Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2011, 15:30   #346
Senior - BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Anmod is good as of now barring a few bad stretches before Mollem,but do not expect it to be good,if the monsoons begin in full fury thanks to all the iron ore trucks.I guess the road should hold good till the 23rd if there are no torrential rains in the region
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 15:43   #347
BHPian

Just returned to Pune on 3rd June from Goa after a week long trip.

I have travelled from Pune to Goa multiple times with various routes mentioned in above posts.

This time I took following route: Pune > Kolhapur > Gaganbawada > Talere NH17 >Sawantwadi > Goa.

Barring 10-15kms after Rankala in Kolhapur (read village traffic) the road and the drive till Talere, where you meet NH17, is excellent. I could easily keep 70-80 constant. I like this route because of the greenery and the continous shade of the trees, its very cool. Road condition on NH 17 after Talere I need not explain, its again v good.

Via Nipani, Ajra you might go fast, but I enjoyed the drive most from Gaganbawada route. While coming back took the same route.

Last edited by maverickxx2006 : 7th June 2011 at 15:45.
Old 7th June 2011, 16:23   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickxx2006 View Post
Just returned to Pune on 3rd June from Goa after a week long trip..
Is it pouring in Goa? I am planning on going this weekend, but would cancel if it's raining. My 3yr old son hates the rains in Goa since he can't go to the beach then.
Old 7th June 2011, 17:17   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Anmod is good as of now barring a few bad stretches before Mollem,but do not expect it to be good,if the monsoons begin in full fury thanks to all the iron ore trucks.I guess the road should hold good till the 23rd if there are no torrential rains in the region
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
Is it pouring in Goa? I am planning on going this weekend, but would cancel if it's raining. My 3yr old son hates the rains in Goa since he can't go to the beach then.

Yes its raining in Goa. The day we started on 3rd, it started raining.
Old 7th June 2011, 19:44   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
Today was the first day without rain since the monsoon broke. Well, the day isn't over yet

db
Old 7th June 2011, 19:46   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl.Burke View Post
Today was the first day without rain since the monsoon broke. Well, the day isn't over yet

db
Cancelled my trip didn't want to spend the entire day in the hotel. Although, I will be in Goa as soon as the rainy season is over.
Old 8th June 2011, 00:23   #352
BHPian

friends, will be traveling from Belgaum to Panjim on Friday. Was planning to go via Khanapur-Anmod-Molem-Phonda. After reading Suniladhiya's post, am a bit confused whether I should go via Amboli-Sawantwadi route. please suggest!
Old 8th June 2011, 09:35   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi View Post
friends, will be traveling from Belgaum to Panjim on Friday. Was planning to go via Khanapur-Anmod-Molem-Phonda. After reading Suniladhiya's post, am a bit confused whether I should go via Amboli-Sawantwadi route. please suggest!

Minardi, Take the Belgaum - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Panjim route. The Molem route is good too, But the chance of getting stuck in minning traffic betwwen molem & tiskar is a very painfull.
Hope you enjoy your stay in Belgaum. Cheers.
SAHIR.KITTUR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 16:55   #354
BHPian

Hi everyone,

Traveled from Belgaum to Goa yesterday via Belgaun-Amboli-sawantwadi-Panaji route. I started at around 1015 hrs from Belgaum railway station and reached goa at 1335 hrs. Consider a few things,

1. Road condition is average upto about 5-6 kms after exiting belgaum city. Uneven surfaces, small potholes are common. But keep your eyes open for unmarked speedbreakers. Due to many villages on this stretch, tractors and trucks and buses are common.

2. Road condition is good upto sawantwadi. (No waterfall at amboli yet). Traffic is also light. No trucks. Not many buses.

3. work is still going on at the place where landslide occurred last year in Amboli. Lost no time here due to negligible traffic.

4. Work in progress near Banda RTO checkpost (near goa border, maharastra side). Got struck here for about 15 mins (4 lane highway work).

5. Banda to panaji very good road.

Before reaching sawantwadi, (around 8 kms before) there is a road on the left indicating panaji on the sign board. Did not take it due to unknown road condition. Repented my decision after getting struck at Banda. This road i guess bypasses sawantwadi (and also the point where i got struck). BUT NOT SO SURE. Does anyone have any info about this road.

Planning a trip to Kolhapur on Friday. Any suggestions???? The route in my mind right now is Amboli-nipani-Kolhapur. Thanks in advance
Old 8th June 2011, 18:35   #355
Senior - BHPian

Good decision that you did not take that left road indicating Panjim,it would have taken you ages & a few broken axles to reach Panjim in case you had taken it,it is a dirt road and not at all reccomended.

For Kolhapur,you could take the Panjim-NH17-Sawantwadi-Kankavli-Right Turn onto Phonda-Phondaghat-Kolhapur.Roads are good and the ghats are spectacular.It should take you around 5 hours to Kolhapur via this route.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 18:43   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_myth View Post
Before reaching sawantwadi, (around 8 kms before) there is a road on the left indicating panaji on the sign board. Did not take it due to unknown road condition. Repented my decision after getting struck at Banda. This road i guess bypasses sawantwadi (and also the point where i got struck). BUT NOT SO SURE. Does anyone have any info about this road.
It's right there in this thread. And you wouldn't have avoided Banda anyways.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1411127

db
Darryl.Burke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 22:50   #357
BHPian

Mates,
This has eventually turned into a Belgaum - Goa route Query thread.
My suggestion is that anyone who seeks this info should state 2 imp criterias,
1. ETD from belgaum ( towards Goa )
2. Destination in Goa.
This would help all of us to provide more accurate suggestions.
Cheers.
Old 10th June 2011, 03:57   #358
BHPian

Has anyone does the Thillari route in the recent past? It has always been known for its horrible condition but it is a sort of pilgrimage for me to do. Have done it at least once a year for the past five years.
Old 10th June 2011, 08:05   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi View Post
Minardi, I would recommend Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Goa based on my last trip on 27th May. Reasons are as follows:

(a) I used Bauxite Road to exit from Belgaum and join Belgaum-Amboli State Highway somewhere near the Jail. This road has practically no traffic, no signals, no railway crossings. Only a few unmarked speed breakers which you can easily manage if speeds are reasonable.

(b) Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi State Highway is quite broad no potholes and fairly green. Absolutely no menace of mining trucks. No getting pushed into the shoulder by buses/ trucks.

The Belgaum-Panaji distance is the same whether you take the Anmod-Mollem route or the Amboli-Sawantwadi Route i.e. approx 150 kms. So why get stuck in mining trucks when you have a much better alternative.

Incidentally discovery of the Bauxite Road exit and subsequent Amboli route is all thanks to teambhp member Sahir.
suniladhiya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 14:54   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_u View Post
Has anyone does the Thillari route in the recent past? It has always been known for its horrible condition but it is a sort of pilgrimage for me to do. Have done it at least once a year for the past five years.
Welcome ! Nice to see a Belgaumite here.
Tilari is one of my fav. Yes its a pilgrimage for me too.
Cheers.
SAHIR.KITTUR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed