Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2021, 10:11   #3541

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_g View Post
hi folks,
I am planning to drive down to North Goa (calangute) later this week with family. planning to do the drive spread across 2 days so as to take it easy.
I would do the following:
Day 1: Mumbai/Pune to Belgaum. You'll find options to stay elsewhere on this thread.
Day 2: Belgaum to Calangute via Chorla Ghat. You would cover this section in the daylight and hence the potholes would not be a surprise. 95 % of the route is good. Potholes are present at hairpins and in the 5 km section before and after Kankumbi village.

In Goa, post Bicholim, you can choose to go via Assnora (preferred route for local traffic) or via Nachinola (direct shorter route, but with narrow roads)
Old 20th December 2021, 16:22   #3542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_g View Post
is the pune-kolhapur-nipani-amboli-goa the recommended route? could some of you please throw some light
Yes. I went and came via this route only 3 days back. Though I did it in a day in both directions. The last 40 km towards north Goa is in bad shape, if you take this route. Break it into Mumbai-Nipani and Nipani-North Goa. Look for a nice place to stay in Nipani. The Belgaum road makes sense only if you're going to south Goa.
Old 21st December 2021, 00:43   #3543
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Bags are being packed as we speak and waiting for the negative RT PCR report. Planning to leave at 4AM on 22nd Dec. The destination is Colva.

Can you guys help me with good breakfast point (post Pune) and lunch (Pre Goa or just around the border)? We are trying to avoid crowded food plaza.

Also, given the current agitation, is there a route to be avoided?
Gmaps suggested route options is:
Mumbai - Belgaum- Yellur - Khanapur - BWS - Mollem - Ponda - Margao
Alternate maybe Chrola - but not sure which diversion to take?

Kindly Opine on above queries.
WheelWake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 08:41   #3544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
There are several small hotels in a line just before the approach to Khambatki ghat starts, where you can stop for breakfast. This location is about 1 - 1.5 kms after the "Pargaon-Khandala ST Bus Stand" on GMaps. They are not fancy places, but you will get basic fare like Misal, Pohe, Upma, Idli etc.

For lunch, the restaurants attached to Hotel Ramdev and Hotel Sanman Deluxe in Belgaum are decent, have sufficient parking, and more importantly, are right on the route to Goa.

For traveling to Colva, I would advise taking the Mumbai - Belgaum - Khanapur - BWS - Mollem - Ponda - Margao - Colva route. If you want to take Chorla, take the road that goes to the right at Piranwadi Cross (towards Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU) - Jamboti - Chorla) after Belgaum city, instead of to the left (left will go to Khanapur).

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 21st December 2021 at 08:50.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 12:24   #3545
BHPian

I am planning a trip from Goa to Kolad (Kundalika) and back. Google Maps shows me the old Goa - Mumbai route and I am not quite sold on it. Am wondering whether Goa - Kolhapur - Pune - Kolad is a better route that driving on the old highway. I've driven multiple times south of Goa on NH 66 but am not sure of how it is north of Goa. I remember reading about the Mumbai - Goa highway as one of those never ending projects. Most people I know go to Mumbai via Pune.

Anyone tried this route lately or maybe even last year? Would it be worth going, especially considering I will be travelling on a low GC sedan and not an SUV. The other option is drive to Pune and drive down but that adds about 3 hours extra to the trip.
Old 22nd December 2021, 14:10   #3546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Hi Guys,

Bags are being packed as we speak and waiting for the negative RT PCR report. Planning to leave at 4AM on 22nd Dec. The destination is Colva.

Can you guys help me with good breakfast point (post Pune) and lunch (Pre Goa or just around the border)? We are trying to avoid crowded food plaza.

Also, given the current agitation, is there a route to be avoided?
Gmaps suggested route options is:
Mumbai - Belgaum- Yellur - Khanapur - BWS - Mollem - Ponda - Margao
Alternate maybe Chrola - but not sure which diversion to take?

Hi WheelWake,

How was your journey? I am planning to take my new Tucson to Goa and wanted to check how is the route now.

Did you end up taking chorla? Any suggestions would really help me plan.

Hope you have a great trip.
Old 23rd December 2021, 10:27   #3547

Hi Praveen,
How was the drive back from Goa to Mumbai?
Did you you take the Anmod - Belgavi route back?
Hope you had a smooth trip
Old 23rd December 2021, 11:52   #3548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP_1812 View Post
Hi WheelWake,

How was your journey? I am planning to take my new Tucson to Goa and wanted to check how is the route now.

Did you end up taking chorla? Any suggestions would really help me plan.

Hope you have a great trip.
Hey, so i left Mumbai at 6.40AM and stopped after Pune for breakfast at Shivneri Misal Pav (not sure on the name). Took few bio breaks (in total approax 40 mins) and did Kolhapur McD Drive Thru (spent 30 mins). SO based on the gmaps, i might have just made it through the Bhimgad entry but i did not want to take any chance and hence decide to put navigation through Chorla. I was routed through Khanapur (city traffic which did slow me down but it was aroung 3.40, so not much traffic). I also took a no entry marked road (all cars were taking the same). Once i was out of city the roads were decent. But as mentioned earlier Chorla is good enough with few things to be considered:
- it can be slightly be longer 10-15 mins diff, depending on your destination
- there are huge craters and has it be done during day light, there is no way you will be handle them in dark as they are very mis leading. Some of the mini craters crop up on a decent patch and will be a big surprise in dark. Few of craters are huge and simple unavoidable so they can be navigated properly on a high GC car during day. I will recommend taking this route considering these points.

Also, note that there are speed guns stationed on Kolhapur/Satara strecth so please stick to the speed limits. Karnataka stretch was a breeze as always. Also, i crossed in KA at 2.40PM and there was no checking for RT PCR tests (we were carrying for all) and at GOA entry there was a ready folder presented to them which they just glanced through and let us through.

Best of Journey

I have a diff question for the experts here:
I have a roof carrier which i had to use this time as I all three rows up. I was pulled over twive between Kolhapur/Satara stretch stating that it is illegal and I will have to pay fine 1k/2k. Simple google search says it isnt illegal but more detailed response says it needs to be approved by the home RTO. Can someone please throw some light on this?
WheelWake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 09:15   #3549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricgonsalves View Post
Hi Praveen,
How was the drive back from Goa to Mumbai?
Did you you take the Anmod - Belgavi route back?
Hope you had a smooth trip
Hi Cedric,

I had posted my return experience in this post:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5218130 (Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries)

Overall my vote would go for Bhimgad but I can understand that some might prefer shorter stretch of horrible roads (Chorla) vs longer stretch of poor roads (Bhimgad).
Old 24th December 2021, 09:41   #3550
BHPian

Came from Pune to Sawantwadi / Banda yesterday in Toyota Yaris. Took Pune Kolhapur Nipani Sankeshwar Gadhinglaj Ajara Amboli Sawantwadi route.
Pune Kolhapur stretch is well documented above. Took a tea and bio break at Satguru Pure Veg near Satara. It is good place - neat Toilets, ample parking and dining area is clean.

For Kolhapur to Sankeshwar, filled fuel at BPCL Kognoli COCO pump. There was a check post at border which had a queue for out of state vehicles. Mistakenly went in KA registered lane which was empty. We were asked to move to the correct lane, but the next instant he changed his mind and waved us to go off unchecked (mind you we were not carrying RTPCR but double vaccinated).

Sankeshwar Gadhinglaj Ajara route is fair - very few bad patches. You can maintain speeds around 60-80 easily.

As you approach Ajara, you would encounter Sugarcane carriers which can slow you down. Ajara yo Amboli has fair bit of bad patches and your average speeds will drop.

Amboli ghat bad patches are being repaired. So, most of the ghat section would be good. After you descend Ghat section, the road surface is smooth.
dmplog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 10:35   #3551

Just crossed Kognoli check post on KA- MH border. Were asked for RTPCR. Were waived off when informed about full vaccination and destination being Goa. 2 Adults +1 child.
pallavi_sgi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 13:55   #3552

At GA-KA border at the end of Chorla ghat. Enquired about double vaccination certificate. After check allowed us to proceed.
pallavi_sgi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 18:32   #3553
BHPian

So we did the Mumbai to Goa trip and arrived yesterday afternoon. Took the usual, Belapur - Pune - Satara - Belgaum - Chorla - Utorda Route.

We broke our journey at Belgaum and stayed at the Regenta Resort, near Jamboti Village on the way to Chorla since our start from Mumbai was around 11.30am and we had a planned lunch to meet friends at Pune for an hour. Took us 9 hours, including stopover for lunch at Pune, one re-fuelling break and one tea + bio break at Sai Hotel, just before Kolhapur. The route from Mumbai to Belgaum is similar to what has been mentioned here with nothing new to add wrt road conditions.
On the MH / KA Covid checkpoints after Kagal, we were asked our destination which we mentioned was Goa and were let through without checking any documents, though we had them ready!
Belgaum to Goa was via Chorla, which took us about 3 hours with a short stopover for photos and encountered 2 checkpoints while entering Goa. First was for checking car documents - License, Registration, PUC and Insurance and another km further, our Covid vaccination certificates were checked. Got through without any issues and very quickly. On the road conditions, the Belgaum - Chorla Road is REALLY bad in patches, especially before Chorla Village, and I would strongly recommend that Sedans, heavily loaded and low GC cars AVOID it like the plague!! Our Hector sailed through but other cars had to slow down to a near dead stop at some stretches to navigate massive potholes and sections where the road is complete washed away. After Chorla, and especially the descent down the ghat is in very good condition, with some bad patches just before Goa border, but really nothing to worry about.

Last edited by PGNarain : 24th December 2021 at 18:35.
PGNarain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 16:40   #3554

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
Hi Cedric,

I had posted my return experience in this post:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5218130 (Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries)

Overall my vote would go for Bhimgad but I can understand that some might prefer shorter stretch of horrible roads (Chorla) vs longer stretch of poor roads (Bhimgad).

Thanks a lot Praveen. I might have missed the post earlier. This is very helpful
Old 27th December 2021, 10:38   #3555

I drove through from Pune to South Goa yesterday with a halt at Belgaum.

Left Pune at 2pm and reached Belgaum at 7:45 p.m. As already mentioned here, the road from Pune to Satara is terrible in places. All the toll plazas are a nightmare. Satara to Kolhapur in the evening is a good road but really difficult to cruise because of a lot of two wheelers and tractors carrying sugarcane. They should make this stretch 6 lane ASAP.

There were barriers at Karnataka border but no one bothered to check for any COVID reports. I guess it was because it was already evening then.

Roads in Karnataka are good all the way through to Belgaum. I went to South Goa and took the anmod ghat. The roads in bhimgad are bad and there are stretches inside the sanctuary that are absolutely atrocious but cars with good ground clearance and tyres can manage it. Roads in goa are really good.
We were stopped at the border for vaccination checks which took a minute.

On the way back, I'll probably take the chorla ghat road to see which one is better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks