Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2021, 15:16   #3376
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
I am planning to travel to Goa from Bangalore via Chorla or Anmod, on the 15th or 16th of September along with my parents. All of us are fully vaccinated so I hope there won't be any issues at the Goa border. We plan to drive on to Mumbai after a day in Goa, so I wanted to know what are the border restrictions at MH-Goa border. Do they require RT-PCR reports compulsorily, or is a vaccination certificate accepted(both doses)?

Also, I read at least 2 instances above of the cops on KA side at MH-KA border letting people through with just the vaccination certificate. If anyone else can confirm this that would be great (for our return journey).
A close friend travelled to Goa earlier today from Mumbai. At the Kognoli toll, they were asked for the RTPCR Report, but when they said they are heading to Goa and showed their vaccination certificates, they were allowed to go ahead.

Goa border should be fine with vaccination certificates. On your way towards Mumbai, there is no checking. However, if you do come across a check point, they will let you go ahead since you have vaccination certificates.

So no stress! Enjoy the drive and please post pics!
RJ2285 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 01:37   #3377
BHPian

Hey guys planning Goa trip in November.

Mumbai (Mulund) to South Goa. Wanna know status of the new highway that is being constructed.

First time will be taking my X3 on a long road trip since I bought it 2 years ago. Phew…that was a long time back.

What’s the best route ?

Appreciate the suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Old 10th September 2021, 06:36   #3378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjaygoyal View Post

Mumbai (Mulund) to South Goa. Wanna know status of the new highway that is being constructed.

First time will be taking my X3 on a long road trip since I bought it 2 years ago. Phew…that was a long time back.

What’s the best route?
I am driving to South Goa from Mumbai today. I will be taking my X1. We will be halting at Belgavi tonight and will take the chorla Ghat route to South Goa tomorrow. I will keep you posted. Cheers.
RJ2285 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 01:32   #3379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
I am driving to South Goa from Mumbai today. I will be taking my X1. We will be halting at Belgavi tonight and will take the chorla Ghat route to South Goa tomorrow. I will keep you posted. Cheers.
Look forward to your experience buddy. Keep us posted
drjaygoyal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 11:01   #3380
BHPian

I am travelling to Goa from Pune on Friday, 17 September. I have heard from a couple of sources that they were not allowed to enter the Karnataka border and were turned back. Still not sure if that was because they only had the vaccine certificates and not the RTPCR or if they have just closed the border.

Do let me know if anyone can confirm if this really is the case or if it is because of lack of RTPCR etc.

Will need to re-plan the route accordingly.
Old 11th September 2021, 16:30   #3381
BHPian

I travelled this route on the 7th of September. I was travelling with my parents and a family friend, all fully vaccinated (except for me). I had taken my second dose just a week earlier, so I was a week short.

However, after extensively reading the posts on this thread, I insisted that all of us get our RT-PCR tests done, despite the others having been double dosed months ago.

Just before the Kognoli toll plaza, there's a bridge across the Dudhganga River, which is the official border between Maharashtra and Karnataka. On the 7th, all passenger cars were stopped in a single file, on this bridge, and there were cops asking where the cars were heading to and vaccination status. I could see that the checking was not uniform, some were waved through quickly but for other cars they were closely inspecting documents/phones etc. Some were cursory and others were more detailed.

When we pulled up, the cop asked me for my destination. When he heard we were going to Goa, he waved us through. Didn't ask for vaccination certifications or RT-PCR, or anything. I had to quietly listen for the next 10 minutes, from my fellow passengers on how I subjected all of them to RT-PCRs for no reason ...LOL, but regardless of how things turned out, I still think it was the right decision. It seemed pretty clear that for other cars, something was being asked and some documents were being checked - maybe they were heading to Bangalore or elsewhere in Karnataka - who knows?

So you never know. My recommendation is just get it done. With Murphy's Law, if you don't have it, chances are you'll be asked for it.

Few additional thoughts on this drive-

- We left Powai at 6:15 AM and were aiming to hit Kothrud, Pune around 9:00 for breakfast. The Expressway is as good a drive as I remember, with a few excellent rest areas and large petrol pumps. The Ghats are stunning as ever and look like a carpet of green was rolled over the hills with the hill tops lost in the clouds. Drives like these just make you happy. Ended up reaching Kothrud around 9:15.

- After Kothrud, we drove straight down NH48, past Satara and Karad. The initial plan was to stop at Karad for lunch, but nothing seemed great and the ones that I had shortlisted on Google Maps, including a Kamat, turned out to be shut. So finally ended up having a meal at a random place about 30 mins before Kolhapur.

- This stretch is really beautiful. Carpets of greens on both sides and lovely hills in the distance.

- There are lots of restaurants as you enter Kolhapur, and through the city. So if you can push it till Kolhapur, this is a good place for a meal.

- Final destination was Mandrem, but after all the posts earlier warning against crappy roads on the Amboli Ghat, decided to take Chorla Ghat route instead. Did not regret it

- The Chorla Ghat road has no issues, barring a few potholes here and there, because of the incessant rains. I was very thankful for the advice shared by others on this forum earlier. Despite the few potholes, this drive was one of the most beautiful I have ever done, anywhere in the country. It was magical. It's like driving through a dense tunnel of green, with trees tightly overlapping above, creating a canopy for kilometres at a stretch.

- *Important Advice* Please time your drive so you complete the Chorla Ghat section of this journey (i.e the section from Belagavi to Goa border) before sunset. I got a little late, and sunset happened mid-way through this section. First of all, driving in the light before dark really ensures you appreciate this stunning drive as well as the view from a few spots. Second, in this season, it is raining heavily, and just after sunset with the dense foliage it got dark really really quick. And then a dense cloud rolled in, and I was driving through dense fog for the next 15 KM. While, this did make the drive super interesting, but it was admittedly a little nerve wracking as well, as visibility dropped to barely 5 - 10 metres and my speed dropped to 10-15 Kmph, as I was doing sharp bends down the hill. While the drive itself was uneventful, it had to be done very carefully and it's unnecessary tension that can be avoided if you just time this section properly. Maybe in a different season it wouldn't have mattered.

- At the foothill of the ghat, just as you get off the hill road, there's a Goa police check-post asking for vaccination status and RT-PCRs. They checked for a few of us, but looking at all the elderly people in the car, took me on the honor system and waved me through.

- Goa has the worst roads of any state. So this last section of your journey, till you reach your final destination will take forever. But atleast you can enjoy having pulled off a super long drive, and recall some of the stunning views from earlier in the day, as you gingerly navigate these atrocious roads.

Cheers! Hope this helps. Drive safe.
solo_llama is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 20:15   #3382
BHPian

I’m heading back from Ponda to Mumbai on Monday. Does anyone have any restaurant recommendations for breakfast and lunch?

I’ll be in Belgaum around breakfast time (going via Anmod or Chorla). For lunch time I should be somewhere near Karad or Satara. Any recommendations are welcome.

Really wanted to have lunch at Dehaati in Kolhapur but it opens at 12.30pm and I’ll be well past Kolhapur by then.
Old 12th September 2021, 10:42   #3383
BHPian

Folks,

There are new speed cameras now in place on Mumbai-Pune Expressway.

Update from Sahil (SahilInfra): https://twitter.com/Sahilinfra2/stat...04043524231169

"Mumbai Pune expressway:
Beware everyone, new speed cameras on individual poles with flash, this one is on Mumbai bound lane on downward slope from Lonavla. Upto now speed traps where only present on overhead bridge structures"

The new location is prime to fine motorists given many have the tendency to speed up on the descent towards Mumbai.

Cheers!
VT-RNS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 11:11   #3384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
I’m heading back from Ponda to Mumbai on Monday. Does anyone have any restaurant recommendations for breakfast and lunch?

I’ll be in Belgaum around breakfast time (going via Anmod or Chorla). For lunch time I should be somewhere near Karad or Satara. Any recommendations are welcome.

Really wanted to have lunch at Dehaati in Kolhapur but it opens at 12.30pm and I’ll be well past Kolhapur by then.
In Belgaum you can try Tumkur thatte idli, in the lane diagonally opposite hotel Ramdev. Lots of local delicacies, it's very basic though food is excellent. Else hotel sankam residency.

In Karad, hotel Sangam is on the other side of the road. So is Surve s in Satara.

I don't really know status after Dec 2019, so please check before you go or be flexible with last minute changes

Enjoy your drive

Last edited by selfdrive : 12th September 2021 at 11:13.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 12:49   #3385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-RNS View Post
Folks,

The new location is prime to fine motorists given many have the tendency to speed up on the descent towards Mumbai.

Cheers!
Yep! I saw these on the way to Goa last week. Fortunately I wasn’t speeding but it’s a hard place to stay within the limit given the downward slope. The bigger problem on the Mumbai Pune expressway is really random speed limit signs. There are places where you see the limit as 100 on the left side of the road and 80 on the right. How are you supposed to know what’s the speed limit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
In Belgaum you can try Tumkur thatte idli, in the lane diagonally opposite hotel Ramdev. Lots of local delicacies, it's very basic though food is excellent. Else hotel sankam residency.

In Karad, hotel Sangam is on the other side of the road. So is Surve s in Satara.
Thanks a lot. I’ll check these out and report on Tuesday.
Old 12th September 2021, 12:51   #3386

Greetings friends,

We travelled from Mumbai to South Goa (Mobor, Cavellossim) on Sep 4, 2021 and returned back on Sep 1, 2021. We chose the Anmod Ghat while going to Goa and whilst returning took the Chorla Ghat.

The route takeaways -

1) Anmod ghat route is a lot more scenic as it winds its way through the Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary, stunning. However there are a couple of rough patches totalling approximately 5 kms, rough would be an overwhelming understatement here, these craters can seriously damage your car, especially for those driving vehicles with a low ground clearance and also for those not used to navigating rough terrain. Barring these couple of hellish, martian stretches, the road is a pleasure to drive on.

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-screenshot-20210912-12.18.16.png

2) Chorla ghat has some great views, although not as scenic as Anmod. However the route is a million times better than Anmod for the simple reasons that there are no really bad stretches of car destroying roads. Also the reason it saves time, because you don't spend an inordinate amount of time navigating those couple of brutal stretches on Anmod inching ahead trying to avoid those ominous sounds of rock beating down on your undercarriage.

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-screenshot-20210912-12.17.24.png

The bottom line - as of today, take Chorla even if you are headed to South Goa.

The travelling formalities (RTPCR/RAT/Double Vaccination)

While travelling to Goa, we were stopped just as we entered Karnataka. They asked us for RTPCR, we had it and and were waved through. Also upon entering Goa, we were asked for the same. They noted down the numbers etc. and waved us through.

Returning back there were hardly any checks. Somebody stopped us and we were waved through with a cursory check of the Double Vaccination certificates. We didn't have a RTPCR, although we did carry some Rapid Antigen Test Kits with us (just in case). And no checks further on...through Karnataka and Maharashtra.
preet.sidharth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 16:13   #3387
BHPian

Hi guys.... Am traveling next week to North Goa from Mumbai. I was told by the hotel that we need a RAT test even for kids more than 2 yo. Can anyone confirm this?

Also on the route, Google is suggesting only one route - Taking a right after Nipani and passing through Ajra and Amboli. Is Google maps fine or are there some turns that we should be aware of on the route?
Old 13th September 2021, 00:53   #3388
BHPian

Should we worry about latest warning by IMD about heavy rainfall in parts of Maharashtra.

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/mumb...TqOsPrI6UfcNVg

They have mentioned heavy rains in Satara/kolhapur in next 2-3 days, we are travelling from Pune on Monday, 15th sept.
Old 13th September 2021, 09:18   #3389
BHPian

Just exited Goa via Chorla ghat. Roads are good barring a few potholes. There’s one check post got Covid reports. They let us through after checking our vaccination report. You must be fully vaccinated or have an RTPCR negative to enter KA from Goa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag408 View Post
Also on the route, Google is suggesting only one route - Taking a right after Nipani and passing through Ajra and Amboli. Is Google maps fine or are there some turns that we should be aware of on the route?
I took this route with the help of Google Maps last week. It’s totally accurate. Just be aware of maps suggesting some “faster” routes along the way which may not be in the best shape (this applies only once you’re in Goa). Stick to the main roads as much as you can.
Old 14th September 2021, 20:43   #3390

The Chorla route is still in decent shape. There are however, larger sections in places where there is practically no road and huge cratered areas to pass through—it has become a bit worse than what it was a week ago. Chances are pretty high that a normal sedan will ground a lot in places if you are not super careful.

There was also a minor landslide, near the view point lay-by once you are near the top of the ghat. Nothing major, and was being cleared by a JCB when we passed that section.

And if you are passing through Belgaum, then count on that bit to be painful as well, traffic and general mayhem on the road can get frustrating in parts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks