Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2021, 09:39   #3256

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
Here are the directions of the road that I took to Ajra last week. I have tried to mark it on map with the prime spot villages that I remember; just dont follow it to the T. Dont enter the villages and stay on the main road. There are villages at regular intervals and locals know the way in case you are unsure and need to inquire. The road is single lane throughout, in excellent condition, and picturesque. Sugarcane and other fields throughout on both sides; refreshed my memories of my drive to Amritsar from Bhatinda. It was good drive on the otherwise uneventful and boring highway till Kolhapur from Mumbai.

https://goo.gl/maps/dbEJ1vrEJ7Lrv2PWA
I think this route via Ajra from Kolhapur to Goa is the best way.
Thanks for sharing that the route is picturesque. Looking forward to the road trip next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
News from 3 days back is Covid negative report is still mandatory to enter KA from MH. Does not seem that will change till MH starts recording lower numbers again. Check out the below link to my post (#3233) for the route I took from Kagal to Ajra avoiding Nipani and Kognoli toll. Or else you have the Gaganbawda route from Kolhapur.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5012128 (Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries)
Looks like its a major detour/different route if one takes the right at Kagal leaving the NH48

If the roads are good then it would be worth doing it.. Finally this route meets the Nippani-Ajra route at Bahirewadi

Will wait for any new update in the next few days

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriansarita View Post
I did the route suggested by T.S. on Saturday and it was pretty good.

Thank you @T.S. for suggesting the route and @adriansarita for reconfirming this.
Finally, I have an updated route in my Kolhapur-Goa leg of the journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livezero View Post
Update on Chorla Ghat and KA Border crossing:
Two Options:

Kolhapur-Belgaum-Chorla Ghat-Goa: 240kms (Route-1)
Kolhapur-Kagal-Gorambe-Ajra-Goa: 227kms (Routre-2)

Apart from the few kms saved in Route-2 any other feedback on the Ajra-Banda-Mapusa leg to Goa?

Via Belgaum, means get to stop and buy some Kunda, and hopefully hear some Belgavi Kannada.. A small town near called Sambra, near Belgaum is my birthplace. So going back after so long will stir up some emotions?

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-route1.jpg

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-route2.jpg

Mod Note: Please avoid back to back posts. Use Multi-quote feature instead

Last edited by ampere : 20th March 2021 at 10:31. Reason: back to back posts merged
Old 20th March 2021, 10:41   #3257
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Monk View Post
Apart from the few kms saved in Route-2 any other feedback on the Ajra-Banda-Mapusa leg to Goa?
If your destination is in central or South Goa, use Chorla ghat route. If it's in North Goa (Calangute, Vagator, Candolim etc.), use the Amboli ghat route.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 10:50   #3258

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
If your destination is in central or South Goa, use Chorla ghat route. If it's in North Goa (Calangute, Vagator, Candolim etc.), use the Amboli ghat route.

That's good advice.
However Kolhapur to Goa via Chorla is shorter distance ()though by just 5km)
Any idea how Amboli Ghat is? Recent posts say that road via Chorla ghat is good with no heavy vehicles allowed.
Old 20th March 2021, 14:20   #3259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's good advice. However Kolhapur to Goa via Chorla is shorter distance ()though by just 5km) Any idea how Amboli Ghat is? Recent posts say that road via Chorla ghat is good with no heavy vehicles allowed.
Don't know, I never go to North Goa, so haven't used Amboli in a while. You might find some posts on the last few pages about the condition of the Ajra-Amboli-Goa route.
Old 20th March 2021, 14:59   #3260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea how Amboli Ghat is? Recent posts say that road via Chorla ghat is good with no heavy vehicles allowed.
Amboli was exceptionally smooth in December when I returned via Amboli. The route through Goa on NH66 has loads of diversions - so depending on the time of the day, it could be bad. I drove early morning, so had no problem.
Old 23rd March 2021, 23:00   #3261
BHPian

Unfortunately I met with an accident in Chorla on my return from Goa. The "Duke" dude banged into my front bumper. I was travelling at 30 kmph where he was cruising at around 80kph at minimum. He was an enthusiastic biker (the ones who feel they are on the race track) twisting and turning his way in the ghats on the turn and ended up being on the wrong side of the road and lost his control. All of a sudden from no where before I could even react, he banged into my Polo.

My airbags got deployed and I now have an estimate of 3l for repairs. Thankfully no one was hurt including the biker. I have never claimed insurance in 7.5 years of me driving this vehicle and have done a lot of long drives. Suffering heavy financial loss now as the older vehicles do not have zero dep insurance.

I would strongly recommend against Chorla route as it is very narrow and every local driver i talked to said that they see accidents on daily basis on this route. In comparison, Amboli which is what I took when we went from Mumbai was a wider road and would prefer that any day.
abhatt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 10:10   #3262

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
Unfortunately I met with an accident in Chorla on my return from Goa. The "Duke" dude banged into my front bumper. I was travelling at 30 kmph where he was cruising at around 80kph at minimum. He was an enthusiastic biker (the ones who feel they are on the race track) twisting and turning his way in the ghats on the turn and ended up being on the wrong side of the road and lost his control. All of a sudden from no where before I could even react, he banged into my Polo.

My airbags got deployed and I now have an estimate of 3l for repairs. Thankfully no one was hurt including the biker. I have never claimed insurance in 7.5 years of me driving this vehicle and have done a lot of long drives. Suffering heavy financial loss now as the older vehicles do not have zero dep insurance.

I would strongly recommend against Chorla route as it is very narrow and every local driver i talked to said that they see accidents on daily basis on this route. In comparison, Amboli which is what I took when we went from Mumbai was a wider road and would prefer that any day.
So sorry to hear about the accident & the impending financial hit , and glad that you and your family is safe.

Will take your advice.. I was not so keen on the Ghat route right from the word go.. we will stick to the Amboli route...

A bigger concern is the RT-PCR test that is being asked at the border. Any latest update if reports are being asked at the Karnataka & Goa border?
Old 24th March 2021, 11:01   #3263
BHPian

Quote:
So sorry to hear about the accident & the impending financial hit , and glad that you and your family is safe.

Will take your advice.. I was not so keen on the Ghat route right from the word go.. we will stick to the Amboli route...

A bigger concern is the RT-PCR test that is being asked at the border. Any latest update if reports are being asked at the Karnataka & Goa border?
No checks anywhere except when you are heading into Karnataka from Maharashtra near Nippani. One of the routes shared above skips that and was decent. I used that while going to Goa. There were no checks for Goa to Karnataka or Goa to MH.

Amboli is also a ghat route btw but just a bit broader i feel.

Last edited by abhatt : 24th March 2021 at 11:02.
Old 24th March 2021, 12:11   #3264

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
No checks anywhere except when you are heading into Karnataka from Maharashtra near Nippani. One of the routes shared above skips that and was decent. I used that while going to Goa. There were no checks for Goa to Karnataka or Goa to MH.

Amboli is also a ghat route btw but just a bit broader i feel.
The latest I hear from earlier today is that RT-PCR test is mandatory as soon as you enter KA from MAH.

It looks like we will end up doing the test and carrying the report with us. Better safe that being held up and told to be in self quarantine till results come in or worst told to go back.

Will be careful in Amboli ghat..
Old 24th March 2021, 12:24   #3265
Senior - BHPian

I am planning a Goa trip and was checking about Covid-19 protocols. Came across this article which was published 2 days ago.

Goa Health Minister Vishwajit Rane on Monday said he would be placing a proposal in front of Chief Minister Pramod Sawant to make COVID-19 negative certificate mandatory for people flying in from neighbouring states like Maharashtra, Karnataka and Kerala.

https://www.financialexpress.com/lif...tails/2218001/
Old 24th March 2021, 12:35   #3266
BHPian

Reached Goa on Monday night, left Pune at 530pm arriving Siolim at 130am.

- There is a Covid-19 check-post at Nippani but we were not stopped or asked anything
- Took the Nippani - Ajra - Amboli route
- Road is in great shape including the Amboli ghat, until Ajra look out for speed breakers.

Took the Sawantwadi route after descending the ghat as I remember from my December experience that the Banda short-cut is in a sad state.

After Sawantwadi, the NH is in shambles almost all the diversions are in pretty bad shape as compared to December. After taking the turn to Pernem, it was all back to great roads again. Encountered a herd of Sambhar on the Pernem ghat, it was a lovely sight.
Trojan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 13:14   #3267

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDelight View Post
Update from my last trip on 10th march.

Chorla route is good and most people use it.

Belgaum -khanapur- Anmod -molem route is complete avoid. Not suitable for a car. Do not trust google maps
The roadwork is not expected to complete for one year.
Hi, Last November, we ventured in our trusty Duster on the Belgaum -Anmod - Molem stretch as per Google maps and it was one of the worst driving experiences ever, wouldn't recommend that route to even my worst enemy.
Chorla route anyday !
Dr Carlton Pere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 15:17   #3268
BHPian

Sorry for the late update, but Chorla is the way to go for people commuting between Panjim (& South Goa) to Pune/Mumbai or
Bangalore to North Goa.

We did our journey from Cuncolim to Mumbai on Sunday. We started quite late at 5.45PM. Yeah I know its late but it was our trip back after 3 months of joyful stay in Goa. It felt like we are moving house.

We reached the Chorla start after it was already dark. I remember Chorla I did for the first time during blazing summer and it was kind of dark under the ghats due to dense trees. Also, i was just praying that the section to be done up well as our trip down in December was extremely excruciating. Lo and behold, it was not only done up 99% of the stretch, it felt they broadened the lane as well.

However, I will still recommend caution as there a trenches on the side with no shoulder room at many places. I drove through the night to reach Mumbai home at 6.

I also took tea breaks on the way at MacD in Kolhapur and Food plaza at Lonavla. At Kolhapur, all the locals were roaming without masks, but funnily when a police jeep arrived all of them had masks on within 5 seconds. As if Corona travels with Police jeep.

Thanks to all fellow Bhpians to have posted updates on the Chorla.

Tip:Also, at MacD i saw the prices of Cappuccino was Rs150 but if you order two you would need pay only Rs 200 and if you order it from the MacD app you would need pay just Rs 150!
WheelWake is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 23:15   #3269
BHPian

I’m going to drive from Mumbai to central Goa this weekend. Based on most posts above, the Chorla route seems to be the best one. Is that correct?

Can someone recommend a few places with clean washrooms along the Mumbai-Pune-Kolhapur-Goa route? We’re carrying our own food so that’s not a problem but still trying to figure out decent non-crowded washrooms along the way (especially for my wife).
Crow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 16:13   #3270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
I’m going to drive from Mumbai to central Goa this weekend. Based on most posts above, the Chorla route seems to be the best one. Is that correct?

Can someone recommend a few places with clean washrooms along the Mumbai-Pune-Kolhapur-Goa route? We’re carrying our own food so that’s not a problem but still trying to figure out decent non-crowded washrooms along the way (especially for my wife).
We usually stop at Sai International before Kolhapur since it is approx. 3 hrs/ 3.5 hrs drive time from Pune and we are ready to make our first pit stop. It has a large dining area (non A/c) and large washrooms and relatively clean when we stopped there last year.
jogidada is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks