Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2019, 09:56   #2596

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Went last Monday via Chorla and the roads were fantastic all the way to Belgaum. Amboli Ajra route was horrible. Patches, holes all the way and roadworks all the way till Caraswado in Goa. Avoid this route as much as possible and stick to Chorla route.
adriansarita is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 11:10   #2597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
I would anyday stick to the Bhimgad--Anmod--Mollem route for anything that is South i.e around Colva, Madgaon region and hence would suggest you the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
I would recommend Route 2. Doesn't make any sense to drive through Chorla ghat as Vivek has already mentioned about increase in traffic.!
Hi, am back to bombard you guys with some more questions!

Due to a change in plans, I will need to go via Chorla ghat to visit our family deity at Narve first (about 10 kms from Bicholim), and proceed to Betalbatim after that.

After the temple visit, I'd rather come back to Sanquelim than go via Panaji and endure the traffic jams till I cross the Mandovi bridge. With that in mind, which one of the 3 options given by Gmaps (via Sanquelim) would you recommend? As always, preference would be for the route with least probability of congestion

Route 1 (GMaps default)

Route 2

Route 3

Will be using the Anmod route on the return trip.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 28th January 2019 at 11:13.
Old 29th January 2019, 01:04   #2598
BHPian

Hi "Comfortably Numb". I would personally stick to Route No. 1 (GMaps Default) simply because the other 2 routes take you through Ponda and Margao which is bound to slow you down.
You could always check just before starting and choose the shortest/best route.
Cheers,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 11:40   #2599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post

After the temple visit, I'd rather come back to Sanquelim than go via Panaji and endure the traffic jams till I cross the Mandovi bridge. With that in mind, which one of the 3 options given by Gmaps (via Sanquelim) would you recommend? As always, preference would be for the route with least probability of congestion

Route 1 (GMaps default)

Route 2

Route 3

Will be using the Anmod route on the return trip.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Vikram
Route 1 and 3 are with less traffic than route 2. But my experience tells me that route 1 will be fastest.

On return also take the same route till Ponda before you divert towards Anmod. Plan it in a manner that you reach the top by 11 am. Bhimagad route opens at 11 am.

If possible stick to Chorla route. Road surface conditions on Khanapur - Belgaum section are not as good as Jamboti - Belgaum section.
CANPUSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 21:47   #2600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi "Comfortably Numb". I would personally stick to Route No. 1 (GMaps Default)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Route 1 and 3 are with less traffic than route 2. But my experience tells me that route 1 will be fastest..
Thanks for the guidance suzuki san and Canpush. I used route 1 as you guys suggested, and it took me exactly 90 minutes from Bicholim to Nanu resort in Betalbatim, without any jams en route.

@Canpush - I thought Bhimgad route was open from 6 am to 6 pm. Have they changed the timings due to the road widening work?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 4th February 2019, 13:45   #2601
Senior - BHPian

Back from a short Goa trip. I used the Chorla route for the onward and return journeys, and can report that road conditions remain mostly decent, except for the numerous speed breakers till Jamboti. I was quite surprised to find that the traffic on Belgaum-Sanquelim-Belgaum section wasn't as heavy as I'd expected; maybe because I traveled on a Thursday and Saturday. However, I did come across quite a few heavy vehicles (trucks and buses both), despite the so called ban on them using the Chorla route.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 10:12   #2602
Team-BHP Support

Surprisingly, Anmod ghat was still showing as an option in Google maps. Submitted multiple requests to mark route closure. Hopefully, they accept the changes.
Old 8th February 2019, 13:12   #2603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Surprisingly, Anmod ghat was still showing as an option in Google maps. Submitted multiple requests to mark route closure. Hopefully, they accept the changes.
It is showing as an option because it is open for Four wheeler and Two wheeler.

Anmod ghat may not be a feasible option to travel towards Hubli but very much an option when you travel from South Goa towards Belgaum.
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 16:27   #2604
BHPian

I saw a vlog on Youtube last week where the vlogger travelled to North Goa via Ajra-Amboli ghat and stated that the route is not as bad as he was told before travelling. He mentioned that the road has been repaired for most of the part. He travelled in his Audi A-4 and did not complain much about the road condition. Anyone who can validate this? I am travelling to North Goa at the end of this month and would avoid going taking Chorla ghat if Amboli ghat road conditions are better.
T.S. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 18:03   #2605
BHPian

I drove from Bombay to Assagaon Bardez yesterday via Amboli. On the 1st. of December 2018 I travelled from Goa to Bombay by the same route and observed that some road patchwork repair was being carried out. I felt that by the time I drive on this route again the surface of the road should have got sorted. Unfortunately that is not the case, the surface through out is pretty dreadful. The surface of the ghat road is much better, but that has been so for some time. They may have filled in a few potholes and there may be a few kilometres where the surface is smooth but no resurfacing has been done at all. Just for the record I was driving my Ford Endeavour, which normally would swallow anything. Hope this update helps.
Marcus Brutus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 14:29   #2606
BHPian

Update on road trip from Pune to Ponda

Route taken Pune - Belgaum - Chorla - Ponda (Goa)

1) NH from Pune to Belgaum is a treat to drive on. Only irritants were tractors loaded with sugar cane that swung without warning on to the highway.

2) There was checking of documents at the Maharashtra - Karnataka border. We were stopped on both legs of the journey.

3) We stopped at Vithal Kamat's located around 6km from Kini toll plaza. Restrooms were clean and food reasonably tasty.

4) Food at Sankam Residency Belgaum is good. The ambience is quite nice.

5) Karnataka section of road from Belgaum to Goa border is patchy (potholes) in places, but easily handled by our hatchback.

6) There was truck traffic on Chorla ghat, need patience to find an overtaking opportunity.

7) Road from Goa border to Honda is good.

8) From Honda till NH748 road is patchy (potholes)in places, easily handled by our hatchback.

9) NH 748 till Ponda is nice to drive on. A few diversions near Ponda due to roadworks.

Special Thanks to Suzuki San for guidance on route and pit-stops.

Last edited by moralfibre : 18th February 2019 at 10:28. Reason: Added content from subsequent one here.
satshen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 10:24   #2607
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to travel from Mumbai to North Goa (Calungte) on 20 March night. Plan to start from Goregaon at 10pm.

Car - Innova
Occupants - 5 Adults (3 drivers) + 2 kids.

Can you suggest the route to be taken so that we can plot those on GMaps.

Can you help me with Fuel Pump + Restrooms enroute.

We intend to have the following stops.
1 - Pune. Restroom Break and Driver change.
2 - Satara. Restroom Break and Driver change.
3 - Nippani. Breakfast, Restroom Break and Driver change.

Request the experienced travellers to suggest.

Cheers,
Raj
Old 18th February 2019, 10:33   #2608
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I am planning to travel from Mumbai to North Goa (Calungte) on 20 March night. Plan to start from Goregaon at 10pm.

Car - Innova
Occupants - 5 Adults (3 drivers) + 2 kids.
Don't recommend driving with kids for an overnight drive. Suggest you leave at 4am or so the next morning. The amount of time spent sleeping the next day can be better utilised.

Quote:
Can you suggest the route to be taken so that we can plot those on GMaps.
Use This link for detailed map

Quote:
Can you help me with Fuel Pump + Restrooms enroute.

We intend to have the following stops.
1 - Pune. Restroom Break and Driver change.
After crossing Khed Shivapur toll plaza, there is a nice Shell bunk on the left with clean toilets and good fuel. They also have basic coffee and snacks if you want to refresh yourself.

Quote:
2 - Satara. Restroom Break and Driver change.
Not sure.

Quote:
3 - Nippani. Breakfast, Restroom Break and Driver change.
Stop by at Hotel Goa ways which is on the other side of the highway. Don't take Amboli route.
Old 18th February 2019, 10:43   #2609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't recommend driving with kids for an overnight drive. Suggest you leave at 4am or so the next morning. The amount of time spent sleeping the next day can be better utilised.
Thanks. I agree but we don't have any other options as train tickets not available and flight ticket prices have gone exorbitant as this being the Holi Weekend. We are getting our driver with us who can manage the last leg so that we can take some rest to avoid sleeping post reaching plus we have cousins from Chennai flying in so will have to be there by noon.

Quote:
Thanks but this points towards Amboli Ghat.

Mod Note : Please do NOT reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. Additionally, it's inconvenient to quote & reply to such a post.

For the correct way to quote, please see this thread.

Thanks!

Last edited by moralfibre : 18th February 2019 at 10:48. Reason: Formatting. See note in post.
Old 18th February 2019, 10:49   #2610
Team-BHP Support

Thanks but this points towards Amboli Ghat.

My bad, corrected here - Link
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed