Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2022, 07:25   #3736
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Did this 2000km + trip over last weekend and tried both Chorla and Anmod ghats. Not recommending either for Goa but what other choices we have?
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5386139 (Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries)
Old 24th August 2022, 18:12   #3737

I just did Mumbai-Goa ( Anjuna ) on 23/24 august.

Roads from Pune to KA border are absolutely amazing, no potholes whatsoever. The conditions get worse as you enter KA and it’s bad till belgavi.

I took the tilari nagar route from Belgavi to Goa and even though there are a few potholes, nothing that will damage a vehicle during daylight. I took my 2010 Honda City with is notorious for it’s low clearance and did not bottom out even once.

The main ghat section ( 7 kms ) is a brand new road with no issues
rsrivastava is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 00:06   #3738

Hi,

I am planning to drive to Goa (Candolim) on 4th Sep. Which is the best route? Any recent updates would be really helpful.

Going by the the details in thread it seems the better route is Amboli - > Sawantwadi.
Old 3rd September 2022, 18:21   #3739
BHPian

Hello

Planning to travel Mumbai-South Goa (Margao) by mid-september. Would like to know if it is worth taking the Tilari nagar route for the same OR whether I should stick to Chorla or Amboli-Sawantwadi? Also for the Tilari Ghat option, I would like to know the preferred route to be taken towards Margao after crossing Dodamarg border - as there are two routes in Google maps - one via Assonora-Tivim-Mapusa and one via Poriem-Sanquelim. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by thebluez : 3rd September 2022 at 18:27.
Old 4th September 2022, 14:47   #3740
BHPian

Drove down from Fatorda to Mumbai yesterday. Had taken the Ajara-Amboli route while driving from Mumbai to Pernem last week, but the Uttur-Ajara stretch uptil Amboli is horrendous to say the least. Since I was driving down from Fatorda while coming back to Mumbai, the choice was between Chorla and Anmod. Absolutely glad about choosing Chorla over Anmod, since the horror stories of BWS and then Ramnagar are unending. The stretch of Chorla on the Goa side is smooth as butter, the moment the Karnataka border commences however, the bad bit starts. Quite appalling that the Karnataka govt is least bothered about maintaining this stretch. However, this is absolutely bearable as compared to Amboli or even Anmod. Our XUV 700 handled all the bad patches extremely well without a whimper.
Old 4th September 2022, 15:18   #3741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadacarnissan View Post
Update on our trip

Route travelled - Pune > Kohlapur > Nipani > Amboli > Sawantwadi > Candolim

Happy to answer any queries on the route.
Looking to drive to Mhapan via Kolhapur - Nippani - Amboli - Sawantwadi route. I generally take the Gaganbawda ghat which gets me to Vaibhavwadi. Since I am travelling on a working day, like to avoid getting inside of Kolhapur City hence the Nippani route. However, your post isnt very confidence inspiring especially the Nippani to Ajara route.

I am driving an Ameo DSG. Sole driver with 4 other adults. Plan is to start from Mumbai at 3 AM to cross Kolhapur by 830 AM. Help me chose the best route to reach Mhapan by lunch time.
Old 4th September 2022, 20:27   #3742
BHPian

TL DR : We ( Myself, Wife, Parents and our 1 yr old Daughter) will be travelling to North Goa in a couple of months, request suggestions for Hotels in Kolhapur for Overnight Halt, preferably near the highway itself.

Hi,
Our last trip to Gia was in 2019 in our Jazz when it was only two of us on board. Since then the world has gone thru Covid and we were blessed with baby girl who will be turning 1 in a couple of Months. We have booked a Villa in North Goa ( Calangute) for 3 nights with other members of the family flying in from other Cities.

Last time we had driven to South Goa from Mumbai in the Month of August, which more because of the experience of driving in full monsoon became one of our best trips in India. However, as this time we will be travelling with parents as well as the child , I need inputs from the fellow members on below:

1. Night Halt: I plan to take a Night Halt in Kolhapur, please suggest good clean hotels which do not need much detour from the highway.

2. Should we stay in Kolhapur again while coming back from Goa to Mumbai, or you guys would suggest some other city.

3. Am assuming the roads will become a bit better in Oct end/November and humble Jazz wont get bottomed out much if i drive sedately/sensibly.

Thanks.
Old 5th September 2022, 10:42   #3743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanks_Jazz View Post
TL DR : We ( Myself, Wife, Parents and our 1 yr old Daughter) will be travelling to North Goa in a couple of months, request suggestions for Hotels in Kolhapur for Overnight Halt, preferably near the highway itself.

Hi,
Our last trip to Gia was in 2019 in our Jazz when it was only two of us on board. Since then the world has gone thru Covid and we were blessed with baby girl who will be turning 1 in a couple of Months. We have booked a Villa in North Goa ( Calangute) for 3 nights with other members of the family flying in from other Cities.

Last time we had driven to South Goa from Mumbai in the Month of August, which more because of the experience of driving in full monsoon became one of our best trips in India. However, as this time we will be travelling with parents as well as the child , I need inputs from the fellow members on below:

1. Night Halt: I plan to take a Night Halt in Kolhapur, please suggest good clean hotels which do not need much detour from the highway.

2. Should we stay in Kolhapur again while coming back from Goa to Mumbai, or you guys would suggest some other city.

3. Am assuming the roads will become a bit better in Oct end/November and humble Jazz wont get bottomed out much if i drive sedately/sensibly.

Thanks.
I did a similar trip this February/March with a toddler. Stayed at Sayaji Hotel Kolhapur - around 4 kms (good city road) from the main highway. Opted for Kolhapur as I reached just around lunch time (12:45 PM) after my drive from Mumbai. Its a 4 star hotel with great rooms and view. There is a small mall attached to the hotel and famous Dehati restaurant famous for thalis next to the hotel. Breakfast spread at this hotel is good too.

On return from South Goa, i stayed over at the Fern Residency Satara (again reached just around lunch time). Though rooms are good, restaurant is ok, big plus point is, this hotel is located on the service road of the main highway. So, no diversion into the city.
denzdm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 11:58   #3744
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by denzdm View Post
I did a similar trip this February/March with a toddler. Stayed at Sayaji Hotel Kolhapur - around 4 kms (good city road) from the main highway.
+1 for the Sayaji recommendation. I've stayed here multiple times enroute to Goa with my toddler. Easy to get in and out, very nice rooms, great service, decent food and a nice breakfast spread. Request for a room on the higher floors for the lovely view.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 12:40   #3745
BHPian

Quote:

You can check out Hotel Opal or Hotel Orient Crown in Kolhapur. If budget permits, then you can look at Sayaji. All of these do not require much detour from the main highway. While heading back to Mumbai from Goa too, it will depend on what time you're leaving; if your schedule permits, ideally Satara would be a good option for a mid-journey break. The Fern at Satara is a good hotel.
IamNikhil is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 22:29   #3746
BHPian

Quote:
.... will be travelling to North Goa in a couple of months, request suggestions for Hotels in Kolhapur for Overnight Halt, preferably near the highway itself.

Do also consider the Fern Residency, Karad. Nice, clean hotel with good food and ample parking and bang on the highway. Has small rooms and lies on the north bound lane. If you are heading south (towards Goa) it will be in the opposite lane but has a convenient undercross on the highway.

Have stayed here on our past two trip to Goa since I end up leaving only after office hours and The Fern, Karad offers an ideal stop for the night before starting early next morning for Goa.

Last edited by PGNarain : 6th September 2022 at 22:32.
PGNarain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 08:48   #3747
BHPian

Route Update: I've done Mumbai-Pune-Kolhapur-Goa 4 times since August '22. Took the Ajra-Amboli route and Belgavi-Chorla as well. I would strongly suggest you take Chorla if you are heading to South Goa.

The stretch a few kilometres from Goa Ves turn to Ajra is in bad shape. Its a crawl at multiple places and you will loose time as well as the ride is super harsh. Your suspension and body will take a beating.

Chorla (yesterdays update): Took Mumbai-Kolhapur-Belgavi-Chorla-Panjim route. Will keep info focussed on Chorla. The route from Belgavi to Chorla has massive craters in places which slows you down to a crawl, though once you pass these you gain speed. Weave through the craters and you are good. Though a heavily laden swift bottomed out in one of the craters as the driver didn't judge the crater properly. The craters on the ghat on KA side are huge, please traverse after gauging the depth as they change frequently due to heavy truck vehicular traffic.

Would not recommend anyone coming in to Goa to take Ajra Amboli route. Take the longer route and come in comfort.
lionell is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 19:34   #3748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carate_Kid View Post
Hi,
Any recent updates would be really helpful.
Did you complete the drive? If yes, how was it? I'm contemplating a trip to Goa around the end of September or first week of October. After reading about the road conditions, I'm torn between taking up another road trip or fly in.

Did you drive non-stop to Goa or break your journey in Pune/Kohlapur or somewhere else?

Drive Safe,
R-Six
Old 12th September 2022, 20:08   #3749
Senior - BHPian

Completed my Pune - South Goa trip over the last weekend. Took Pune - Kolhapur - Nipani - Uttur - Ajara - Amboli - Sawantwadi - North Goa - Betalbatim route

1. Pune - NIpani is usual affair with only 1/2 diversion(s). Overall road quality is good. Did Pune - Nipani in around 3:40 hrs on Thus (8th Sep) afternoon(1 PM start)
2. The stretch between Uttur - Ajara - Amboli is broken at many places. This brings the overall speed down BUT there are no craters. You have to slow down but at least they are not like a foot deep.
3. Amboli ghat is in good shape except only 2 patches of 20-30 mtrs.
4. Amboli ghat end - Sawantwadi also has some patches broken. Again you can maintain 20-30kmph here
5. Roads in Goa are quite good. You have massive 6 lane stretches between north Goa - Panaji - Vasco. Many stretches are concrete roads so you can easily do 90-100.
6. There is a 10-20 KM stretch which is 2 lanes around Panaji but the traffic is moving so you dont waste much time

I did Pune - Betalbatim in 9.5 hrs with 2 breaks in between. While on return, thanks to rain and traffic, the same route took me 12 hrs. I was in my Octavia with full luggage and 5 people onboard but scraped my car only once near Goa Ves.
neoonwheels is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 12:45   #3750
BHPian

I am going in a low strung sedan to Pune tomorrow. Even though you recommended the Chorla route, your advice seem to suggest that the craters on that route are worse than on Ajra Amboli. Do you think for us mere mortal sedan owners with low GC, Amboli might be better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
I would strongly suggest you take Chorla if you are heading to South Goa.

The craters on the ghat on KA side are huge, please traverse after gauging the depth as they change frequently due to heavy truck vehicular traffic.

Would not recommend anyone coming in to Goa to take Ajra Amboli route. Take the longer route and come in comfort.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks