consuming.

Bauxite Road to Margaon, Goa - Google Maps

Please bear in mind that I wouldnt suggest driving Belgaum-NH4A-Goa after 4 in the evening as the area tends to get dark very soon and it is not a pleasant experience negotiating the mollem ghats & the potholes in darkness.Target to getonto NH4A by 3pm to enjoy the drive.

In case you do want to go via sawantwadi,then follow the first map which shows you directions from belgaum to sawantwadi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I have a plan to reach North Goa from Pune on 22 October (and would prefer a good road over a short cut).
Quote:
Originally Posted by suniladhiya View Post
@ Sun and Ravi Yadav: The route I am referring to is as follows: Speed along NH4 rght upto the first Belgaum exit. Take this exit on the left and turn right under the flyover. Go straight and dont take the turn on the left. The straigt road is the Bauxite Road which will run for about 7 kms and join the Belgaum-Amboli-Vengurla State Highway. It totally bypasses Belgaum City, no signals, no traffic snarls. From the exit of this road to Amboli is exactly 60 kms. From there, carry on to Sawantwadi, Banda, Pernem, Mapusa and further to wherever you want to go in Goa.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 12th October 2011 at 17:04.
Old 12th October 2011, 17:08   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Yadav View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
If south goa is your destination,then I would suggest that that you take the NH4A from Belgaum via Londa-Mollem-Ponda-Madgaon.Reason is because even the Sawantwadi-Banda section is potholed,so if you are able to negotiate the potholed sections of NH4A,it is a much more scenic drive as well as it takes you straight to South Goa.
@ranjit,
ravi yadav's top priority is driving comfort.
sawantwadi-banda road is not that bad to give priority to nh4a.
Old 12th October 2011, 18:29   #464
BHPian

@ ranjit thanks for the map.

Also as per your 2 option have heard some bad reviews about NH4A mining trucks driving like carzy, roads have very large pot holes etc.

May be best to get raod condition update before week from the planned trip.
Old 12th October 2011, 18:52   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooze View Post
@ ranjit thanks for the map.

Also as per your 2 option have heard some bad reviews about NH4A mining trucks driving like carzy, roads have very large pot holes etc.

May be best to get raod condition update before week from the planned trip.
The mining trucks have more or less stopped/reduced thanks to the SC mining ban,but yes the potholes could be a worry.Would be a good idea to pm Sahir Kittur to get real time updates of the route a couple of days before the drive.He is from Belgaum and regularly drives the routes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks