Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2020, 06:45   #3151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
A quick update from my drive from Balewadi Pune today AM, in case it is useful to anyone traveling this week.

Route was Nipani, Amboli, Sawantwadi, Insuli, after that taking the further left near / on the left of Satarda bridge and then cutting in finally to hit Nerul.

Reached our destination at 12:30 pm.
Total distance door to door: 443 kms.

The road throughout was absolutely acceptably for the 3 GT. A few bad patches but nothing of undue concern. Traffic was heavy at times but again, we were never in a jam as such, despite the 4 laning road works going on for a long part of the route in Goa.
Presume you were on NH66 from the Goa border till near Candolim. Am leaving tomorrow morning. Google Maps shows the Amboli route and gives only Chorla as an alternative - it refuses to show Anmod (which it shows as the preferred route in the opposite direction), which makes me reluctant to try that. Will check again tomorrow and perhaps try Amboli.
Old 24th December 2020, 08:05   #3152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Presume you were on NH66 from the Goa border till near Candolim.
That’s right. I was on NH 66. Cut in towards Candolim a little before Mandovi Hospital as per google maps (for reference).

In fact today morning I will be going towards South on NH 66 just ahead of Kesarvale. To Bavaria BMW basically to get something checked. So I’ll get a feel of NH 66 south bound as well.
Old 24th December 2020, 13:18   #3153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

Anmod ghat is in pristine condition. Nothing to worry about. A small section between Anmod and the Bhimgad sanctuary gate is broken bad. I measured it and it is about 5kms of bad roads till the gate and about 6-7 km between the gate and Khanapur.
Would you still recommend Anmod while going to north goa? Gmaps suggests Amboli ghat since i will be going to Assagao. I will be taking the 5 so definitely Chorla is out of question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
1. Is it safe to start at 3 AM? Will the December Fog affect visibility on the Mum-Pune expressway? Especially on the Lonavla ghat?
2. There is night curfew in Mumbai, will they not allow to pass the Khalapur toll?
How was the visibility on your way? Also did you face any curfew restrictions since you left at 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post

The road throughout was absolutely acceptably for the 3 GT. A few bad patches but nothing of undue concern. Traffic was heavy at times but again, we were never in a jam as such, despite the 4 laning road works going on for a long part of the route in Goa.

Hope this helps anyone traveling to North / North - Central part of Goa.
Oh great i was dreading taking the 5 after reading the horror stories of Chorla and the bad patches of Amboli. Are you planning to take the same route on your way back or try Anmod ghat?
Old 24th December 2020, 22:14   #3154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Sorry if my post confuses you even more, but Phondaghat via Radhanagari WLS is also an option for traveling to Kankavli. However, no idea of the current road conditions in it.

Will look forward to your update, whichever option you choose finally.
I took this route on my recent trip to Tarkarli.

Road is in good condition for most part but its very narrow and average speed through Radhanagari and Phonda will be below 30KMph. Better take Amboli or GaganBawda.
geekyengineer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 10:25   #3155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarty View Post
VWAllstar and Axe77, I am heading to North Goa from Pune tomorrow morning. I was planning to leave by 5am but was concerned about the impact of the curfew.

Were you able to pass unhindered?

I took the Amboli route to North Goa in the second week of Nov and it was fine except for one 20-30min patch as the ghats were ending. Even that wasn't horrible as we saw low slung cars like a Honda City make it through unscathed.

On our return, Google Maps took us on a route that bypassed Pernem, it was a very narrow road and meeting oncoming traffic would have required backing up a bit and generally 'adjusting' but the road was much better and would have been quite enjoyable in a sporty car.

Thanks
Let at 6am from Kalyani Nagar and it took me 7:20 to reach Siolim, including breaks and 20 min stuck at one of the toll booths. I took the Amboli route and the roads actually seem better than last month.

Last edited by awarty : 25th December 2020 at 10:48. Reason: Extra space & typo
awarty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 19:18   #3156
Distinguished - BHPian

Got back home early this evening after leaving Arossim at 720 am via the Amboli route. Gambled that the Goa stretch would be fast given my early Christmas morning start, and that turned out to be correct. Have never seen Amboli Ghat in such a pristine condition - made Amboli in 2 hours 20 minutes, and Nipani in 3 hours 40 door to door after a 15 minute halt at Amboli. The rest of the journey was as good - though I did pity the folks headed the opposite way. Made it home by 555 pm - 10 hours 35 minutes door to door with a total halt of 1 hour including lunch.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th December 2020 at 20:43. Reason: As requested. Thanks.
Hayek is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 17:52   #3157
BHPian

Left from Chembur at 05:30 and reached Islampaur at 11:30. Took the Peth exit for Anuskara Ghat. The roads are 90% good till the start of the Ghat. The ghat section is well laid and has some very good scenic views. Exit was at Oni and from there the old highway is just brilliant all the way upto Sawantwadi. It took me nearly 4 hours from Islampur to Rajapur.
Apparently the Old Highway from Panvel is also doable as per my FIL. It isnt as bad as it was a few months earlier. Till Chiplun the diversions are troublesome however post that it's butter smooth. Roads at the entry of Goa are still been made. Hope this helps all who plan to Drive down to Goa this week.
VWAllstar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 19:43   #3158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got back home early this evening after leaving Arossim at 720 am via the Amboli route. .
Quote:
Left from Chembur at 05:30 ... Hope this helps all who plan to Drive down to Goa this week.
Dear both, can you please share a google map or similar view (approx is ok) for the best route suggested from Mumbai to Goa.

- Looking to tentatively start on 1st Jan for 8-9 day round trip.
- idea to possibly stay enroute in good locations for 1 day each on both legs of travel
- Its a zero prebooking plan, so all will be runtime flexi (and risky) choices
- Any good locations/hotels for one night stay with good views and surroundings to consider.
- anything specifically to avoid /reroute.

Please be very free in adamantly recommending anything you fell strongly.
dipen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 21:30   #3159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Please be very free in adamantly recommending anything you fell strongly.
Firstly do not head without a booking. There is considerable crowd here in Goa. 1st being a Friday, expect the crowd to stay back till 3rd Jan. You can take the Amboli Ghat as it is pretty good now. Entirely depends on your choice of first destination - North or South.

I suggest drive down via Amboli Ghat and reach Panjim. Enjoy the popular beaches - Baga, Calangute etc and stay for two days here. Lemon tree at Baga Beach is a good property which is decently priced as well. Then you may head to Old / Vella Goa for some history lessons and feel the real Goa

Most importantly enjoy the English breakfast at Infantaria, Goan fish curry and rice
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_20201227_184146.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st January 2021 at 11:30. Reason: Rule #11 violation. Please avoid references of alcohol on the forums.
VWAllstar is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 22:08   #3160
Distinguished - BHPian

I left for Goa on 21st Dec. Morning from Mumbai (Mulund West) around 5:45 am and reached South Goa (ITC, Arossim Beach) @ 3:40 pm. Hence under 10 hrz with stoppages.

Took the Mumbai - Kohlapur - Belgaum - Bhimgad, Bhagvan Mahavir Sancuary - Mollem - South Goa stretch and found it to be satisfactory.

Was in the Fortuner hence was faster than most vehicles on bad roads particularly in the Pune - Satara stretch & through the Wildlife Sanctuaries.

Quote:
This took me to something called Patil Galli, a narrow street with vehicles parked on both sides and oversmart drivers trying to cut in created a logjam.
I believe you mean this Galli ;

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-galli.jpg

Hayek, thanks to your post: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4958898 (Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries)
helped me en route Goa & know what i too returned back from Goa the same day you did i.e. Christmas morning & took the Amboli Ghat - Nipani Route. What a co-incidence

Last edited by karan561 : 28th December 2020 at 22:11.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 06:05   #3161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Dear both, can you please share a google map or similar view (approx is ok) for the best route suggested from Mumbai to Goa.

- Looking to tentatively start on 1st Jan for 8-9 day
Quote:
Firstly do not head without a booking. There is considerable crowd here in Goa.
Would certainly agree with VWAllstar. Goa is packed. Our hotel was full - some other hotels are operating only 60-65% of the rooms. Tough to recommend something without clarity on budgets or what you want - I have stayed in decent places which are as low as ₹4000 per night, and you could go for as luxurious as you can imagine (how about a Private Pool room at the ITC).

North VS South Goa is a function of personal choice - in a pandemic year, I preferred the quieter South Goa beaches (though North Goa is also quieter than usual, with the Russian tourists in particular missing).

Amboli was fantastic - but am not sure how NH66 through Goa will be if you hit it once traffic has built up. If you are staying in the South, do consider the same route I used - Anmod out and Amboli back. There may be some Belgaum locals like Vivek95 who can help you avoid the inner city mess Google maps took me into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
I left for Goa on 21st Dec. Morning from Mumbai (Mulund West) around 5:45 am and reached South Goa (ITC, Arossim Beach) @ 3:40 pm.

Took the Mumbai - Kohlapur - Belgaum - Bhimgad, Bhagvan Mahavir Sancuary - Mollem - South Goa stretch and found it to be satisfactory.

Was in the Fortuner hence was faster than most vehicles on bad roads
Incredible man - I was in the ITC too from the 20th to 25th. You may have seen my Blue X3 in the parking. Don’t think I could have done a sub 10 hour door to door even with no traffic - sub 10 hour drive time is as good as it gets for me��

Last edited by Hayek : 29th December 2020 at 06:07.
Hayek is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 14:47   #3162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Incredible man - I was in the ITC too from the 20th to 25th.
Ohh ! That's a bad miss then. Very unfortunate.

Quote:
You may have seen my Blue X3 in the parking.
Yes, i believe so i did.

Quote:
Don’t think I could have done a sub 10 hour door to door even with no traffic - sub 10 hour drive time is as good as it gets for me��
Yes, was a good time considering was travelling with family (Wife + Baby) & no one got sick hence a job well done
Old 31st December 2020, 19:35   #3163
BHPian

I drove to Goa via Chorla ghat last week. Kolhapur -> Belgaum -> Chrola -> Sanquelim -> Varca and back on the same route. The Chorla ghat is drivable. From the Goa check post to the Karnataka border, it is exactly 13 KM stretch that is bad. (You can start counting the 13 KM while entering from Karnataka, there is a banner at the top which says Thanks for visiting Karnataka or something) In the Chorla ghat, the road is literally stolen (That's what Chorla means in Marathi!!). It isn't as bad as some drivers have mentioned. I was in my Vento and it never scrapped the bottom, it just takes a little slow driving, lots of patience and of course some driving skills and judgement. There is one particular pot hole that is approximately 8 to 10 inches deep and little wider which was the only real scare I had, rest was just bad roads but not too deep craters. I heard some road construction is going on this route, its a myth, I saw one road roller which was lying there probably for days if not months. I would prefer this road any day than the Amboli route, just because I have to travel to Sanquelim.

Apart from the Chorla ghat itself the other road is very nice. Once you cross the Goa checkpost, the roads in Goa are also fabulous.

Crossing Belgaum was not a problem for me, I stick to the usual Rani Chennama circle route and did not take the 'Patil Galli' as Google suggested. The road near KLE is being worked upon, but that is not an issue considering low traffic in this area anyways.
Figopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 20:46   #3164
BHPian

We finally came back to Mumbai today afternoon. We started from Majorda at 11.45AM and reached Fairfield Belgaum at 3.45PM via Ponda - Anmod - Bhimgad WLS - Khanapur - Belgaum. Stops for Fuel, Bio-Breaks, Liquor Checks and Photos took about 30mins total. Checks for Liquor at Goa Border and then again at Anmod Ghat Check Post.

Road wise nothing new to report, roads upto the Anmod Check-Post are very good with few broken patches. Concretization is almost complete but most of the concrete parts are without road shoulders with loose mud piled in several places for the work. After Anmod and in the Bhimgad WLS, roads are largely good (not smooth) but the last 15-20 kms till the road joins the highway are in a bad shape and will slow you down considerably, much moreso if you happen to be traveling in a sedan.

Once on the highway, Gmaps was putting us via an alternate route and showing road closures on the highway which didn't exist. There is work ongoing, but diversions are available. Problem at Khanapur and Belgaum for us was primarily due to traffic. Heavy Truck and Sugarcane Tractor Traffic, which unluckily compounded due to some rally / roadshow at both Khanapur and Belgaum and which saw huge crowds blocking roads and disrupting traffic.

Next day, 31st (today) we left Fairfield, Belgaum at 4.45AM and reached Kharghar at 10.45AM with one stop for bio-break and photos after Satara and a fuel top up at Shell Petrol Pump on the Pune by-pass, totalling about 20mins max. Did not encounter any checks whatsoever for Covid etc, and for a change simply breezed through all the tolls without any waiting whatsoever, except at the last toll
- Khalapur where a few idiots tried paying for toll by every possible combination, fast-tag then Paytm, then cash, then card + cash... I kid you not!

I found the roads in the north bound carriageway much better than southbound. Some parts were simply butter smooth and we felt we were on a magic carpet.
Roads take a turn for the worse after Satara and upto Pune, but really nothing that I felt was not manageable while maintaining 3 digit speeds. Traffic again was sparse compared to the southbound lane with huge jams at Lonavala Ghats in the opposite lane. Watch out for unmarked sugarcane tractors and errant truck and motorcyclists driving down the highway in the wrong direction!

Rest was awesome, had a wonderful drive and an amazing end to a well deserved holiday!

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-20201231_071111.jpg
Old 31st December 2020, 21:18   #3165
BHPian

Guys,
a quick question: Are any covid test results needed to enter or leave Goa?
Planning to do Kokan and North Goa tomorrow or Weekend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks