Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2023, 22:20   #3871
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Further update on Karad flyover construction:

I drove through Karad over the weekend, in both the directions. The flyover demolition work is in progress, and both ways traffic is diverted to the at-grade lanes on the western side of the erstwhile flyover, using a makeshift divider.

While going towards Kolhapur, it was smooth sailing, probably because it was 9am. While coming back to Pune, it was Sunday, 6:30pm, and the highway was jammed, ended up spending about 20 min to cross the junction. The traffic wardens were alternating between the main highway and service road. They were clearly biased (and rightly so) towards the highway traffic, so it makes sense to stay on the highway.

I could not find a way to enter Karad city from this junction while coming from Kolhapur, there would be a longer diversion to get to the city (I guess).
sschivate is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 07:43   #3872

Hi all,

I'm doing the Mumbai to Goa route for the first time, on my bike this weekend.

Doing Mumbai to Pune on Saturday, where I'm with a friend for a day. Planning to do Pune to Goa on Sunday.
The route I have planned is Pune>Satara>Kolhapur>Nipani>Amboli Ghat>Goa.
Destination is in South Goa.

Any suggestions/advice on this route?
Old 24th February 2023, 13:16   #3873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shur'tugal View Post

The route planned seems to be alright. Your ride being on Sunday, expect some traffic between Pune and Satara. Only suggestion would be to start as early as possible to avoid delays in traffic.

What is the destination in South Goa?
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 13:19   #3874

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
The route planned seems to be alright. Your ride being on Sunday, expect some traffic between Pune and Satara. Only suggestion would be to start as early as possible to avoid delays in traffic.

What is the destination in South Goa?
Yes, will look to start by 5.
Dabolim in South Goa.
Old 27th February 2023, 08:47   #3875

Quote:
Hi all,

Doing Mumbai to Pune on Saturday, where I'm with a friend for a day. Planning to do Pune to Goa on Sunday.

Any suggestions/advice on this route?
My ride down was good.
Road till around Ajara was great, no issues.
Ajara to Amboli Ghat is in a terrible state - just broken the whole way. Post that, roads nearing Goa are beautiful, as is the scenery.

Planning to return to Mumbai directly, via NH66 - any suggestions for it?
Old 3rd March 2023, 10:15   #3876
BHPian

Drove Mumbai to Goa on 1-Mar and took BOM - Pune - Belgaum - Khanapur - Anmod - South Goa. Overall smooth drive except
1- Google's mind - took us through the market area of Belgaum city and got stuck in bad traffic for 45 min
2- 12 kms of absolutely no road between Khanapur and Anmod
3- You really have to be careful between Khanapur Anmod stretch as the roads are really narrow and oncoming busses and trucks dont really care and hesitate to give you space
Except for the above, its scenic and a enjoyable drive

12kms of this
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_4063.jpg

and then scenic
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_4060-1.jpg
Jangra is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 10:01   #3877

Hi all,

Rode back from Goa (Vasco) to Mumbai. I'd come through NH48, Nipani and Amboli, but the Ajra-Amboli stretch was so terrible, I was loathe to do it again.

Really wanted to come via NH66, so took @libranof1987's advice, and took NH66 until Oni, after which I cut in via Anuskura Ghat, and then joined NH48 at Karad.

1. NH66 (until Oni atleast) is absolutely fantastic. Very scenic, and great roads. Think there were two or three diversions for construction in total, but all less than 5 minutes, and none a real bother. Really, really enjoyed this. Can't wait to do a whole trip via NH66.

2. The roads leading up to Anuskura Ghat have some small potholes. Navigable easily enough on the bike, might be a bit more struggle in a car. The Ghat itself has some broken patches, but they were very manageable, and the view more than made up for it.

3. The stretch from the Ghats to Karad is incredibly scenic. Beautiful roads, some twisties, windmills - I felt I was in some other country. Incredibly fun.

4. Karad diversion was easily manageable. Stay on the highway, they'll merge you with the service road. Took the opportunity to fuel up at Indian Oil. Took me about 5 minutes to get through it. This was around 12 p.m. on a Saturday.

Enjoyed my ride a ton. Thanks to everyone who shares updates and advice on this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-screenshot_20230305095109.png  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-pxl_20230304_042144983.jpg  

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-pxl_20230304_042346885.jpg  

Shur'tugal is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 11:07   #3878
BHPian

Hi All,

Group of 5 friends, all guys, are planning to do a Trip from Mumbai to Goa from 7-10th April. Our Location is Anjuna.

Our tentative plan is to leave from Mumbai on 6th Evening and camp at friend's place at Pune for the night. Start from Pune at 5:30 AM on 7th Morning and reach Goa late afternoon.

We plan to leave on Monday 10th April early morning and drive down to Mumbai the same evening.

This is my first road trip on Mumbai - Goa route and we usually do prefer flights but since this was an all guys trip we decided to make a road trip out of it.

What is the route that we should take? Any particular stretch to avoid? Is google maps accurate or should we take some other route? Any tips and queries would be appreciated.

Car taken would most probably be a Petrol 6 Str Alcazar.

Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 13:08   #3879
BHPian

Quote:

2. The roads leading up to Anuskura Ghat have some small potholes. Navigable easily enough on the bike, might be a bit more struggle in a car. The Ghat itself has some broken patches, but they were very manageable, and the view more than made up for it.

3. The stretch from the Ghats to Karad is incredibly scenic. Beautiful roads, some twisties, windmills - I felt I was in some other country. Incredibly fun.
Can you share the route which you took to join Karad from Anuskura?
Old 12th March 2023, 09:11   #3880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Can you share the route which you took to join Karad from Anuskura?
I took the Google Maps recommended route.
It was an SH, but I can't remember the which one (166/150 maybe?).
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-screenshot_20230312091018.png  

Shur'tugal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 10:14   #3881
BHPian

We 3 friends made our annual pilgrimage to Goa and returned last night.

We travelled through Kolhapur - Kaveri Hotel - Ajara - Amboli Ghat - Arpora in #Dark Harrier.
It was good drive overall - with some patches of washed out roads in the ghat section and diversions due to irrigation relation construction after Ajara. Some section could be challenging to low GC sedans.

We started back from Anjuna around 1 PM and could actually avoid most of the heavy traffic after Kolhapur upto Pune. Our vehicle documents were checked both ways near Kolhapur.

Food stops on the way ( Veg only) :
Onwards Goa : Vithal Kamat after Kolhapur. Pretty much everything was tasty and fresh.
Return : Haldiram's Kolhapur. A convenient option mid-way to Pune. Try Chola Bhatura.

A few snaps taken on the way.

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-goa-1.jpg
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-goa2.jpg

Last edited by ritzy : 13th March 2023 at 10:21.
Old 13th March 2023, 22:27   #3882
BHPian

Hey guys,

I am on the last leg of my South India tour. I started from Mumbai. Stopped at Bangalore-Pondicherry-Rameshwaram-Kanyakumari-Kollam-Aleppey-Ooty-Hampi and now in Goa.

Now I need to plan my journey from Goa to Mumbai and end the trip.

I have done this trip before but earlier it was always via NH48.

I had a very specific query. Has anyone done or thought of driving up to Mandwa jetty along the NH66 and just put the car on the boat and reach Colaba?

Any pros and cons of this?

I thought this would save at least a couple of hours but Google doesn't have this as a route.

Pray tell if anyone has done this.

I plan to leave on Friday March 17, 2023.
Old 14th March 2023, 07:00   #3883
BHPian

Guys,
I am planning to travel to South Goa in April first week. I have always taken the belgaum - chorla ghat route. Is it fine to take that route via belgaum. Anyone having any update on recent road conditions.

Given the recent karnataka-maharashtra political issues, any chances of being held up by traffic wardens for papers etc. for outside state cars. Has anyone faced any such situation.

Any other better route for South Goa from Pune.
Thanks in advance.
Old 14th March 2023, 09:02   #3884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post

Given the recent karnataka-maharashtra political issues, any chances of being held up by traffic wardens for papers etc. for outside state cars. Has anyone faced any such situation.
I recently travelled to North Goa via the Belgaum - Tilari ghat route. No checking whatsoever at the border.

The Ghat is steep with lots of hairpins, but is also short, scenic and the roads are good. There are a few rough patches due to on going repairs but I found the roads much better than the amboli route I took on the way back.
SedateMotorhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 23:21   #3885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ish View Post
Hey guys,

I am on the last leg of my South India tour. I started from Mumbai. Stopped at Bangalore-Pondicherry-Rameshwaram-Kanyakumari-Kollam-Aleppey-Ooty-Hampi and now in Goa.
Nice trip and have done a similar trip in 2021 November and do share pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ish View Post
I had a very specific query. Has anyone done or thought of driving up to Mandwa jetty along the NH66 and just put the car on the boat and reach Colaba?

Any pros and cons of this?

I thought this would save at least a couple of hours but Google doesn't have this as a route.
I have done the coastal road quite a few years back, taking the ferry on the way back to Mumbai from Goa first at Jaigadh, then from Dabhol, And then from Vesavi and back to Mumbai. You can find details here - https://carferry.in/ - or online in google maps as well. No prior booking necessary!

At the time the M2M ferry wasn’t operational, so drove back from Harihareshwar. Have since done Mumbai to Mandwa and back several times on M2M. Booking and details are easily available online - just search for “M2M ferry”. There is a thread here also discussing the ferry service

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/comme...ml#post4877989 (Mumbai-Mandwa (Alibaug) Ro-Ro ferry service to start in Feb 2020)

Coming to your question on time, these ferry services are good and convenient if you are travelling between the two points or within the coastal range. For you coming from Goa along the highway, this route won’t save you any time and probably end up taking a lot more time depending on how many ferries you decide to take. None of these boarding points are on NH66 but all lie on small internal state roads.

You will lose time diverting from the highway to the coastal road, traffic moves slower, bad roads, then waiting for ferry, boarding and de-boarding etc takes time but as an experience it is unbeatable and I would say to go for it if you have time to spare!

Last edited by PGNarain : 14th March 2023 at 23:27.
PGNarain is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks