Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2019, 18:44   #2671
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevivek View Post

Given the Amboli route also appears to be in bad shape, the route through Chorla ghats seems to be the only real option from Belgaum towards Goa

Where I need some suggestions is that, as others have also pointed out there are big traffic pile ups near Ponda and the Mandovi bridge.

So is there any alternate route to Bernaulim which avoids Ponda once one has reached Sanquelim?

I went to Benaulim /Colva in April and took the Chorla ghat route.
The Chorla ghat is fantastic.
After crossing Chorla and entering Goa, I followed Google maps and it took me through the shortest route and not through Ponda.
The route sort off bypasses Ponda due to heavy highway construction going on. From Chorla it's about 3 hrs. to Benaulim/Colva.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2019, 18:56   #2672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
After crossing Chorla and entering Goa, I followed Google maps and it took me through the shortest route and not through Ponda.
The route sort off bypasses Ponda due to heavy highway construction going on. From Chorla it's about 3 hrs. to Benaulim/Colva.
Thanks for the prompt response and that's good to know.

Will be great if you can give more detail on the route taken.
bevivek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2019, 19:11   #2673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the prompt response and that's good to know.

Will be great if you can give more detail on the route taken.
Once you cross Chorla, just enter your destination in Google maps. You will be guided though the best route.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-screenshot_20190512223952_maps.jpg  

ruzbehxyz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 09:24   #2674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So is there any alternate route to Bernaulim which avoids Ponda once one has reached Sanquelim?
Use this default GMaps route to reach Benaulim from Sanquelim. I used the same route to go to Betalbatim in Jan 2019. It will bypass Ponda, has less potential for traffic jams than other routes and will take you approx. 90 minutes (depending on the time of the day).

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 13th May 2019 at 09:25.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 10:18   #2675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Use this default GMaps route to reach Benaulim from Sanquelim. It will bypass Ponda, has less potential for traffic jams than other routes
Thanks Vikram, much appreciated

One question: I see from the map that near the Laxminarayan Temple, Google maps shows two routes, a grey coloured one via Candola, Ovrem and Tivrem and the blue coloured one via Pandavas cave, Mallikarjun and Khandepar. The latter is shown to be faster by around 10 minutes with a slightly lower distance.

Gmaps blue coloured one is the recommended route I understand. Any pros and cons of the other route?

Vivek

Last edited by bevivek : 13th May 2019 at 10:33. Reason: Additions
Old 13th May 2019, 11:15   #2676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gmaps blue coloured one is the recommended route I understand. Any pros and cons of the other route?
Con - I think that will take you via the Zuari bridge, where construction work is going on (at least was going on, when I visited Goa in Jan - no idea about current status).

Pro - Seems more straightforward to follow, at least from the GMaps visual, than the default GMaps route.

Take your pick.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 23:27   #2677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
I went to Benaulim /Colva in April and took the Chorla ghat route.
The Chorla ghat is fantastic.
Would like to understand, did this route go through the usgao route or some other route, at which stretch does it differ, 3 hrs seems quite a bit longer than normal.
hubolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 05:27   #2678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubolt View Post
Would like to understand, did this route go through the usgao route or some other route, at which stretch does it differ, 3 hrs seems quite a bit longer than normal.

Please type Chorla to Colva beach in Google maps. You will know the exact route. It shows 2 hours something. I said 3 hours as a maximum considering the time of day and other factors. By taking the same route, I reached Belgaum in 3.5 hours after starting from Colva at 10 am.
Old 14th May 2019, 09:26   #2679
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

I will be staying at Swapnagandha, Chorla end of May, travelling from Mumbai. Plan to leave early on 30th May, which part of the Chorla ghat is notorious for Jams.
Old 14th May 2019, 13:53   #2680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagarpradhan85 View Post
Having read posts here, it appears that Anmod is in a bad state. However google thinks it is the fastest! That makes me wonder if Chorla route is slow or there is something I am missing beyond the Chorla ghat.
I noticed that drive from Chorla to Colva shows about 2 hrs for 70 odd kilometers. Isn't that high?
Anmod is closed for road widening (not in bad shape). Time shown by google might because of traffic condition on that particular day (or particular time stretch).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Since you are traveling to Colva (S.Goa) Chorla would be the fastest and best route.
Once you have descended the ghat, you will reach Sanquelim from under the bridge. At this point, you need to turn right for Panaji and onwards to South.
No need to travel all the way to Sanquelim. Once you descent ghat take left turn after "Laxmi Kaju Outlet" towards Honda.

Quote:
I am going from Pune to Bernaulim (South Goa - between Colva and Cavelossim) next weekend

Given the Amboli route also appears to be in bad shape, the route through Chorla ghats seems to be the only real option from Belgaum towards Goa

Where I need some suggestions is that, as others have also pointed out there are big traffic pile ups near Ponda and the Mandovi bridge.
Recent reports suggest Amboli route is in good condition. But on going road work between Panjim and Margao makes Amboli route non-viable option. As mentioned earlier no need to travel till Sanquelim. Your shortest (possibly best route) is Belgaum - Chorla - Keri Sattari - Honda - Ponda bypass - Margao - Benaulim. Mandovi bridge doesn't come in picture if you take Chorla route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Use this default GMaps route to reach Benaulim from Sanquelim. I used the same route to go to Betalbatim in Jan 2019. It will bypass Ponda, has less potential for traffic jams than other routes and will take you approx. 90 minutes (depending on the time of the day)
Vikram, I guess you took longer route.

Quote:
Other route is absolutely NO-GO. Plenty of road work between Panjim and Margao. Please follow this route. start point is outskirts of Belgaum and end point is Benaulim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Hi Guys,

I will be staying at Swapnagandha, Chorla end of May, travelling from Mumbai. Plan to leave early on 30th May, which part of the Chorla ghat is notorious for Jams.
There is no particular part or spot which is notorious for traffic jam. Overall road width is narrow till you reach Swapnagandha. Lot of things contribute for slower traffic in Chorla ghat. Heavy vehicle getting stuck while crossing each other, accidents which have become very frequent these days, slow moving heavy vehicles (leading to traffic pile up). But if it is your lucky day you may just sail through without having an eventful day at Chorla ghat.
Ertigiat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 00:12   #2681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Please follow this route. start point is outskirts of Belgaum and end point is Benaulim.
Thanks Yogesh, that makes it very clear.

Good to know that Amboli is becoming ok again. It used to be a lovely route and it has some nostalgic value for me since I used it first on my honeymoon when my wife (who also loves the drive) and I used it to go from Tarkarli to Belgaum and onwards.
Old 18th May 2019, 10:33   #2682
BHPian

Can anyone guide me on the names of the retreats in chorla ghat section, has anyone stayed there? Any feedback advice? Thanks.
Old 18th May 2019, 12:06   #2683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubolt View Post
Can anyone guide me on the names of the retreats in chorla ghat section, has anyone stayed there? Any feedback advice? Thanks.
There are 2 well known ones, Swapnagandha and Wildernest belonging to the same management but about 2 kms apart. Will be staying at Swapnagandha for the first time end of May, will update then. Alternatively do read the reviews on tripadvisor as well.
Old 30th June 2019, 19:14   #2684
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Has anyone used the Chorla Ghat road recently and if so, could you please update on the condition. Need a quick reply please as a friend is leaving Goa for Bombay early tomorrow morning.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
SS
Old 7th July 2019, 06:20   #2685
Senior - BHPian

No replies to the preceding post?!
I am making my annual monsoon visit to Goa on July 22 - I usually allow a month of heavy rains in the ghats so whatever landslides have to happen, do so in that month - and I am planning to use the Chorla route instead of the preferred Amboli one. I am sure that as usual the monsoons would have dealt severely with the Ajra to Amboli sector and also, the two diversions on that sector will be a mess.
I will break journey in Kolhapur to be able to traverse Belgaum/Chorla early enough to beat the traffic in both places, so any update on the road conditions in Chorla would be very helpful.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks