Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2023, 09:43   #4051
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quite delighted to see lot of folks taking the route: Karad-Malkarpur-Pachal-Anuksara route. If you want to experience sheer driving pleasure - irrespective of the car - you should plan a trip through this route. I have tried pretty much all the Ghat roads which connects Western Maharashtra to Konkan and this one tops when it comes surface quality & sparse traffic. Sure the Tamhini Ghat, Amba Ghat are good too but this one is at another level.
livezero is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 17:22   #4052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livezero View Post
Here you go: https://maps.app.goo.gl/bJv9xzaKjvYgj2JJ6?g_st=ic

So basically once you reach Malkapur T-Junction - you need to take Left instead of Right ( Amba Ghat is under construction) on NH 166. And after going through the town for 200-300 mtrs - you need to take a right. The right turn rather looks small but once you are out of the town - it’s a great road.
Hi Livezero,

Thanks for the route above. I suggested it to my friends who used it today and were quite happy with it.

They said the road was good throughout except for a short section before touching NH66 which was a bit rough but nothing to complain about.

They also stopped at Rane Dining Hall and were happy with the food.

Thanks again.
Warm Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 06:20   #4053
BHPian

Quote:
Here you go: https://maps.app.goo.gl/bJv9xzaKjvYgj2JJ6?g_st=ic

So basically once you reach Malkapur T-Junction - you need to take Left instead of Right ( Amba Ghat is under construction) on NH 166. And after going through the town for 200-300 mtrs - you need to take a right. The right turn rather looks small but once you are out of the town - it’s a great road.

If Pawan Khind interests you - you can take a stop there as it falls on this road. There is a also a gate on the right which shows you the trail Shivaji Maharaj might have taken during his escape from Panhala to Vishalgad.
Hi livezero,
Thanks a lot for the link to google maps. I took the route from vasai and it was simply awesome. It was very scenic and my son got to see the windmill up-close on the ghat and the view was just mesmerizing as we halted at a couple of places. The roads were butter smooth on the ghats.
After entering old goa highway, couldn't keep my feet off the accelerator and got a speeding ticket.
Thanks all the other members who also suggested this route. For now this route is the best route to reach goa.
daredemon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 13:45   #4054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_payne View Post
Taking the SUV this time, but hopefully can take a more fun car down this route soon.
Thanks for taking this route and capturing these wonderful images.

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_01.jpg

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_02.jpg

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_03.jpg

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_04.jpg

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_05.jpg

Quote:
sukiwa is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 07:48   #4055
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmd View Post
Hi
Can you put up a Gmaps screenshot or trip link for the onwards trip (Mum-Goa)? I came across your lovely writeup and am now thirsting for a ride via that route. Two wheels should be good on that tarmac, I'm guessing. Thanks.
If you start reading from Paragsachania’s post quoted below and onwards on this thread, there is a lot of discussion on this route including some maps links. In fact, LiveZero had posted the link and its been quoted at the bottom of the immediate post above this one.

One choice you will have to make is whether you want to go via Oni / Ramapuram or cut in the middle around Saundal to exit out at NH 166 near Kharepatan. This too has been discussed in detail here.

The route will be excellent for 2 wheels and 4 both. I just took it myself on the 15th August long weekend - both ways to and fro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
We exited NH66 from Pachal Kolhapur Phata here.

I believe you ended up taking this one because you were driving from Goa side (South) and maps took you off from NH66 much earlier. In fact you can notice below the difference between the route you took (and what we took).

Attachment 2485043

You will realise, there is only a difference of 15 km but the route via NH66 and Pachal Phata is only 5-6 mins extra!

Last edited by Axe77 : 29th August 2023 at 07:50.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 11:36   #4056
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning to take this route, it looks promising. The only question I have is 'are there any good restaurants along the route post Karad until Oni?'. South Indian breakfast is all I'm looking for. I will be driving with my better half and two kids.

For example : We always halted at 'Sai International' near Kolhapur for breakfast while driving from Pune - Amboli - Goa which is our regular route.

Last edited by HammerHead : 1st September 2023 at 11:38.
Old 1st September 2023, 11:56   #4057
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
I'm planning to take this route, it looks promising. The only question I have is 'are there any good restaurants along the route post Karad until Oni?'. South Indian breakfast is all I'm looking for. I will be driving with my better half and two kids.
Absolutely nothing.

There are a few stalls at Pachvad (where you exit NH48 and take a right under the flyover) where you'll get mostly vada pav and misal. Then from there on, you'll find a restaurant (literally, there's just one decent place) at Malkapur; here you'll get south Indian fare.

From Malkapur, if you take Anuskura, there's nothing. Even on NH66, there's the odd dhaba but very limited options.

If you take Amba, you'll have plenty options: both proper restaurants and dhabas.

Kankavli is the next proper town where you'll find everything.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 13:13   #4058
BHPian

Some more progress update on Mumbai Goa Highway. I am planning a Goa trip in December 2023 but I am sceptical whether this will be done in time.

https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...otsav-8924796/
TSIched'Out is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 10:12   #4059
BHPian

Quote:
Quite delighted to see lot of folks taking the route: Karad-Malkarpur-Pachal-Anuksara route. If you want to experience sheer driving pleasure - irrespective of the car - you should plan a trip through this route. I have tried pretty much all the Ghat roads which connects Western Maharashtra to Konkan and this one tops when it comes surface quality & sparse traffic. Sure the Tamhini Ghat, Amba Ghat are good too but this one is at another level.
Quick question - Google maps shows, from Panjim it takes 290KMs to touch NH48 (@Karad) via Anuskura. On the other hand via Amboli it only takes 160KMs (@Tavandi) and it's a smooth sailing there onwards till Mumbai. If one is looking to save on travel time does it still make sense to take Anuskura over Amboli?
Old 12th September 2023, 10:15   #4060
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinmayd View Post
If one is looking to save on travel time does it still make sense to take Anuskura over Amboli?
Not really. Taking NH66/Anuskura will easily add at least 1.5-2 hours to the journey. The only reason we've taken that route / suggested it here is good roads + no traffic.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 10:31   #4061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinmayd View Post
Quick question - Google maps shows, from Panjim it takes 290KMs to touch NH48 (@Karad) via Anuskura. On the other hand via Amboli it only takes 160KMs (@Tavandi) and it's a smooth sailing there onwards till Mumbai. If one is looking to save on travel time does it still make sense to take Anuskura over Amboli?
Hey Chinmay,

I don’t think it makes any difference which route you take. Probably 15-30 mins here and there.

Till Oni from Panji (176kms) - I am guessing the Mumbai-Goa highway is in a great shape with lesser traffic as compared to NH48. Even Google maps suggest taking this route. The Oni-Karad is 100 odd kms with a very sparse traffic and excellent tarmac. Funnily you would hate driving on NH 48 after Oni-Karad route. At least I did.
Old 12th September 2023, 11:26   #4062
BHPian

Just returned from Goa over the weekend. While going to Goa, we started from Pune (Bavdhan) at 5.15 and were in Mapusa by 1 pm with breakfast and other breaks of total 45 mins.
Had breakfast at a small joint Hotel Sai sangam next to the main temple in Malkapur town. Good food and quick service. Not so great washrooms.
The Karad city mess has improved a bit and at the early hours we were able to breeze through.
Excellent roads on karad-Malkapur-Anuskura route. The Anuskura ghat is at its magical best now. Beautiful greenery everywhere.
After Ghat there are few broken patches but nothing to bother. Touched NH 66 at Oni and from there it is excellent road to Goa throughout.
On the return journey started from our Candolim hotel by 8.15 am on Sunday and reached Pune by 5 pm with lunch break near Satara.
To summarise, this is the most preferred and scenic route to Goa right now.
heman_369 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 10:04   #4063
BHPian

Hello fellow colleagues, I am intending to drive to and from Mumbai to South Goa 22nd-25th Nov. For the past couple of months, there was some news about some parts of the new Mumbai-Goa express highway being opened for Ganesh Chaturthi, but all has fallen silent now. I have booked train tickets as a back-up, but would ideally love to drive since I have just purchased a new car around two months back. Is there anyway I can complete the journey in less than 10 hours if I leave around 4 a.m. from Andheri? Would much appreciate any help in this regard, thanks.
Old 17th September 2023, 10:55   #4064
BHPian

Just wanted to say thanks to whoever originally shared and also to @livezero for the GoogleMaps link for the Malkapur -> Anuskara route. I usually do the Mumbai -> Goa drive once a month, taking the standard Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Amboli sometimes choosing Phondaghat or Gaganbawda but both those routes were a mess so stopped. I was truly dreading the drive back this month having done it a month ago.

Saw this thread and decided to take that route earlier this week in the 5 series which I had parked up in Goa for a few months due to the bad condition of the Amboli route, as I didn't want to loose another tyre or worse a bumper.

This route was truly a great drive. There are a few patches that seem to have gotten worse due to the rains but overall much much better than the Amboli to Nipani mess at the moment. Also it was much quicker despite the added KM, last 3-4 times I have driven it has taken close to 11 hours including a quick 30 min break along the way. This time we left North Goa at 7am and were crossing Vashi bridge by 3ish which was remarkable.
Old 18th September 2023, 16:27   #4065
Senior - BHPian

The story of Mumbai-Goa highway. Political corruption, substandard work and indifference that has led to the NH66 being stalled for a decade.

According to a rough estimate by government authorities, 2,442 residents of Konkan lost their lives in accidents on the highway between January 2010 and April 2021.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-f6szaeiwsaasiwb.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks