Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2020, 23:48   #3031

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

If this is a sister concern of Starlight in Arpora then their quality and service has taken a nosedive. Martin's corner is the most overrated restaurant

Anantashram had started off in Porvorim (North Goa) when they picked up everything from Girgaum and moved. Didn't know it was back in action at Vasco. This is something I'll surely try.
You are most welcome moralfibre.. always happy to point people towards a fantastic meal!

Starlight Assolna is owned by a guy called Relly Rodrigues - don't know if it's a sister concern of Starlight in Arpora (have never been there). Since Relly knows me personally (blame my frequent visits) I have hardly had any issues with the service there. Its not a fancy place, but a nice place to have a leisurely meal. Frequented mostly by locals, his prices are also not too high. Its right by the river side, so I would recommend you to go there for Lunch (reach early latest by 1230 or so to get a table by the river side). Do try their signature dish - Crab Xec Xec!

You should also try Joe's River Cove in Cavelossim (it was shut down for renovation in September, but may be has opened up now)

Anantashram in Vasco has no relation with the blessing that Anantashram in Khotachiwadi Girgaum was!! You make me nostalgic by the mention of Khapde brothers' Anantashram here!

As for Martin's Corner, as I said - its all subjective.
Capt. Haddock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 10:40   #3032

Pune to Goa by road

Mod note: Post moved, please use Search to find a relevant thread before opening a new one. Thanks.

Am planning on driving from Pune to Goa tomorrow with family. Self drive, Hyundai Creta...Normally, I take the Amboli Ghat route.
Just need reconfirmation, if possible, that this would be the best route at this time. Thanks

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th October 2020 at 10:57.
Old 9th October 2020, 11:56   #3033
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pune to Goa by road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratt View Post
Am planning on driving from Pune to Goa tomorrow with family. Self drive, Hyundai Creta...Normally, I take the Amboli Ghat route.
Just need reconfirmation, if possible, that this would be the best route at this time. Thanks
Yes, Amboli would be the optimal route right now. Take a right at Nipani and head through Amboli. It's a bit patchy for long stretches, but won't be a problem unless you have low profile tyres or a low slung car. I just did this route a few days back.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 13:36   #3034

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
+1. I am right now in South Goa. Came via Chorla on 2nd October. My X3 managed those craters fine, however, came across a professionally driven Ertiga stuck in one of the craters near Goa border. We were held up for over 20min in the traffic jam due to this.

Planning to return via Amboli.

-BJ

I am planning to travel to South Goa early next week. I have always used Chorla Ghat, but this post concerns me now. I will be in a Vento, and am aware it does not have the best of GC...

I have never travelled via Anmod, and I do recollect someone mentioned that it is not open for vehicular traffic in general. I frankly cannot comprehend this. Can someone please help?

I am just concerned that I do not want to be the only one on an unknown road really. Any leads on how this road is will be helpful.
P.S. I will be travelling with Family.

Travelling via Amboli is not really a good option since then I will have to travel full North-South Goa distance on under construction roads...
Old 9th October 2020, 13:40   #3035
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagarpradhan85 View Post
I have never travelled via Anmod, and I do recollect someone mentioned that it is not open for vehicular traffic in general. I frankly cannot comprehend this. Can someone please help?

I am just concerned that I do not want to be the only one on an unknown road really. Any leads on how this road is will be helpful.
P.S. I will be travelling with Family.
Anmod ghat is open and operational for light vehicles. Heavy vehicles like trucks, buses, etc are banned. There is a barrier put in to prevent their entry. In the KA stretch (concrete), please be careful as the road is just a concrete slab and ends at the end of the slab. There is no run off area or catch areas. What exists is a sheer drop in the gutter if you happen to explore the edges of the roads.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 14:09   #3036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anmod is the best option currently if you are going to South Goa. Link for Belgaum - Colva route via Bhimgad Wildlife sanctuary is given below. After crossing Khanapur, look out for a bridge over the river Malaprabha, and then the Central Village Pottery Institute. The right turn for Bhimgad WLS is immediately after the CVPI premises.

https://goo.gl/maps/Mqk4wZnKCa2ZTByN7

Like moralfibre mentioned, just be careful on the concrete stretches, as there is no shoulder for the road. A slight mistake can land you in the gutter.

Quote:
Bookmarked and saved all that you shared. But, don't stop! I am putting together this list.
Hey Kiran, how about posting that consolidated list here?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...out-goa-5.html (A Guide : Eating out in Goa)

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 9th October 2020 at 14:17.
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 11:27   #3037

Quote:
Anmod ghat is open and operational for light vehicles. Heavy vehicles like trucks, buses, etc are banned. There is a barrier put in to prevent their entry. In the KA stretch (concrete), please be careful as the road is just a concrete slab and ends at the end of the slab. There is no run off area or catch areas. What exists is a sheer drop in the gutter if you happen to explore the edges of the roads.
Thank you, this is helpful.
Any estimate how long this sort of a patch is? and if that allows 2 cars to pass each other comfortably.

I hope this is not the 'core' twisty ghat section, because one tends to go over the edges when there are sharp/ continuous curves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Anmod is the best option currently if you are going to South Goa. Link for Belgaum - Colva route via Bhimgad Wildlife sanctuary is given below. After crossing Khanapur, look out for a bridge over the river Malaprabha, and then the Central Village Pottery Institute. The right turn for Bhimgad WLS is immediately after the CVPI premises.

https://goo.gl/maps/Mqk4wZnKCa2ZTByN7

Like moralfibre mentioned, just be careful on the concrete stretches, as there is no shoulder for the road. A slight mistake can land you in the gutter.
Thank you.... I will use google maps, guessing that will be the default route picked up by maps?

Apologies for the questions, but Last time round when I was crossing Chorla, noticed that there are some patches with ultra light traffic, and that tends to makes you feel a little concerned, especially when its your first time...
Old 10th October 2020, 13:48   #3038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you.... I will use google maps, guessing that will be the default route picked up by maps? ...
Don't know, but if you explicitly add the stops as Belgaum - Anmod check post - your destination, it will show you this route.
Old 10th October 2020, 14:45   #3039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Travelling via Amboli is not really a good option since then I will have to travel full North-South Goa distance on under construction roads...
Depends. I came back from Colva, was navigated through bylanes and rural roads, good surface but single lane. The route was full of greens and occasional water bodies, all the way up to a few kilometres just before Panjim Mandovi Bridge where it merged with Old NH-17. The route was like this.

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_20201004_070139.jpg

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-img_20201004_1315573.jpg

Drove on under construction Bombay Goa NH only after this point onwards. That too was quite manageable due to thin traffic currently in Goa. Both routes took similar times to get to Kolhapur. If you are not in a hurry, it is a good option- you can see some unseen part of rural Goa as bonus. Take your call.

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 10th October 2020 at 15:00.
bj96 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 19:28   #3040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Depends. I came back from Colva, was navigated through bylanes and rural roads, good surface but single lane. The route was full of greens and occasional water bodies, all the way up to a few kilometres just before Panjim Mandovi Bridge where it merged with Old NH-17. The route was like this.

Attachment 2065819

Attachment 2065820

Drove on under construction Bombay Goa NH only after this point onwards. That too was quite manageable due to thin traffic currently in Goa. Both routes took similar times to get to Kolhapur. If you are not in a hurry, it is a good option- you can see some unseen part of rural Goa as bonus. Take your call.

-BJ
The pictures look great.
Let me explore the Amboli option. I have used it in the past and noted that it is also quite beautiful especially during monsoons.

Last edited by moralfibre : 12th October 2020 at 13:26. Reason: Avoid typing with excessive dots.
Old 13th October 2020, 13:25   #3041
BHPian

Attesting all the previous updates -

For Goa to Belgaum, the only best option at present with respect to good roads all throughout is the Anmod ghat--Bhimgad WLS--Khanapur route , whether you are starting from North Goa or South Goa. Period !!

I drove Mumbai--Manipal--Mumbai via Belgaum over last 3 days. As the Arabail ghat on Hubli--Ankola was very bad intermittently, I skipped it during return journey and instead headed into Goa from Ankola and took Madgaon--Mollem--Anmod ghat--Bhimgad WLS--Khanapur--Belgaum route to touch NH4 towards Mumbai. Anmod ghat in Goa limits is all tarmac but nice and smooth, that in Karnataka is all concrete, just needs caution over the steep edges. Bhimgad WLS is all good too save some ocassional potholes. End part of Khanapur--Belgaum is problematic but not a major concern.
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 10:20   #3042
BHPian

Came back to Mumbai after a week's time very well spent in Goa. Stayed south at Canacona. Goa, south especially, is a pure bliss right now, if you are the type who likes peace, tranquillity and space. We did not venture out of the hotel, which was very good in terms of following safety and sanitization in these current (aka crazy) times. Had the beach all to ourselves apart from the fishermen folks who were there only in the mornings. Evenings saw some more humans, but most from the neighbouring fishing village. Early morning and evening walks were never so good, that too bare feet.

Hotel food was nothing to complain about, as was the room with the view. WFH was redefined for me sitting in the balcony, looking over the sea. My son attended all days of school from the hotel itself without a bit of tantrums. After all this, imagine my state of mind and emotions being back in Mumbai, amplified by the power cut fiasco. Yes, that Monday was our first day in Mumbai after that wonderful time in Goa.

Anyway, back to the route details. We took Belgaum Khanapur Anmod Ghat route. I was a bit skeptical about it when I was to choose this route at the fork where the left goes to anmod and right one to Chorla in Beelgaum. Took the call to trust Gmaps, and didn't regret at all. Though Gmaps has got me into some unpleasant routes sometime, this one was not one of them. There are some small patches up to the time you turn right at checkpost for 'concretized' ghats, where roads are broken, but nothing that can't be manoeuvred around. The best part was the scenic drive, with minimal traffic. Just follow gmaps and this drive maybe one of the best ones you have had. We were lucky to witness sunshine and rains and overcast weather all during this 4 hour stretch which really brought out the landscape and its beauty. Soemthing most of the Mumbaikars have forgotten that it exists.

The shoulder issue of that concretized ghat is only a problem if you are not mindful of it. but a seasoned driver will not face any problems. When you enter Goa state, surprisingly the roads are all in excellent condition. super smooth. No trouble at all.

Only caution for peeps traveling with family, after belaguam, till you reach Goa checkpost after the ghats, there is hardly any place to take a pause for eating or bio breaks. Other than that - just be a little mindful of the locals driving and walking on the road. I saw a few cars from outside bullying them to give side and cutting them dangerously. Felt sad about it. It's their home and no one has got any right to do that. Least is that they could have been respectful and disciplined in their driving. Saw a couple of trucks and dumpers on this stretch, but they let us pass through as soon as they had shoulder enough to give side. Didn't need to use dippers or horn for that.

Nothing that I can contribute more on the eateries part since mostly all of it is covered. Just that row on Martin's - I beg to differ from many that it is over rated. Everytime I have been there, I have found it better than the last time.
1lokesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 10:12   #3043

Quote:
The pictures look great.
Let me explore the Amboli option. I have used it in the past and noted that it is also quite beautiful especially during monsoons.

Hi
Just wanted to check if you did the Amboli Route. I am planning to drive from Pune Vasco on 19 Oct. I have always found the Amboli route more comfortable.
Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 20:59   #3044

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Just that row on Martin's - I beg to differ from many that it is over rated. Everytime I have been there, I have found it better than the last time.
Absolutely, could not agree more.
Every time I visit Martin's the food is great. I have found them to maintain the quality and taste of food over a period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior69 View Post
Hi
Just wanted to check if you did the Amboli Route. I am planning to drive from Pune Vasco on 19 Oct. I have always found the Amboli route more comfortable.
Thanks
Sorry, I guess my reply is late! I took the Anmod route.
On the Belgaum-Khanapur stretch, I found a couple of cars with MH-12 registration and tagged along with them through the Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary.

Note: Bhimgad WLS is very scenic but devoid of mobile network (at least Vi and Airtel). So you are quite on your own on the stretch. Gam's won't work. Mine did not. Not even the GPS.
It is about 34 kms of roads where you see hardly any people. Only occasional cars or very few bikes passing by. And yes, occasional patches with potholes. If you have a low slung sedan, you will have to drop to single digit speeds. Towards Goa, once you take the right for Anmod ghat, roads are great throughout. I went to the South via Ponda-Borim, to ensure that I was always on well maintained roads and light traffic.
I guess Bhimgad WLS route is closed from 6pm to 6am. I saw some boards, but regular members on the group can verify.
Sagarpradhan85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 00:36   #3045
BHPian

Hi. I will be travelling to South goa next week and Amboli ghat has always been my prefered route. I was checking the route options and saw the Anmod route as the shortest and fastest.

Between Amboli ghat and Anmod ghat which one's the better option?

Super comfortable taking Amboli ghat as always. I travel to goa at least once every year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks