Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2021, 18:29   #3496
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewire View Post
Hi - i've been following this thread and need help to choose between Karul ghat and Amboli ghat for north goa. Anyone who has traveled in the last couple of weeks and can throw some light on the comparative road conditions? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
On the best route, from Nipani don't turn right at Goa Ves, go ahead upto Hotel Sarker and onto the Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj road. Again once you come down Amboli, continue to Sawantwadi (do not take the google maps indicated left around Danoli). This route should help avoid part of the bad roads, however the stretch before Amboli is broken in patches that will require frequent slowing down.
Follow this and you should be good. I traveled to Goa on 18th Nov and returned on 22nd Nov, both legs via the same route.

Pune to Sankeshwar, 300 kms, 5 hours
Sankeshwar to Candolim 158 kms, 5 hours!
(including stops)

Enjoy Goa,
surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 24th November 2021 at 18:30.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 20:56   #3497
BHPian

Details from Pune Goa trip with missus and kids, done in the week after Diwali...

Left Pune late in the morning from Pune and made our way to Belgaum for a overnight stop at the Fairfield by Mariott hotel there. Stopped a couple of places on the way, once at Shirwal for vada pav and snacks around lunch time and then later around sunset just after Nipani at the Amar restaurant (opposite side) where the hills start. Generally avoided going over 80 kmph throughout the trip both ways on the highways - ghat roads negotiated at around 50 kmph... Getting overcautious as I get older I guess!

Road condition from Pune to Satara was the worst with many bad stretches and sudden deep potholes, I followed the advice of staying on the middle lane and generally fine. Satara to Kolhapur was actually decent, only two-lane which was a little tricky at times for overtaking, particularly with the sugar cane trailers. Kolhapur to Karnataka border was again quite bad. After entering Karnataka, road conditions much better but saw 3 dead dogs on the road, probably due to people putting pedal to the metal... But after crossing the hills after Nipani, the road surface was bumpy which required reduced speed - all potholes filled up but not evenly with the road surface.

Stopped for checks a couple of times, once after Kolhapur where the cop was keen to check drivers license, vehicle papers and Covid vaccination/ RTPCR test papers (for kids). Thanks to advice on this thread had carried all printouts (car registration was notarised copy though) and he let us go disappointed. Next was at Karnataka border where the post is immediately after a bridge. Cop waved us into the right lane and spent some time in queue but eventually waved thru when we told we are going to Goa!

Tolls with approx times as below:
  • 12:15: Khed Shivapur: Rs 100: Worst roads and toll management, highest toll!
  • 14:00: Anewadi/ before Satara: Rs 70
  • 15:00: Tasawade/ after Satara: Rs 80
  • 15:45: Kini/ before Kolhapur: Rs 80
  • 16:30: Kognoli/ just before border: Rs 75
  • 18:00: Hattargi/ before Belgaum: Rs 30
Total: Rs 435

One point of interest - behind the Farifield hotel at Belgaum there is a large solar panel array which is used to power an EV charging station by 'Urja', have attached a couple of pics of that. There were both 2-wheeler and Tata EV chargers (CCS + CHA 25kW).

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-chargingstn.jpeg

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-tata_ccs_cha.jpeg

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-wiringdiagram.jpeg

The hotel itself is quite good, had booked with dinner and breakfast which was very good and not too expensive. Also good Covid hygiene maintained by staff and most (!) guests. Would definitely recommend for anyone looking for an overnight halt on this stretch.

Left next day morning after a relaxed breakfast and went thru the Chorla ghat route. Crossing Belgaum took some time, thanks to Google Maps putting us on a horrible alternate route. The approach road to Chorla ghat was terrible with many ridiculous speed breakers, some with their leading edge worn down to create a step. The ghat road itself was horrible on the KA stretch, surprisingly good on the MH stretch (achieved by adding layers of tar over time resulting in treacherous edges) and bad on the Goa stretch. Despite the SX4's ground clearance and stiff suspension, scraped the bottom a couple of time, mostly due to not picking the right angle/ side of the road. Approach angle was fine, the break-over and departure angles were not, leading to double-scrapes! (avoided any scrapes on the way back by picking the side of road and angle of approach carefully). The main thing to be careful on the ghat is approaching vehicles big and small that cross the centre line, particularly at the bends . As mentioned, some parts of the road have steep edges so don't go too near them - saw one truck which had tilted over badly.

Only stopped once at Goa border where a very careful check of vaccination/ RTPCR docs was made (no check of vehicle papers). Filled up the tank after entering Goa to enjoy the super low prices! Goa roads post-ghat were generally OK with some good and some OK stretches till we got to north Goa after a lunch stop in Panjim (at Route 66, highly recommended!).

After arriving at the hotel we parked the car and then hired a couple of scooters (Activa 5g in not too great visual condition, but good mechanically) which we used to get around due to traffic, narrow roads, limited car parking spots and atrocious car parking fees. Tips - take along your good quality helmets as the single helmet provided with the scooter is usually in poor shape, check that you are getting an Activa 5g/ 6g model with self-drive number plates before going to get them, take photos of the vehicle condition at delivery and only deposit Aadhar card (easier to replace). Got scooter hire contacts via hotel and paid slightly higher (Rs 500 per scooter per day) probably due to post Diwali crowd. Another advantage of these scooters - didn't get stopped by local police anywhere (could see out of state cars getting checked several times).

If you're in north Goa around Candolim would defintely recommend Mikey's and Vishal's Goan Food as places to eat. And Decathlon if you need some beach/ swim wear.

Return was via the same route - even though Google Maps tried to route us via Goa highway/ Sawantwadi. Left in the morning a bit late (holiday mood!) and reached Pune around midnight after stopping a few times - a short break after crossing Chorla, lunch break at McDonalds Belgaum just before joining highway (good parking space) and at a Vitthal Kamat somewhere around Satara (not great!). Khed Shivapur toll was particularly horrible as they had closed down 3 lanes leading to a huge jam - exacerbated by local politicians/ goons barging into lanes. Missus drove from Belgaum onwards as I had to get some office work done which was stressful for both of us!

Got stopped several times on the return journey - at GA-MH border for alcohol, then at KA border for vehicle documents and alcohol and finally after entering MH border for vehicle docs and vaccination papers. No one wanted to see RTPCR test results which was good as the original ones were more than 3 days old. Didn't get RTPCR done in Goa as the charges are ridiculous - Rs 2,340 per person.

All in all, a good outing for the family and the old workhorse SX4. Even though petrol prices are insane and 15 yr registration end date is coming up, am seriously thinking of extending registration by another 5 yr, hoping the EV market is in a good shape then to take the plunge.
mrwalker is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 21:19   #3498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalker View Post

Stopped for checks a couple of times, once after Kolhapur where the cop was keen to check drivers license, vehicle papers and Covid vaccination/ RTPCR test papers (for kids). Thanks to advice on this thread had carried all printouts (car registration was notarised copy though) and he let us go disappointed.
Got stopped several times on the return journey - at GA-MH border for alcohol, then at KA border for vehicle documents and alcohol and finally after entering MH border for vehicle docs and vaccination papers.
Were you driving an MH registered car?Mostly MH cops target out of state cars.
Old 28th November 2021, 21:22   #3499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalker View Post
Details from Pune Goa trip with missus and kids, done in the week after Diwali...
Have they started asking for RT-PCR negative report for kids too now, at the KA border? According to a few older posts on this thread, only adults were being asked for one.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 28th November 2021 at 21:26.
Old 28th November 2021, 22:17   #3500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Were you driving an MH registered car?Mostly MH cops target out of state cars.
Yes MH registration car, but still stopped in MH a couple of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Have they started asking for RT-PCR negative report for kids too now, at the KA border? According to a few older posts on this thread, only adults were being asked for one.
At the MH-KA border they didn't bother to see anything once I told we're heading to Goa. At Goa border is where the most detailed check of Covid vaccination/ RTPCR tests was done. I would say better to take negative RTPCR reports for kids to be on the safe side..
mrwalker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 10:50   #3501
BHPian

We'll be doing our first Mumbai-Goa Road trip soon. Need recommendations for the route.
As of what's planned till now, we will take the Mumbai>Pune>Satara>Kolhapur. Things become less clear after that.

Google Maps show the following:
1) Kolhapur>Nipani>Sankeshwar>Belgaum>Jamboti>Chorla Ghats>Goa
2) Kolhapur>Nipani>Ajara>Amboli>Banda>Mapusa>Goa
3) Kolhapur>Gavse>Amboli>Banda>Mapusa>Goa

Other Route Suggestions that I came across on the forum:
4) Kolhapur>Gaganbawda>Karul Ghat>Kankavli>Patradevi>Panaji
5) Kolhapur>Nipani> Nesari>Tilari Nagar Ghat> Panaji

What would be the recommended route to take to Panaji post Kolhapur? Would prefer a route that is easy to navigate and drive on.

Thanks!
Old 30th November 2021, 22:06   #3502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umohan98 View Post
Google Maps show the following:
1) Kolhapur>Nipani>Sankeshwar>Belgaum>Jamboti>Chorla Ghats>Goa
2) Kolhapur>Nipani>Ajara>Amboli>Banda>Mapusa>Goa
3) Kolhapur>Gavse>Amboli>Banda>Mapusa>Goa

Other Route Suggestions that I came across on the forum:
4) Kolhapur>Gaganbawda>Karul Ghat>Kankavli>Patradevi>Panaji
5) Kolhapur>Nipani> Nesari>Tilari Nagar Ghat> Panaji

What would be the recommended route to take to Panaji post Kolhapur?
Thanks!
None of the above.

Following route seems to be in relatively better shape for going to Panaji..
Kolhapur>Nipani>Sankeshwar>Ajara>Amboli>Sawantwadi >Mapusa>Goa

This is closest to route 3 you suggested - except that Kolhapur ==> Amboli can be done either via
Kolhapur-Nipani-Goa Ves Hotel-Bahirewadi-Uttur-Ajara-Amboli
or
Kolhapur-Nipani-Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj-Ajara-Amboli
dmplog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 15:32   #3503

Hi All,

Does anyone have any updates if there are changes with respect to RTPCR report at KA border especially post emergence of Omicron Varient? I am supposed to travel from Pune to Goa on 5th Dec. Me and my wife are fully vaccinated and have a 3 yr old with us hence need the info to avoid any hassle/ delay.
Old 2nd December 2021, 15:53   #3504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0912 View Post
Does anyone have any updates if there are changes with respect to RTPCR report at KA border especially post emergence of Omicron Varient? I am supposed to travel from Pune to Goa on 5th Dec. Me and my wife are fully vaccinated and have a 3 yr old with us hence need the info to avoid any hassle/ delay.
All adults need a negative RT-PCR report with 72 hours validity for entry into KA, even if you are fully vaccinated. For kids, there's no clarity if a negative RT-PCR report is needed or not, but I am going to take one for my 8 year old kid when I travel to Goa on Dec 10, just to avoid any hassles at the KA border.
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 07:12   #3505
BHPian

Anyone who has been to Goa from Maharashtra in the last few days by road, any idea whether negative RTPCR report is needed to enter Goa, even if fully vaccinated? I'll be driving down to Goa from Mumbai on December 7. Any info is much appreciated.
Old 3rd December 2021, 13:16   #3506
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Hi Ajay,
If you are concerned about the KA border, why not cut in through Kolhapur and use the Gaganbavda ghat to join up with the old NH66 (17) so you don't enter KA at all?
Yes, you will lose a bit of time going through Kolhapur but I have been reliably informed that once you descend the ghat and join NH 66 at Talere the road from there to the Goa border is excellent.
Rgds,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 14:21   #3507

Thanks Suzuki San. I am planning to take Kolhapur--> Gargoti-->Ajra-->Amboli--> Goa route as suggested in one of earlier posts.

Gagan bavda route too seems to be good option.
Old 3rd December 2021, 22:25   #3508
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Suzuki San. I am planning to take Kolhapur--> Gargoti-->Ajra-->Amboli--> Goa route as suggested in one of earlier posts.

Gagan bavda route too seems to be good option.
Please update here if you plan to take Gaganbawda as I will be traveling on 6th
Old 4th December 2021, 19:16   #3509
BHPian

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine driving a Ford Endeavour (MH12) arrived in Goa yesterday evening.

My son in law and daughter driving an SX4 (MH02) arrived here in Goa a short while ago.

They both decided to use the Nipani - Amboli road.

RT-PCR Checks at Kognoli :
They were NOT asked for an RT-PCR at Kognoli though 3/4 cars ahead of them were stopped but appeared to move on without showing any documents. Same on both days. Basically, a very cursory check. However, that could change at any time. Please don't hold me to this.

RT-PCR Checks at Goa :
Yesterday, my friend was stopped at the Goa border along with 8 other cars. However, when he said he was a Senior citizen and fully vaccinated, he was allowed to jump the queue and let through.

Today, no documents were asked from my daughter at the Goa border. It was almost deserted. They did not even stop.

Road conditions :
My friend used the Dhanoli short cut after Amboli ghat. He said the road was 75% good, 20% bad and the remainder was being repaired.

Please note that he was driving an Endeavour, so ...

Various sections of about 80 - 100 m on the main highway in Goa are still in bad shape. Potholes of about 1 foot depth were present but one can crawl around them.

There are several bad patches before and after Ajra and around Sawantwadi.

Cheers,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 14:22   #3510
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Maybe a bit too late as you maybe in Goa by the time you read this. But poston for those having similar concerns. Reached Goa yesterday afternoon, at KA check-post, there was a queue but as soon as I mentioned the destination as Goa, there were no further checks and was asked to move on. No checks even on the Goa border. Me and my wife are fully vaccinated but didn’t do RT-PCR done for my 4 year old.

Last edited by TechLiveMANA : 5th December 2021 at 14:24.
TechLiveMANA is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks