Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2020, 19:33   #3136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Drove down to South Goa (Betalbatim) yesterday from Bombay. Used the Belgaum - Bhimgad Sanctury - Anmod Ghat route which everyone recommended for South Goa. It was certainly not the most pleasant driving experience - if the NH748 - Bhimgad Sanctury route is the better option, I dread to think how bad the Chorla Ghat route must be.

Started from Bombay at 445 am, and made very good time till we crossed the Pune bypass and reached the Katraj tunnel. We stopped for breakfast at around 745 am, shortly thereafter. Our 40 minute breakfast halt let the traffic catch up with us - and the stretch towards Satara was quite painful. We hit a terrible traffic jam at Khambatki Ghat, with a combination of slow moving, indisciplined trucks and cars trying to weave their way through made driving a pain. Fastag worked well for me - but I got stuck behind a line of trucks at the Anewadi toll which cost me about 15 minutes (my fault for picking the wrong lane). The overall drive was slow till Karad, after which traffic eased a bit - arguably, you could have a smooth drive only after the Kolhapur exit. Stopped for an early lunch around 1215 PM near Nipani (asp refuelled there). We got going again after 1 PM, and progress was super smooth till we approached Belgaum. For whatever reason, Google maps told me to not take the Indal Road in Belgaum and to instead use a subsequent entrance. This took me to something called Patil Galli, a narrow street with vehicles parked on both sides and oversmart drivers trying to cut in created a logjam. That cleared to see me take a left next to a bus stand which a remarkably disciplined line of state transport buses was waiting to enter, leaving enough space for other vehicles to move from the left. A few more twists and turns got me onto to NH748 - where a remarkable amount of road work is going on - it seemed as if they are looking to turn it into a 6 lane road. I however was largely driving on service lanes since the main road was blocked. Finally reached a point where I had to turn right for the Bhimgad sanctuary.

I thought heavy vehicles are not allowed in this road - but there were plenty of trucks ahead, someone of whom were decent enough to pull over to let me (and other cars) pass - while others kept hogging the road. Passing similar convoys coming from the other direction was a challenge too. If the initial section was not great, we soon hit a patch of several km where the road was almost rubble. The last bit leading up to the Anmod checkpost turn was decent. The only consolation was that the trees kept the sun from hitting us too badly.

Stopped for a final time at Anmod checkpost. The road thereafter was fast (though I did pass one spot where the concrete had cracked), but you had to be careful since there was no shoulder next to the concrete slab. It turned from concrete to good Tarmac once we entered Goa. Finally made it to our hotel by around 5 PM - 12 hours 15 minutes door to door and about 10 hours 45 minutes drive time.

My last trip to Goa was via Chorla in 2018 - that was a fantastic road to drive on. This was definitely not so.

Quick question - when I head back, should I use the same route or drive via Amboli.
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 11:08   #3137
BHPian

Just came back from South Goa to Mumbai yesterday evening via Anmod Ghat as recommanded by many via Bhimgad sanctury. While going to South Goa from Mumbai we took the same route. Anmod Ghat route is longer compared Chorla Ghat and rover all the road is not good at many places and quite narrow too.You need to slow down or stop completely if a vehicle is approching from opposite direction. Looks like there is no alternative at the moment. There is another route via Ram Nagar but when I spoke to few drivers who travelled via Ram Nagar, they advised Ram Nagar road is too bad, time consuming and not suitable for sedan or Hatch back. We started from Mumbai at 5AM and it took 12 hours to reach Varca including breaks. On return we started at 10AM, faced Traffic at couple of the Toll Naka, the longest was near Satara.

Tractor trolly loaded with Sugar Cane makes journey slower inspite of being Sunday. At two places in side Goa google map took us where either there was no road or road was closed for repair. On return journey at karnataka Goa border check post we were asked to stop by cops for checking. I told one of the cop that we are not carrying any liquor however if he wishes to check he can, he understood and without checking allowed us to move on. there was no checking for Covid or of any kind at Maharashtra border. At Karnataka border including inside Bhimgad Sanctury they check for PUC, DL, Insurance and Vehicle registration card.

During our stay I travelled from South Goa to Gokarna, Road is quite scenic but narrow however better than Anmod Ghat.
DHARM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 15:25   #3138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post

Quick question - when I head back, should I use the same route or drive via Amboli.
Anmod itself. I was in Goa last weekend for a short bike ride. Decided to flirt with Amboli although my destination was South Goa. Got caught in a jam from Pernem till I crossed Mapusa. I was on my bike and still had no shoulder space to trudge forward. That road from Mapusa to Pernem is a mess till they finish the 4-laning. Best avoided. I returned via Bhimgad and did a 6 hour ride non-stop to Pune.

The Bhimgad route has about 6km of bad roads and beyond that an occassional stray pothole till you hit Khanapur. 4-laning of Khanapur - Anmod - Goa route is under protest right now.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 15:31   #3139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you want to avoid the hassle of heavy vehicles on the Anmod route, start early (5.30 - 6:00 AM) from Goa if possible. On Nov 23, I started from Nanu Resort in Betalbatim at 6:00 AM and stopped for breakfast at Hotel Sanman in Belgaum at exactly 9.30 AM. For crossing Belgaum, use Congress Road - Bogarves Circle - Rani Chennamma Circle - Hotel Ramdev - KLE Medical College Campus route for joining NH4.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 21st December 2020 at 15:33.
comfortablynumb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 19:58   #3140
BHPian

Quote:
Drove down to South Goa (Betalbatim) yesterday from Bombay. Used the Belgaum - Bhimgad Sanctury - Anmod Ghat route which everyone recommended for South Goa. It was certainly not the most pleasant driving experience - if the NH748 - Bhimgad Sanctury route is the better option, I dread to think how bad the Chorla Ghat route must be.
An update from my guys as I reached here on Saturday night after driving whole day from Mumbai and I wasnt allowed the bhimgadh stretch as I reached the check post after 6pm. I was told to take Chorla and it was horrible, no shoulder space, full of traffic and bone crushing craters. Please avoid.

I will be headed back in Jan and since I am in south I hope Bhimgadh still holds the key. Hopefully with a early start can avoid trafiic. Belgaum stretch is confusing so its best to know the exact route before you dive in.
WheelWake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 20:16   #3141
BHPian

Looking to travel to Kankavli day after tomorrow. I am planning to leave by 3 AM from Chembur and reach Kolhapur by 9 AM. Will take the Gagan Bawda route to Vaibhavwadi and then to Kankavli. The idea to leave so early is to avoid the Bikers on Satara Kolhapur road. I have four questions which you all can help.

1. Is it safe to start at 3 AM? Will the December Fog affect visibility on the Mum-Pune expressway? Especially on the Lonavla ghat?
2. There is night curfew in Mumbai, will they not allow to pass the Khalapur toll?
3. Is there any other route to reach Kankavli? Last month took the Gagan Bawda route, it was bearable. However I want to avoid going through Kolhapur city.
4. Is the old highway good for a sedan? (Ameo DSG)

Thanks in advance!
Old 22nd December 2020, 21:40   #3142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I rode the Tiger to North Goa (Mandrem) in August via Amboli and would definitely recommend that route even though its not a natural choice for South Goa.

Incidentally I am currently in Pune and scheduled to leave for Goa (Nerul, near Candolim) early AM tomorrow. Family trip so its the 3 GT this time. I plan to depart around 5.15 / 5.30 am and will take Amboli. Hopefully that should give me a couple of hours headstart over your departure and halt for quick breakfast only somewhere around Kolhapur, which will hopefully save me some of that catch up traffic you mentioned. I will post another update post the drive on how Amboli route is from a car standpoint.

Last edited by Axe77 : 22nd December 2020 at 21:42.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 08:49   #3143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar
Hey,
1. Heard the road is terrible till Chiplun. So bad that it can take double the time to reach there.
It is true. Don't bother to take it till Chiplun. Instead take:

a. Gaganbawda to Kankavli
b. Amba ghat onward to Sakharpa.

Quote:
2. Driving an Ameo DSG. Is it safe to drive such a low slung car on this road?

Not on NH66 in the current state

Quote:
3. Plan to leave as early as 3 AM. Will December Fog be a concern? Visibility would be poor?
3am will take you to the ghats well past sunrise. Very little or no chance of hitting fog.

Quote:
4. Can you share with me the Gmap route if possible. (8779091770 is my whatsapp number)

Look forward your reply.

Regards,
Aditya
Chembur to Kankavli?

https://goo.gl/maps/XYZXEZrVEMCRnits9 (Via Gaganbawda)

https://goo.gl/maps/zNKt8PrDfAnChTEN6

Looks like even Amba ghat is a bad idea. Stick to Gaganbawda

If you want to try a new one then you can also try Anuskura Ghat. Heard it is recently relaid: https://goo.gl/maps/rxA1iDUZwkSjoPQQ7 (adds 30 minutes to your drive)

Replying to your PM here.

Last edited by moralfibre : 23rd December 2020 at 08:51.
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 11:15   #3144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
I am planning to leave by 3 AM from Chembur and reach Kolhapur by 9 AM......
2. There is night curfew in Mumbai, will they not allow to pass the Khalapur toll?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Incidentally I am currently in Pune and scheduled to leave for Goa (Nerul, near Candolim) early AM tomorrow. ..... I plan to depart around 5.15 / 5.30 am and will take Amboli.
VWAllstar and Axe77, I am heading to North Goa from Pune tomorrow morning. I was planning to leave by 5am but was concerned about the impact of the curfew.

Were you able to pass unhindered?

I took the Amboli route to North Goa in the second week of Nov and it was fine except for one 20-30min patch as the ghats were ending. Even that wasn't horrible as we saw low slung cars like a Honda City make it through unscathed.

On our return, Google Maps took us on a route that bypassed Pernem, it was a very narrow road and meeting oncoming traffic would have required backing up a bit and generally 'adjusting' but the road was much better and would have been quite enjoyable in a sporty car.

Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:34   #3145
BHPian

Quote:
Looking to travel to Kankavli day after tomorrow. I am planning to leave by 3 AM from Chembur and reach Kolhapur by 9 AM. Will take the Gagan Bawda route to Vaibhavwadi and then to Kankavli. The idea to leave so early is to avoid the Bikers on Satara Kolhapur road. I have four questions which you all can help.

1. Is it safe to start at 3 AM? Will the December Fog affect visibility on the Mum-Pune expressway? Especially on the Lonavla ghat?
3. Is there any other route to reach Kankavli? Last month took the Gagan Bawda route, it was bearable. However I want to avoid going through Kolhapur city.
4. Is the old highway good for a sedan? (Ameo DSG)

Thanks in advance!
I started from Mumbai at 5AM towards South Goa last week, there was no fog, encountered heavy truck traffic just before lonawala but still reached Pune within 2 hours and not found much issue with bikers on Satara-Kolhapur Road.
DHARM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 14:33   #3146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I will post another update post the drive on how Amboli route is from a car standpoint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awarty View Post
VWAllstar and Axe77, I am heading to North Goa from Pune tomorrow morning. I was planning to leave by 5am but was concerned about the impact of the curfew.

Were you able to pass unhindered?
Quote:
A quick update from my drive from Balewadi Pune today AM, in case it is useful to anyone traveling this week.

5:10 am: Left from Pune (close to Balewadi). First stop after 205 kms at Hotel Sai International (little before Kolhapur) - reached there around 7.30 am for breakfast and fuel top up.

Route was fine. Annoying truck traffic driving on the right lane, (specially up to Satara but later too), which requires you to weave in and out but driving at a steady speed you can still make good progress. Good part of early start is you avoid a lot of the morning local traffic on that entire route. Second issue is the entire highway is really dark with virtually no lighting or even reflective strips. Please do factor that in if night visibility is a concern.

8:05 am: Left from Sai International and barring a couple of 5 min halts (swapped wheel with wife for an hour or so) we came non stop to Nerul (near Candolim). Route was Nipani, Amboli, Sawantwadi, Insuli, after that taking the further left near / on the left of Satarda bridge and then cutting in finally to hit Nerul.

Reached our destination at 12:30 pm.
Total distance door to door: 443 kms.

The road throughout was absolutely acceptably for the 3 GT. A few bad patches but nothing of undue concern. Traffic was heavy at times but again, we were never in a jam as such, despite the 4 laning road works going on for a long part of the route in Goa.

Hope this helps anyone traveling to North / North - Central part of Goa.

@Awarty: Sorry just realised your question was in relation to the curfew. No - I did not face any curfew linked issues.

I think the aim of the curfew is to have people avoid large gatherings during those hours.

A personal car traveling out should not be a problem.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd December 2020 at 20:46. Reason: As requested
Axe77 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 19:48   #3147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A quick update from my drive from Balewadi Pune today AM, in case it is useful to anyone traveling this week.

(...)

Hope this helps anyone traveling to North / North - Central part of Goa.
Very useful, Axe. Am driving on Saturday, planning to leave just before 6 am from Chandani Chowk. This timeline suits perfectly- thanks for the inputs!
Old 23rd December 2020, 20:03   #3148
BHPian

Quote:
@Awarty: Sorry just realised your question was in relation to the curfew. No - I did not face any curfew linked issues.

I think the aim of the curfew is to have people avoid large gatherings during those hours.

A personal car traveling out should not be a problem.

@MODS: Please do merge this in with my previous post. Thank you.
Thanks!

Enjoy your time in Goa.
Old 23rd December 2020, 20:40   #3149
BHPian

Looking at the posts, we can have a Team BHP meet on the Mum- Goa highway in the next few days

Keep an eye if you see random people waving their hands seeing the TBHP sticker.

Finally going to take a newer route to Kankavli - Anuskura Ghat. Thanks to Moral Fibre and subsequent posts. Will update on the route in detail in 2021

Last edited by VWAllstar : 23rd December 2020 at 20:42.
VWAllstar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 20:45   #3150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally going to take a newer route to Kankavli - Anuskura Ghat. Thanks to Moral Fibre and subsequent posts. Will update on the route in detail in 2021
Sorry if my post confuses you even more, but Phondaghat via Radhanagari WLS is also an option for traveling to Kankavli. However, no idea of the current road conditions in it.

Will look forward to your update, whichever option you choose finally.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 23rd December 2020 at 20:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks