Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2022, 10:52   #3826
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansd View Post
On that note, Instead of taking Anuskura ghat, why not take Amba ghat and touch NH66 at Lanza and drive down further?
Amba is WAY worse. Plus has WAY more truck traffic. During our trip, we did Anuskura on the onward journey, and Amba on the return. It was misery driving through Amba.

Quote:
how is the road quality on NH66 upto Lanja ?
Excellent.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 9th December 2022 at 10:54.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 12:47   #3827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
You can always consider this route:

Pune - Karad - Pachvad - Anuskura - Rajapur - NH17 all the way to Goa. We did this only last weekend, and barring the Anuskura ghat (which is in the best shape vs. other ghats), excellent roads.
Thanks. What would expected driving time be from Pune to Benaulim via this route, with an early 5:30-6am start?

EDIT: Just to confirm, is this the exact route:

Pune>Karad>Kokrud>Malkapur>Anuskura Ghat>Oni>Rajapur>Kankavli>follow NH66 all the way down?

Last edited by s4ch : 9th December 2022 at 12:54.
Old 9th December 2022, 13:12   #3828
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Thanks. What would expected driving time be from Pune to Benaulim via this route, with an early 5:30-6am start?
A friend did Pune - Kankavli by this route in 6 hours, so you can estimate 2.5-3 hours more for Benaulim. Depends on Panaji traffic.

Quote:
Pune>Karad>Kokrud>Malkapur>Anuskura Ghat>Oni>Rajapur>Kankavli>follow NH66 all the way down?
You needn't go to Rajapur. There is a left after you descend from Anuskura, that'll take you straight to Kharepatan. Will save about 30min.

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-screenshot-20221209-13.10.51.png
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 13:21   #3829
BHPian

Quote:
A friend did Pune - Kankavli by this route in 6 hours, so you can estimate 2.5-3 hours more for Benaulim. Depends on Panaji traffic.

You needn't go to Rajapur. There is a left after you descend from Anuskura, that'll take you straight to Kharepatan. Will save about 30min.
Thanks will give this a go on Monday. Am I right in understanding that NH66 all the way from Kharepatan into Goa is 4 lane and smooth?
Old 9th December 2022, 14:43   #3830
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Thanks will give this a go on Monday. Am I right in understanding that NH66 all the way from Kharepatan into Goa is 4 lane and smooth?
A 100%.

Also, watch out for an Interceptor (speed gun) right after Kankavli. Stick to a <100 km/hr speed. (Not sure what the speed limit is, but that is you see boards)
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 08:22   #3831
BHPian

Took the route via Anuskura-Kharepatan on 10th. The road conditions are okayish, but you will enjoy the views. Next time (some other day) would try to go via Anuskura-Oni as you would touch NH66 a bit faster.

Returned to Pune on Sunday via Amboli & was stuck at Navale bridge for 45 minutes. Need to figure out a new entry route to Pune.

Going back tomorrow. Will either take the Amboli route or try Pune-Varandha-Mahad & then onwards via NH66 to Sawantwadi.

Any updates on the road conditions via Nasrapur-Varandha-Mahad?
Hudson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 10:00   #3832
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
Returned to Pune on Sunday via Amboli & was stuck at Navale bridge for 45 minutes. Need to figure out a new entry route to Pune.
You can do Temghar - Hadapsar - Pune, but that would mean very dense city traffic, depending on where you stay.

Quote:
Any updates on the road conditions via Nasrapur-Varandha-Mahad?
We just did Mahad - Varandha - Bhor this past weekend. The roads are very 0/1; Varandha is excellent in most patches, but where it is broken, it is completely broken. And at multiple places, enough space for only one vehicle. So, if you're going during peak hours, good chance you'll be stuck.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 10:53   #3833
BHPian

Google is now suggesting the following route (Pune to Goa via Amboli) which is bypassing Ajra. Has anyone tried this? Is this suggested to avoid some bad patches around Ajra?

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-ajrabypass.jpg
Old 13th December 2022, 11:07   #3834
BHPian

Quote:
The roads are very 0/1; Varandha is excellent in most patches, but where it is broken, it is completely broken. And at multiple places, enough space for only one vehicle.
Thanks for the inputs. In that case, I'll stick to Amboli for now.

Since NH66 is relatively newer construction, it is a breeze to drive (did Kharepatan to Sawantwadi in approx 75 mins). We now only need a good road that joins NH48 to N66 from Pune.

Off topic: Indigo is starting flights to Goa Mopa airport from 5-Jan-2023
Hudson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 15:07   #3835
BHPian

Did Pune > Karad > Anuskura > Karepatan > NH66 route yesterday Dec 12, 2022 in a Scorpio.

My hot take:

Pune > Karad = super easy, 2.5 hours.

Karad > Anuskura = great roads for more than half of the way. Smooth and curvy, stunning scenery. Can maintain good speeds 60-80 till about 30km before Anuskura. There were some road works so had to take a 10 min diversion through narrow village lanes. There are 3 ghats I think, coming down from Anuskura is quite steep. Others are not too difficult. Roads in all ghats except Anuskura are smooth. Anuskura ghat has a very rough surface, no real big potholes though.

Anuskura>Kharepatan (NH66 junction)= almost 1.5 hours. The worst part of the journey. Some stretches very rough, narrow and just generally frustrating to drive on, literally all the way till you hit NH66. Maybe be better to take the slightly longer route and go to Oni and join NH66 there as you hit the highway way faster and more relaxing to drive. May be a bit longer this way but definitely a much easier drive.

NH66 > Goa = beautiful, smooth 4 lanes and can maintain 100 average speed easily. I didn’t see any speed traps but did keep an eye out.

Will I take this route again?

Not sure, as it is long due to the bad roads before and after Anuskura and this makes the journey seem a bit endless. But the views and NH66 does make up for it.

Considering taking my usual Anmod Belgaum route on the way back as the bad roads and frustrating part are limited to literally only 10km/30mins. Depends on whether the political situation calms down though.
s4ch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 20:29   #3836
BHPian

Planning on a trip to goa heading to Bogmalo for new years.
Will start from Mumbai.
Please suggest best option based on road condition and traffic.
Old 17th December 2022, 11:48   #3837
BHPian

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine drove back from Goa to Bombay yesterday. He noticed that there was a lot of road works in progress around Ajra. He also felt that the road had improved quite a lot from when he drove down 10 days ago. So, overall I think we can safely say that the Amboli ghat with the (relatively) best roads out of all 3 ghats, should now be the default route to take to and from Goa.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2022, 20:18   #3838

I came from Pune to Tarkarli yesterday. Pune to Karad to Anuskra to Malvan. The road until Anuskra was quite good. From there until NH 66 was very bad.

On my return, I would like to avoid this route. Someone suggested I go from Malavan to Kankavali to Radhanagri to Kolhapur to Pune.

Has anyone taken this route recently - any idea of the road condition ?
Old 21st December 2022, 03:07   #3839
BHPian

Hi All,

I am driving from Pune to Arpora in Jan 2nd week. This is my first long road trip. I have not done more than 100kms in the past hence a bit anxious. Note that i have been driving since past 5 years but mostly in city. What is the best route for a person like me? Also, any other suggestions are welcome for a newbie.

I have an XL6. Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Old 22nd December 2022, 11:43   #3840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pras92003 View Post
Hi All,

I am driving from Pune to Arpora in Jan 2nd week. This is my first long road trip. I have not done more than 100kms in the past hence a bit anxious. Note that i have been driving since past 5 years but mostly in city. What is the best route for a person like me? Also, any other suggestions are welcome for a newbie.

I have an XL6. Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Hi Pras92003,

I would suggest that you use the normal road to drive down to Goa.
Poona, Satara, Kolhapur, Nipani, (You have to Turn right and cross the highway here)Uttur, Ajra, Amboli Ghat, Sawantwadi, Banda, Goa Border, Hotel Green Park (Guirim), Parra, Nagoa and finally Arpora.

1. Kambhatki Ghat is a one way system so fairly free flowing traffic. However, there is always one idiot going going the wrong way so do NOT overtake on blind turns.

2. Decent fast food (OK type) and more important, clean washrooms are available at Hotel Sai International which is 35 Kms before Kolhapur.

3. Carry all original car documents in a file as you will be crossing state borders. Ensure Insurance & PUC are up to date.

4. Ensure your Fastag is pre loaded with at least Rs. 1000.00

5. Be careful when crossing the Highway at Nipani (Goa Ves Restaurant) as fast moving traffic will be coming down at you from your left hand side. There is a large break in the central divider so take your time and cross safely.

6. As soon as you cross the highway, you have two restaurants. Goa Ves on your right and another on your left. I can't remember the name of the restaurant but his food is pretty good. Relatively clean washrooms. If you see a tourist bus parked there, leave it and move on.

7. Hotel Minerva at Ajra also has decent food, parking and clean washrooms.

8. Do NOT exceed the speed limit in Goa - especially on bridges. You WILL get fined and your license taken away.

9. Do NOT get into any road rage incidents with GA registered cars. Just keep your cool and drive on. MH cars are not really popular in Goa.

10. Keep G Maps on at all times. Carry a good car charger. Carry a few of those cheap black stick on sunshades. Carry a good music playlist or USB with you. Carry snacks and plenty of water. Do a thorough check of your XL6 at least a week before departure. Check tyre pressure in all 5 tyres. If any belts are suspect, change them.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks