Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2023, 16:47   #4096
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Hello Friends,

Can anyone guide me for my upcoming South Goa trip.

Pune-Kolhapur-Belagavi-Khanapur-Anmod-Mollem- south Goa (Rajbagh)

What is the condition of roads overall. Any do's and Don'ts
Old 2nd November 2023, 19:23   #4097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post
Hello Friends,

Did a Pune to South Goa trip on the 22nd October weekend in the Polo.
Route taken: Pune - Kolhapur - Belgavi - Khanapur - Honakal - Anmod - Sanvordem - Palolem.

I wonder when they will stop digging up the NH48. Satara to Kolhapur was annoying with the number of diversions, though road quality was okay. I was sad to see the Tavandi ghat being worked on as well with occasional diversions. The road till Belgavi is being worked on as well with a few diversions along the way. Road quality is not as great as before, but not bad. The road from Belgavi to Khanapur is epic. Google suggested to take the route through the forest via Honekal and thats where things go south. The road between Honakal to Anmod was almost not a road. Especially the first 3-4 km are particularly bad and need careful navigation for low ground clearance vehicles. Anmod ghat itself is in great shape and roads in Goa are a pleasure. I haven't tried the NH66 route so cant comment on it's current state, but this route is doable except for some pain on the Honakal to Anmod stretch.
MegaWhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 12:19   #4098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaWhat View Post
Route taken: Pune - Kolhapur - Belgavi - Khanapur - Honakal - Anmod - Sanvordem - Palolem.

The road between Honakal to Anmod was almost not a road.
Thanks for your guidance. So you took the route from Khanapur to Anmod via Bhimgad wildlife sanctuary (Hemmadaga)?

Any information on the route Via Ramnagar (Khanapur-Ramnagar-Anmod)?
Old 3rd November 2023, 14:30   #4099
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your guidance. So you took the route from Khanapur to Anmod via Bhimgad wildlife sanctuary (Hemmadaga)?

Any information on the route Via Ramnagar (Khanapur-Ramnagar-Anmod)?
Yes, thats right, I took the route via Bhimgad wildlife sanctuary. Driving time from Chandani chowk to Palolem was around 11.5 hours both ways. Sorry, I do not have information on the route through Ramnagar.
MegaWhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 12:31   #4100

Quote:
Hello Friends,

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a south Goa trip as well, end of this week.

After some research and suggestions by people on this forum. I have decided to take the following route -

Mumbai > Pune > Karad > Malkapur > Anuskura Ghat > Oni > Panaji

Road quality is really imp for me. Don't mind taking 1 hr extra.

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions or feedback. Thank you
queen2023 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 12:51   #4101

Hi in addition to my previous post. I am actually planning to take a route to South Goa originally posted in post no. 4033 and then by livezero in post no. 4042.

The route link - https://maps.app.goo.gl/bJv9xzaKjvYgj2JJ6?g_st=ic

Anyone tried this route recently. Please let me know. Thanks
queen2023 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 10:29   #4102

I recently went to the North Goa from Pune and back and here are my observations

1) Travel date 4th November from Pune (Pune-4) to Assagao
I left my house at exactly 05:00 a.m. and since it was early in the morning, the traffic on the NH48 was sparse barring the usual trucks. I did not face any delays at Khed Shivapur and was able to reach Karad by ~07:30 a.m. The road quality is good barring a few potholes. Since it was early in the morning, I did not face any delays at Karad either. I took the SH-144 from Karad to Malkapur and the road is simply brilliant. It was the first time I've travelled by road, but the tarmac quality is simply superb and the views are excellent too. I reached the Anuskura ghat top by 09:30 a.m. and the views are simply superb.
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-20231104_092704.jpg

While heading towards NH66, I made the mistake of using google maps and taking the road from pachal-raipatan- kharepatan. This strech of 10-15kms was not so good.

NH66 from Kharepatan to Goa was simply outstanding. Be aware that there are cops with speed guns stationed on the road as you can simply go over 120kmph on this highway as there's hardly any traffic.

Nevertheless, I finally reached north goa at 12:45 just in time for lunch! This was 07:45 mins
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-20231104_125056.jpg

2) Return Journey back to Pune
I left Mapusa around 11:45 a.m on the 7th of November and reached Rajapur at around 13:45 just in time for a lunch at a place called Hotel Saraswati which had a decent fish thali.
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-20231107_141129.jpg
This time I didn't make the mistake of taking the turn from Kharepatan in spite of google maps saying it was quicker. From Rajapur to Anuskura to Malkapur to Karad was a really good drive with a constant speed of 70-80. I finally reached Khed Shivapur at 07:00 p.m and reached my home at 07:50 p.m. (total time of 8 hours) which was excellent.
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-20231107_195533.jpg

So I would definitely recommend this road. In fact, taking this road for South Goa might also be worth it given that the roads from North to South Goa has become wider and overall excellent. Just add around 45-60 minutes for that trip. This will be my go to road to Goa unless something better comes up.
akkiman is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 11:02   #4103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkiman View Post
I recently went to the North Goa from Pune and back and here are my observations......
Thanks a lot for this update. I was considering this route for my Goa trip later this month, and your post made it easier to take a decision on finalizing it.

Apart from Hotel Saraswati, any other suggestions for taking a tea/snacks break on this route, preferably with clean washrooms? Where did you halt for breakfast while going to Goa?

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 9th November 2023 at 11:14.
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 12:01   #4104

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Thanks a lot for this update. I was considering this route for my Goa trip later this month, and your post made it easier to take a decision on finalizing it.

Apart from Hotel Saraswati, any other suggestions for taking a tea/snacks break on this route, preferably with clean washrooms? Where did you halt for breakfast while going to Goa?
On the way to Goa, I had packed breakfast (sandwiches, juices and other snacks) and we had it enroute inside the car. This road does have a challenge of finding good places to stop. In fact, all restaurants that I read in this thread (like Rane, etc) had not opened (08:00 a.m.) but I assume otherwise this place would be a good halt. Re: Washrooms - we ended up using the nature for bathroom halts Since the road is not at all busy, it's easy to find decent spots for a quick call of the nature.
akkiman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 14:36   #4105
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkiman View Post
On the way to Goa, ...
Dear "akkiman", thank you very much for the much needed update.
I am planning to take this route tomorrow (against the advise of my Goan colleague who still insists on Ajra route). My plan is also to start at 5 am from NIBM area and have my lunch break at Pernem.
Going by your post, I assume I should enter Malkapur and Oni as stops into google map to avoid misdirection.

If you can help me on traffic update inside Goa, like any weirdo speed limits etc? As you mentioned speed gun on NH 66, is it same as 80 or those insane limit like 35? My most trips would be on internal Goan road this time, hence traffic and speed limit info would help me intensely in planning.
Thank you.

By the way, where is the photo of your steed :-)

Last edited by PetrolRider : 9th November 2023 at 14:44.
PetrolRider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 17:52   #4106

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Dear "akkiman", thank you very much for the much needed update.
I am planning to take this route tomorrow (against the advise of my Goan colleague who still insists on Ajra route). My plan is also to start at 5 am from NIBM area and have my lunch break at Pernem.
Going by your post, I assume I should enter Malkapur and Oni as stops into google map to avoid misdirection.
Thanks. I agree that you should start at 5 just so that you can avoid all the crazy commuter traffic between Satara->Karad->Kolhapur .. irrespective of whichever road you choose.

With the anuskura ghat road, you should be able to reach Pernem quite easily by lunchtime, and you're right .. you should enter Malkapur, Pachal, Oni to avoid misdirection. The mistake didn't cost me much probably like 5mins or so but the bad roads make it a horrible experience. There are not many good stops enroute, so I would recommend that you pack some breakfast.

Quote:
If you can help me on traffic update inside Goa, like any weirdo speed limits etc? As you mentioned speed gun on NH 66, is it same as 80 or those insane limit like 35? My most trips would be on internal Goan road this time, hence traffic and speed limit info would help me intensely in planning.
Thank you.
I only noticed the speed guns when I passed the cop vans on NH66. I have searched for challans for my car, and nothing yet so I might be safe. 80 is the speed limit but there is this ridge where you would probably speed over 100 is where that cop car was. Inside Goa, I would recommend that you always follow

1) The listed speed limits should be followed as far as possible as there are speed guns across the state especially where there are hills or a blind spot. ALWAYS follow the speed limit of 30 on bridges and never overtake as cops love to catch out of state vehicles however ridiculous you feel those speed limits are.
2) The NH66 inside goa is nice and wide but I'd recommend you follow the 70 speed limit as again there are speed guns along some places.
3) Internally there are some one way roads that split to two (around a tree or something) and invariably there will be a cop on the end of that road to catch folks who go the wrong way.

Quote:
By the way, where is the photo of your steed :-)
Here you go!
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_20210921_171302__01__01.jpg
akkiman is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 22:18   #4107

Just wanted to share my update - I came back from Goa to Pune today (Benaulim to Kalyani Nagar).

Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023
Started: 8 AM
Reached Kalyani Nagar: 7:30 PM

Breaks: 2 x 30m breaks in the middle.

Took this route which was shared earlier:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/qbEdnXAdix9kocQF8?g_st=iw

It is a fantastic route, and I would highly recommend it.
Even the state highways were beautiful and roads amazing.

No issues whatsoever. Remember to head to Oni - if you don't, Google Maps will take you through a worse state highway (we made that mistake on our Pune -> Goa route).

Up until Karad (from Goa), we were the only people on the stretch of the road. It was empty to the point of it being creepy.

The worst bit was of course hitting Pune traffic. We reached Pune by around 5:30 PM - but the 22km drive to Kalyani Nagar took about 2 hours for us.
saurabhj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 12:02   #4108

Route update, a few days late

I did Pune - Goa on my motorcycle (Suzuki Gixxer SF 250) via the suggested Karad -> Malkapur -> Anuskura -> Oni -> Panjim (NH 66).

The roads till the Anuskura Ghat are amazing. Its gives the best of both world for enthusiasts who love leaning and cornering and laid back riders who enjoy the scenery.

Beyond the Anuskura Ghat descent, the roads till NH 66 via Oni are mixed. There are unmarked speed breakers, broken patches. Nothing that can't be avoided if you're careful.

NH 66 to Goa is a straight road throughout. It can get very boring if you're going all the way to south goa through this. But it is a fairly smooth ride regardless.

Started 6 AM in Kalyani Nagar and reached Vasco, Goa by around 3 with a breakfast break and a break on the Anuskura Ghat view point.
nh1922 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 13:56   #4109
BHPian

Drove down from Navi Mumbai for our annual Goa Trip and took the most advised route via Anuskura Ghats.

Route we took was - Belapur - Pune - Karad - Turn off at Narayanwadi towards Malkapur - Anuskura Ghats - Oni - Panjim - Benaulim.

Started at 0400hrs and reached South Goa at 1545hrs.

Breakfast stop at the Fern Karad for about 30-40mins, a quick lunch for about 20mins and a few short photo stops along the way for about a total of 15-20mins.

Similar to other updates, the roads are good all the way upto Goa with the following exceptions:
- Satara to Karad has lots of diversions, some are not marked too well but the road condition of diversions and service lanes are good

- Karad City was a mess with the ongoing flyover construction

- Malkapur was also congested and getting stuck behind a slow moving vehicle can slow you down. Roads were ok-ok.

- Roads descending from Anuskura till NH 66 are okish, with few patches and the odd pothole but nothing to be worried about. It is just not as good as the roads before this section.

This route will take you over 3 ghat / mountain crossings, so you climb up and down 3 times and the drive is amazing. During monsoons it would be close to heaven. While Anuskura is very picturesque, for most Bombay / Pune folks if you don’t reach early morning, the glare of the winter sun results in over-exposed photos. Before Anuskura, the road winds very close to a windmill farm and makes for amazing photo / video opportunities. Crossing the bridges across Mandovi and another one later on the way to South Goa was also amazing - total Instagram material!

Did not encounter any traffic police, radar guns etc though kept within 60-80kmph almost throughout NH66.
PGNarain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2023, 17:25   #4110
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
- Satara to Karad has lots of diversions, some are not marked too well but the road condition of diversions and service lanes are good

- Karad City was a mess with the ongoing flyover construction

- Malkapur was also congested and getting stuck behind a slow moving vehicle can slow you down. Roads were ok-ok.

- Roads descending from Anuskura till NH 66 are okish, with few patches and the odd pothole but nothing to be worried about. It is just not as good as the roads before this section.
+1 with few observations.
  • Anuskura descent towards Oni is rather steep. While returning back, faced a lot of "illiterate" millionaire townsfolk with big cars who does not understand their vehicle dynamics and end up coming face to face with ascending vehicles. Had few narrow escapes and once need to sudden stop on the middle of a hairpin bend while ascending to avoid those.
  • Get your family members have their nature breaks in Karad / Rajapur if they are uncomfortable in taking it to nature. You wont find any place (forget decent) for loo break between Karad - Rajapur.
  • Have your food packed for the section and yes if you are driving in morning also pack your tea.
  • Be careful of unmarked speed breaker between Oni - Rajapur on NH 66. They can literally make your suspension fly. Good thing is, that is only 7 kms.
  • Keep your speed on check in NH 66 though you will be tempted. That road goes through village area and lots of cattle on road curb and median.
  • The entire section is devoid of any commercial vehicles which helps in time management.
  • Goan trafic police is weird enough to put speed limit as 30 and 40 on 8 lane new Zuari bridge while 2 lane south Goa part is still with 70 - 80 KM. All MH cars on both Atal and new Zuari bridges are on left most lane driving like a snail whereas all GA cars are zooming past on them.
More or less, roads are exceptionally better than Ajra - Amboli.
5 AM start form Pune makes it a 7 hr 40 min drive time till Mopa whereas a 10 AM return from Mapusa till home took 8 Hr 25 min drive time (thanks to crazy traffic between Satara - Pune in evening).
PetrolRider is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks