Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2011, 14:48   #376
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

The amboli route is reopen. My sources say that its open from 0600 hrs. to 1800 hrs.
source :- Amobli road reopens | All About Belgaum

Cheers.
Old 6th August 2011, 09:36   #377
BHPian

Hi friends

I will be driving down to SouthGoa with family in the second or third week of this month from Mumbai for the first time. Planning to take NH-4 via Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum and then NH-4A via Anmod-Mollem. What is the present condition of these roads and how long will it take me to reach Margao by this route from Chembur in Mumbai if I start driving at 3.30am? Other pointers like places to stop by for lunch/tea/loo breaks on these routes would be helpful as well!

Also please let me know if the Nippani-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi detour from NH-4 is worth taking as an alternative route - given that the route is prone to landslides!

Awaiting your early reply friends.

Thank you!
Old 8th August 2011, 11:12   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluez View Post
Hi friends

I will be driving down to SouthGoa with family in the second or third week of this month from Mumbai for the first time. Planning to take NH-4 via Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum and then NH-4A via Anmod-Mollem. What is the present condition of these roads and how long will it take me to reach Margao by this route from Chembur in Mumbai if I start driving at 3.30am? Other pointers like places to stop by for lunch/tea/loo breaks on these routes would be helpful as well!

Also please let me know if the Nippani-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi detour from NH-4 is worth taking as an alternative route - given that the route is prone to landslides!

Awaiting your early reply friends.

Thank you!
NH4A has reportedly gone bad as per some other reports on the forum.Stick to the Amboli route,only rider being that you need to cross Amboli before 5-6 in the evening,

The other option is to go via Kolhapur-Radhanagari-Phondaghat-Kankavli-NH17-Sawantwadi-Goa.Expect some bad sections on nh17 between sawantwadi and kankavli.The phondaghat sections are good no issues there.

Irrespective of the route you take,Mumbai-Goa would take you around 10-11 hours(breaks.rains etc add onto your time).Leave early so that you can reach early.

Food stops after Pune,there are plenty of wayside options near Kolhapur.If you are going via Belgaum,then you would encounter Cafe Coffee Day and Mcdie after Kolhapur town onto your right.

There are a couple of restaurants onto your right on the tawandi ghat as well.Target to reach these places for lunch.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 14:21   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
NH4A has reportedly gone bad as per some other reports on the forum.Stick to the Amboli route,only rider being that you need to cross Amboli before 5-6 in the evening,

The other option is to go via Kolhapur-Radhanagari-Phondaghat-Kankavli-NH17-Sawantwadi-Goa.Expect some bad sections on nh17 between sawantwadi and kankavli.The phondaghat sections are good no issues there.

Irrespective of the route you take,Mumbai-Goa would take you around 10-11 hours(breaks.rains etc add onto your time).Leave early so that you can reach early.

Food stops after Pune,there are plenty of wayside options near Kolhapur.If you are going via Belgaum,then you would encounter Cafe Coffee Day and Mcdie after Kolhapur town onto your right.

There are a couple of restaurants onto your right on the tawandi ghat as well.Target to reach these places for lunch.
Thanks for the detailed instructions, ranjitp1. Another user will update the status of NH4A on another thread by tomorrow. So will see about that and accordingly finalise the route to take. Thank you once more!
Old 10th August 2011, 00:04   #380
BHPian

I did the Mumbai-Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Hubli stretch on 17-18 July and 6-7 August. This stretch is in great condition and there is nothing to worry about.
Sandy28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 13:12   #381
BHPian

That's the NH-4 stretch right Sandy28? Has to be in good condition for most of the time - if not all the time! Thanks for the info!
Old 13th August 2011, 20:25   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi, I will be travelling to South Goa (around Varca) from Mumbai around 2 weeks from now. Would appreciate current feedback on which of the following route is the best for a couple and a small kid in a sedan. Priority is a smooth drive:

1. NH4 to Kolhapur - Gaganbawda - Kasarde - NH17 to Goa
2. NH4 to Nipani - Uttur - Amboli Ghat - Sawantwadi - NH17
3. NH4 to Nipani - Sankeshwar - Gadhinglaj - Amboli Ghat - Sawantwadi - NH 17
4. NH4 to Belgaum - NH 4A to Khanapur - SH 30 to Anmod - NH4A to Molem - local road thru Kulem towards Curchorem etc (Suggested by Google maps)
5. NH 4 to Belgaum - NH 4A via Anmod to Ponda - NH 17 B to Verna - NH 17 towards Madgaon and then to Varca.

Does the famous Konduskar Petrol pump / Mc DS at Kolhapur fall on all these routes?

Also, would a GPS map be useful. If so which one?

Garmin City Navigator?
Map my India for Garmin?
Navfree India for iPad?
sygic India for iPad?

Finally, for a day trip at sensible speeds (120 on expressway, max 90-100 elsewhere), and a few halts, when should I leave from Central Bombay?

Any inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hayek.

PS: Mods, had also posted this on the Mumbai to Goa by road thread. Presume its ok to post same query on two threads since both are relevant.
Old 16th August 2011, 10:29   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
1. NH4 to Kolhapur - Gaganbawda - Kasarde - NH17 to Goa
2. NH4 to Nipani - Uttur - Amboli Ghat - Sawantwadi - NH17
3. NH4 to Nipani - Sankeshwar - Gadhinglaj - Amboli Ghat - Sawantwadi - NH 17
4. NH4 to Belgaum - NH 4A to Khanapur - SH 30 to Anmod - NH4A to Molem - local road thru Kulem towards Curchorem etc (Suggested by Google maps)
5. NH 4 to Belgaum - NH 4A via Anmod to Ponda - NH 17 B to Verna - NH 17 towards Madgaon and then to Varca.

Does the famous Konduskar Petrol pump / Mc DS at Kolhapur fall on all these routes?

Finally, for a day trip at sensible speeds (120 on expressway, max 90-100 elsewhere), and a few halts, when should I leave from Central Bombay?
Stick to the Mumbai-Pune-NH4-Satara-Kolhapur-Sankeshwar-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Panjim-South Goa.,except for some small bad patches near Amboli,the rest of the route is fine.

Yes the Konduskar pump & the MCdie and CCD fall on this route.Konduskar comes under the Kolhapur town flyover on NH4.

Mcdie & CCD would come to your right after you exit kolhapur town mess on nh4.

Mumbai-Goa via any route would take you around 10hours at sensible speeds and an early departure from Mumbai,else city traffic in Mumbai and daytime local traffic between Pune & Kolhapur would turn out to be killers.The toll gates between Pune & Kolhapur would see huge traffic pileups

Leave Mumbai around 5am and you should be in South Goa by 3pm with ample breaks in between.We do Borivli-South Goa in 10hours with a 5am departure from Mumbai.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 08:16   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Stick to the Mumbai-Pune-NH4-Satara-Kolhapur-Sankeshwar-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Panjim-South Goa.,except for some small bad patches near Amboli,the rest of the route is fine.

Yes the Konduskar pump & the MCdie and CCD fall on this route.Konduskar comes under the Kolhapur town flyover on NH4.

Mumbai-Goa via any route would take you around 10hours at sensible speeds and an early departure from Mumbai,else city traffic in Mumbai and daytime local traffic between Pune & Kolhapur would turn out to be killers.The toll gates between Pune & Kolhapur would see huge traffic pileups

Leave Mumbai around 5am and you should be in South Goa by 3pm with ample breaks in between.We do Borivli-South Goa in 10hours with a 5am departure from Mumbai.
Travelled Bombay-Goa on Expressway-NH4 till Belgaum and NH4A on 15th. NH4 right upto Belgaum was a dream stretch but it was a HORRIBLE or rather SUICIDAL ride on the NH4A from Belgaum to Goa! The place was pockmarked with more craters than the moon - some of them the size of an entire room. Please AVOID any route via NH4A at all costs and take it only if you want to break your back/torture someone/want an offroading experience!! Khanapur-Anmod is THE WORST stretch of highway i have ever come across in my entire life. Again I repeat - PLEASE AVOID!! Took me 3 hours more than usual just to negotiate those roads and ghats that day due to heavy rain and fog as well apart from the craters! More updates on the return trip to Mumbai later (thinking of taking the Amboli route)!
thebluez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 20:49   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluez

Travelled Bombay-Goa on Expressway-NH4 till Belgaum and NH4A on 15th. NH4 right upto Belgaum was a dream stretch but it was a HORRIBLE or rather SUICIDAL ride on the NH4A from Belgaum to Anmod)!
Ranjit / Bluez, thanks for the very useful inputs (both on this and the other thread). Shall stick to Sankeshwar / Gadhinglaj route.

The Bluez, if you used the Ajra Uttur Nipani route while coming back, and it's good, please let me know.

Just to clarify, would like to confirm that while going from Bombay, the McD comes on the right first, and the Konduskar pump comes on the left a little later.

Thanks once again.
Old 19th August 2011, 15:00   #386
BHPian

Sankeshwar Gadhinglaj Ajra route is safe bet. After crossing into Maharashtra on Sankeshwar Gadhinglaj section road surface is broken for approx 8 kms, however, you can still maintain 60 kmph. (Its quite busy road).

Konduskar is good pump but only sells Speed and Diesel, no regular petrol.

Eating options -

Apart from McD and CCD you have Virangula, approx 65~70 km from Pune near Bhuinj, before Satara on left hand side. Place offers good fresh Maharashtrian snacks options. For lunch, if you are Non-veg get into Kolhapur and try Opel (turn left from Tara rani statue and 1 km on left) It will add @ 1 hr to get in, eat and get out back on highway. Service opens @ 12.15.

After Kolhapur not many options till you reach Sawantwadi. If you are too early in Kolhapur, (If you leave Mumbai @ 5 am you should reach Kolhapur by 11, 11.30) You can try to reach Sawantwadi by 2 pm. You have Kamat's near the lake that will offer good food and ambiance and also Raju Bhalekar's Khanawal as you enter Sawantwadi that will offer you good Non-veg food but not so great ambiance.

In case you are bit late You can also stop at Amboli just before the Ghat section on left hand side you have Vitthal Kamat's restaurant. Also in Amboli proper you have Lad house (Similar to Raju Bhalekar).

Happy journey!!!
CANPUSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 19:37   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
After Kolhapur not many options till you reach Sawantwadi.
Happy journey!!!
Ranjit mentioned recently in this thread about a good Veg restaurant at the foot or begining of tawandi ghat.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2347530
Also the Sai International fast food and restaurant just before Kolhapur is quite decent, has clean toilets too.
Cheers

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 19th August 2011 at 19:55. Reason: Typo
deutscheafrikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 20:05   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH

Konduskar is good pump but only sells Speed and Diesel, no regular petrol.

Eating options -

Apart from McD and CCD you have Virangula, approx 65~70 km from Pune near Bhuinj, before Satara on left hand side. Place offers good fresh Maharashtrian snacks options.

After Kolhapur not many options till you reach Sawantwadi. If you are too early in Kolhapur, (If you leave Mumbai @ 5 am you should reach Kolhapur by 11, 11.30) You can try to reach Sawantwadi by 2 pm. You have Kamat's near the lake that will offer good food and ambiance

In case you are bit late You can also stop at Amboli just before the Ghat section on left hand side you have Vitthal Kamat's restaurant. Also in Amboli proper you have Lad house (Similar to Raju Bhalekar).

Happy journey!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar
Ranjit mentioned recently in this thread about a good Veg restaurant at the foot or begining of tawandi ghat.
Also the Sai International fast food and restaurant just before Kolhapur is quite decent, has clean toilets too.
Cheers
Canpush / Deutsche afrikar - thanks for the inputs. If Konduskar has only speed, is there any reliable pump near Kolhapur that sells normal unleaded petrol?
Old 21st August 2011, 08:48   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluez View Post
Travelled Bombay-Goa on Expressway-NH4 till Belgaum and NH4A on 15th. NH4 right upto Belgaum was a dream stretch but it was a HORRIBLE or rather SUICIDAL ride on the NH4A from Belgaum to Goa! The place was pockmarked with more craters than the moon - some of them the size of an entire room. Please AVOID any route via NH4A at all costs and take it only if you want to break your back/torture someone/want an offroading experience!! Khanapur-Anmod is THE WORST stretch of highway i have ever come across in my entire life. Again I repeat - PLEASE AVOID!! Took me 3 hours more than usual just to negotiate those roads and ghats that day due to heavy rain and fog as well apart from the craters! More updates on the return trip to Mumbai later (thinking of taking the Amboli route)!
WOW !! I traveled on NH4A to Belgaum while returning from Goa on July 24th and didnt find the route so bad. Agreed there are few moon like craters but 75% of the road is very good to drive. I could easily drive at an average of 60 kmph. Complete the whole stretch from South Goa to Belgaum in 3 hours.
I traveled during day time so I could easily spot the craters and slow down. Looks like the rains were quiet heavy between July 24 and Aug 15 which has made the road suicidal.
Old 21st August 2011, 09:32   #390

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
WOW !! I traveled on NH4A to Belgaum while returning from Goa on July 24th and didnt find the route so bad. Agreed there are few moon like craters but 75% of the road is very good to drive. I could easily drive at an average of 60 kmph. Complete the whole stretch from South Goa to Belgaum in 3 hours.
I traveled during day time so I could easily spot the craters and slow down. Looks like the rains were quiet heavy between July 24 and Aug 15 which has made the road suicidal.
Youre quite right athanedar! Did this route on the 8th of July and took me a shade under 3 hours driving very sedately. And maybe a handful of large potholes. Im really surprised too... Guess its the magic of monsoons

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks