Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2018, 09:31   #2461
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
Need suggestions. I will be driving to Goa (Candolim) starting on the 11th of Nov and I intend to take the Chorla route. The plan is to leave on the morning of 11th at around 10 pm, take a night halt by around 8 pm and then proceed to Goa on the 12th. What is the best suggested night halt location (for family) considering the next day I would have to drive 2 or 3 hours max to reach Candolim?
I believe you meant starting on 11th Nov at around 10 AM..

Belgaum should be your destination for halt. It makes perfect sense to drive 6/4 lane highway all the way till Belgaum. Take break and proceed after a good night's sleep.

Our friend and T-bhpain Vivek woould be of great help in letting you know decent place to stay for a night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Taking Bhimgad route from Belgaum to Goa has an advantage of spotting some wildlife. I had encountered a jackal from very close when I was on a bike. I had to stop to let it cross and that guy in turned stopped and stared at me for a good few seconds but fleed the spot when I was about to click a pic with my phone camera. Some people have seen Tigers and Leopards as well. Mind you, this is a Kali Tiger reserve ( Dandeli--Anshi--Chorla--Tilari--Amboli region is a protected Tiger reserve ). Good chance of spotting Elephants and bisons too. I was riding alone here in 2015 April and some sections of this forest route are too eerie. Those strange noises scared the hell out of me and I crossed the forest without stopping anyhwere in between.
I totally agree with you. I have come across Peacock umpteen times. Other animals spotted by me are Jackal, Snakes & Bison. I am little wary of Bison. They can easily flung car off the road, if come in charging. It is rare to spot these in broad daylight, but if you enter the route at 6 PM you may get a chance to witness.

It is especially mesmerizing if you choose to travel early morning when gates open. I would recommend, be at the gates by 6 AM and you are sure to come across at least one of these animals as you enter.
Ertigiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 10:52   #2462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
What is the best suggested night halt location (for family) considering the next day I would have to drive 2 or 3 hours max to reach Candolim?
Sankam residency Belgaum
Hotel Ramdev, Belgaum
Wildernest, Chorla: a little expensive but different experience altogether

When we went to Goa last month, we were considering this place:
http://sankalphospitality.in/
Sankalp Bhumi farm resort.

As one of our kids fell sick, we had to delay departure by a day and ended up driving straight to Goa. So havent tried this place, but it looks interesting. Maybe some other bhpians have tried it?

Quote:
Taking Bhimgad route from Belgaum to Goa has an advantage of spotting some wildlife.
We tried our best; drove slowly, all windows down, but the timing was not right. we were passing that area around noon.
All we saw were some butterflies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
It is especially mesmerizing if you choose to travel early morning when gates open. I would recommend, be at the gates by 6 AM and you are sure to come across at least one of these animals as you enter.
Next time will try to halt at Belgaum overnight and be at the gate at 6am; though it is a big challenge to do that with kids. Any decent stay options between Belgaum and Khanapur?
selfdrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 12:27   #2463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Next time will try to halt at Belgaum overnight and be at the gate at 6am; though it is a big challenge to do that with kids.
I understand. I think only once I was able to reach the gates at 6 AM with kids on board (When I literally dumped them in car right from their beds). Otherwise it was always solo drive.

Quote:
Any decent stay options between Belgaum and Khanapur?
I am not able to recollect any decent option but if time permits you can stay in Bhimgad wildlife Sanctuary itself.

Shangri-La Village Resort
Old 24th October 2018, 19:18   #2464
BHPian

Quote:
I am little wary of Bison. They can easily flung car off the road, if come in charging. It is rare to spot these in broad daylight, but if you enter the route at 6 PM you may get a chance to witness.
Last time I was driving around 6 am, had crossed Amboli and headed a Ajara. A bison came in the way all of a sudden. I was driving at about 80. Looked like a bloody giant even in front of my XUV. I braked as hard as I could and the Bison and me exchanged stares.

Needless to say I was the one who was nervous to the core. To my luck he decided to cross the road and took a giant leap into the fields.

Any idea if the Ajara road is being repaired off late ? The Diwali traffic load is going to make it worse.
TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 12:33   #2465
Senior - BHPian

Everyone, DO NOT take Amboli route. Its a mess to say the least. Horrible roads. Just came back last Friday from Goa.

While going to Goa from Pune, i took Chorla route, and boy what a route it was. Scenic, smooth roads passing through forest (though didnt see anything, except humans) But i really started to appreciate this route when while coming back i took Amboli route

So do whatever, but do not take Amboli at any cost.

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th October 2018 at 19:12. Reason: See rule #11
nitinralli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 13:36   #2466
BHPian

Folks planning to do Mumbai/Pune to South Goa via Belgaum--NH4A ( the Bhimgad/Anmod ghat route ), please be aware that there is ban on heavy vehicles from entering inside Belgaum from 7 a.m to 8pm resulting in bad heavy traffic outside the city onto the Goa highway ( NH4A). Loads of trucks are parked on one half of the 2 lane undivided road leaving cramped space for movement of other traffic. This is just for your information and factor a delay of around 30 mins.

Same story for Chorla road, but not many trucks are parked on this route.

I will post further updates accordingly.

Quote:
I believe you meant starting on 11th Nov at around 10 AM..

Belgaum should be your destination for halt. It makes perfect sense to drive 6/4 lane highway all the way till Belgaum. Take break and proceed after a good night's sleep.

Our friend and T-bhpain Vivek woould be of great help in letting you know decent place to stay for a night.
Hotel Ramdev International, Hotel Sai Sangam international, Hotel Rohan Residency, Hotel Sanman Deluxe, Hotel Adarsha Palace, Hotel Native by Chancery are some of the most decent places to break for a night in Belgaum on your way from Mumbai/Pune to Goa. I am not including the names of the three 4 star hotels here. Apparently there is one new 5 star at Belgaum ( The Fern, UK 27 ) though I doubt it's only a 4 star.

Quote:
totally agree with you. I have come across Peacock umpteen times. Other animals spotted by me are Jackal, Snakes & Bison. I am little wary of Bison. They can easily flung car off the road, if come in charging. It is rare to spot these in broad daylight, but if you enter the route at 6 PM you may get a chance to witness.
True that. I have spotted two full blown bisons as close as 3 metres away, when I was riding my Honda Dio on Chorla road at 6pm in the evening ( June 2013 ). Then, I rode by the side of a group of 4 bisons, about 20 metres far, when we guys did a one day picnic to Nersa village forests, Bhimgad zone. That was no road, actually a forest trail. In my car, haven't spotted even a dog. I think my luck is when I am on a bike , but don't want to run into an elephant someday . This Bhimgad is a more protected forest and route, so high chance of bumping into something when crossing the stretch early mornings there.

Last edited by vivek95 : 29th October 2018 at 14:04.
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 12:22   #2467
BHPian

Folks - planning to drive down to North Goa for Diwali along with family and a dog. Is Nipani-Amboli-Sawantwadi the way to go?

Had a specific question - is there a pet friendly stop recommended on the route? Was aiming to take a halt somewhere around Kolhapur and need some open space / pet friendly areas at the place we decide to halt for lunch.

Thanks in advance
Old 30th October 2018, 12:41   #2468
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by car.lover View Post
Folks - planning to drive down to North Goa for Diwali along with family and a dog. Is Nipani-Amboli-Sawantwadi the way to go?
No way! That road is ruined beyond repair. Stick to Belgaum - Chorla route.
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 12:58   #2469
BHPian

Can anyone recommend good halt with non-veg food and clean toilets (for female passengers) somewhere before Chorla and after Belgaum ?

Since I used to always use Amboli and halt at Hotel Minerva in Ajara, I have to now find an alternative.
Old 30th October 2018, 13:33   #2470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Can anyone recommend good halt with non-veg food and clean toilets (for female passengers) somewhere before Chorla and after Belgaum ?

Since I used to always use Amboli and halt at Hotel Minerva in Ajara, I have to now find an alternative.
After Belgaum there is not much to see/eat before the ghats. Plan to stop in Belgaum instead. There is a restaurant called Niyaaz, it has good non-veg food. The toilets are acceptable as well. There is a 2-3 car parking space right outside the restaurant, else, they have a bigger car park ~100-200 mts down the road which is usable and safe.

Niyaaz now has more branches in Belgaum, so you can choose, they are also in Goa, I remember seeing one near Panjim.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation, commercial or otherwise with Niyaaz.
varunsangal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 13:53   #2471
BHPian

Quote:
Folks planning to do Mumbai/Pune to South Goa via Belgaum--NH4A ( the Bhimgad/Anmod ghat route ), please be aware that there is ban on heavy vehicles from entering inside Belgaum from 7 a.m to 8pm resulting in bad heavy traffic outside the city onto the Goa highway ( NH4A). Loads of trucks are parked on one half of the 2 lane undivided road leaving cramped space for movement of other traffic. This is just for your information and factor a delay of around 30 mins.
Thank you for the information. I am to travel early next week & will keep in mind situation to adjust my timings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car.lover View Post
Had a specific question - is there a pet friendly stop recommended on the route? Was aiming to take a halt somewhere around Kolhapur and need some open space / pet friendly areas at the place we decide to halt for lunch
You can stop at Hotel Sai International or at Hotel Kauvery just after Nipani. These hotel have sufficient space for dogs to move around. In fact at Hotel Kauvery you might come across aged Labrador dog (Owner's pet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
No way! That road is ruined beyond repair. Stick to Belgaum - Chorla route.
Never imagined the condition of road will get so worse. It was my regular route when Anmod route was in pathetic condition.
Ertigiat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 13:58   #2472
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Never imagined the condition of road will get so worse. It was my regular route when Anmod route was in pathetic condition.
Mine as well until I drove on it a week and half ago. I wonder what really happened since the road is not subjected to heavy truck traffic. Reminds of it's pathetic state from 2004-09 time frame when getting to Uttur was a nightmare from Nipani.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 14:01   #2473
BHPian

Quote:

The only fairly good stopover between Belgaum and Chorla is Hotel Delta, part of Delta cottage resorts at Kanakumbi. It falls on left side going to Goa. I had last visited this place an year back when the washrooms were good and food was okay. What I liked however was the location of this hotel, as it's situated bang in the middle of thick forests. I happened to spot a huge golden squirrel here.

Others are Wildernest and Swapnagandha resorts which are quite popular but I think they accept only prior bookings for stay.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 16:03   #2474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Mine as well until I drove on it a week and half ago. I wonder what really happened since the road is not subjected to heavy truck traffic. Reminds of it's pathetic state from 2004-09 time frame when getting to Uttur was a nightmare from Nipani.
What if one uses Sankeshwar - Ghadinglaj road ? Avoiding Utur ? Is Amboli also broken ?
Old 30th October 2018, 16:54   #2475
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What if one uses Sankeshwar - Ghadinglaj road ? Avoiding Utur ? Is Amboli also broken ?
The ghat not so much. But, the road before Amboli is broken. I am not sure how Sankeshwar - Gadinglaj is right now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks