Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2016, 10:07   #1906
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Just wanted to know the difference between Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary Route and Ramanagar Route to Anmod. Is the Wildlife Sanctuary Road safe enough to travel ? Which route will be preferable ?

Thanks Guys.
I traveled that route to Goa on the 6th-7th of May on recommendation from Ertigiat.
I negotiated the Bhimgad Sanctuary road in the morning at 7:15am in my OHC. The route is smooth except at the edges, which you'll be forced to take when there's any oncoming traffic (it is very narrow). I also had to wait for approx 5 minutes at a train crossing there. But I found it safe enough to drive on. Unfortunately we spotted no animals.
I assume the Khanapur road will be wider, same as the road on the outskirts of Belgaum. I'll be taking that route when I return in the first week of June since I plan to start at night as usual.
The Bhimgad route cuts 15-20 kms but will be approximately the same with regards to time as compared to the Khanapur route as per a few locals whom I indulged in a conversation at the level crossing.
Also as it it already mentioned several times on this thread, the Bhimgad Sanctuary route is open only from 6am to 6pm.
We're presently lazing in Margao and roaming Goa based from here.
Dr.Sav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 18:52   #1907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnilup View Post
Bhimgad route is shorter by ~20kms. I am told that the roads are closed from 7pm- 7am (not sure of the timings). No safety issue there.
The Ramnagar route has wider roads as compared to Bhimgad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sav View Post
I traveled that route to Goa on the 6th-7th of May on recommendation from Ertigiat.
I negotiated the Bhimgad Sanctuary road in the morning at 7:15am in my OHC. The route is smooth except at the edges, which you'll be forced to take when there's any oncoming traffic (it is very narrow). I also had to wait for approx 5 minutes at a train crossing there. But I found it safe enough to drive on. Unfortunately we spotted no animals.
I assume the Khanapur road will be wider, same as the road on the outskirts of Belgaum. I'll be taking that route when I return in the first week of June since I plan to start at night as usual.
The Bhimgad route cuts 15-20 kms but will be approximately the same with regards to time as compared to the Khanapur route as per a few locals whom I indulged in a conversation at the level crossing.
Also as it it already mentioned several times on this thread, the Bhimgad Sanctuary route is open only from 6am to 6pm.
We're presently lazing in Margao and roaming Goa based from here.
Thanks Guys. I just drove to Goa today morning and came via the Bhimgad Route. As you rightly said, it is a bit narrow but no major issues as such. But I found the Anmod Ghat Road very twisty. Very deep turns at short distances.
Left Pune at 6 and reach South Goa Resort at 3. Took a bit longer than i expected. Total distance covered : 490 kms. Had some traffic at Belgavi. Took only a single break for B'fast at Sai International Kolhapur. Met a BHPian there named Savio i think and we greeted each other. We both had the LTD Sticker.

Am here for 4 more days and then back to Pune. Thinking of returning via the Amboli Route to avoid Belgavi Traffic.

Totally drained out now. Going back to Sleep.
Cheers.
Old 25th May 2016, 09:43   #1908
Senior - BHPian

Depending on the time of day, Amboli may just mean exchanging Goa and Sawantwadi traffic for that in Belgaum.
The ONLY way to beat traffic at least one end of the drive is an early start, 5 am at the latest.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 18:37   #1909

Hi All,

Has anybody recently travelled through Amboli Ghat. I am plannng to leave on 4th June from Pune and heading to Candolim.. I have also been through Chorla ghat but it take long time due to traffic in Belgavi and then very narrow road in the Chorla Ghat.
Old 31st May 2016, 11:28   #1910
BHPian

Will be travelling to Goa from Mumbai on 10th June and onward journey to Manipal-Bangalore-Hampi-Mumbai. 2 queries:-

1. As monsoon will set in hopefully by 10th june, which is the suggested route to Goa : Chorla Ghat or Khanapur-Mollem. I will stay in south goa (varca or down south). Please suggest how the route will be during heavy rain.

2. I will leave Mumbai by 4.30 am. Is this time ok to avoid most of the traffic in kolhapur and belgaum
Old 31st May 2016, 13:09   #1911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashd View Post
Will be travelling to Goa from Mumbai on 10th June and onward journey to Manipal-Bangalore-Hampi-Mumbai. 2 queries:-

1. As monsoon will set in hopefully by 10th june, which is the suggested route to Goa : Chorla Ghat or Khanapur-Mollem. I will stay in south goa (varca or down south). Please suggest how the route will be during heavy rain.

2. I will leave Mumbai by 4.30 am. Is this time ok to avoid most of the traffic in kolhapur and belgaum
Hello Sir, I would recommend you to travel through Amboli. You might face some traffic once you cross Mapusa till Panjim but it is worth, as the journey through Amboli ghats is simply mesmerizing during monsoon.

Don’t worry about traffic in Kolhapur as you won’t be entering the city.

Sample itinerary considering your start time,

Start from Mumbai – 4.30 AM

Break for Breakfast – 8.30 AM – Hotel Abhiruchi – Wai Phata

Break for Lunch – 1.00 PM Hotel Minerva Paradise, Ajara

Or

Break for lunch – 1.30/1.45 PM – Any hotel in Amboli

Spend some time in Water Falls – 2.30/3.30

Reach Varca – 6.30 PM
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 17:14   #1912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Hello Sir, I would recommend you to travel through Amboli. You might face some traffic once you cross Mapusa till Panjim but it is worth, as the journey through Amboli ghats is simply mesmerizing during monsoon.

Don’t worry about traffic in Kolhapur as you won’t be entering the city.

Sample itinerary considering your start time,

Start from Mumbai – 4.30 AM

Break for Breakfast – 8.30 AM – Hotel Abhiruchi – Wai Phata

Break for Lunch – 1.00 PM Hotel Minerva Paradise, Ajara

Or

Break for lunch – 1.30/1.45 PM – Any hotel in Amboli

Spend some time in Water Falls – 2.30/3.30

Reach Varca – 6.30 PM
Hi Ertigiat,
Thanks for the route information. So far was planning to go via chorla or Anmod route. Will definitely consider Amboli route. I heard a good patch of the route has horrible road condition. Is it still the same or road condition improved.
kashd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 13:58   #1913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashd View Post
Hi Ertigiat,
Thanks for the route information. So far was planning to go via chorla or Anmod route. Will definitely consider Amboli route. I heard a good patch of the route has horrible road condition. Is it still the same or road condition improved.
The road condition of Amboli route is at par with Chorla route or rather slightly better. NH4A is in very good condition. Chorla route would be least preferred to reach South Goa. The reason for recommending Amboli was because of its scenic nature during monsoon. Trust me you won’t regret the route taken.
Old 2nd June 2016, 15:08   #1914
Senior - BHPian

The only question in the first month or so of the monsoon season is of the landslides in the ghats. Is there any place that is a better choice than others on this count?
Old 5th June 2016, 14:03   #1915
BHPian

Please ensure you don't fall in the trap of taking the bypass for Sawantwadi after Amboli Ghat. The bypass is very narrow with literally no road for about 2 km. I traveled to Candolim from Mumbai in Mid May. While on the way back took the Chorla Ghat route.
Old 6th June 2016, 18:10   #1916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arishi1 View Post
Please ensure you don't fall in the trap of taking the bypass for Sawantwadi after Amboli Ghat. The bypass is very narrow with literally no road for about 2 km. I traveled to Candolim from Mumbai in Mid May. While on the way back took the Chorla Ghat route.
I agree. There is a stretch which goes through the forest with no roads at all. And google shows this route due to the shorter distance.
Can someone suggest which turns to avoid between kochi panvel highway and amboli ghat?
Old 6th June 2016, 19:04   #1917
BHPian

Did Goa-Pune today. Started at 5.30AM from Margao and reached Hinjewadi at 1pm. Took Margao-Dharbandoda-Anmod-Ramnagar-Belgao route today. Got thrashed by rain around Belgao. Roads in KA side of Anmod are great now unlike few months back. What really drains are the endless diversions after Kolhapur and unruly traffic. In that regard, ill rate KA side of AH47 with better infra and less traffic.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 19:27   #1918
BHPian

During onset of Monsoon which ghat is considered safe? Chorla/Amboli/Ponda?

I wish to travel to Goa on 8th and return on 10th.

Will some regular travellers reply...
Old 6th June 2016, 20:01   #1919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
During onset of Monsoon which ghat is considered safe? Chorla/Amboli/Ponda?

I wish to travel to Goa on 8th and return on 10th.

Will some regular travellers reply...
All the abovementioned ghats are same in monsoon. By same I mean the possibility of landslides is the same. Just drive carefully and try to avoid driving at night.
Ketan T is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 06:49   #1920
Senior - BHPian

The first few weeks of the season pose the greatest risk, when rocks that have baked through out summer and cracked get washed away. As early as the 10th this year, there is very little risk.

I really don't know what one can do to minimise the risk if one must travel except perhaps not to park and wait for something to happen! None of the roads have safety margins between the hill and the driving lane, and I don't think any have any kind of nets. Going by what happens on the e way with alarming frequency, I don't know if the latter are really helpful.

Last edited by Sawyer : 7th June 2016 at 06:52.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed