Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2013, 22:42   #1156
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

@filcord the most decent place at will be at Belgaum i.e. at Hotel Adarsha Palace, the hotel is on the college road in Belgaum which you will be crossing. Only thing the hotel is on the right side of the divider and you will have to take a U-turn from the break a couple of meter from the hotel.
Old 15th October 2013, 11:47   #1157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
That was really detailed. I am doing Goa to Pune early October, and was thinking of taking the Chorla Ghat route instead of Swantwadi-Amboli-Ajra, for two reasons, one that it would be a new experience, and second that it might be a better surface than the amboli-ajra route. Would that be right?

Also as we will be leaving Goa around 0530, any decent breakfast place by around 0730 hrs?
Not sure, if this is late since you mentioned early Oct but yes, the Chorla route will definitely be better from surface quality and you will be able to maintain good steady speed. It's more scenic as well.

For B/f, I guess you will be close to Belgaum around 730 if you start at 530 from Goa. I'd suggest Adarsh Palace. I stopped there last time. The food is good and toilets are clean .
Old 15th October 2013, 12:17   #1158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
As promised, below are the driving directions to access the Chorla Ghat via Belgaum.
15. 6th. traffic signal - bear right and go over railway bridge. Keep straight on. I guess Belgaum railway station is now somewhere below you.
16. Major junction. "LIC" building in front as you approach. Can't miss it. Go right around the circle.
17. 7th. traffic signal - continue straight on. You will now pass "Big Bazaar" on your right.
I was on my way back from Chorla ghat towards Pune, and when I neared Belgaum I remembered your post on this thread.
Nevertheless I decided to be brave enough and find my own way. Relying on Indian GPS (roll down window and ask method).
I asked one person, who was so knowledgeable and helpful that I didnt need to ask anyone else.

I quoted your post because that guy told me specifically not to cross any railway track and keep heading for wherever the two way road (with divider) took me. I dont remember the exact distance, but except for my lunch stop and my chat with this helpful guy, we crossed Belgaum and reached the Pune bound highway in about 15 minutes.

Edit:
From Chorla
- Piranwadi cross
- follow what is stated on Google maps as 54/ 4A
- at Gogte circle take a clight left to stay on the divided road
- the road takes a slight right and then a left. keep following the divider
- pass hotel sanman deluxe (on left) and hotel adarsha palace on right (or pull over for lunch as we did!)
- at rani chanamma statue, take a left and head towards sankeshwar

I am not sure if this was the same route as stated by you. But I can confirm that we did not cross any railway line or see any Big Bazaar/ LIC building. I assume if we follow this route in the opposite direction we would reach Chorla ghat turnoff sooner too.

Last edited by selfdrive : 15th October 2013 at 12:28.
Old 15th October 2013, 15:50   #1159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I am not sure if this was the same route as stated by you. But I can confirm that we did not cross any railway line or see any Big Bazaar/ LIC building. I assume if we follow this route in the opposite direction we would reach Chorla ghat turnoff sooner too.
If you had crossed the railway line, you would have seen big bazar and LIC building and it would merged with the road you took at Gogte Circle.
I think the route you took in Belgaum is the best and easiest one for passing through.
Old 18th October 2013, 00:11   #1160
BHPian

Any recent updates on this route? I'm travelling to Goa from Pune on sunday. My initial plan was to take the Amboli-Sawantwadi-Goa route but I'm now considering the Chorla ghat route.

Return journey would be via Kankavli-Phonda-Kolhapur so any updates on this route welcome too.
Old 18th October 2013, 09:31   #1161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnilup View Post
If you had crossed the railway line, you would have seen big bazar and LIC building and it would merged with the road you took at Gogte Circle.
I think the route you took in Belgaum is the best and easiest one for passing through.
Yes, I found that later on Google maps. for some reason my data plan turned out very expensive on roaming, so was a bit sceptical of spending more on using it in Belgaum. I guess we just thought it would be better to get lost for a change and find something new! the guy insisted at least 4 times not to cross the railway line, as if there was some kind of spooky place beyond it.
In hindsight, I would say this is the best route I could suggest to go through Belgaum to Chorla.
Just follow the divider, I will remember that piece of advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlehead View Post
Any recent updates on this route? I'm travelling to Goa from Pune on sunday. My initial plan was to take the Amboli-Sawantwadi-Goa route but I'm now considering the Chorla ghat route.

Return journey would be via Kankavli-Phonda-Kolhapur so any updates on this route welcome too.
Getting to Amboli from Sankeshwar is quite a pain. the road is very narrow, no divider and passes through a lot of small villages. So progress is quite slow. The road surface is also quite bad. Amboli ghat itself is ok, but nowhere as scenic as Chorla.

Chorla ghat route has amazing views, road condition is very good except for a few small patches in the ghat itself. But nothing to worry about. After you cross Sanquelim, I think there is a fork. One route (right) takes you to North goa (Mapusa) and the other (left) to Panaji. Please watch out for this fork depending on where you want to go.

Unless you have something to do in Phonda, I would recommend Chorla for the return route as well.

Last edited by selfdrive : 18th October 2013 at 09:36.
Old 18th October 2013, 15:28   #1162
BHPian

I am planning to drive for the first time from Mumbai to Goa in early November with family. Planning on Mumbai- Pune-Satara-Kolhapur-Nipani-Uttur-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi route.

Are the road conditions post Nipani ok on SH134 and SH 121? Advice much appreciated on route planning
Old 19th October 2013, 10:38   #1163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Edit:
From Chorla
- Piranwadi cross
- follow what is stated on Google maps as 54/ 4A
- at Gogte circle take a clight left to stay on the divided road
- the road takes a slight right and then a left. keep following the divider
- pass hotel sanman deluxe (on left) and hotel adarsha palace on right (or pull over for lunch as we did!)
- at rani chanamma statue, take a left and head towards sankeshwar
Getting out of Belgaum this way, I assume that one would pass Hotel Ramdev on the right before joining the highway. The difficulty in the reverse direction is to get off the highway at the right place to come down the road towards Belgaum, with Ramdev on the left. After that, it is essentially a straight road through Belgaum to get to Londa in the old days - now one has to take the right turn at Peeranwadi to go to Chorla - Goa.
Is there a surefire way to identify the point to leave the highway coming to Belgaum from Kolhapur to be able to catch this route?
Old 19th October 2013, 11:45   #1164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Is there a surefire way to identify the point to leave the highway coming to Belgaum from Kolhapur to be able to catch this route?
Read points 1 - 4 in this post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3218116

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 20th October 2013, 19:55   #1165
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, that is indeed a very precise and useful guide.
Old 21st October 2013, 10:47   #1166
BHPian

Hi,

I wish to drive back from Goa using Amboli Sankeshwar route late November. Leaving at around 10 AM. I have the option of either leaving on a Sunday or on a Monday. I wish to leave when there will be least traffic. Can anyone tell me which day will be best for a smoother traffic ? Sunday or Monday. I know Sunday is a holiday but lot of cars are lined up to enter the city on Sunday. So confused.
Old 21st October 2013, 10:56   #1167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv1 View Post
I am planning to drive for the first time from Mumbai to Goa in early November with family. Planning on Mumbai- Pune-Satara-Kolhapur-Nipani-Uttur-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi route.

Are the road conditions post Nipani ok on SH134 and SH 121? Advice much appreciated on route planning
Till Nipani its as smooth as butter post that a bit bumpy at a few places but the rural scenery more than makes up for it.

Go ahead you will enjoy the trip
Old 21st October 2013, 14:31   #1168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv1 View Post

Road till Kolhapur is good (but slightly slow due to numerous toll nakas) then till Nipani, it's excellent and beyond that it's ok but scenic.

There's a lot of information on this thread using Chorla route which I used while going to Goa in May-June. You may want to consider that at least one way. It is much better than Amboli route in my opinion.
Old 21st October 2013, 14:53   #1169
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a quick update - I returned from North Goa last tuesday (15 Oct) via Chorla and route is great. Slightly broken in the Goa area and some of the waterfalls have disappeared with rains reduced but it is still a scenic drive. If you can hit the Chorla ghat in the morning around 9-10am either way, it's a treat to drive through fog and watch the moving clouds in the valley.

By the way, this NH4 entrance into Belgaum from Kolhapur via KLE road and return seems to be strictly monitored by traffic police. Nowadays there is a traffic interceptor vehicle with camera posted there. Since you leave the fabulous NH4 and continue in the similar mood, you would easily drive in 60-80 speed. But the catch is that this road has speed limit of 40kmph only! Having missed this part, I had to pay the fine for driving at 52kmph - 300INR in government treasury
Old 22nd October 2013, 14:56   #1170
Senior - BHPian

My uncle drove down to Pune last night from Bangalore. Took him 13 hours with a dinner break at Kolhapur.

He reported the road from Satara to Pune is bad. It was his comment: "Not worth the toll money they ask for at all."

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks