Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2022, 23:43   #3751
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodex View Post
I am going in a low strung sedan to Pune tomorrow. Even though you recommended the Chorla route, your advice seem to suggest that the craters on that route are worse than on Ajra Amboli. Do you think for us mere mortal sedan owners with low GC, Amboli might be better?
Ajra Amboli route is laden with potholes and broken tarmac for long stretches. It makes the drive excruciatingly slow but traversable. It’s bone jarring at places. If ground clearance is an issue brave the broken roads. I drive an xl6 and I took both routes. I decided to take a chance with the craters at chorla than break my back with a slow drive.
lionell is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 17:29   #3752
BHPian

Travelling to Candolim tomorrow from Pune, start is at 6 am. Travelling in Hyundai Tucson 2020, 4 adults. i have a couple of questions

1. Still in a dilemma about the route Amboli or Chorla, i have gone thru the pro's and con's of both, but indecisive.
2. Decent place for breakfast enroute
Any suggestions will help
Old 19th September 2022, 08:03   #3753
BHPian

Drove from Goa to Pune yesterday, took the Chorla route as per suggestions here. As mentioned there are around 30 craters on the route between Goa border and Belgaum you have to navigate. I drove a sedan and managed to avoid scrapping by carefully navigating them. Ironically the only two times it scrapped was on those unscientific speed breakers I didn't diagonally crawl across.

I'd recommend Chorla if it is daytime and you don't have rain. Rain can mean havoc since some of the gaps are over a feet deep. An innova turned see-saw when it decided to plow though instead of waiting to go around a ditch.

Last edited by astrodex : 19th September 2022 at 08:04.
astrodex is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 19:21   #3754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanks_Jazz View Post
TL DR : We ( Myself, Wife, Parents and our 1 yr old Daughter) will be travelling to North Goa in a couple of months, request suggestions for Hotels in Kolhapur for Overnight Halt, preferably near the highway itself.
Waman's in Kolhapur (Orient Crown) is good place to stay and just 1.5 km from Highway. Veeskar the Fern is upscale and very next to Orient Crown but never tried. Food at Orient crown is also decent.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 19th September 2022 at 20:55. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
CANPUSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 07:49   #3755
BHPian

Good morning
I'm undertaking a road trip on a motorcycle to Goa from Panvel on the 30th September 2022 with pillion and luggage. Which road would be advisable. Considering the rain and road condition.
Please do advice, as this is my first road trip and will really appreciate your inputs.
Thank you so much. . .

Last edited by aoussie : 22nd September 2022 at 07:51. Reason: Wrong content
Old 22nd September 2022, 15:01   #3756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
Ajra Amboli
Hi Lionell,

I'm driving down to Arambol on 2nd Oct. While I understand that if planning for South Goa, taking the Chorla Ghat route seems to be a better option. Would you suggest the same even if for someone driving to Arambol?

Interestingly, even though it is 50 KMs longer, Google Maps shows that it would be relatively quicker to take the Chorla Ghat section than take the Ajra Amboli section.

Oh by the way, good to see you here This is Binoy

Drive Safe,
R-Six
Old 22nd September 2022, 18:19   #3757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Hi Lionell,

While I understand that if planning for South Goa, taking the Chorla Ghat route seems to be a better option. Would you suggest the same even if for someone driving to Arambol?
While I would recommend Chorla even if you plan to go to Arambol. Arambol is way up North and you will compensate the time lost going all the way down if you take the Ajra route.

Route 1:
I would suggest you stick to the NH right uptill Sankeshwar. Take a right from there to Gadhinglaj (those roads are better) onwards to Ajra and then Pernem with your final destination being Arambol.

Route 2: Chorla to Bicholim and Aldona onwards to Mapusa then Siolim, Mandrem to Arambol.

It makes little sense to come all the way down to Mapusa and then head up. But yes the drive within Goa is good, so I never mind taking longer and more comfortable routes. The choice is yours :-)
lionell is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 18:24   #3758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoussie View Post
Good morning
I'm undertaking a road trip on a motorcycle to Goa from Panvel
Take the Chorla Route. But do not do it post 7pm. Saying this because you are on a motorcycle.

A previous post mentioned 30 craters on the KA side of Chorla which are huge. I did not count the number of craters on my to and fro trips to Mumbai last three months but every time I could see them progressively growing in number and depth , but you will easily navigate it on a bike no problems there.

I would recommend that you break in Belgaum and then resume early next morning, it will be an awesome ride.
lionell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 20:19   #3759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
Take the Chorla Route. But do not do it post 7pm. Saying this because you are on a motorcycle.

I would recommend that you break in Belgaum and then resume early next morning, it will be an awesome ride.
Thank you so much for replying. Will follow your advice and go.

Thank you so much.
God be with you always.
Old 25th September 2022, 08:36   #3760
BHPian

There is a new starbucks opening next to the Mcdonald’s and burger king at unchgaon,Kolhapur. Also there is another McDonald's coming up after Kognoli toll naka on the left while heading south.Its part of a much larger food court.We have now two Mcdonald’s within 35 kms of each other on opposite sides of the road
alokn87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 09:28   #3761
BHPian

Travelling to South Goa from Vashi on 29th Sept. Google shows the Anmod Ghat route. Most of the above suggestions are for the Chorla ghat. What is the condition of Anmod Ghat? I am a sedate driver travelling with my family in a Honda city. Any suitable route suggestions based on the rains and road conditions?

Last edited by chittybang : 27th September 2022 at 09:29. Reason: addition of location
Old 27th September 2022, 12:59   #3762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittybang View Post
Any suitable route suggestions based on the rains and road conditions?
Since you are driving from Vashi to South Goa, I think Chorla ghat section might make more sense than taking the Anmod section. It looks like both these sections are no better but Anmod ghat route might be a bit longer as well.

Cross posting from Bangalore - Goa route thread where someone recently posted about Anmod ghat's road conditions. Please check the following post. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Did a trip to Goa this last weekend and back yesterday. Took Anmod ghat on both ways. Dharwad - Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem - Panaji - North Goa.

Drive Safe,
R-Six
Old 27th September 2022, 13:50   #3763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Travelling to South Goa from Vashi on 29th Sept. Google shows the Anmod Ghat route. Most of the above suggestions are for the Chorla ghat. What is the condition of Anmod Ghat? I am a sedate driver travelling with my family in a Honda city. Any suitable route suggestions based on the rains and road conditions?
Chorla too have some deadly potholes, almost a foot deep. I travelled in rainy season last month and they were filled with water making it miserable to judge the depth. With the rains reduced(?) that risk can be taken. However you are in a low slung sedan and that could make things a bit complicated. I faced the ire of both ghats in August and don't have latest updates. If rains are low/stopped you can go ahead with Chorla.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 16:59   #3764
BHPian

Thanks for the quick reply. Based on the advice I will be taking the Chorla route. Can anyone suggest which sections have the worst pot holes?

Has anyone travelled in the last week. I was concerned because the rains have continued in Mumbai and so I suspect I may end up driving in the rains which is a lovely experience but can get ruined when encountered by massive water filled potholes.
Old 27th September 2022, 18:41   #3765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. Based on the advice I will be taking the Chorla route. Can anyone suggest which sections have the worst pot holes?
Post Jamboti but primarily from Kankumbi to Goa border road was pathetic. The turns in ghat section were horrible due to heavy traffic damaging the roads. You may see some smooth patches in between but will be absolutely smooth as soon as you enter Goa and stay that way all the way.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks