Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2023, 14:55   #3901
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post
I am leaving for Varca, South Goa from Kolhapur via Ajra - Amboli - Panaji - Varca.

Recently I saw news that there are many traffic snarls due to construction activity in Panaji. Is it that bad or can we go via Panaji. Google maps show Atal Setu closure hence wanted to know.

Usually I go via Belgaum - Chorla ghat but this time around it was showing 40 mins more than Ajra so planned to take Ajra route.

Thanks in advance.
Hi SSD 2122,

I just went over the old bridge yesterday and traffic was not bad at all. The Northbound lane on Atal Setu was open so that relieved a lot of the traffic I guess.

It took me about 15 minutes from Porvorim to clear the bridge and get back on the highway - so, not too bad.

The South bound lane on Atal Setu was supposed to open today but no news yet....

Cheers,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 17:21   #3902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi SSD 2122,

I just went over the old bridge yesterday and traffic was not bad at all. The Northbound lane on Atal Setu was open so that relieved a lot of the traffic I guess.

It took me about 15 minutes from Porvorim to clear the bridge and get back on the highway - so, not too bad.

The South bound lane on Atal Setu was supposed to open today but no news yet....

Cheers,
SS
Thank you @suzuki san. This helps. I am leaving from Kolhapur tomo morning by 9 am so would be crossing Panaji by noon. Hopefully will encounter less traffic that time and if luck favours, both lanes would have opened up.
Old 3rd April 2023, 19:53   #3903
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you @suzuki san. This helps. I am leaving from Kolhapur tomo morning by 9 am so would be crossing Panaji by noon. Hopefully will encounter less traffic that time and if luck favours, both lanes would have opened up.

Just got the news that both lanes of Atal setu will be closed starting tomorrow for 10 days.
lionell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 20:00   #3904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
Just got the news that both lanes of Atal setu will be closed starting tomorrow for 10 days.
Thanks for the timely update. Is there any other route via Panaji other than Atal Setu to go to Varca. Will need to check if there are diversions else Belgavi - chorla route is my alternative.
Old 3rd April 2023, 20:14   #3905
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the timely update. Is there any other route via Panaji other than Atal Setu to go to Varca. Will need to check if there are diversions else Belgavi - chorla route is my alternative.
Unfortunately no other route. But the old and new Mandovi bridges are operational. Just that you may find a lot of traffic from 8-12 noon and then 4-5 to around 9. Traffic thins out after as the bulk of folk working in Panjim and beyond would have crossed the bridge.

But for Varca I would surely suggest Chorla and you can by pass all the traffic.

Last edited by lionell : 3rd April 2023 at 20:20. Reason: Typo
lionell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 20:21   #3906
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

A friend of mine just drove from Goa to Bombay.

The route he used was Mapuca - Tivim - Assonora - Dodamarg - Tillari - Chandgad - Gadhinglaj - Sankeshwar - Joined NH4 at Sankeshwar.

He reports that the route is in very good condition with some sections newly tarred.

SS

Hi Suzuki San, I took the same above path this morning. Started from Goa at 4am. I did find the road between Tilari and Chandgad very bad. It's either broken or one side is being worked on by PWD. I almost crawled for good 30 mins or so.

I just wanted folks to know the same. I could not tell if I saved any time with this route. I don't really have like-to-like timing from my travel via Amboli to Goa.
samyboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 00:37   #3907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyboy View Post
Hi Suzuki San, I took the same above path this morning. Started from Goa at 4am. I did find the road between Tilari and Chandgad very bad. It's either broken or one side is being worked on by PWD. I almost crawled for good 30 mins or so.

I just wanted folks to know the same. I could not tell if I saved any time with this route. I don't really have like-to-like timing from my travel via Amboli to Goa.
Hey Samyboy,

I am really sorry to read this. Sincere apologies. I can only pass on what other folk tell me, so...

I will make sure not to recommend this route to anyone in future.

Warm Regards,
SS
Old 4th April 2023, 06:28   #3908
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Samyboy,

I am really sorry to read this. Sincere apologies. I can only pass on what other folk tell me, so...

I will make sure not to recommend this route to anyone in future.

Warm Regards,
SS
Oh! please do not apologize, I totally agree, we all try and provide the best possible information to our fellow travelers. I posted only so others are aware of it.

On the brighter side, I got to try different route where temperatures around Tilari Nagar were 12 degrees. I could even spot a peacock in the ghats. So you lose some and gain some.
samyboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 10:26   #3909
BHPian

I travelled the following route on 29th March

Pune - Karad - Malkapur - Anuskura ghat - Oni - Kanakvli - Aachra

Except for 2 kms after descending Anuskura ghat near Saudal, rood is excellent condition. There are couple of bridges being built near Saudal where diversions are dusty and rough. Post Oni work of NH 66 is nearing completion. There are few patches where only one side of road is used. I found the widened NH 66 bit boring to drive and not as fast as other highways since original road was of winding nature and it has not changed.

On 31st left Aachra for Goa and consciously took route to avoid boring NH66. The route I took was-

Aachra - Malvan (Bypass) - Nerur - Math - Vengurla - Shiroda - Satarda - Pernem - Panaji - Ponda

Till we entered Goa it was all internal roads that were in excellent condition and pleasant to drive. Once we entered Goa, till Pernem work of widening and re-alignment of NH 66 is still going on. Atal bridge over river Mandovi was closed for some work or repairs. Rest of the roads were in Good condition. Somehow in Goa speed limit is 70 kmph till Mapusa and 60 kmph ahead with 30 kmph on bridges.

On return I was planning to come via Tilari but was advised to descend Tilari first to know the road and then go up. Hence took Banda - Satuli - Amboli - Ajra - Uttur - Nipani - Kolhapur - Pune route

Banda - Satuli road is now well done except bridge works going on at couple of places where you have to take dusty diversion. Amboli - Ajra road is generally in good condition. Near Ajra there is a 1 km rough patch and bridge work going on at 2-3 locations. In addition, there are sudden pothole patches at few locations. After Ajra till you hit Nipani Ajra link road road widening work is going on with number of bridges being re-built. It was sad to see many large and old trees that always kept the road in shade are cut down for widening. After entering Karnataka police were randomly stopping vehicles for liquor search.

I found Kognoli toll plaza scanner ultra fast. You just need to slow down and fastfag is read. On the other hand Maharashtra toll plaza scanners are very slow.

On return journey Passing Karad junction took some time. Worst was when we entered Pune. Got stuck in Traffic around 7 pm at Navale bridge for half an hour. I am told this problem is daily feature between 6 pm and 9 pm.

I Generally adhere to speed limits except when overtaking. Hence rough patches do not come to me as panic surprise. My vehicle was VW Polo GT TSI. I did not four GC to be worrisome anywhere on the route.
CANPUSH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 13:07   #3910
BHPian

Hello Folks,

Quick check on road quality, travelling to Talera (near Kankavli) this weekend from Mumbai. Any idea about the Gaganbawda route and status of the road, or if there are any recommended routes to take? Google is recommending the Malkapur - Anuskara Ghat route.

Thanks

Last edited by throttlehead : 4th April 2023 at 13:10.
Old 4th April 2023, 15:41   #3911
BHPian

Just reached Varca, Goa. With timely updates by teambhp members, avoided Ajra - Amboli - Panaji route due to news of Atal Setu closure and traffic woes.

I left Kolhapur at 9am, came via Nippani - Khanapur - Anmod ghat. At khanapur, Google Map shows newly laid NH748 as well as old one. Google Map shows the service road so better follow service road than new concrete NH748 as there is a turn under it after some distance.

Route before bhimgad wild life sanctuary is bad in 2 long patches but motorable. My advice is to drive slowly and not rush through. Rest of the road was quite fine. It was closed earlier but is now open.

Got this tip from a Karnataka police official just before the route. I happened to stop and on enquiring gave donation for Karnataka Police Flag day. Some appreciation towards their duty.

When you enter Goa, follow speed limit as I saw two vehicles stopped for not following it. The speed limit is 60 kms for most sections, 50 kms at times and a woeful 30 kms on bridge. I found it very irritating especially when roads were good.

Overall a good drive and once again thanks to follow teambhp members for timely updates.
SSD2122 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 11:04   #3912
BHPian

Quote:
Just reached Varca, Goa. With timely updates by teambhp members, avoided Ajra - Amboli - Panaji route due to news of Atal Setu closure and traffic woes.

Route before bhimgad wild life sanctuary is bad in 2 long patches but motorable. My advice is to drive slowly and not rush through. Rest of the road was quite fine. It was closed earlier but is now open.
How long are the 2 bad patches, some indicative drive time or distance would help? We're planning Pune-Goa this weekend and would appreciate inputs. We have two kids (both will be in car seats), so we are looking at the smallest ghat sections (to avoid car sickness) and obviously good condition of roads.

Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 11:37   #3913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlanuk View Post
How long are the 2 bad patches, some indicative drive time or distance would help? We're planning Pune-Goa this weekend and would appreciate inputs. We have two kids (both will be in car seats), so we are looking at the smallest ghat sections (to avoid car sickness) and obviously good condition of roads.

Thanks
Very very roughly I would say the patches are 3 to 5 kms each and these are inside the wild life santuary. It took me roughly take 20 mins for 1st patch and 30 mins for 2nd slightly bigger patch. I drive linea tjet which has good ground clearance and good suspension setup.

With kids better to cross it during daytime esp morning or early noon. Plan accordingly as weekend migh have more traffic. Rest of the road is quite good. There are mounds of sand deposited on both sides of the road to repair the patches. It is motorable and once you cross the border, Goa side ghat road is excellent.

Before you travel I would strongly advice you to check if it is open or closed for repairs. Also what I read in news, Atal Setu is closed till 10-April. If you are travelling after 10th, you can check that as well. Then Ajra - Amboli is nearer for North Goa. Chorla or Anmod for South Goa.

If you check Google maps, default option is Ajra - Amboli - Panaji. Belgavi - Chorla ghat shows more time than Anmod and hence I came via Khanapur - Anmod. For Goa, since Atal Setu is closed avoid Ajra - Amboli - Panaji.

Chorla or Anmod, both are similar and not really small ghats. You can carry suitable medicine for your kids for car sickness.

That's about as much as I could brief you.
Enjoy Goa!
Old 5th April 2023, 12:57   #3914
BHPian

Quote:
Very very roughly I would say the patches are 3 to 5 kms each and these are inside the wild life santuary. It took me roughly take 20 mins for 1st patch and 30 mins for 2nd slightly bigger patch. I drive linea tjet which has good ground clearance and good suspension setup.

With kids better to cross it during daytime esp morning or early noon. Plan accordingly as weekend migh have more traffic. Rest of the road is quite good. There are mounds of sand deposited on both sides of the road to repair the patches. It is motorable and once you cross the border, Goa side ghat road is excellent.

Before you travel I would strongly advice you to check if it is open or closed for repairs. Also what I read in news, Atal Setu is closed till 10-April. If you are travelling after 10th, you can check that as well. Then Ajra - Amboli is nearer for North Goa. Chorla or Anmod for South Goa.

If you check Google maps, default option is Ajra - Amboli - Panaji. Belgavi - Chorla ghat shows more time than Anmod and hence I came via Khanapur - Anmod. For Goa, since Atal Setu is closed avoid Ajra - Amboli - Panaji.

Chorla or Anmod, both are similar and not really small ghats. You can carry suitable medicine for your kids for car sickness.

That's about as much as I could brief you.
Enjoy Goa!
Thanks for the inputs. I need to get to Panjim, so I will probably take Chorla. Anmod will be long-ish for my purpose. Chorla isn't small, but I'm told relatively smaller than Amboli plus the Atal Setu closure. I'm not sure about car sick meds, the younger one is just a few months old so going to take it really slow. We're staying overnight at Kolhapur en-route and then Belgaum on the way back to Pune.
Old 5th April 2023, 13:47   #3915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlanuk View Post
Thanks for the inputs. I need to get to Panjim, so I will probably take Chorla. Anmod will be long-ish for my purpose. Chorla isn't small, but I'm told relatively smaller than Amboli plus the Atal Setu closure. I'm not sure about car sick meds, the younger one is just a few months old so going to take it really slow. We're staying overnight at Kolhapur en-route and then Belgaum on the way back to Pune.
Sure. Usually for Pune - Goa, I halt overnight at Kolhapur both ways. Didn't know your kids age so suggested meds. There is a small mall next to Hotel Opal, Kolhapur and Macdonalds outlet. Some cool activities for your kids outside the mall. Have a safe journey.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks