Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2023, 08:02   #3961
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

I drove from Mumbai to South Goa yesterday morning. Started at 4, got held up near lonavala ghat (amrutanjan bridge) traffic for more than an hour as Google stated.

Post that, it was superb road all the way till Karad. The flyover work is in progress and got held up in a traffic snarl for approx 20 mins when I reached around 11. If I read the sign right, they have opened up a diversion within the city which Google als suggested, however i stuck to the main road and got through (diversion would have saved 15 mins - Google suggested).

Stopped at Sai international, Islampur for lunch. Options like thalipeeth, theplas are available. Also one of those rare places which still maintain cleanliness as a standard. Roads leading to Ajra after Nipani start getting worse as they are being widened. So many cars prefer to drove on the hardened mud stop creating a dust storm. Also slows down the cars to a great extent. Potholes are spread across but nothing that can damage even a low GC sedan.

Amboli ghats are in good condition. Goa has now flyovers and bridges will help you zoom from North Goa to South Goa.

Overall, you can take this route if you have time and have not sure about other routes.
denzdm is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 16:57   #3962
PSG

I drove to Kolhapur on 29 Apr. Started at 5.30 am from Mumbai , reached Kolhapur by 2.30 pm. It was a holiday traffic and took us 1 hr 15 min to drive thru Khandala Ghat. Traffic was slow due to multifold vehicles on road . Faced lot of traffic in Khambataki Ghat and then the detour in Karad City. Stayed in Kolhapur for the nightand travelled to South Goa next day. I took Kolhapur-Nipani-Gadhinglaj-Ajra-Amboli-Banda route. As most members mentioned in recent posts , road work is in progress near Ajra. Road from Satuli to Banda is good. This road was in horrible condition in 2016 when I travelled last. Banda to South Goa roads are wide and in very good condition. I drove Tata Zest. Overall road quality is good and manageable for a sedan/compact Sedan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratt View Post
I'm planning to drive down from Pune to Amboli on the 15th May. Appreciate any update on road conditions, as a few weeks ago the route to Amboli was not in too great a shape.
I did Mumbai Goa last week - via Amboli. Road is in top condition except some road work near Ajra. Amboli ghat is also in good condition.
PSG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 12:13   #3963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Anuskura route is in very good condition except small 2-3 km patch between Oni and Saundale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSO View Post
The first part till the crest of Anuskara ghat past Malkapur is good but the descent is a little patchy and slow going till NH66.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Route : Mumbai - Karad - Anuskura - Oni - Anjuna. Both ways.
Folks, for reaching Anuskura ghat from Malkapur there seems to be 2 route options - One Malkapur - Pandhrepani - Manjare - Anuskura and another Malkapur - Panundre - Kante - Anuskura. I hope what Google suggests (first option) is the one to take.

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-capture.jpg
Dodge_Viper is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 12:36   #3964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Folks, for reaching Anuskura ghat from Malkapur there seems to be 2 route options - One Malkapur - Pandhrepani - Manjare - Anuskura and another Malkapur - Panundre - Kante - Anuskura. I hope what Google suggests (first option) is the one to take.

Attachment 2452005
The route map shown by you is the correct one (Malkapur - Pandhrepani - Manjare - Anuskura) with smooth roads.
AKSO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 13:28   #3965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin View Post
Hi,

We are planning to travel to Mumbai from South GOA/Benaulim (CRETA)
=====
3) Via Anmod-Ramnagar-Khanapur
hello,

What route did you take and how were the roads?

Driving to Varca tomorrow and unsure of what route to take.
Old 19th May 2023, 12:16   #3966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketqueen22 View Post
hello,

What route did you take and how were the roads?

Driving to Varca tomorrow and unsure of what route to take.
Hi,

I took the BWS route, the road is still in very bad condition, but if you ignore those 5 kms within the BWS (gravel with potholes) and 2 Kms stretch outside the BWS, then the rest of the roads are in pristine condition.

I would suggest you take the Amboli Ghat road or Chorla Ghat road, if you cannot grit your teeth/digest the 7 kms bad roads, which to me is only 1% of the total drive from GOA to MUMBAI. For a CRETA it is not that bad, not sure about low slung cars.

The Amboli route was quite bad in December 2022, not sure about the condition now!
We can expect cumulatively a similar distance of such bad roads even on the Amboli or Chorla routes!!!
Old 19th May 2023, 14:11   #3967
BHPian

Hi,

I travelled on May 11th, 2023, started at 5.15 AM from South Goa to Mumbai with my CRETA-2018 & reached home in Borivali at 7.45 PM with several 5 minutes stretching breaks in between. Total driving time was 10 Hrs 30 Minutes.

Stopped for breakfast at Tumkur Thatte Idly in Belgaum City (street side parking) for approx. 45 minutes, which is a decent place for a good South Indian style breakfast dishes/eats. The second major stop was at Khopoli Food Hub Mall/The Grand Cube for approx.30 minutes.

My default route was South Goa-Mollem-Anmod-Ramnagar-Londa-Khanapur-Belgaum-Mumbai, with an option to take the BWS-Khanapur-Belgaum-Mumbai route.

Did not take Chorla Ghat since it is a busy route with a lot of trucks. tourist buses & taxis using it as a default route.

Soon after the Excise Check post at Anmod, stopped at the Dhanraj Hotel on the left and asked the person/owner as to which road is better between the two. He suggested that due to the rains few days ago, the Ramnagar-Londa route would be pretty bad with slush/potholes etc.

He asked me, if I could bear with 5+2 kms of potholed/gravel filled road, and after that the roads will be good & it’s better to take the BWS route instead of Ramnagar-Londa route.

So as suggested by him decided to grit the teeth and take the BWS route and let the car do the rest, once we got past the entry boom barrier of BWS, the roads were pretty bad, basically gravel with potholes and huge mounds of mud/soil dumped on either side of the roads every 6-10 meters within the BWS boom barriers, not much traffic in this stretch, except an occasional car or a truck, and once we got out of the BWS, the roads were good except for one more stretch of 2 kms. However, once we reached the Khanapur Highway, the roads were in very good/pristine condition right until Mumbai.

Came across some traffic jams/bottlenecks detours/diversions enroute in Belgaum-Kolhapur-Karad stretch due to flyovers/road works, but nothing to be worried about for the traffic heading towards Mumbai, there was a long traffic jam on the opposite side between 11.30-12.00 noon for the traffic going towards Belgaum/Bangalore due to the demolition/rebuilding works for the flyover & 6 laning road works.

Apparently the road works in Karnataka had been stopped due to elections code of conduct, and is expected to be taken up very soon, both in BWS & Amboli routes which falls within Karnataka.

Before entering the BWS road, ensured the tyre pressures were OK, in fact inflated the tyres to 36 PSI with portable tyre pressure inflator, (rated pressure for CRETA is 32-33 PSI) and then reduced to the rated pressure once we were out of the bad roads of the Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary.

This additional pressure was to make the tyres a bit hard/stiff, so that the gravel/stones do not puncture the rubber easily. We were using this technique whenever we used to drive on mud/gravel/graded roads (not in the sand) in the deserts of OMAN back in the late 80s early 90s and reduce the pressure to rated pressure when we were back on the tarred roads. Some people may have a different opinion/view about this technique & is a contentious issue, what works for some may not work for others.

All throughout the BWS and the drive till Mumbai I was monitoring the tyre pressure on the Android JK Smart Tyre App on the Hyundai CRETA MID (display) every now and then to ensure there was/is no issue with tyre pressure.

All in all, the drive was pretty smooth, except for the BWS stretch which was long forgotten as soon we reached the 6 lane highway in Khanapur.

Planning to go back to GOA sometime end of this month or 1st week of June, not sure which route to take, most probably will take Amboli Ghat route to avoid the afternoon traffic in Belgaum City or perhaps go via Chorla Ghat.
I Don't think the BWS road will be repaired by then!!!
Irwin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 17:01   #3968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I travelled on May 11th, 2023, started at 5.15 AM from South Goa to Mumbai

So as suggested by him decided to grit the teeth and take the BWS route and let the car do the rest, once we got past the entry boom barrier of BWS, the roads were pretty bad, basically gravel with potholes and huge mounds of mud/soil dumped on either side of the roads every 6-10 meters within the BWS boom barriers, not much traffic in this stretch, except an occasional car or a truck, and once we got out of the BWS, the roads were good except for one more stretch of 2 kms. However, once we reached the Khanapur Highway, the roads were in very good/pristine condition right until Mumbai.
How long did you take to traverse the Anmod- BWS -Khanapur stretch.
Old 19th May 2023, 17:38   #3969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
How long did you take to traverse the Anmod- BWS -Khanapur stretch.
It took roughly 55 minutes from Anmod Dhanraj Hotel Junction to reach NH748 Khanapur Highway (Via Honakal) Distance is 32-33 Kms

One can go via Rumewadi also, not much difference in distance, difference about 1 km more than via Honakal.
Irwin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 10:27   #3970
Senior - BHPian

I am planning a monsoon drive to Mumbai from Bangalore. Unlike previous drives all along NH48, this time I am considering a detour of sorts with additional days factored

Bangalore - Murudeshwar
Karwar - Goa - Continue along NH 66 through Goa into MH
Ratnagiri - drive along NH66 to Chiplun - Mangaon - Pen - through Karnala - Navi Mumbai

Would appreciate feedback on the condition of NH66 in KA, GA and MH sections
Old 23rd May 2023, 17:18   #3971
BHPian

I drove BLR - Mum onward on 17th May. Started from BLR @ 3.30 and drove straight upto Pune. Reached Pune @ 5.00 after taking multiple breaks. (Breakfast, Lunch, Office calls etc)

Next day left Pune @ 5.30 am and it was a breeze to drive thro the Expressway. Reached Vile Parle @ 8.15 am.

On Return, Left Mumbai @ 8 am, took a break at Mapro Garden, Valvan and then broke the journey in Kolhapur. Next day, drove from Kolhapur to BLR, with multiple stoppages in Dharwad (for Pedha) and Hiriyur (coffee).

Got bogged down in Karad town due to Road work and also after that upto Kolhapur, 2 laned roads with lots of 2 wheeler traffic.
Rajesh K R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 13:28   #3972

Quote:
Hi,

I took the BWS route, the road is still in very bad condition, but if you ignore those 5 kms within the BWS (gravel with potholes) and 2 Kms stretch outside the BWS, then the rest of the roads are in pristine condition.
Hi,

Thank you. Saw your response post my arrival into Goa. I took the BWS route as well. I was alarmed as soon as i took the right into the BWS road off the pristine Khanapur highway. Went really slow through the bad stretches. My Ignis held fort pretty well.

Abt 5-7 kms of really really bad roads..but the rest of it was a pretty good drive.
Honestly now I am in 2 minds as to which route to take on my way back. Will surely encounter slow traffic at Karad and Lonavala which I did Outbound as well!!!!
Rocketqueen22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 18:38   #3973
BHPian

I drove from South Goa to Mumbai on Saturday (27th) very sedately rarely exceeding 100 km/h. Thanks to all the road reviews here and based on Dodge_Viper 's suggestion, I took the Madgaon-Panjim-Kankavli-Rajapur-Oni (all on NH66). After Oni, turn right towards Saundal-Rajpatan-Anuskura Ghat-Pandharepani-Malkapur-Yelapur-Narayanwadi (joins NH48)-Karad-Pune-Mumbai.

Do note that when following this route, Google Maps will try to direct you to Anuskura ghats through Kharepatan, however, ignore and continue till Oni on NH66. No tolls throughout.

Milestones with timings and road conditions
Started at 5:20 from Madgaon, reached Hotel Relax Kankavli for breakfast at 7:30 (140 kms - 2 hours 10 mins) - Great roads throughout
Started at 8:30 (one hour long breakfast break), reached top of Anuskura Ghat at 10:30 - (103 kms - 2 hours) Except for small 3-4 kms patch between Oni and Soundal where gravel laying is in progress, there is a diversion which is in bad state but easily manageable even for low GC cars. Rest of the road is one of the best tarmacs you will drive on. Smooth with curves to keep you engaged (esp as you start your ride on the Anuskura all the way till you reach Karad).
Arrived at Fern Karad for lunch at 12:30 (96kms - 2 hours)
The usual traffic at Karad due to flyover work - stayed on the leftmost lane as it was moving faster and then once you cross this, again smooth roads all the way up to end of Mumbai-Pune expressway.

A picture of each milestone
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-hotelrelxkankavli.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-topofanuskuraghats.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-fernkarad.jpg  

denzdm is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 12:39   #3974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denzdm View Post
I drove from South Goa to Mumbai on Saturday (27th) very sedately rarely exceeding 100 km/h. Thanks to all the road reviews here and based on Dodge_Viper 's suggestion, I took the Madgaon-Panjim-Kankavli-Rajapur-Oni (all on NH66). After Oni, turn right towards Saundal-Rajpatan-Anuskura Ghat-Pandharepani-Malkapur-Yelapur-Narayanwadi (joins NH48)-Karad-Pune-Mumbai.

Do note that when following this route, Google Maps will try to direct you to Anuskura ghats through Kharepatan, however, ignore and continue till Oni on NH66. No tolls throughout.

Milestones with timings and road conditions
Started at 5:20 from Madgaon, reached Hotel Relax Kankavli for breakfast at 7:30 (140 kms - 2 hours 10 mins) - Great roads throughout
Started at 8:30 (one hour long breakfast break), reached top of Anuskura Ghat at 10:30 - (103 kms - 2 hours) Except for small 3-4 kms patch between Oni and Soundal where gravel laying is in progress, there is a diversion which is in bad state but easily manageable even for low GC cars. Rest of the road is one of the best tarmacs you will drive on. Smooth with curves to keep you engaged (esp as you start your ride on the Anuskura all the way till you reach Karad).
Arrived at Fern Karad for lunch at 12:30 (96kms - 2 hours)
The usual traffic at Karad due to flyover work - stayed on the leftmost lane as it was moving faster and then once you cross this, again smooth roads all the way up to end of Mumbai-Pune expressway.

A picture of each milestone
Thanks denzdm,

Seems like this will be the route I will take when I go to GOA from Mumbai sometime this/next week.

Apparently the 4 laning is fully completed only from Margaon till Talere.

After Talere the 4 laning is in progress with several diversions and 2 lane roads.

Please confirm the road conditions from Talere to Oni

THANKS
Irwin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 13:01   #3975
BHPian

The road is in great condition on NH66 from Oni all the way to Panjim.
denzdm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks