Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2016, 13:06   #1921
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveekKumar View Post
I agree. There is a stretch which goes through the forest with no roads at all. And google shows this route due to the shorter distance.
Can someone suggest which turns to avoid between kochi panvel highway and amboli ghat?
The bypass road meets NH17 at Banda. It is actually an inconspicuous road, easy to miss! It is a 4-way junction, with a small road going to right, which should be avoided!
Old 12th June 2016, 01:44   #1922
BHPian

Hello Team BHPians

I am Dr. Vivek and I have just joined this wonderful community. This is my first post after my membership was approved an hour ago. My heartfelt thanks to the admins and moderators for accepting me as a member of this esteemed forum. Bombay/Pune- Belgaum- Bangalore and Belgaum--Goa/ Maharashtra Kokan are my most frequented routes. You can say, I am kinda born and brought up on the lovely NH4. Will be giving my formal introduction in the relevant section.

Coming to the topic -- couple of days back, few members wanted to know the present condition of "Tilari ghat" route to Goa on this particular thread. I wish to update you on the same. Since this thread talks about Mumbai- Pune to Goa routes, Tilari ghat route qualifies to be one but that which is largely unknown to a majority of folks. Well, rightly so given its road conditions. I took Tilari ghat from Belgaum about 3 months back. Following are the updates-

1.Belgaum to Patne phata (on the Belgaum-Vengurla MSH 121 highway) remains a smooth and decently wide 2 lane road. 20kms of road within KA is tad better than MH part that follows further.

2. Patne phata -- Motanwadi -- Tilari Nagar- up till the start of ghat road proper -- This is a decently smooth surfaced road with no potholes but strictly a single lane. At times, even bikers got to step off the road if a heavy vehicle barges from opposite side. Nevertheless, it's a beautiful ride into wilderness and lush green hills with assortments of fields and tiny villages.

3. Tilari ghat proper -- Arguably the steepest of ghats I have seen in Sahyadris and Kokan of Maharashtra, which is at par with Neral-Matheran ghat road near Pune/Mumbai. Tilari ghat is a 7 km long road from base to top, this should give you a fair idea of its steepness compared to other ghats viz. Amboli, Chorla, Anmod and many others. At present, this ghat road remains in a horrendous condition, well, it has been so past a decade or more. But honestly speaking, it is relatively better than what it was just 1 year ago. There are reasons why this ghat is always in a pathetic state. So, as you descend down the ghat, the surface is severely rough with no tar at many places. You may find the sharp and tight curves adventurous though. There are no craters as such today which we used to see earlier. Road surface is doable but extremely bumpy and rough. Halfway through, a 1 km section in between out of nowhere has been beautifully repaired. But post that, again it's a bad road till base. From the end of the ghat, road is good and has decent surface all the way till Dodamarg and beyond till MH-Goa border. Goa always has good roads as you all know. You touch Assnora in Goa through this route. I took 25 mins to ascend this 7km long Tilari ghat on my way back.

As you might have expected, I do not recommend Tilari ghat route as of now. With the onset of monsoons, it will surely deteriorate further. However, talks are on about repairing it and will let you know when it is done. Chorla, Amboli and Anmod routes continue to remain the best and standard. Scenic wise, every good or bad road in the entire Western ghats is very beautiful in its own way.

Did you know, Tilari is just as much a shortest route from Belgaum to Goa as the famous Chorla ?? - - both are 109 kms from Belgaum exit. I can post some pics of Tilari route if anyone is interested. Let me know.

I will continue to contribute every now and then on this thread as well as in the entire forum.

Thank you
vivek95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 04:50   #1923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post

I am Dr. Vivek and I have just joined this wonderful community.

As you might have expected, I do not recommend Tilari ghat route as of now. With the onset of monsoons, it will surely deteriorate further. However, talks are on about repairing it and will let you know when it is done. Chorla, Amboli and Anmod routes continue to remain the best and standard. Scenic wise, every good or bad road in the entire Western ghats is very beautiful in its own way.
Good to see you here; I had come across your review of Chorla ghat elsewhere on the net some years ago, before using it myself for the first time in 2013. When I visited Wildernest there in 2009, I could not go there via Belgaum, because the road then was horrendous and I used the Chorla road from Goa both ways.

I agree with you, without having seen it, that Tilari must be very scenic, because I have seen many other ghats in the Sahyadri region that are all scenic in their own way, and even more so after a couple of months into the monsoons. By then the landslides issue is largely over, and the hills and waterfalls are a spectacular combination. With every imaginable shade of green, and in part, red earth.

The other thing about ghats with poor road surfaces is that one way to still go there to see a new twist on scenic, to a place like Tilari, would be to descend it and ascend back on Chorla/Amboli as convenient. Ascending a bad road is twice as difficult because one often has to give up momentum over potholes and road breaks. Descending is just a matter of going slowly in second or even first at times, and there isn't much stress on the car then.

Tilari in August must be a sight to see. I think I shall do it this year in my Gypsy.
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 10:39   #1924
BHPian

In line with the topic of this thread, lets talk about road widening works that are presently underway in some parts of Belgaum.

Please refer to the below post of mine posted on Bangalore--Goa thread. I am not sure if I can cross post the same content here. If you are taking Belgaum--Chorla /Belgaum- NH4A route ( for Mumbai/ Pune to Goa, Dandeli,Karwar,Ulavi,Anshi etc. ), it might be of some help. I came up with that post because I have often seen cars from Mumbai / Pune taking the ''Khanapur road'' rather than ''Congress road'' in Belgaum city and getting stuck in crazy traffic due to road widening work. In the below post, you will get an idea where the construction activity is exactly happening and what is its present status. I am sure, regulars are already aware of the developments.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3995174
Old 14th June 2016, 07:33   #1925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvord12 View Post
Hello Suzuki San! I'll be driving down to Goa from Mumbai on March 19th.

I was wondering, which is the better route, the NH 4 or the NH 66/17?

According to the internet, the NH 66 is more scenic but has winding turns and is slightly dangerous, while the NH 4 is far more safer. I would love to hear your inputs regarding this for a first time traveler.

I have traveled extensively between Mumbai and Pune via the expressway, if that helps.

Oh and, this is the first time I'll be driving such a long distance and out of state, so I had a few queries.

Is it safe to drive around in Goa with an out of state registered car, or should I just take the bus?

Any important things to be careful about in North and South Goa?

Any car thefts or scams that I should be careful about?

It'd be really great if you could help me out with this!
Hi Alvord12,

Sorry I did not reply to your query.
I have been out of India with no access to Internet for the last 4 months - hard to believe but true!!
Anyway, I see you have got numerous replies from other BHP'ians.
Do write and let us know how your trip went.
Regards,
SS
Old 18th June 2016, 23:58   #1926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Good to see you here; I had come across your review of Chorla ghat elsewhere on the net some years ago, before using it myself for the first time in 2013. When I visited Wildernest there in 2009, I could not go there via Belgaum, because the road then was horrendous and I used the Chorla road from Goa both ways.

Tilari in August must be a sight to see. I think I shall do it this year in my Gypsy.
Thank you for the warm welcome Yes, I reviewed Chorla route in March 2013 elsewhere in another forum. Good to know you are willing to try Tilari ghat route, be wary of road conditions in monsoons though. Roads uptill the start of the ghat should remain decent enough with occasional potholes due to heavy lash of rains. But ghat road proper would be extremely bad then. Nevertheless, Tilari is heaven in August. Unlike Lonavalas,Lavasas and Mahabys around Pune, Tilari has no facilities, no good roads, no posh resorts or restaurants, no fuel stations but the location is at par with others. If possible, visit these two pictersque points in Tilari on your way to Goa--

1. Swapnavel point / Kayinat resort. -- My personal most favourite view point in the entire Tilari region. . It's 10 kms from the Tilari Nagar village/hamlet off the main Tilari ghat road and road leading to the point is rough. To actually get to Swapnavel, you need to drive alongside a water canal for about 2 kms for the last part. There is an entry fee. Resort did not pick up, but its totally worth a visit. Spectacular views here ! There is already a thread on Swapnavel point in the forum. Check--

http:// http://www.team-bhp.com/foru...s-belgaum.html

2. A view point located just about a km before the start of Tilari ghat proper ( 4 kms from Tilari Nagar village ). This point is right on the way to Tilari ghat to Goa. Nice one again.

Also,sharing a recent video of Amboli Ghat ( as of 25th may 2016). The ghat road looks supersmooth akin to Chorla.
Video credits -- resp. owners

Here is something for tourists visiting the spectacular Amboli waterfalls. Came across this news clip in a Marathi daily which talks about prohibiting private cars from stopping at Amboli waterfall point in the ghats. Tourists who wish to visit the waterfall are supposed to take a specially arranged bus from Amboli bus stand it seems.
Source -- http://www.loksatta.com/maharashtra-...arkar-1235425/

Moderators - I am sharing the news and video on Amboli ghat / waterfalls because it falls on the way from Mumbai/Pune to Goa, relevant to this thread.
Old 19th June 2016, 06:38   #1927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Unlike Lonavalas,Lavasas and Mahabys around Pune, Tilari has no facilities, no good roads, no posh resorts or restaurants, no fuel stations but the location is at par with others. If possible, visit these two pictersque points in Tilari on your way to Goa--
And, you forgot to add, no hordes of people that make the places you refer to, often unpleasant places. And even if the people aren't there, they leave behind their trash of chips packets in undegradable garish colours, with the empty liquor bottles. As far as I am concerned, the worse the road the better. Except when one needs to use it to only transit through of course.

Thank you for the view points; I shall look for them.
Old 24th June 2016, 16:22   #1928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
On a completely different note. Do not eat at Goa Ves. Aint so good. I did see another option bang opposite but dont recollect the name.

Cheers,
Raj
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaandBaaz View Post
The name of the other restaurant is Kaveri. Its good for snacks place. Clean washrooms.
Since Raj says the other restaurant was bang opposite Goa Ves, it should be ''Hotel Satyawati Palace'' -- exactly opposite Goa ves on other side of NH4 i.e while driving from Mumbai/Pune towards Goa, Satyawati Palace falls on left side atop Tawandi ghat where one is supposed to exit NH4 and turn right towards Amboli. Goa ves and Kaveri both are located on right side separated by the road running towards Amboli in between.

I am keen to know if anyone has tried newly opened Smilestone Motel on NH4 at MIDC Gokul Shirgaon,Kolhapur. Its the branch outlet of the famed Smilestone of Pune--Nagar--Aurangabad highway. Opened around 6 months back, this one falls on left side while driving from Belgaum towards Kolhapur, about 8 kms before Kolhapur at MIDC Gokul Shirgaon opp Gokul milk factory. Smilestone is the most preferred stopover on Pune--Aurangabad highway akin to Sai international hotel on Pune--Kolhapur sector. Curious to know if the newly opened Smilestone on NH4 is of the same standards. It looks nice and clean from outside.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 18:06   #1929
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know, Smilestone was/is a Prasanna Travels venture. There was a decent one on the left after passing Satara, heading to Kolhapur, but I think that is shut down now.
Old 25th June 2016, 07:16   #1930
BHPian

We are confusing Milestone with Smilestone! Smilestone is venture of 'Wadeshwar' restaurant. Smilestone opening near Kolhapur is news to me. And indeed good one!
Old 25th June 2016, 09:06   #1931
Senior - BHPian

I don't think I am confused, see: http://www.smilestonemotel.com
And:http://www.prajsmilestone.com/about-us.html
It is possible the one after Satara was/is Milestone - I don't remember noticing it the last couple of drives.

Last edited by Sawyer : 25th June 2016 at 09:11.
Old 25th June 2016, 15:39   #1932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I don't think I am confused, see: http://www.smilestonemotel.com
And:http://www.prajsmilestone.com/about-us.html
It is possible the one after Satara was/is Milestone - I don't remember noticing it the last couple of drives.
I didn't mean to offend!
I had a look at the URLs and both mention that it is a JV between Wadeshwar and Prasanna. But one is called Praj Smilestone and another one 'just' Smilestone! It doesn't matter much as long as Praj Smilestone is equally good as the original Smilestone.
Satara Mile stone on the other hand is very well functional. All private luxury buses (Konduskar, et al) stop there.
Old 26th June 2016, 06:08   #1933
Senior - BHPian

No offence taken. I have probably missed seeing that one in recent years because with my now preferred early starts, Sai is the closest destination that has woken up.
Old 27th June 2016, 08:35   #1934
BHPian

Yes. Satara Milestone probably doesn't open before 8am. I too usually take Sai for my early starts
Old 17th July 2016, 10:52   #1935
BHPian

Pleased to report that Amboli ghat is in a pristine condition after a month's rainfall. The 16 km long ghat has excellent supersmooth roads akin to Chorla with hardly 500 metres rough patch in between caused by recent rains. Needles to say, the place has come mindblowingly alive and the main waterfall is in its full glory. Rains have subsided though which was probably the reason I found the amount of waterfall to be relatively less. The lush green hills are embellished with several other small waterfalls. Again needless to say, this is a typical picturesque view seen everywhere in the Western ghats now.

Kindly excuse the poor quality pics

This is the road condition of the entire length of Amboli ghat
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-photo1927.jpg

Below is how the Belgaum--Amboli road MSH 180 looks like ( 60 kms ). It is smooth but slightly uneven road for about 85% and patchy with small potholes for the rest 15%.
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-photo1922.jpg

This is the last 5-6 kms before Amboli town after you exit Kolhapur district and enter Sindhudurg district

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-photo1923.jpg

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-photo1924.jpg

Overall, Belgaum-Amboli can be termed as a good road. It is a part of the Belgaum--Vengurla Maharashtra state highway no.180 and has recently been approved for upgradation to National highway. The uniqueness of Amboli route is that it has been existing with mostly good to decent roads since time immemorial whereas Chorla was born only 3.5 years back. Biggest USP of Amboli over Chorla or Anmod is availibility of amenities viz. hotels,eateries,fuel stations, mobile network,resorts etc. Less curves and lot of straight stretches come as a repsite for those with motion sickness. Chorla and Anmod take an upperhand for being supersmooth right from the Belgaum end with dense forests all along. Altogether, Belgaumites are spoilt for smooth road options to get into Western ghats/Konkan/ Goa Amboli was my regular route for over 12+ years until Chorla was born in Jan 2013. Felt good revisiting it after a gap of 3 years and glad to see good roads all through, just like old times.
vivek95 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks